PDA

View Full Version : Gender restrictions according to Gamespot?

Voidrek
08-17-2016, 10:39 PM
So according to this Gamespot article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/for-honor-builds-an-intimate-battlefield/1100-6442709/

there are several classes restricted to a certain gender. Here is the relevant quote from the above article:

"Roughly half of these playable characters are female. Each of the three factions has four heroes each: one is a man, one is a woman, and two can be played as either man or woman."

Just wondering if this is true? Obviously, we would need a response from someone on the Ubi team, but this is really disappointing, if true.

So we would not be able to play the following class/gender combos:

Female Lawbringer, Female Shugoki, Female Warlord

Male Peacekeeper, Male Nobushi, Male Valkyrie

Anyone else hoping this is just Gamespot making incorrect assumptions? lol

coma987
08-17-2016, 10:43 PM
This isn't a big deal, I mean is annoying but I am alright with it at least we got 6 heroes that can be any gender. The real problem right now is GAMEMODES, holy **** they were disappointing.

Willaguy2010
08-17-2016, 10:44 PM
From the trailer showcasing the factions released today, it seems to be true. I'm with you on this one, it's really disappointing to see we're locked to a certain gender for half of our classes regardless of faction.

Voidrek
08-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Yeah, the game modes were pretty disappointing too. I would love something that took a bit more time and had multiple stages and objectives. But I think the lack of male/female options for every class actually pisses me off more, somehow, lol.

No female Warlord is just freaking weird...

I am assuming they are running out of time and had to axe the other genders for the newer classes? i really hate that, but hopefully this is something they could work on post release...?

coma987
08-17-2016, 10:56 PM
Yeah, the game modes were pretty disappointing too. I would love something that took a bit more time and had multiple stages and objectives. But I think the lack of male/female options for every class actually pisses me off more, somehow, lol.

No female Warlord is just freaking weird...

I am assuming they are running out of time and had to axe the other genders for the newer classes? i really hate that, but hopefully this is something they could work on post release...?

Well the warlord was in the game since the first ever gameplay, he was in the background, so there must be a different reason for this. They have a few months till the release, I would imagine they would have time to model a female variant of armors in this time. So I am wondering some of the choices. But if I had to choose between female/male choice to 6 classes vs add more creative gamemodes, I would choose the gamemodes.

Voidrek
08-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I assume most people would choose more game modes, but in a perfect world we would get both. Ah well, it would be nice if this was just a big misunderstanding on Gamespot's part, but that is probably too good to be true.

Still, I wonder how much work it would take to create a male/female variant of an existing class as opposed to a brand new class altogether?

This was just a big surprise since the devs have constantly stated that we could choose a male/female version of our characters. I can only assume this ended up on the chopping block due to time constraints. Sucks...lol.

handheld brando
08-17-2016, 11:10 PM
The gender locked classes are.

Lawbringer-Male
Peacekeeper-Female
Nobushi-Female
Shugoki-Male
Warlord-Male
Valkyrie-Female

yote224
08-17-2016, 11:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO4iyF51f0&t=38m22s

Gender was a question asked at the masterclass directly and the response was very "play who you want, make them as you want" not "half the roster is locked in the gender department".

Gamespot has been wrong before so I wouldn't be surprised if this is all just misinformation. Were it not, I don't see it as a huge deal but a pretty shady move on Ubi's part for conveniently dodging that.

MathiasCB
08-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Gender locks are fine. But as said... the modes... I expected... Well... More...

zEzioVz
08-17-2016, 11:21 PM
This isn't a big deal, I mean is annoying but I am alright with it at least we got 6 heroes that can be any gender. The real problem right now is GAMEMODES, holy **** they were disappointing.
Finally, the truth has been spoken. According to my friend who participated in Tech Test, the game mode was really boring. You may feel excited at first but after a couple days, you will click the refund button :nonchalance:
PLEASE UBISOFT. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS GAME BE ANOTHER WATCH DOGS

MathiasCB
08-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Finally, the truth has been spoken. According to my friend who participated in Tech Test, the game mode was really boring. You may feel excited at first but after a couple days, you will click the refund button :nonchalance:

Maybe that mode wasn't to his liking. The tech test was very limited in a way. Remember that we'll get several more characters and a few more modes. Playing the same mode for several days(maybe even the same class) and get bored doesn't surprise.

So far the devs has not let us down. They're listening and they're doing one hella' good job! :D

handheld brando
08-18-2016, 12:11 AM

Gender was a question asked at the masterclass directly and the response was very "play who you want, make them as you want" not "half the roster is locked in the gender department".

Gamespot has been wrong before so I wouldn't be surprised if this is all just misinformation. Were it not, I don't see it as a huge deal but a pretty shady move on Ubi's part for conveniently dodging that.

I am assuming some of them are genderlocked because you are playing that specific character from the story. Lawbringer for example is very obviously Holden Cross or a representation of him.

Voidrek
08-18-2016, 12:22 AM
I am assuming some of them are genderlocked because you are playing that specific character from the story. Lawbringer for example is very obviously Holden Cross or a representation of him.

Hmm, that would be unfortunate. Would rather be able to make my own version of a Lawbringer. To hell with Holden Cross, haha.

And the campaign should be pretty long so I assume we will face other halberd users besides Cross, but I could be wrong. Still, quite a bummer, but I really hope that if these gender restrictions are legit that they can slowly be worked on post release, or maybe even leading up to release since we still have half a year to go.

zEzioVz
08-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Maybe that mode wasn't to his liking. The tech test was very limited in a way. Remember that we'll get several more characters and a few more modes. Playing the same mode for several days(maybe even the same class) and get bored doesn't surprise.

So far the devs has not let us down. They're listening and they're doing one hella' good job! :D
I hope so, bright side is the game only tested pre Alpha, hope they will listen the community and bring the necessary change to the game. If this game and Watch Dogs 2 is suck, man I can't imagine how Ubisoft next year will be like.
I really hope and trust Ubisoft in this game, especially after Watch Dogs is so bad. Now is the time Ubi need to show there experience

yote224
08-18-2016, 12:47 AM

Holden cross, the black stone legion lawbringer? Fighting alongside Warborn and Chosen? Where should the line be drawn here?

AvarusTyrannus
08-18-2016, 08:14 AM
So according to this Gamespot article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/for-honor-builds-an-intimate-battlefield/1100-6442709/

there are several classes restricted to a certain gender. Here is the relevant quote from the above article:

"Roughly half of these playable characters are female. Each of the three factions has four heroes each: one is a man, one is a woman, and two can be played as either man or woman."

Just wondering if this is true? Obviously, we would need a response from someone on the Ubi team, but this is really disappointing, if true.

GameSpot should hire better writers. Since when is exactly half the same as roughly half.

premiumart
08-18-2016, 04:22 PM
GameSpot should hire better writers. Since when is exactly half the same as roughly half.

I was thinking the same thing while reading XD.

Well its kinda a pitty that there is a gender lock but i think i get where they are comming from maybe they thought a female raider might not be flattering ? idk.

But on the flip side, blizzard didnt give a ****. There is a female barbarian and crusader in diablo and also zarya in overwatch.

They could always add stuff later right ? for 5$ maybe ? XD

MisterWillow
08-18-2016, 04:43 PM
They could always add stuff later right ? for 5$ maybe ? XD

Please don't give them ideas...

ZenBearV13
08-18-2016, 05:24 PM
maybe they thought a female raider might not be flattering ? idk.

You can play a female Raider, but not a Warlord. That is the most surprising one to me.

iHunny
08-18-2016, 09:03 PM
I hope they wont genderlock, or atleest perhaps releas the genders later patches. Only reson to genderlock is to lower the amount of work they need to do befor releas.

Voidrek
08-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Yeah, they could definitely add the missing gender options post release, just make sure you speak up about it during the upcoming Alpha. There will probably be a feedback section dedicated solely to Customization.

I wouldn't mind paying money for this type of DLC. As long as maps and modes are free so the playerbase doesn't get split, I am perfectly OK with having to pay real money for the more cosmetic DLC.

The only reason to gender-lock the newer classes is lack of time prior to release. As said, the female Raider looks pretty jacked in her own right and no one is complaining about her. She actually looks pretty awesome. I doubt anyone would be upset about a female Lawbringer, Warlord or Shugoki.

And that is just the female omissions, the male ones are just as annoying. Spears are already rare enough in games and both spear class weapons in this game are limited to female-only classes. Then you have the Peacekeepers, which pretty much resemble a Rogue pulled out of a fantasy setting, and they are also limited to women characters only.

Oh well, I don't want to rant and rave too much about this. Like I said, just leave feedback during the Alpha about this. Even people who aren't too miffed about the gender restrictions can help us if they support us with feedback as well.

Actually, now I wonder if we will get a chance to play any of these newer classes during the upcoming Alpha...? Hopefully so, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

WhoDaresWins
08-18-2016, 11:04 PM
I get the feeling this is a case of the models/animations for certain genders not being complete in time. Gamespot ran with it as "THERE ARE GENDER LOCKS!" when in reality, it's gender locked for the demo and by beta/release there won't be a lock.

iHunny
08-18-2016, 11:12 PM
I get the feeling this is a case of the models/animations for certain genders not being complete in time. Gamespot ran with it as "THERE ARE GENDER LOCKS!" when in reality, it's gender locked for the demo and by beta/release there won't be a lock.

Hope you are right.

Voidrek
08-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately, there was a twitter response to a direct question about female Samurai options that pretty much confirms the gender locked classes. Here is the link:

https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/765923792799531008

As I said, I would definitely offer feedback on this during the Alpha. I am sure the devs would like to add these options themselves if they had the time. They were pretty psyched about full customization and gender was always one of the first things mentioned when referring to it. So this has to be a decision made reluctantly due to lack of time.

But as post release content, I could definitely see this being a possibility.

jackofett93
08-19-2016, 08:29 PM
I hope my favourite class Orochi (samurai assassin) isn't gender locked

Demonbird
08-19-2016, 09:00 PM
A bit confused as to why you can't be a female Warlord, I mean I understand why Valkyrie and Nobushi are gender locked due to their names, though I'd prefer it if they had all genders available for all heroes because it'd be nice to see a variety of body types for both male and female characters. Like I don't like playing my male characters with huge muscles, and I'm sure some women wouldn't want to play small, frail characters but instead, big hulking ones like the Shugoki, and I'd like to see a male Nobushi as I prefer to have smaller characters that reflect what I'm like.

Voidrek
08-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Does Nobushi refer to a female specifically? I don't speak Japanese so the best I could do was google it and from what I gathered it seems like more of a general term and not female specific. But my info is flimsy at best, lol.

Anyway, I don't think that those two class names would hold them back on creating the alt gender options. The ability to choose your character's gender seemed like a top priority from the dev team if their earlier comments were anything to go by and this is evident in the fact that the first six classes released had full gender options. Now, with only six months remaining, they must have felt they were running out of time and so the option to switch gender ended up on the cutting room floor for the remaining six classes.

Hopefully this is something that can be remedied over time with updates.

Demonbird
08-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Does Nobushi refer to a female specifically? I don't speak Japanese so the best I could do was google it and from what I gathered it seems like more of a general term and not female specific. But my info is flimsy at best, lol.

Anyway, I don't think that those two class names would hold them back on creating the alt gender options. The ability to choose your character's gender seemed like a top priority from the dev team if their earlier comments were anything to go by and this is evident in the fact that the first six classes released had full gender options. Now, with only six months remaining, they mush have felt they were running out of time and so the option to switch gender ended up on the cutting room floor for the remaining six classes.

Hopefully this is something that can be remedied over time with updates.

I might be getting it confused with the Onna-bugeisha, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha but in Japan the naginata was mostly associated with women. I can't speak Japanese myself so it's just stuff I know from looking up stuff on Wikipedia.

handheld brando
08-19-2016, 11:17 PM
I might be getting it confused with the Onna-bugeisha, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha but in Japan the naginata was mostly associated with women. I can't speak Japanese myself so it's just stuff I know from looking up stuff on Wikipedia.

That is incorrect.

It wasn't mostly associated with Women. There was both a male and female version of a Naginata. The male version was the O-Naginata and the female version was called the Ko-Naginata because it was both smaller and lighter weight to compensate the smaller female stature.

Demonbird
08-20-2016, 12:48 AM
That is incorrect.

It wasn't mostly associated with Women. There was both a male and female version of a Naginata. The male version was the O-Naginata and the female version was called the Ko-Naginata because it was both smaller and lighter weight to compensate the smaller female stature.

Ah thanks for telling me that! I didn't know. So do you feel it'd work with both male and female Naginata users?

Voidrek
08-20-2016, 02:19 AM
Ah thanks for telling me that! I didn't know. So do you feel it'd work with both male and female Naginata users?

I don't want to answer for Brando, since he is probably more knowledgeable on the subject, but I don't see why a male wouldn't be able to use a naginata.

Actually, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear naginata (besides old school Bushido Blade) is this Donnie Yen scene from Highlander Endgame:

https://youtu.be/t6wSgwMjwXk?t=75

And I am pretty sure that doesn't even qualify as a naginata, lol. It's some sort of double bladed weapon, but it is the first scene I think of when the naginata is brought up. Still, I think it gets the point across that a dude can use a bladed staff with as much finesse as a woman.

Donnie Yen also has the long spear fight scene from the movie Hero. Once again, I don't think that qualifies as a naginata, but it's still a cool fight scene showing off some nice skills with a spear type weapon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y

AvarusTyrannus
08-20-2016, 04:00 AM
I keep hearing that Donnie Yen is retiring, but moments later there he is again.

Voidrek
08-20-2016, 03:52 PM
And now he is in Star Wars of all things, looking like he is going to kick some serious ***, lol.

handheld brando
08-20-2016, 04:08 PM

Both men and women used Naginata.

However, they were used primarily when fighting multiple opponents or when fighting horseback riders. They were used by men as often as women, however, women trained on them far more to defend their home. Later on Women began using it more often than men because most men were using a full katana while women were using the Ko-Naginata. So yes men can use it and have used it, however, it was considered primarily a womans weapon as time went on.

Seth-Abercromby
08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Personally I don't particularly mind that system. The trailer seems to make Nobushi out to be the leader of her faction and she does seem to allude to some of the famous female warriors who led very successful armies throughout Japanese history and were most often depicted using a Naginata as their primary weapon. On the other hand for Vikings, through most of their history they have been described as predominately if not exclusively male by eyewitness reports that survived the ages, which suggests they do not have a large history with female leaders at the warfront. We don't need to talk about why Shugoki is male, do we?

For knights, I can see why Lawbringer is male exclusive, because Polearms while being a lot lighter than one might think are still massive and require strength and endurance to wield. On the other hand, Peacekeeper's choice seems to be more founded on her movements rather than any historical need. The moves are designed to take full advantage of the naturally higher agility and flexibility of female bodies, fitting for an assassin. Valkyrie is mostly female due to her name, as lame as that sounds but I would be surprised if they didn't give her some interesting tools in terms of agility and flexibility.

handheld brando
08-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Personally I don't particularly mind that system. The trailer seems to make Nobushi out to be the leader of her faction and she does seem to allude to some of the famous female warriors who led very successful armies throughout Japanese history and were most often depicted using a Naginata as their primary weapon. On the other hand for Vikings, through most of their history they have been described as predominately if not exclusively male by eyewitness reports that survived the ages, which suggests they do not have a large history with female leaders at the warfront. We don't need to talk about why Shugoki is male, do we?

For knights, I can see why Lawbringer is male exclusive, because Polearms while being a lot lighter than one might think are still massive and require strength and endurance to wield. On the other hand, Peacekeeper's choice seems to be more founded on her movements rather than any historical need. The moves are designed to take full advantage of the naturally higher agility and flexibility of female bodies, fitting for an assassin. Valkyrie is mostly female due to her name, as lame as that sounds but I would be surprised if they didn't give her some interesting tools in terms of agility and flexibility.

I think Itagaki (if i have the right name) was the most famous female Naginata user and Itagaki was a female.

Voidrek
08-20-2016, 04:57 PM

While everything you say may indeed be true, I feel like none of that should really matter when it comes to customizing our warriors. The devs have actually been quoted as more or less ignoring historical accuracy when it comes to giving us options to customize the different classes. Here is a quote from Jason VandenBerghe from a recent Gamespot article:

"This game is about you. And so what kind of warrior are you, right? You can change the skin color of your Vikings, too. You want to have a black Viking? Knock yourself out," VandenBerghe told GameSpot. "It's who are you. I want you to be able to be in that game. I play the female warden. That's my favorite character, because she's great. And it's always been, from day one, it's been the core value of the team, and we've been doing this for a while."

[...]

"What's weird is that with all of our cultures, we're not trying to be true to history exactly. We're trying to evoke your fantasy of history, right?" VandenBerghe said. "We're trying to go, 'See, this is what you wished it had been like.' That's how we're trying to do it. It's wonderland. It's warrior wonderland."

So yeah, when it comes to historical accuracy, I don't think that has any bearing on their decision to make certain classes gender locked. It has to be due to lack of time.

And I am not sure about others, but what would be the big deal with a female Lawbringer or Shugoki...? Just like the female Raider, you could just have a slightly less bulked up version of their male counterpart. The female Raider is still ripped, but just slightly smaller than the male Raider. She still looks the part and I don't really see anyone complaining about her. The same could be done with the female Lawbringer and Shugoki.

Anyway, I don't want to come off as a ranting loon, but I was just taken by surprise after the first six classes had full gender options and how they kept mentioning that the option to fully customize your warrior, including gender, was very important to them. Then all of a sudden, the next six classes released are all gender locked...lol.

It's just the first bit of info that has kind of disappointed me about the game. Obviously, I am still looking forward to it, though. But I will continue to ***** about this until VandenBerghe himself comes over and tells me to shut up, lol.

Seth-Abercromby
08-20-2016, 05:50 PM
While everything you say may indeed be true, I feel like none of that should really matter when it comes to customizing our warriors. The devs have actually been quoted as more or less ignoring historical accuracy when it comes to giving us options to customize the different classes. Here is a quote from Jason VandenBerghe from a recent Gamespot article:

[...]

So yeah, when it comes to historical accuracy, I don't think that has any bearing on their decision to make certain classes gender locked. It has to be due to lack of time.

Sure, I'm just saying from a historical or martial arts perspective, those make the most sense to lock in for different reasons (aside from Valkyrie which is just laziness imo).

And I am not sure about others, but what would be the big deal with a female Lawbringer or Shugoki...? Just like the female Raider, you could just have a slightly less bulked up version of their male counterpart. The female Raider is still ripped, but just slightly smaller than the male Raider. She still looks the part and I don't really see anyone complaining about her. The same could be done with the female Lawbringer and Shugoki.

Okay, here's the only really big thing. The Dane Axe is a beast, but not of the kind of a Halberd or Pollaxe, which had to be large and versatile enough to beat full plate armor. The Dane Axe is lighter but more importantly much more balanced towards the center compared to a top-heavy poleaxe. They can of course be wielded by women, no doubt, but it's still somewhat of an uphill battle.

Shugoki is a special case because he looks and dresses in a way that is directly intended to inspire fear by invoking the imagery of an Oni. He is build like a Sumo wrestler and wields a massive oversized Kanabo no sane human would ever dare to wield on a battlefield. He is designed to be as ugly and fearsome as one could think of and that is one particular trait women can't quite replicate. It's a mix of culture and intended design that makes him pretty much locked to male by default.

Anyway, I don't want to come off as a ranting loon, but I was just taken by surprise after the first six classes had full gender options and how they kept mentioning that the option to fully customize your warrior, including gender, was very important to them. Then all of a sudden, the next six classes released are all gender locked...lol.

It's just the first bit of info that has kind of disappointed me about the game. Obviously, I am still looking forward to it, though. But I will continue to ***** about this until VandenBerghe himself comes over and tells me to shut up, lol.

I can see why that's rubbing people the wrong way and I'm not telling you to stop just because I don't necessarily agree, but I don't mind and in some cases I can appreciate the small details like with Shugoki and Nobushi that aid in making that class look unique because of its gender, not in spite of it.

AvarusTyrannus
08-20-2016, 06:08 PM
Sure, I'm just saying from a historical or martial arts perspective, those make the most sense to lock in for different reasons (aside from Valkyrie which is just laziness imo).

Okay, here's the only really big thing. The Dane Axe is a beast, but not of the kind of a Halberd or Pollaxe, which had to be large and versatile enough to beat full plate armor. The Dane Axe is lighter but more importantly much more balanced towards the center compared to a top-heavy poleaxe. They can of course be wielded by women, no doubt, but it's still somewhat of an uphill battle.

Shugoki is a special case because he looks and dresses in a way that is directly intended to inspire fear by invoking the imagery of an Oni. He is build like a Sumo wrestler and wields a massive oversized Kanabo no sane human would ever dare to wield on a battlefield. He is designed to be as ugly and fearsome as one could think of and that is one particular trait women can't quite replicate. It's a mix of culture and intended design that makes him pretty much locked to male by default.

I can see why that's rubbing people the wrong way and I'm not telling you to stop just because I don't necessarily agree, but I don't mind and in some cases I can appreciate the small details like with Shugoki and Nobushi that aid in making that class look unique because of its gender, not in spite of it.
I think that's the crux of it for me and why I'm not upset about it. If for those 6 characters the devs thought their vision was better suited for one gender or another for whatever reason than I trust them on that. Also if these some are prominent campaign heroes then I understand wanting to make them retain that character rather than become an archetype, for all the customization options afforded modern gamers there is still something to be said for a designed character.

While it may be true that it is just laziness or a lack of time preventing the gender options, I don't immediately jump to that conclusion as some have done, maybe that's the case and maybe some don't even think so but are still outraged they can't play a male Peacekeeper....I don't know what to tell those people, but I'm not as outraged with the devs about this.

Voidrek
08-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I am just miffed about the whole thing. I still think we would be better served with both gender options for each current class, not to mention any new classes that come out post release. As much as certain classes may seemingly fit one particular gender over another, I would still love the option to choose for myself exactly how I want my character to look.

I mean, having a fearsome and ugly female Shugoki could work just as well as a male, I would imagine. I guess it would come down to art direction, but I am sure they could pull it off.

And as far as the whole halberd vs dane axe thing, there are going to be instances of a female Raider picking up and tossing a male Shugoki like he weighs nothing, so I don't think we should let realism dictate what we can and can't be in For Honor.

I just think it came down to priorities and that gender selection for the last remaining classes ended up on the cutting room floor due to lack of time before release. I don't think realism or historical accuracy were major considerations, but I could be wrong...

I would love to hear them commit to eventually getting all gender options into the game, even if it's not a major priority for them and they slowly trickle out the updates over the life of the game. That would be awesome, but either way I can't wait to play some more of this game.

I am coming off really negative, but it's only really this issue that I have. Everything else seems really great.

Demonbird
08-20-2016, 07:13 PM

"This game is about you. And so what kind of warrior are you, right? You can change the skin color of your Vikings, too. You want to have a black Viking? Knock yourself out," VandenBerghe told GameSpot. "It's who are you. I want you to be able to be in that game. I play the female warden. That's my favorite character, because she's great. And it's always been, from day one, it's been the core value of the team, and we've been doing this for a while."

[...]

"What's weird is that with all of our cultures, we're not trying to be true to history exactly. We're trying to evoke your fantasy of history, right?" VandenBerghe said. "We're trying to go, 'See, this is what you wished it had been like.' That's how we're trying to do it. It's wonderland. It's warrior wonderland."

Don't mind like the canon leader and canon Nobushi being female, I'm all for females being in the game and I think a female Raider, Shugoki and Lawbringer option would be as nice as it would be for us dudes to get male Peacemakers, Valkyries (Yeah I know it's female only due to the name) and Nobushi. I'm still looking forward to the game and will buy it, but I'd like to see more options so guys can play the slender frail class and women can play the large hulking class.

The game looks like it's trying to be as inclusive as possible and I applaud it for that, though I hope they allow us to play the gender locked classes as the opposite gender so we're able to have our characters match the way we want them to and not be excluded from certain playstyles because they're not the gender we want.

Voidrek
08-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Don't mind like the canon leader and canon Nobushi being female, I'm all for females being in the game and I think a female Raider, Shugoki and Lawbringer option would be as nice as it would be for us dudes to get male Peacemakers, Valkyries (Yeah I know it's female only due to the name) and Nobushi. I'm still looking forward to the game and will buy it, but I'd like to see more options so guys can play the slender frail class and women can play the large hulking class.

The game looks like it's trying to be as inclusive as possible and I applaud it for that, though I hope they allow us to play the gender locked classes as the opposite gender so we're able to have our characters match the way we want them to and not be excluded from certain playstyles because they're not the gender we want.

Yeah, for sure. I mean, it's not really a top priority issue or anything, but it would be awesome if they slowly released the alternate genders over time. I am hoping all post-release classes will be available in both genders since they won't have any sort of deadline to meet like they do now. But who knows?

Either way, should be a fun game regardless.

Seth-Abercromby
08-20-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm still looking forward to the game and will buy it, but I'd like to see more options so guys can play the slender frail class and women can play the large hulking class.

Personally, I've never really understood pople tying some sort of condition to the character's gender and their identity or saying stuff like 'so females/males can do [...]'. I'm a dude and if it looks more visually interesting to me, I'll play a female Warden all day without a second thought. If they decide to add a female Lawbringer or male Nobushi post-release, I'd hardly complain. However, I also honestly doubt anyone in here would flat-out refuse to play any character just because their gender didn't match up and talking about any group in such generalizing terms seems more insulting to that group than helpful.

I feel it's important to distinguish between between inclusive and being visually or aesthetically diverse. Games are as inclusive as it can get, or have you been required to show your ID to confirm that you are the right kind of individual recently? I am all for adding in more aesthetic diversity with character customization, particularly in terms of gender, but it's good to remind ourselves that it is to benefit the game, not ourselves.

I like that this game tries to blend low fantasy and historically accurate martial arts (with artistic license of course) and there is some personal appeal to me when they don't try to force a female model into the aesthetic niche of someone like Shugoki or compromise the design of Nobushi to allow for a male model. I like that they used gender as an element in Peacemaker's design to give her moves a very feminine grace and fluidity to accentuate her fighting style. And not to downplay the difficulty of using Poleaxes, but that lady under Conqueror's helmet is probably more ripped than Raider. It takes some serious muscle to use a fail like that effectively.

I feel Vikings have the least reasons to have any particular gender associated to each fighting style. None of their fighting styles or weapon choices would naturally lend themselves better to either gender and from a design perspective, they're all pretty generic to be quite honest. It seems like the game was originally planned as Samurai versus Knights and Vikings got added as an afterthought halfway through the design stage.

Voidrek
08-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I mean it's not the end of the world or anything like that, but I still think it would be a net positive if every class had a choice of gender. And that goes for any future classes being released.

I mean, a dude can be just as lithe and graceful in combat as a woman, I would think. Nothing I saw from the Peacekeeper looked exclusively feminine to me.

And to the point about the Conqueror, I am betting he would have been male only if he had come with this second group of six heroes.

I don't think this has anything to do with x gender doesn't fit x class, but was strictly due to lack of time. The first set of six classes got fully fleshed out male and female versions, but this second set is all gender locked.

I just don't think that was their original intent especially how they kept mentioning how important it was to them to fully customize your fighter, including gender.

I do want to say that it is nice to see that no one in this thread has began attacking people because it seems that whenever this subject is broached on other forums it can get really ugly for some reason, lol.

So kudos for that.

Fatal-Feit
08-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Have they given us a reason for locking the gender for half of the heroes?

MisterWillow
08-21-2016, 01:07 AM

Not yet.

Hopefully it will be more justifiable than arbitrary.

ZenBearV13
08-21-2016, 01:18 AM

I agree that it is most likely time constraints, but I feel like I remember them saying early on that "you won't just be fighting as nameless, faceless warriors. Some will be actual characters." Might be wrong though.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 03:41 AM
I agree that it is most likely time constraints, but I feel like I remember them saying early on that "you won't just be fighting as nameless, faceless warriors. Some will be actual characters." Might be wrong though.

Hey Zen, I wonder if that was in reference to the single player campaign where you may play certain parts as say Holden Cross or the Valkyrie (Runa?) from the E3 Viking campaign. I do know for a fact that the Producer, Stephane Cardin, specifically said that all 12 multiplayer characters are only templates and they want us to fully customize them as our own, including their gender. He says it around 3:00 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwpJxQ3XBk

Not sure what happened...every class they announced at Gamescom is gender locked, lol.

handheld brando
08-21-2016, 04:25 AM
Hey Zen, I wonder if that was in reference to the single player campaign where you may play certain parts as say Holden Cross or the Valkyrie (Runa?) from the E3 Viking campaign. I do know for a fact that the Producer, Stephane Cardin, specifically said that all 12 multiplayer characters are only templates and they want us to fully customize them as our own, including their gender. He says it around 3:00 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwpJxQ3XBk

Not sure what happened...every class they announced at Gamescom is gender locked, lol.

His information is wrong.

BioJade said it in a twitter video that some of the classes are gender locked and it was a direct question to her from twitter.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal and people are making this into a bigger issue than it needs to be. 99 percent of the time your character will be in armor and when switching genders the only real noticeable difference is in the size of the characters.

The female Kensei, for example, is smaller than the male Kensei and her mask is slightly different. Other than that there is almost no noticeable difference between them. The difference between Male and Female Warden is, again, a size difference and the fact she has a ponytail otherwise, she is almost completely the same looking right down to the armor. Face it almost no one would play a female Shugoki, and again if there was a female Lawbringer it would look pretty much exactly the same. Except for.....Size and maybe a ponytail.

Seriously though guys this is not a huge issue and you guys are drastically making it out to be one through excessive nitpicking.

I don't know if you guys think you are going to be able to customize your faces because I am sorry to say, You can't.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 04:41 AM
His information is wrong.

BioJade said it in a twitter video that some of the classes are gender locked and it was a direct question to her from twitter.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal and people are making this into a bigger issue than it needs to be. 99 percent of the time your character will be in armor and when switching genders the only real noticeable difference is in the size of the characters.

The female Kensei, for example, is smaller than the male Kensei and her mask is slightly different. Other than that there is almost no noticeable difference between them. The difference between Male and Female Warden is, again, a size difference and the fact she has a ponytail otherwise, she is almost completely the same looking right down to the armor. Face it almost no one would play a female Shugoki, and again if there was a female Lawbringer it would look pretty much exactly the same. Except for.....Size and maybe a ponytail.

Seriously though guys this is not a huge issue and you guys are drastically making it out to be one through excessive nitpicking.

I don't know if you guys think you are going to be able to customize your faces because I am sorry to say, You can't.

I originally had a much more argumentative response, but I am deciding to edit it since I don't feel like creating a worthless argument that will just derail a thread that seemed to be going relatively smoothly.

I will just say that it may not be a big deal to others, but it is to me and I am trying to give that feedback to the dev team.

Take care.

ZenBearV13
08-21-2016, 06:34 AM
I originally had a much more argumentative response, but I am deciding to edit it since I don't feel like creating a worthless argument that will just derail a thread that seemed to be going relatively smoothly.

I will just say that it may not be a big deal to others, but it is to me and I am trying to give that feedback to the dev team.

Take care.

I appreciate your tact, but frankly his response was overly aggressive. I saw your original post and thought it was perfectly acceptable.

Gender matters to me as well, and many others. I remember in my first playthrough of Dark Souls 2 I went through the sex change coffin and didn't know what it did, as I was in full armor and couldn't immediately tell the difference. However the first time I died I noticed my voice was suddenly very feminine, and once I realized that my character was female I started to notice the difference in the walking animation. This bothered me so much that I almost deleted the character (I was a couple days in already) before I found out what the coffin did and went back through. I self-insert in my games. Playing as a woman is jarring and completely breaks my immersion if I'm not intentionally doing so for a character concept. If my favorite classes were gender locked as female I would be very bothered, even though the differences are "slight" by Brando's personal estimation. I disagree that the differences are slight,for that matter;; the size difference is very noticeable, as is the hair and armor, and most noticeable of all is the voice. I also disagree with his assumption that nobody would play a female Shugouki, because obviously he doesn't know everyone.

As for my earlier post, I'm trying to find the interview where I heard this. I stated plainly that I may be wrong, and if I am, oh well. It really doesn't matter.

yote224
08-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Stick to your guns, Voidrek, not to get all hugbox on you but I share many of the same concerns.

As it stands there were many initial comments proclaiming a customization system that would involve a many adjustable options. Of those, specifically, gender was mentioned quite a few times over.

The creative director specifically stating it, quoted earlier in the thread. The E3 masterclass specifically addressing the question stating it. Again with Stephane stating it at the recent gamescom. The only place I see it being spelled out otherwise is Bio on Twitter going through and saying that half the roster is gender locked.

There's a recap.

The way it appears to me is that a decision was made either
1.early on
In which case I think it was a not very nice thing to do with Jason stating it would be there, the master class quote of "the female word for warrior is warrior" claim which would seem to me almost intentionally misleading, and Stephane for furthering that misinformation by saying the 12 characters are templates with the option to choose gender.
Or
2.this chopping block theory saying perhaps models/animation just ate up too much time (which from Bio's response doesn't make it sound so)
in which case the people who have been mislead are wanting to voice their opinion that it's something they'd like to see upon release of further on down the line.

I would like to raise a question to the community no matter which side of the fence you're currently on about it but ask yourself this.
Rewind to a month ago before gamescom, if someone asked you about the customization of your character would you not throw in gender? This information about gender locked characters wasn't available to us until Gamescom, which again had Stephane stating it IS available to ALL 12 characters. Only on Twitter (which honestly I wouldn't have known about if not pointed out to me in these forums) is it stated otherwise.

As for your search, Zenbear, I don't recall that information being said and from that whole template thing from Stephane about the characters I'd say you're probably off but Stephane also mentioned that using revenge makes you unblockable so I don't really think he had all his information right. If I stumble across something that confirms or denies it I'll be sure to hit you up.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, my first post just wasn't sitting well with me for some reason. I just didn't want things to get too ugly. You know how these threads can go...

But yeah, Zen, I agree that the differences between the male/female versions are noticeable and do matter to people. There was a guy in the other thread, Patient_Fodder, who said he wouldn't even be buying this game if he didn't have a male option for the Warden.

And while I agree that female Shugoki probably wouldn't be the most popular class/gender combo, I still think it would be a worthwhile addition. You just know there would be a small group of players who gravitated to the female Shugoki, if only because she would be a rare sight on the battlefield. If for nothing else, it just adds variety and more options to the players.

And yote, I definitely think your 2nd option, the chopping block one, is most likely closer to the truth. I mean, everything they said prior to Gamescom lead me to believe that all classes in the game would have the male/female option during customization. That option seemed to have a lot of value to them. It's just too much of a coincidence to me that the first six classes that we got all had that option, but now, when we are closer to release, all the newly revealed classes are gender locked.

I just think, and hope, that this wasn't an intentional decision, but one that had to be made due to lack of time. This would at least create the chance that once things settled down they could start slowly releasing the other gender options for the six remaining classes. I honestly have no idea how much work that would take, though.

Patient_Fodder
08-21-2016, 02:40 PM
..... But yeah, Zen, I agree that the differences between the male/female versions are noticeable and do matter to people. There was a guy in the other thread, Patient_Fodder, who said he wouldn't even be buying this game if he didn't have a male option for the Warden......

This is true and very much the case still. If the game didn't have a Warden role in it I would not buy it either. I need a "click" with whomever/whatever I am playing in a game. Even with tabletop games.

I guess one could compare it to playing Mortal Kombat, would you play all characters or stick to 1 or 2, I am of the latter type, and if one didn't like any characters move on to DOA or something ....
At least that is how I see it. : o)

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 03:08 PM
This is true and very much the case still. If the game didn't have a Warden role in it I would not buy it either. I need a "click" with whomever/whatever I am playing in a game. Even with tabletop games.

I guess one could compare it to playing Mortal Kombat, would you play all characters or stick to 1 or 2, I am of the latter type, and if one didn't like any characters move on to DOA or something ....

Yeah, I am with you. Sorry for using you as an example, but you were helping me get my point across, lol. And yeah, I am the same way with fighting games. I literally skipped SFIV and V simply because none of the characters pulled me in, as crazy as that sounds.

I also tend to pick the character that appeals to me and stick with him/her through the life of the game. In Tekken I had 2 characters, Third Strike I had 1, MKX I had 1, etc. I guess we would be termed, "Character Loyalists" in the FGC, heh.

Patient_Fodder
08-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I am with you. Sorry for using you as an example, but you were helping me get my point across, lol. And yeah, I am the same way with fighting games. I literally skipped SFIV and V simply because none of the characters pulled me in, as crazy as that sounds.

I also tend to pick the character that appeals to me and stick with him/her through the life of the game. In Tekken I had 2 characters, Third Strike I had 1, MKX I had 1, etc. I guess we would be termed, "Character Loyalists" in the FGC, heh.

Feel free to use my quotes anywhere (suitable), I'll stand by them.
I'll go even one step further in saying that if my character would let out a female scream with every action, it would do my head in. Similar for male actions and screams, it sounds like a beginners' Karate class.

Now I am not saying that the game should be tailored to me in any way, how a game has been tailored will however decide if I buy it.
Where I could not care less about my character in a game such as Siege (where my role in the team is paramount), I still rarely play as a female but that has to do with the classes mostly..

With this game however, I need to be able to identify with my character.

iHunny
08-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Why I feel gender choice is good cos I want to play my character. if you force me into a gender I no longer playing my character, im playing what you think that character is. its just makes me happy to have choices. it allows me to feel im playing my character. I will probably play the restricted classes but not as much as the ones I customize for my liking.

handheld brando
08-21-2016, 08:19 PM

Take care.

I am not sure how it can even be a big deal.

I mean you can charge the female Wardens skin color.
But you will never see it because her armor never comes off.

That's how pointless it is to make this an issue.
Seriously though if you have ever played a MOBA or any game with defined roles and characteristics then this shouldn't be an issue to you. Nobushi for example seems like a neat little nod to Itagaki who was a very famous Naginata wielder.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 08:52 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. A female Warden looks and sounds completely different from a male Warden. In the armor we have seen so far, you cannot see his/her skin color, but who is to say we won't have a helm similar to the cinematic where you can clearly see the lower half of her face.

Why the heck are you trying to tell me what should and shouldn't be an issue to me? Freaking arrogant as hell. There are other people in this very thread that also care about this, so I am not alone.

Is it the biggest deal in the world? No, of course not, but that doesn't mean that myself and others can't leave feedback to Ubisoft to let them know that we care about gender selection for current and future classes. This thread was going fine until you decided to tell people what should and shouldn't be an issue to them.

Sorry for sounding like an A-hole, but I don't like when people try to tell others how they should feel.

Patient_Fodder
08-21-2016, 08:52 PM
I am not sure how it can even be a big deal.

I mean you can charge the female Wardens skin color.
But you will never see it because her armor never comes off.

That's how pointless it is to make this an issue.
Seriously though if you have ever played a MOBA or any game with defined roles and characteristics then this shouldn't be an issue to you. Nobushi for example seems like a neat little nod to Itagaki who was a very famous Naginata wielder.

Four people tried to explain their position, and you are free to disagree on the matter.
Something that may be pointless to you however, may be of importance to others, as shown above.

And no, I never played any MOBA.

handheld brando
08-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Four people tried to explain their position, and you are free to disagree on the matter.
Something that may be pointless to you however, may be of importance to others, as shown above.

And no, I never played any MOBA.

What is the issue exactly?

I can tell you from experience right now that the difference between a male and female Orochi, for example, is so minuscule that the only real difference you tell is the fact that the game tells you they are different. The is visibly no real difference between them except for very minor things. Female Warden is smaller than male Warden and has a ponytail and slight bend in the chest armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WzhdaVj8N4

Watch the first 10 seconds of this video and you will see that the only real difference between them is size. Otherwise, the Warden male/female is almost identical except for, again, minor things.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 09:13 PM
The dude you are responding to has literally already stated that if he couldn't play a male Warden he wouldn't even be buying the game. And I would be with him if I couldn't customize gender for any of the classes. Probably sounds silly as hell to you, but it isn't for us.

Listen, it's fine if this isn't an issue for you, but you should at least be able to respect another person's point of view. That is the only thing that is getting me a little riled up.

You could literally sit here and say that you don't give a F about gender or whatever else, but you shouldn't be telling us what should and shouldn't matter to us. That just doesn't make sense.

Patient_Fodder
08-21-2016, 09:17 PM
What is the issue exactly?

In short, the question (as with any game for me) is, does it appeal enough to me to pay for it and will I then enjoy playing it.
If I were forced to play a female, in any game, I will not pay (issue for the publisher) nor play (issue for me having some fun).

In the grand scheme of things this individual case is not of any importance, and nobody would miss the single noobish Fodder running around. But as there seem to be more people who have a similar feeling with regards to purchasing a title or not, the publisher may want to take an interest.

There are so few games which caught my attention in the last 15 years, I buy less than 1 a year nowadays. In the 90s it used to be close to 1 a month.

handheld brando
08-21-2016, 09:20 PM
The dude you are responding to has literally already stated that if he couldn't play a male Warden he wouldn't even be buying the game. And I would be with him if I couldn't customize gender for any of the classes. Probably sounds silly as hell to you, but it isn't for us.

Listen, it's fine if this isn't an issue for you, but you should at least be able to respect another person's point of view. That is the only thing that is getting me a little riled up.

You could literally sit here and say that you don't give a F about gender or whatever else, but you shouldn't be telling us what should and shouldn't matter to us. That just doesn't make sense.

It is not that I don't care about gender.
Its that people are making it out to be a far bigger issue than it needs to be and not giving any solid reasons as to why they want it other than the fact that they just do.

I understand that it is annoying to not be able to have full customization on every character but think of these like characters in the game. The Nobushi seems to have a prominent role for example and seems to be an overall defined character. Lawbringer is very obviously based on Holden Cross who is a major player in the knight story. If you think of them as representations of those characters then the issue isn't as bad.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 09:24 PM
But I have constantly stated that it is not an end of the world issue. It was just something that caught me by surprise with the latest 6 classes that were revealed. I wanted to put it out there that it would be awesome if they could fill out the missing gender options at some point in the future. I don't care if it takes them a year or whatever.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world or some gigantic issue since there is already a great variety of classes and genders to choose from, but I don't see a big deal with me just leaving feedback to the devs to show my disappointment with the brand new classes.

handheld brando
08-21-2016, 09:28 PM
But I have constantly stated that it is not an end of the world issue. It was just something that caught me by surprise with the latest 6 classes that were revealed. I wanted to put it out there that it would be awesome if they could fill out the missing gender options at some point in the future. I don't care if it takes them a year or whatever.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world or some gigantic issue since there is already a great variety of classes and genders to choose from, but I don't see a big deal with me just leaving feedback to the devs to show my disappointment with the brand new classes.

It's like I said before.

No one is saying you can't leave feedback. That would be detrimental to the devs. Let's do it in a constructive way, though. For example we know people want it but why and what good reason should those characters have those gender choices?

Male Lawbringer is pretty well defined by Holden cross as hes the pinnacle of what the Lawbringers seem to be. What benefit could we have from having a female lawbringer?Maybe having a female lawbringer in the lore could help us see how both the males and females are trained for example or perhaps a female shugoki is considered a role that is to be respected in the samurai culture?

We need good solid reasons other than "just because".

Patient_Fodder
08-21-2016, 09:31 PM
......Its that people are making it out to be a far bigger issue than it needs to be and not giving any solid reasons as to why they want it other than the fact that they just do....

...... I need a "click" with whomever/whatever I am playing in a game. Even with tabletop games.

In short, the question (as with any game for me) is, does it appeal enough to me to pay for it and will I then enjoy playing it. If I were forced to play a female, in any game, I will not pay (issue for the publisher) nor play (issue for me having some fun).

In the grand scheme of things this individual case is not of any importance, and nobody would miss the single noobish Fodder running around. But as there seem to be more people who have a similar feeling with regards to purchasing a title or not, the publisher may want to take an interest. ............

I am not sure how these are not valid reasons or how it lacks in explanation.
: os

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 09:42 PM
But the devs already stated that the ability to fully customize your characters, including gender, was an important value to them. They really wanted us to be able to make each character our own. I thought that was a great goal for them, but for whatever reason the six latest classes got the male/female option removed. I have to believe that it was due to lack of time. With the first six classes, I am assuming it was still early in the dev cycle so they had tons of time to flesh each and every class out, including for both males and females.

But getting specific, since I can't speak for everyone, I would have loved to be able to play a male naginata user, but I wouldn't want to see the female option removed because she looks cool in her own right. I don't know, I just thought giving each class a male/female option was a great goal for customization purposes.

Like right now, I am looking at the male Kensei and the female Warden as potential characters that I will play as, but I wouldn't touch the opposite gender of either of them since they don't appeal to me. You would have to ask everyone to get a specific answer, obviously. I can only speak for myself.

Now look, I agreed with another guy earlier in the thread that new maps, modes and classes are top priority just for the general health of the game. I was just saying if they had a small team slowly bring the 6 gender locked classes up to speed with the first six classes that would be great to me. But that's just me and I don't even know how much work it would take to create the missing gender options. It may realistically not be worth it, as much as I hate to admit it, but I really hope it's not.

So yeah, you would have to ask everyone in particular why this would be a worthwhile update for them. For me, it's just that certain class/gender combos appeal to me, while others don't. That and just for the sake of variety in enemies that we face on the battlefield, it would be nice to see.

handheld brando
08-21-2016, 09:42 PM
I am not sure how these are not valid reasons or how it lacks in explanation.
: os

He said to move from Mortal Kombat to DOA..... both of those have locked characters with defined personalities and fighting styles. He literally switched from one game with the issue he is complaining about to another game that has the same thing.

Playing a game with full customization helps me get immersed into my characters as well. Its why I love the Mass effect/Dragon age series so much. However even then if I can't define my character (I.E customize them gender/voice/style etc) then I try and get into and immerse myself in the character I have chosen.

In League of Legends for example, every character is defined and so when I play a character like Renekton I immerse myself int he fact that hes crazy and really aggressive and so my playstyle adapts to fit that and I Immerse myself in that style and Renektons kit is built around that playstyle. It is all about how far you want to be immersed in your characters. If you can't immerse yourself because the character doesn't have the genitals you want then were you really immersing yourself at all?

Patient_Fodder
08-21-2016, 09:49 PM
He said to move from Mortal Kombat to DOA..... both of those have locked characters with defined personalities and fighting styles. He literally switched from one game with the issue he is complaining about to another game that has the same thing.

I am sorry but you are missing the point.

In the full conversation it was explained that if one did not like the characters in one game, one would move to another (and not buy the first) which did have 1 or more characters which appealed, and therefore made the title worth buying. My responses were never on customisation and the possibilities, they were about would I buy a game with a main character I do not like. If customisation is the solution for likeminded people, then commercially it makes sense to add it. Do I have a problem with some locked classes, no, as a male Valkyrie makes no sense to me. Would I have had a problem with it if my preferred class(es) were locked "wrongly" (so let's say my preferred class would have been a male Valkyrie), absolutely.

Edit 2:
My original statement on the matter, I never complained.

If I could not play the Warden (which I can) as a male, I would not buy the game.
As this is not the case at the moment, I don't care, so I abstain.

yote224
08-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Brando, on the flipside of "why do you want them to be unlocked" I think the shorter list would be to ask why anyone would want less customization. As for these being actual characters embodied in multiplayer Stephane has already said they're templates so I think that theory has been debunked.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 10:52 PM

He wasn't really complaining about anything, he was just using it as an example. Basically, just saying that if he didn't gravitate towards any characters in a particular game then he wouldn't really have a reason to buy it and might move on to another game. That's all.

Let's be honest, though, adding the extra gender options to the 6 newest classes probably won't increase sales by any significant amount, if at all. But what it could do is offer some extra options that players could potentially really gravitate towards. So there may be someone who would have really loved to play a male Peacekeeper, but unfortunately can't. The end of the world? Of course not, but it still would have been a nice option to have.

So all I am trying to say is that it would be cool to get full gender options for all the current classes in addition to all future classes. Even if they are slowly trickled out over time in updates to the game. That would be awesome and add some variety to the opponents we face, not to mention add some potential class/gender combos that appeal to you or others.

No one is trashing the game or saying this is some gigantic problem. Not that I have seen, anyway. Still, it would make me and others happy, for what that's worth, lol.

Voidrek
08-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Brando, on the flipside of "why do you want them to be unlocked" I think the shorter list would be to ask why anyone would want less customization. As for these being actual characters embodied in multiplayer Stephane has already said they're templates so I think that theory has been debunked.

Yeah, yote, also it would be pretty boring if everyone was playing Holden Cross clones. I get enough of that in Uncharted 4 MP with a team full of Nathan Drakes, lol.

Willaguy2010
08-22-2016, 02:40 AM
What other reason could we even bring up besides the fact that we just want to be able to play a character who shares our gender? It doesn't effect gameplay, which I'm glad it doesn't, but gender selection is a qualitative component of almost any game. There's no tangible stat differences or anything like that, this is something purely guided by our want or diswant, so how could we even come up with a reason to allow both genders for every class than the fact that we want both genders?

I'm all for both genders for every class, and I'm glad a lot of people are, so this obviously is a big deal. What I believe classifies something as a big deal or not is determined by if the customers think it's a big deal or not, we are customers, and we think this is a valid issue that deserves to be solved.

ZenBearV13
08-22-2016, 06:30 AM
IMale Lawbringer is pretty well defined by Holden cross as hes the pinnacle of what the Lawbringers seem to be. What benefit could we have from having a female lawbringer?

According to the E3 2016 Masterclass (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO4iyF51f0), I am under the impression that Apolyon is a female Lawbringer, or at least is wearing Lawbringer armor. In the trailer she's holding a sword, so maybe she's a Warden instead, but it's not entirely clear. Regardless, we would have the same benefit from a female Lawbringer as we do a female Warden or any other class. Any person who likes the Lawbringer class and cares about being a female, either because the player is female herself or just likes to play female characters, can play how they want. Inclusion is best.

In League of Legends for example, every character is defined and so when I play a character like Renekton I immerse myself int he fact that hes crazy and really aggressive and so my playstyle adapts to fit that and I Immerse myself in that style and Renektons kit is built around that playstyle. It is all about how far you want to be immersed in your characters. If you can't immerse yourself because the character doesn't have the genitals you want then were you really immersing yourself at all?

This is not League of Legends. We're playing archetypes, templates, not defined characters. That's why the Lawbringer is called the Lawbringer, and not Holden Cross. You assume that we're playing characters from the story but have no factual basis for that assumption.

Vanderbergh said it himself (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/for-honors-director-on-the-game-that-took-over-a-d/1100-6442711/): "this game isn't about us creating characters and imposing them on you. This game is about you. And so what kind of warrior are you, right? You can change the skin color of your Vikings, too. You want to have a black Viking? Knock yourself out. It's who are you. I want you to be able to be in that game." The point is not to play a character, but to find yourself. That's the point of all the "Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai" hype. It was never about Faction v Faction, it's about the individual (https://youtu.be/UlU_6bgA0po?t=9m24s). It's about finding your inner warrior and expressing it viscerally in combat. If you can't be you because you're male but you identify with the Peacekeeper, then the game isn't accomplishing this cardinal goal.

What other reason could we even bring up besides the fact the we just want to be able to play a character who shares our gender? It doesn't effect gameplay, which I'm glad it doesn't, but gender selection is a qualitative component of almost any game. There's no tangible stat differences or anything like that, this is something purely guided by our want or diswant, so how could we even come up with a reason to allow both genders for every class than the fact that we want both genders?

I'm all for both genders for every class, and I'm glad a lot of people are, so this obviously is a big deal. What I believe classifies something as a big deal or not is determined by if the customers think it's a big deal or not, we are customers, and we think this is a valid issue that deserves to be solved.

Droppin' some science! ;)

AvarusTyrannus
08-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Apollyon killed a Lawbringer who didn't think her town was worth saving, and then took their armor as her own. That's just fluff though who knows how she fights or what hero archetype she is.

ZenBearV13
08-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Apollyon killed a Lawbringer who didn't think her town was worth saving, and then took their armor as her own. That's just fluff though who knows how she fights or what hero archetype she is.

Indeed. It's the moment he says "also" (https://youtu.be/FZO4iyF51f0?t=12m17s) that makes me think she is one, though he might be referencing her victim and not her.

iHunny
08-22-2016, 01:18 PM

Oh? I missed some extra story it seems, you have the source of this?

MisterWillow
08-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Oh? I missed some extra story it seems, you have the source of this?

It was from the E3 Masterclass. (11:25)

https://youtu.be/FZO4iyF51f0?t=11m25s

iHunny
08-22-2016, 10:11 PM
It was from the E3 Masterclass. (11:25)

Thank you <3

handheld brando
08-23-2016, 02:43 AM
Indeed. It's the moment he says "also" (https://youtu.be/FZO4iyF51f0?t=12m17s) that makes me think she is one, though he might be referencing her victim and not her.

I believe Apollyon is a Warden because in the trailer it appears she is holding a longsword.

N1GTHCR0W
08-23-2016, 04:33 AM

i don't agree to restriction gender ,this is so stupid ,what we can do about this ? the community reporters only reply with you have posted about how to earn money (sorry for my english)

handheld brando
08-23-2016, 05:20 AM
i don't agree to restriction gender ,this is so stupid ,what we can do about this ? the community reporters only reply with you have posted about how to earn money (sorry for my english)

I appreciate you joining the feedback man but if you could try not using the bolded letters at such a huge font size people would be more willing to answer you.

angelaerin
08-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Thank you for giving information..

Grivois_Gaulois
08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Not that a problem, aside from the lawkeeper which looks like total fantasy, valkyrie and nobushi are more suited to female char, valkyrie for obvious reason to anyone and nobushi because in feudal japan naginata was a weapon usually used by women.

Hence gender locks are rather relevant to me.

Patient_Fodder
08-25-2016, 04:40 PM
......in feudal japan naginata was a weapon usually used by women. ........

When delving a bit deeper into naginatas, as I knew nothing about the male/female naginata usage, it seems that the predominancy of female users of the naginata became the case after the introduction of firearms to the battlefield.

But maybe I did not delve deep enough.

Optionism
08-25-2016, 04:47 PM

There will be some who like what For Honor has to offer, and some will not. The game modes are nice to have, but the main (obvious) part of the game is player to player interactions.

As far as gender locks go...
https://youtu.be/_VwpJxQ3XBk?t=2m59s

'Nuff said. All 12 Heroes are just a template, and can be customized to your liking, whether it be a warden, berserker, lawbringer, nobushi, valkyrie, etc.

Voidrek
08-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Not that a problem, aside from the lawkeeper which looks like total fantasy, valkyrie and nobushi are more suited to female char, valkyrie for obvious reason to anyone and nobushi because in feudal japan naginata was a weapon usually used by women.

Hence gender locks are rather relevant to me.

I think I would rather them just change the name to something other than a Valkyrie if it allowed us a male Viking who could wield a spear/shield combo. I doubt she is going to have any sort of mythical abilities that would link her to an actual Valkyrie. So to prevent us an entire gender/class combo due to just the name would be kind of irritating.

And as for the Nobushi, I think a male could wield a naginata just as proficiently as a female. But that shouldn't really even make a difference. as they aren't really going off of what is historically accurate or realistic when it comes to allowing us the ability to customize our warriors. VandenBerghe in a recent interview:

[...]

So yeah, I don't think we should let historical accuracy limit the type of characters players can create. A male Nobushi would have been up there with the male Kensei as my class of choice, but now I don't even have that option. Not the end of the world, but I still want to let Ubi know that I would love this option.

I would also love to see what a female Shugoki and Lawbringer would look like. They would probably be up there with female Kensei as rare class/gender choices, but it would still be cool to see. And not having a female sword/shield Viking is just kind of strange to me.

So as I said earlier in the thread, the game is shaping up to be awesome. The fact that six of the twelve classes are gender locked is not going to ruin the game by any stretch of the imagination, but I would love to see the alternate gender options introduced over time, through updates, patches or even DLC. This way they won't be rushed to get it out the door and they could work on other stuff as their main priority (maps, modes, new classes, etc). Getting the six locked classes up to speed with the first six classes could be like a side project or something.

Like I said, though, I have no way of knowing how much work such a task would entail. It may realistically not be worth it, unless they released it as DLC, which I would be completely on board with. I know some people get up in arms over DLC, but if they legitimately work on something post-release, I feel like they should be compensated for it.

Anyway, going to stop rambling now...

Wildkelju
08-25-2016, 11:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cupf0qEsiLs
customization starts at 3.00

yote224
08-26-2016, 04:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cupf0qEsiLs
customization starts at 3.00

At E3 before that they addressed it as well.
"Can you choose your gender?"
Gaelec Simard-"Of course you can. You can choose your gender and also your skin color"
Eric Pope- "Yep"
Gaelec Simard- "There's a nice thing that we have on the team and there's a female word for warrior and that's warrior"
Geoff Ellenor- "It's not complicated for us. You can change your gender while you're customizing your character. You can change the skin color while customizing your character. It's really about who you want to play as. That's it."

Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO4iyF51f0&t=38m11s

but now after Gamescom's Q&A :
https://twitter.com/ForHonorGame/status/765911319535116288
If you watch the replies to all the questions about customization you can pick up on -
Bio-jade "...and even, for some heroes, your gender"
later on she went on to explain which ones are genderlocked but I'm having a hard time finding that link.

MisterWillow
08-26-2016, 05:24 AM
but now after Gamescom's Q&A :
https://twitter.com/ForHonorGame/status/765911319535116288
If you watch the replies to all the questions about customization you can pick up on -
Bio-jade "...and even, for some heroes, your gender"
later on she went on to explain which ones are genderlocked but I'm having a hard time finding that link.

I think it's the same one Voidrek linked me over here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1486304-Gender-restriction-(don-t-ignore-this-developer-s)).

https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/765923792799531008

yote224
08-26-2016, 05:32 AM
Thanks, Willow. That'd be the one.

MisterWillow
08-26-2016, 06:43 AM
Again, thank Voidrek. I couldn't find it either. :nonchalance:

yote224
08-26-2016, 06:49 AM
That doesn't sit well with me that this information is tucked away on just one social outlet, like I've heard people face to face mention For Honor and they don't seem to be aware of this information either.

iHunny
08-26-2016, 07:33 AM
That doesn't sit well with me that this information is tucked away on just one social outlet, like I've heard people face to face mention For Honor and they don't seem to be aware of this information either.

I hope it was misscomunication and all classes are gender customizable.

dasokux
08-29-2016, 01:47 AM
Haha...all of the classes I think are the coolest will probably be gender-locked...and not in the gender I want.

Why put gender restrictions in the first place? They stressed that they wanted players to be able to express themselves freely and to the point where you can have a Black Viking or a White samurai.

I'd normally say a male Valkyrie would be a bit odd, but this game has already sacrificed historical accuracy for the players freedom. Imo, it's better to be consistent with that. I think at the end of the day, freedom to the players will always be what comes out on top.

Voidrek
08-29-2016, 02:44 AM
Haha...all of the classes I think are the coolest will probably be gender-locked...and not in the gender I want.

Why put gender restrictions in the first place? They stressed that they wanted players to be able to express themselves freely and to the point where you can have a Black Viking or a White samurai.

I'd normally say a male Valkyrie would be a bit odd, but this game has already sacrificed historical accuracy for the players freedom. Imo, it's better to be consistent with that. I think at the end of the day, freedom to the players will always be what comes out on top.

Yeah, there are a few gender/class combos that I would have liked that aren't currently options, unfortunately. But regarding the Valkyrie, if they did decide to add full gender options for the remaining classes, the quickest solution would probably just be to change the name. Personally, I wouldn't care if I saw a male Valkyrie, but I agree that it would be a bit awkward, lol.

VodkaSlam
08-31-2016, 02:56 AM
If the others are can be switched, then it shouldnt be gender locked at all. Freedom of Customization. BUT, doubt itll be locked.

Yggdrasil_67
09-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Female Warlord would've made a bit more sense than Raider IMO but I guess I'm fine with the rest. Would love having male Peacekeeper though.

VIIITabbs
09-19-2016, 01:02 AM
I am really hoping they remove the gender locks. I like playing as a female for the tougher characters, but I don't like that if I want to play as a male, I have to be a character that just swings a big sword around.

RADAR__4077
09-19-2016, 01:53 AM
I don't have any issues with playing as a female in a story setting, but it doesn't make sense to pick and choose what classes get gender selection in the multiplayer part of this game. I don't see how a male viking with a spear (the class I think would fit my style best) is not allowed, when you have she-hulk raiders. My point is, either let us choose for all classes, or none of them. Otherwise it makes the customization feel really half-assed.

Also I think you can see a male "valkyrie" on a ship in one of the cinematic trailers. Maybe the faction one?

AvarusTyrannus
09-19-2016, 03:04 AM
I am really hoping they remove the gender locks. I like playing as a female for the tougher characters, but I don't like that if I want to play as a male, I have to be a character that just swings a big sword around.

Or a male Berserker, Orochi, Conq, Raider, Shugoki, or Lawbringer. I mean the truth is as big swords go only one, the Warlord, is locked to playing as a male.

VIIITabbs
09-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Or a male Berserker, Orochi, Conq, Raider, Shugoki, or Lawbringer. I mean the truth is as big swords go only one, the Warlord, is locked to playing as a male.

I was generalizing where I shouldn't have, I'm sorry. What I meant by that was that most of the male characters are bigger and beefier, or are hard hitters. The exceptions being the Warden and Orochi, which don't appeal to me as much. It really isn't a game-breaking issue for me, but I really like the aesthetic and finesse that it seems the Nobushi champion is going to get, and I really dig spears. It's more of an issue of me wanting to play as a male that isn't brute force or bulk, a male that is smaller but uses that to his advantage. It's similar to the reason I like playing champions like the Raider and Kensei as females. If I could play the Shugoki as a woman, I probably would.

I know how I sound, picky and whiny, haha. I'm just hoping to get my voice heard more than anything, I'm not going to cry if it doesn't change. :p I apologize for not being clearer earlier, I was in a rush.

Ragnar---
09-19-2016, 10:53 AM
You should be able to have male/female whatever, it's not like the game is 100% accurate.

Voidrek
09-20-2016, 04:19 AM
Yeah, just keep leaving feedback about it. The game is in a great state right now and is still 5 months out. I feel like this is something that could be worked on over time. I don't care if it is something implemented post-release that I need to pay for, lol. Just having full gender options for all current and future classes would be great.

I keep repeating myself, but learning the last six classes would be gender locked really surprised me. Seeing the first six classes have full customization options, I just assumed that would be the case for the remaining classes.

Anyway, hopefully they change their minds and decide to go all the way with the remaining six classes. We will see, I guess.

dceuxp
09-20-2016, 08:59 AM
having gender locks is fine, but its a bit jarring when you cant change genders for half the classes. I feel it should be one way or the other, not half in half.

Barzah
09-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Please no stupid gender lock in this game. Adding both gender on every class would likely satisfy most of player, including me. I mean the only (gender) problem in this game is the valkyrie class that describe as a female warrior, which mean creating male valkyrie is just stupid. Either create another name for male valkyrie, or just rename the class to something else and bam!! case solved.

Ziegentennis
09-20-2016, 12:00 PM
I think genderlock is pretty fine. why not? there are no handsome reasons.
otherwise i support, that everyone can just play the gender he/she is in real life. so get out your identity card and get access to your gender.

Why do you want play an female character in an game u just see armor with an head on it.

wtf... are here all in a puberty? :confused::confused:

iHunny
09-20-2016, 01:10 PM
I think genderlock is pretty fine. why not? there are no handsome reasons.
otherwise i support, that everyone can just play the gender he/she is in real life. so get out your identity card and get access to your gender.

Why do you want play an female character in an game u just see armor with an head on it.

wtf... are here all in a puberty? :confused::confused:

Or we do not project ourself into a character we are not and prefer looking at oposit gender rather then our own?

And how is it being in puberty that one whant to creat a character they think look good? And if YOU do not have a problem with gender lock in a game with customization like this do not meen all of us are. One personal preference is not better then anothers, let people have the options then to take them away.

AliceTheSilent
09-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Plus it wouldn't make much sense for half the classes to randomly be locked.

Now if only some of them weren't as ugly as sin. (Looking at you, female Conqueror. :/ )

Voidrek
09-20-2016, 03:38 PM
I feel like replying to that Zeig dude, but he doesn't seem worth it, to be honest.

And hey, Alice, I saw you post a few similar comments about the female Conq on the Alpha forums. Not a fan, huh? Hopefully, they have some really different looking armor sets for our characters because everything looks a little too similar to the base look. Maybe the Conq will get some different gear that will make her look cooler...? I will say, the female Conq is pretty damn ripped, though, lol.

AliceTheSilent
09-20-2016, 03:46 PM
I feel like replying to that Zeig dude, but he doesn't seem worth it, to be honest.

And hey, Alice, I saw you post a few similar comments about the female Conq on the Alpha forums. Not a fan, huh? Hopefully, they have some really different looking armor sets for our characters because everything looks a little too similar to the base look. Maybe the Conq will get some different gear that will make her look cooler...? I will say, the female Conq is pretty damn ripped, though, lol.

Honestly to me the conqueror doesn't look muscular, but kind of bulbously pear shaped. Kind of overweight. Like, it could be much worse but I just hate the current design.

Voidrek
09-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Honestly to me the conqueror doesn't look muscular, but kind of bulbously pear shaped. Kind of overweight. Like, it could be much worse but I just hate the current design.

Yeah, I haven't really messed around with her a lot and it's tough to get a good look at your opponent when fighting them. I just remember when I did try her, I could see the back of her arms and they seemed pretty ripped, heh. I am just happy we got a flail character to use. Seems pretty rare.

Avlaen
09-27-2016, 11:59 PM
RIp my Female law bringer and warlord. T_T so so sad if this is true, please dont let it be so!

Dienekes12
09-28-2016, 01:10 AM
I'm just going to throw my voice in and say that the gender restrictions were stupid. I hope they change them before release, or if it's too late to make 6 new models and designs in 5 months (which is probably the case) to either patch or DLC them in. Because it really is a pointless division.

Avlaen
09-28-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm just going to throw my voice in and say that the gender restrictions were stupid. I hope they change them before release, or if it's too late to make 6 new models and designs in 5 months (which is probably the case) to either patch or DLC them in. Because it really is a pointless division.

i really got hyped for all the customization and the ability to make my own warrior, but now im gonna cancel my pre order and wait unless confirmation that the classes wont be gender locked

EothK
09-28-2016, 06:30 AM
To me it seems very strange to limit 6 classes in gender it makes no sense. Especially considering the choices as said before by many. I mean Viking women fought alongside men often most of the time bearing sword and shield. Yet somehow the devs thought it okay to have them wield the 2handed axe but not the weapons they used most frequent in battle.... thats just weird.

Also in a game that lets you play as a black skinned Viking or a white skinned Samurai, which I think is great, I just dont get the restriction. Will it be a dealbreaker? I dont know but reading this has made some classes seem less interesting to me. Mostly because the choices are offered for the other classes it just seems plain randomness to not do it for others. And again who in the dev team thought Female raider > Female shield/sword... it makes no sense.... at all....

iHunny
09-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Well, as the customizations are right now, i will probably buy the game, but I do hope they add gender choice to all classes.

Avlaen
09-28-2016, 07:06 PM
i see 0 reason why any of the knight classes are gender locked, and nobushi are warrior nuns iiirc? so they could be warrior monks and nuns instead, warlord has no reason why it couldnt be female.

The only Difficult one to justify is valkyrie because of the name, could change the name or just say its an order of warriors that is "mostly" female?

JukeboxJuliet
09-29-2016, 03:37 PM
I could feel this way because the character I will likely be playing isn't part of the gender lock list, but idk... it doesn't bother me to the point where I don't want to play the game. At least there will be both male and female options.

Voidrek
09-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I am definitely getting this game, but I still think it sucks that we won't have full gender options for every class. Still keeping my fingers crossed that this could be sort of a long term goal for them to eventually get every class fully fleshed out with customization options. It doesn't have to be a priority or anything, though. Maybe something that could be worked on in the background and slowly released over time?

Once again, I don't know how much work such a task would require, so I don't even know if something like this would be feasible. I would definitely be happy, though.

We will see, I guess. I just want the Beta to be announced, at this point, lol.

Avlaen
09-29-2016, 05:05 PM
it just seems very wierd that they have SO MUCH customisation for all the classes, but then half of the classes cant choose something simple like gender.

Voidrek
09-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Yeah, as I said earlier in the thread, the only reason that I can see them making the decision to omit certain gender options is because of a lack of time to work on them. Everything we saw and heard before Gamescom gave off the impression that every class would have a male and female option. And up to that point, the six classes that we knew about did have that option.

Then all of a sudden, every other class in the game is locked to one gender or another...? I don't see why they would release every class that had gender options first, then follow them up with every class that didn't offer that option. If this was their plan to begin with, I would think we would have gotten a mixture of gender locked classes and non-locked classes.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that with the release date looming closer they decided to just focus on one gender for the remaining classes. Whereas with the first six classes they were able to give them full options since they still had a lot of time until release. So yeah, I am thinking the gender option for these last six classes ended up on the cutting room floor, unfortunately. Because, other than saving time and money, I don't see any actual benefit to limiting a class to a specific gender. It sucks.

I wonder if there is any concept art of some of these gender/class combos like the female Lawbringer or the male Peacekeeper. Just wondering if they did some work on these before deciding to ultimately cut them. That would be both cool to see and depressing at the same time, heh.

Anyway, like I said, I am holding out hope that we may get the missing options at some point in the future. I guess we will see what happens.

Masked_Yurei
09-30-2016, 01:22 AM
It does not particularly make sense for there to be male valkyries, or gigantic fat female juggernauts or tanks roaming about.

Playing exclusively as female it does blow that I will not be able to play as at least two classes that I was interested in, but whatever.

Care more about them balancing the broken combat system above all else. Alongside making more interesting multiplayer modes as a very distant second.

Gender options can screw off for a later date after release; the Alpha was unplayable by day three because of all the abusive players. There are at least two dozen class and combat system based features they need to change in order for the beta to be any different.

Avlaen
09-30-2016, 02:22 AM
It does not particularly make sense for there to be male valkyries, or gigantic fat female juggernauts or tanks roaming about.

Playing exclusively as female it does blow that I will not be able to play as at least two classes that I was interested in, but whatever.

Care more about them balancing the broken combat system above all else. Alongside making more interesting multiplayer modes as a very distant second.

Gender options can screw off for a later date after release; the Alpha was unplayable by day three because of all the abusive players. There are at least two dozen class and combat system based features they need to change in order for the beta to be any different.

why dosent it make sense for a big fat female character? we allready have female raiders.

JukeboxJuliet
09-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Care more about them balancing the broken combat system above all else.

the Alpha was unplayable by day three because of all the abusive players. There are at least two dozen class and combat system based features they need to change in order for the beta to be any different.

What? How is the combat system broken?
The only thing that made the game unplayable in my experience was the fact that people kept getting booted back to the main menu in 4v4s.

Voidrek
09-30-2016, 04:22 PM
why dosent it make sense for a big fat female character? we allready have female raiders.

Yeah, I feel like female Shugoki and Lawbringers would be pretty awesome, actually. I have faith that the art team could come up with designs that looked good for both.

And I am not sure what is so wrong with the gameplay. I feel like once I got the Kensei down, I was pretty much dominating most players with the crazy mixups that the Kensei have.

The only thing I think Ubi might need to look at from a combat perspective is that playing defensively seems to give you a huge advantage. If you are using a KB/M or rebind your controller keys to make dodge and guard break easier to press, it can be way too easy to counter every move launched by your opponent. Just sit there and counter all the opponents guard breaks and wait until they launch an attack so you can parry them and punish. I think there needs to be a stamina cost for being overly defensive. Not sure how they can fix that, though.

Anyway, that is kind of an off-topic point for this thread.

Avlaen
10-13-2016, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I feel like female Shugoki and Lawbringers would be pretty awesome, actually. I have faith that the art team could come up with designs that looked good for both.

yeah i was really looking forward to a female law bringer in full plate halberding the hell out of pansy samurai ;P

waraidako
10-13-2016, 03:30 PM
And I would have loved to play a female warlord. Be a badass shield maiden. But, you know... It is what it is.