PDA

View Full Version : Humans, Elves, Orcs

LonesomeStrider
08-17-2016, 07:00 PM
This might have been obvious for some, but after watching the newest Gamescom Trailer the parallels just clicked into place for me.
The three factions we have fit neatly into the known tropes about those three well-known fantasy races.

Knights: Protective, Oathbound, Loyal --> Humans
Samurai: Aloof, Disciplined, Scholars --> Elves
Vikings: Savage, Free Spirited, Bloodthirsty --> Orcs

I don't think it is a coincidence that those three groups fit so neatly into those archtypes. I'm just looking forward to see exactly how those three representations of human nature end up being translated into the game!

ZenBearV13
08-17-2016, 07:04 PM
I definitely see the parallels too. I like that they don't all fit perfectly into their categories though. The Shugoki looks most like an Orc, or rather an Ogre! The Peacekeeper looks like a Wood Elf, too.

MisterWillow
08-17-2016, 07:47 PM
The Shugoki looks most like an Orc, or rather an Ogre! The Peacekeeper looks like a Wood Elf, too.

And the Berserker reminds me most of a Dwarf.

*EDIT* In fact, the Vikings remind me more of Dwarves than Orcs overall. Axes? Check. A desire for gold? Check? Beards? Check. I feel like Gimli would look at them and call them cousins... very tall cousins. :p

MathiasCB
08-17-2016, 10:24 PM
And the Berserker reminds me most of a Dwarf.

*EDIT* In fact, the Vikings remind me more of Dwarves than Orcs overall. Axes? Check. A desire for gold? Check? Beards? Check. I feel like Gimli would look at them and call them cousins... very tall cousins. :p

Very tall and handsome cousins...

Sirbriznuk
08-18-2016, 10:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csXuTVo4ubQ xD

iHunny
08-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Could be that the elves and orcs were tailored to human cultures rather then the other way around.

LonesomeStrider
08-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Could be that the elves and orcs were tailored to human cultures rather then the other way around.

You are most definetly right. The fantasy races were modeled after stereotypical aspects of humanity. The parallel was just too striking not to mention it after the last Trailer.
Vikings are still savage, brutal Orcs, not large Dwarves. :p