PDA

View Full Version : I don't even know what's going on with the Animus anymore

SixKeys
08-12-2016, 04:04 AM
AccessTheAnimus recently posted some new covers for the AC: Locus comics, including this one. The concept for the image is undeniably cool:

https://s9.postimg.org/c9wajc3lr/13882107_846491268785117_1684075897239136505_n.jpg

But WTF? Since when are we back to the Animus being an evil strap-on chair that requires tubes going into your arms? Even Rebecca's 2.0 machine didn't need those. Her
design was actually quite comfy.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/5/56/Retrieval_19.png/revision/latest?cb=20111103172336

And by the events of Black Flag, I thought we had moved on to an inconspicuous VR headset:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/d/d6/AC4_Animus_Omega_in_use.png/revision/latest?cb=20140614144405

Then in Unity and Syndicate they did away with the Animus completely, replaced by a system called the Helix. Now apparently all we need to tap into ancestral memories is a video game console.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/0/0f/Helix_screen.png/revision/latest?cb=20150101193617

Let's not forget the weird mechanical arm Animus in the upcoming movie:

http://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/242245/asscreedmovieanimus.jpg

Although that is an issue unto itself since they obviously took some creative liberties and have admitted so. But isn't most of the AC universe supposed to be consistent?

I'll admit I don't follow the comics, so I'm not sure if they take place within Abstergo or the assassins' hideout. Are the assassins using different technology than Abstergo? Is theirs more or less outdated than the Helix? Are you telling me that Abstergo can make your average Joe dive into ancestral memories simply by turning on the equivalent of an XBox while the assassins still cling to a steampunk-like Matrix chair from 2009? Or, if the comics take place within Abstergo, have the Templars for some reason ditched the consumer-friendly design and gone back to a more complex one?

What the hell is even going on with the Animus anymore?

I-Like-Pie45
08-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Well it seems that Ubi is rushing to set up an expanded universe but not really coordinating the efforts to have some coherence. It makes you wonder if they even have a timeline or some sort of writer's bible reference book when doing these projects.

this is my take however

https://s9.postimg.org/c9wajc3lr/13882107_846491268785117_1684075897239136505_n.jpg
Well if you pay attention to the shape of the Animus you'll see that it resembles the Cross of Jesus, implying that the protagonist strapped into the animus here is actually a religious analogue as it mirrors the Crucifixion. This is a common narrative device, seen in the hit movies Superman Returns and Batman versus Superman where Superman is floating around with his arms outstretched in a 180 degree pose, or the movie Shaolin where the protagonist completes his redemption arc by dying and falling into a giant buddha statue's lap in slow motion. However, the upside-down depiction of the Cross harkens to Satanic parody, implying that our protagonist and possibly the Assassins as a whole may not be as wholesome as thought.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/5/56/Retrieval_19.png/revision/latest?cb=20111103172336
Next, Desmond was originally set up as the series' chosen one, the one who would solve all the problems Assassins faced in modern day. But seen this, the design of the Animus actually connects to the fate of Desmond in AC3 and modern day as a whole in which it all ultimately amounted to nothing but a subsequent snails pace crawl. It is a design that prides itself on convenience, comfort - the seeds that laziness grows from. This was actually foreshadowing - Desmond could never be the chosen one - because as his choice of increasingly comfy Animuses shows he was into taking the easy way out and without hard work one cannot accomplish anything of merit.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/d/d6/AC4_Animus_Omega_in_use.png/revision/latest?cb=20140614144405
After Desmond, we took upon the role of an anonymous and faceless researcher using the Animus under the pretense of gathering material for a video game. We learn nothing of the researcher, not even a voice. All of modern day in Black Flag begins with and goes back to the Animus. Through this, the Researcher becomes not a three-dimensional being but simply an extension of the production line in the Templar's quest for knowledge. As such, the Animus in Black Flag is used to comment on the game design industry - in particular, the faceless ones whose names you glaze over as you try to find the skip credits button. The ones who toil their hours and lives away, to bring you fun for $60.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/0/0f/Helix_screen.png/revision/latest?cb=20150101193617
And what of the Helix? In which the modern day tried to set you up, you in your living room in front of your PC or Xboxstation Us, as the new heroes of modern day. These two games, Syndicate and Unity, are regarded as disappointments by many, especially in the modern day department. Could this be a commentary from the developers on the consequences of a life addicted to gaming, of how those killstreaks and weapon skins and achievements matter not outside the virtual realm?

http://images.techtimes.com/data/images/full/242245/asscreedmovieanimus.jpg
And finally, the movie Animus. It bears quite the keen resemblence to Glados, the antagonist of the hit 2007 video game Portal by Valve. Valve, through how they immersed the players in their games influenced the industry and their games are often stated as evidence that games too can be art. But often people take all the wrong lessons from the forerunners. This clearly stands as commentary of how the games industry has evolved since the Half-Lifes, making the Assassin's Creed movie a meta-product in of itself as it subtly explores how the video game industry in attempts of "artfulness" or "immersion" has tried to crib from other mediums such as film often at the expense of player control. Assassin's Creed itself is guilty of following this trend, exemplified by the installment Assassin's Creed 3, and the movie seemingly standing for the 2016 game installment stands to show how the lines between video games and movies have blurred and also how artistic endeavors and risks have faded away in favor of finding the next profitable cash cow IP.

pacmanate
08-12-2016, 09:14 AM
That was probably the biggest ****post reply I've ever read on the forums.

@SixKeys, I wonder the same, but the whole Universe is inconsistent so I've give up caring.

cawatrooper9
08-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I think at the end of the day it probably just boils down to careless inconsistency.

However, I don't think it's necessarily an immersion breaking thing. The old animus from the original game (and apparently that comic cover) is simply an older piece of technology. Rebecca expanded on it with further modifications. It's not at all weird that these things would exist simultaneously. I work at a university where we try to keep our technology as up to date as possible, and about a fourth of our machines are this year's model- but that doesn't mean that there are a few clunkers from the mid 2000s still chugging along in a few places. I'd also note that those cordless models were developed by Rebecca. Perhaps Abstergo is still using inferior technology?

Now, those are really the only memory extraction Animuses (Lucy never really answered if it was Animi...) that we know of. The Black Flag VR headset is basically an editing tool for memories already extracted- presumably with one of the Animuses from the first paragraph. Those memories are then accessible to the general public by the Helix, basically a home console.

So, to think of it in terms like video game production- the Animus is basically the process of getting the concept of a game- the creative team, storyboard meetings, that sort of thing. The VR headset is the actual technical process of creating the game. And the Helix is the PS4/XBone or whatever you play it on.

And the arm from the film is there because it's a video game movie, and terrible decisions had to be made, out of tradition. That's my guess, anyway.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Rebecca's Animus actually did require tubes sticking in your arms though, didn't it? Because Desmond whined about it and Shaun called him a tiny child :p

But IDK what's going on in the comic, so maybe this is just an Abstergo prototype that wasn't really designed for comfort? If the protag is another Abstergo hostage, then they wouldn't necessarily bother using the most ergonomic, user-friendly model they had in stock on them.

cawatrooper9
08-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Rebecca's Animus actually did require tubes sticking in your arms though, didn't it? Because Desmond whined about it and Shaun called him a tiny child :p

But IDK what's going on in the comic, so maybe this is just an Abstergo prototype that wasn't really designed for comfort? If the protag is another Abstergo hostage, then they wouldn't necessarily bother using the most ergonomic, user-friendly model they had in stock on them.

Yeah, at least it did in ACII. There were different versions in ACB and ACIII, right?

Sorrosyss
08-12-2016, 07:20 PM
It's a good point to be fair. I suppose you can argue that for the movie the most advanced Animus would be near Rikkin, therefore any older versions would still be knocking around. Certainly in the Assassins comic at the moment, Charlotte and Galina are using an older model that has numerous wires - purely as Kody has rigged it and modified to their needs. As they technically have to connect to Abstergo servers each time, I can imagine they need to do a fair bit of masking to hide themselves which probably necessitates a fair bit of tweaking. That'd be my best guess as to what is happening there in that image too. Assassins won't have access to the latest versions though for sure, only what they likely were able to raid or intercept from previous escapades.

SixKeys
08-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I think at the end of the day it probably just boils down to careless inconsistency.

However, I don't think it's necessarily an immersion breaking thing. The old animus from the original game (and apparently that comic cover) is simply an older piece of technology. Rebecca expanded on it with further modifications. It's not at all weird that these things would exist simultaneously. I work at a university where we try to keep our technology as up to date as possible, and about a fourth of our machines are this year's model- but that doesn't mean that there are a few clunkers from the mid 2000s still chugging along in a few places. I'd also note that those cordless models were developed by Rebecca. Perhaps Abstergo is still using inferior technology?

Now, those are really the only memory extraction Animuses (Lucy never really answered if it was Animi...) that we know of. The Black Flag VR headset is basically an editing tool for memories already extracted- presumably with one of the Animuses from the first paragraph. Those memories are then accessible to the general public by the Helix, basically a home console.

So, to think of it in terms like video game production- the Animus is basically the process of getting the concept of a game- the creative team, storyboard meetings, that sort of thing. The VR headset is the actual technical process of creating the game. And the Helix is the PS4/XBone or whatever you play it on.

And the arm from the film is there because it's a video game movie, and terrible decisions had to be made, out of tradition. That's my guess, anyway.

This makes sense to a degree - about older models still being around - but my thing is that the Templars and assassins are locked in a neverending arms race. Whoever has the best memory extraction technology has the bigger advantage. They can more accurately pinpoint PoE locations, extract suppressed memories and stuff like that. For Abstergo who have a ton of cash and have dedicated their entire existence to this purpose there's no reason they wouldn't always be using the most cutting edge technology available. The assassins are the underdogs who have to make do with whatever scraps they can pilfer from Templars and modify with their own ingenuity. Rebecca was so proud of "Baby" which was an impressive upgrade from Abstergo's model at the time, but by AC4 Templars had already moved on to much more effective designs. So I'm confused by this constant back-and-forth between older and newer technology from both sides. If the assassins are using outdated technology, then it makes sense their memory extraction should be less advanced than Templars'.

Hence, every story where the protagonist is using an assassin-owned Animus, their ability to extract and synchronize with memories should be technologically limited and distinctly different from the Templars' design. This was the explanation given for Black Flag having a distinctly different UI to AC3's: in AC3, we're using Rebecca's design, in AC4 we're back at Abstergo. In Unity and Syndicate, the assassins appear to have given up completely and instead of having their own Animus they're now relying on simply hacking into the Templars' Helix system.

So where do the comics and movie fit in? Is the person on the cover an assassin or Templar recruit? Whichever they are, it either means the assassins have STOPPED hacking into the Helix (that was quick) and are using outdated technology (a combination of Vidic and Rebecca's machines), or it means the Templars have ditched their innocuous, mass-produced, consumer-friendly, super-advanced headsets and home consoles and gone back to technology that requires a user to be forcibly strapped into a creepy machine. Neither makes sense.

As for the movie, I can't even imagine where it fits in. Although I am more forgiving towards it due to it being an adaptation, Ubi still claims it's supposed to be consistent with the rest of the universe. You can't just throw a phrase like that out there and then not justify it. Is the Armimus the latest Templar model? If so, then shouldn't the comics be using it also, since they are taking place in the here and now? Or is the movie a prequel to AC1? If so, then AC1's stationary machine feels like a downgrade.

None of this makes sense and it's pissing me off.

Ureh
08-13-2016, 01:59 AM
Well if you pay attention to the shape of the Animus you'll see that it resembles the Cross of Jesus, implying that the protagonist strapped into the animus here is actually a religious analogue as it mirrors the Crucifixion.

That's kinda how I saw it too. Except I think the "cross" is a form of punishment or torture (ie the person is not there willfully). Also notice the wires on the back of the animus, which seem to resemble puppet strings. I doubt they're saying that Evie (or the animus user) are evil.

And of course it's mirroring the leap of faith pose.

pacmanate
08-13-2016, 03:19 PM
None of this makes sense and it's pissing me off.

You're gonna become like me soon, I realised this a while back and for the past few months I've been ****ting all over AC because its done it to itself and I can't even follow their ideas. There are just too many things wrong with this franchise and one of them is transmedia lore ****ing up the game lore.

Helforsite
08-14-2016, 02:23 PM
The animi used in AC1-3 are the same as seen on the cover with minor changes. The tubes sticking in both arms are probably for sedation or such. The machines we used in AC4/Ro was too edit and review previously extracted data. The helix systems used in ACU/S are entertainment system who showed already extracted, edited and reviewed memories. The movie animus is firstly used to visually explain/show the bleeding effect and probably in universe to further strengthen the bleeding effect and to support the building of muscle memory. I thinks its only confusing if you havent played the games and are too lazy to wiki it. Seems to me as if people are just trying to find things to hate on out of sheer boredom.

joshoolhorst
08-14-2016, 03:08 PM
You're gonna become like me soon, I realised this a while back and for the past few months I've been ****ting all over AC because its done it to itself and I can't even follow their ideas. There are just too many things wrong with this franchise and one of them is transmedia lore ****ing up the game lore.

So basically me in 2013-present

joshoolhorst
08-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Desmond: Is it Animus-es? Or Animi? Helix? What do you think, Lucy? Lucy? why do they need all-

Lucy: Desmond. Shut. The. ****. Up... Please

cawatrooper9
08-15-2016, 04:21 PM
This makes sense to a degree - about older models still being around - but my thing is that the Templars and assassins are locked in a neverending arms race. Whoever has the best memory extraction technology has the bigger advantage. They can more accurately pinpoint PoE locations, extract suppressed memories and stuff like that. For Abstergo who have a ton of cash and have dedicated their entire existence to this purpose there's no reason they wouldn't always be using the most cutting edge technology available. The assassins are the underdogs who have to make do with whatever scraps they can pilfer from Templars and modify with their own ingenuity. Rebecca was so proud of "Baby" which was an impressive upgrade from Abstergo's model at the time, but by AC4 Templars had already moved on to much more effective designs. So I'm confused by this constant back-and-forth between older and newer technology from both sides. If the assassins are using outdated technology, then it makes sense their memory extraction should be less advanced than Templars'.

Hence, every story where the protagonist is using an assassin-owned Animus, their ability to extract and synchronize with memories should be technologically limited and distinctly different from the Templars' design. This was the explanation given for Black Flag having a distinctly different UI to AC3's: in AC3, we're using Rebecca's design, in AC4 we're back at Abstergo. In Unity and Syndicate, the assassins appear to have given up completely and instead of having their own Animus they're now relying on simply hacking into the Templars' Helix system.

Well, one thing we have to remember is that the Animus is often used as a sort of meta commentary on the progression of software technology in Assassins Creed games.

In the first game, we had the Animus 1.0.
ACII game us 2.0, ACB was 2.001, ACR was 2.003 (maybe there was a 2.002 somewhere, I don't remember.
ACIII was 3.0.

So clearly each "era" in the games had it's new version, with the Ezio trilogy getting "updates" during each expansion.

Then there was the Black Flag VR thing, which I can't really account for with this theory- maybe someone else can?

Interestingly enough, Unity was the first game to be exclusively on a new generation of consoles, and in the game we accessed the memories via an advanced home console.

For a less meta and more in-universe explanation for this, consider that Desmond's group is kind of the "dream team" of the Assassins Creed universe- they're basically the Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, and droids of the series. You're got Shaun who's arguably the least important of the bunch, and he's still a genius. Lucy was a deep agent in Abstergo (and more, depending on how much you want to butcher her storyline). Rebecca was a technological prodigy, MacGyvering technological advancements that by her own accord surpassed what Abstergo was capable of. William Miles later joined, the freaking head of the modern brotherhood. Then, of course, there is Desmond "Christ-Allegory" Miles, the chosen one who follows pretty closely to the typical metamyth.

So, of course they'd have the best technology, just like of course Han had one of the fastest ships in the galaxy. Still, there are a lot of Assassins still out there, so it would make sense that some of them would have to scrap more for their own technology.

SixKeys
08-15-2016, 08:24 PM
The animi used in AC1-3 are the same as seen on the cover with minor changes. The tubes sticking in both arms are probably for sedation or such. The machines we used in AC4/Ro was too edit and review previously extracted data. The helix systems used in ACU/S are entertainment system who showed already extracted, edited and reviewed memories. The movie animus is firstly used to visually explain/show the bleeding effect and probably in universe to further strengthen the bleeding effect and to support the building of muscle memory. I thinks its only confusing if you havent played the games and are too lazy to wiki it. Seems to me as if people are just trying to find things to hate on out of sheer boredom.

Yes, I am too lazy to wiki it. You know why? Because I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to rely on external, unofficial fan sites to explain stuff that should be clear just from playing the games.

If the Helix system in ACU and ACS only shows already edited and reviewed memories, then why the **** is Bishop showing up on our TV and telling us to uncover stuff in Arno/Jacob/Evie's memories in the first place? If we're already viewing pre-approved Abstergo material, then there shouldn't be anything new for the assassins to discover. The "edited and reviewed" argument only makes sense in AC Liberation where Erudito occasionally hacks into our system to show us the unedited version. But ACU and ACS don't have that.

I'm not hating, I'm confused and frustrated. I thought taking a year off would be good for the franchise because they could use the time to sort out their messy lore, but the comics and YA novels and side games are still mucking it up. There seems to be no oversight, no consistency. We don't know what the most current version of the Animus is - is it the one in the comics, the one in Syndicate or the one in the movie? This matters because like I said, older technology means less efficient memory extracting. Arno in ACU is unable to carry bodies. Edward in AC4 is able to do this. If the Helix is supposedly more advanced than the Animus, why are we able to perform basic actions like carrying bodies in older games but not ACU? What is the in-universe explanation for this? Arno never learned how to carry bodies? Just like he never learned to whistle, I guess?

cawatrooper9
08-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Yes, I am too lazy to wiki it. You know why? Because I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to rely on external, unofficial fan sites to explain stuff that should be clear just from playing the games.
When it comes to vital plot points (like the explanation of Lucy and Clay in The Lost Archives) I totally agree with you. For aesthetic stuff like this, I just kind of feel like constant exposition on every possible change would be tedious.

If the Helix system in ACU and ACS only shows already edited and reviewed memories, then why the **** is Bishop showing up on our TV and telling us to uncover stuff in Arno/Jacob/Evie's memories in the first place? If we're already viewing pre-approved Abstergo material, then there shouldn't be anything new for the assassins to discover. The "edited and reviewed" argument only makes sense in AC Liberation where Erudito occasionally hacks into our system to show us the unedited version. But ACU and ACS don't have that.

That's kind of the point of the Jaques de Molay section at the beginning of Unity. The player is using an Abstergo product, but once Bishop and the gang come in they get kind of dragged off the grid. The Templars are using Arno's memories, too- but they're newer, and definitely not open to the general public.

MikeFNY
08-16-2016, 11:09 AM
I think the problem is that you're assuming that the story once told will get a proper ending or a better explanation.

You say you're confused.

Imagine how confused new players will be next year, those who didn't play the first, most important games of the series because they are not available on newer consoles.

I'm expecting a complete revamp next year, a game where even new players need to know little or nothing at all about what happened so far and the little they need to know will probably be explained in a short intro-cinematic.

AC is no longer "just a game", it's now a brand, just look at all the silly things coming out with the AC logo. And when a game becomes a brand, there's no way the story will keep its consistency.

I just finished AC3 with Juno saying, "Thank you Desmond, now it's my turn to take over" or something like that yet I don't remember anything about her in Black Flag, but I could be wrong, I still need to replay BF properly.The fact is that the story is a mess, I wouldn't be surprised if even the writers have no idea how to turn this around.

cawatrooper9
08-16-2016, 02:07 PM
I just finished AC3 with Juno saying, "Thank you Desmond, now it's my turn to take over" or something like that yet I don't remember anything about her in Black Flag, but I could be wrong, I still need to replay BF properly.The fact is that the story is a mess, I wouldn't be surprised if even the writers have no idea how to turn this around.

She's in it. She's briefly in Syndicate, too. Not very present in either, but she does make appearances. Like Ubisoft, she appears to be biding her time.

SixKeys
08-16-2016, 02:14 PM
When it comes to vital plot points (like the explanation of Lucy and Clay in The Lost Archives) I totally agree with you. For aesthetic stuff like this, I just kind of feel like constant exposition on every possible change would be tedious.

What I don't get is why the constant changes? If, as MikeFNY points out, the purpose is to create a strong brand, why do they keep changing something as central as the Animus all the time? Would it really have been so bad to keep it as Rebecca's comfy chair design forever? That would have worked both for the assassins whose main concern is the user's safety, and Abstergo's who are in the business of selling luxury and comfort. Why did they get rid of it at all in favor of VR helmets in AC4, only to ditch it for the Helix in ACU and then bring back the old design for the comics? Would it have killed Ubi to just keep it as "the Animus" instead of throwing in "the Helix" to confuse things further? Using the same design all over the connected universe would help keep things consistent and is easy to explain from entry to entry. The Animus itself has the potential to become a recognizable object a la Stargate or the TARDIS. A machine that even people who aren't intimately familiar with the franchise will point at and recognize. Why the insistence on overcomplicating things by constantly redesigning it?

I think the problem is that you're assuming that the story once told will get a proper ending or a better explanation.

You say you're confused.

Imagine how confused new players will be next year, those who didn't play the first, most important games of the series because they are not available on newer consoles.

I'm expecting a complete revamp next year, a game where even new players need to know little or nothing at all about what happened so far and the little they need to know will probably be explained in a short intro-cinematic.

AC is no longer "just a game", it's now a brand, just look at all the silly things coming out with the AC logo. And when a game becomes a brand, there's no way the story will keep its consistency.

Exactly my point. If the purpose of a sabbatical year is to take a step back and re-examine the franchise, to trim the fat and streamline the sprawling lore, then they're not doing a very good job of it so far. The streamlining needs to extend to ALL forms of transmedia, not just the games. Create a consistent base and stick to the same rules in every branch of transmedia and you will have a solid brand.

Regarding Black Flag:
Juno does show up as a digital apparition when her "beloved" (John Standish) lures you into Abstergo's server rooms. She says something about how human bodies are not suitable vessels to host her spirit (yet?) and disappears, leaving John to curse up a storm. So she does make an appearance but only to basically say "lol idk, i'll get back to you".

MikeFNY
08-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Create a consistent base and stick to the same rules in every branch of transmedia and you will have a solid brand.

Hmmm ...

You know, I believe it's the so-called snowball effect.

If I'm not wrong the AC universe started with the game and it then evolved to comics, books, novels and now a movie.

Now when you engage in so many activities with a single brand, one question that comes natural is: How can we achieve consistency throughout all transmedia?

The answer is you don't.

I'm on your same boat when you say, "I'm a gamer, I don't care about the comics or books, if something is to be told, do it in the game."

And in a way that's the way it should be because - sorry Helforsite but - not everyone is ready to play the game, read the comics, read the novels, read the wiki and watch the movie to understand what is going on.

The problem is that this gives complete and utter freedom to whoever is responsible for all the other transmedia that is not the game as they don't have to be true to the game, reason why the Animus is red in the game, blue in the comic, green in the movie and will probably be a toy space shuttle inspired by the movie this Christmas.

Now I may be ok with this, what I don't want is what they did in Syndicate by introducing Galina Voronina, a character which unless I'm wrong made her first appearance in a comic, then ported to the game.

If there has to be such a big difference between the gap and the rest, then keep them separate. The moment you throw them in the same equation I will be confused.

And believe me, I can get easily confused, why do they have to be called Isu, First Civilization, Those Who Came Before and also Precursors for example? :confused: ;)

SixKeys
08-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Hmmm ...

You know, I believe it's the so-called snowball effect.

If I'm not wrong the AC universe started with the game and it then evolved to comics, books, novels and now a movie.

Now when you engage in so many activities with a single brand, one question that comes natural is: How can we achieve consistency throughout all transmedia?

The answer is you don't.

I'm on your same boat when you say, "I'm a gamer, I don't care about the comics or books, if something is to be told, do it in the game."

And in a way that's the way it should be because - sorry Helforsite but - not everyone is ready to play the game, read the comics, read the novels, read the wiki and watch the movie to understand what is going on.

The problem is that this gives complete and utter freedom to whoever is responsible for all the other transmedia that is not the game as they don't have to be true to the game, reason why the Animus is red in the game, blue in the comic, green in the movie and will probably be a toy space shuttle inspired by the movie this Christmas.

Hmm, I suppose that's true. You can't control every aspect of the franchise or you'll end up stifling people's creativity. Still, I feel the Animus is such a central part of the franchise that it's confusing to depict it in so many wildly different incarnations. People who only watch the movie are going to come away with the understanding that the Animus is a giant robotic arm and will be confused when they pick up Unity where instead of the Animus they're using something called the Helix instead which looks nothing like a robotic arm.

Now I may be ok with this, what I don't want is what they did in Syndicate by introducing Galina Voronina, a character which unless I'm wrong made her first appearance in a comic, then ported to the game.

Technically Galina was first introduced on the old Initiates site, as part of their ongoing coverage for modern day. Only people who regularly kept up with the site were familiar with her, though, so the problem is the same.

Another example would be Daniel Cross. He started out in the comics (The Fall) and was a pretty popular character, so they brought him into AC3. The character in the comics had a fairly well-developed personality and was an interesting and capable protagonist in his own right. The version they put in the game was a cowardly wimp who couldn't hold his own in a melee fight against Desmond and ran away from fights. He was a disappointment to fans who were already familiar with him and confusing to newbies who were suddenly introduced to this random character who was made out to be Desmond's arch nemesis.

And believe me, I can get easily confused, why do they have to be called Isu, First Civilization, Those Who Came Before and also Precursors for example? :confused: ;)

Hear, hear. :p

cawatrooper9
08-16-2016, 05:03 PM
What I don't get is why the constant changes? If, as MikeFNY points out, the purpose is to create a strong brand, why do they keep changing something as central as the Animus all the time? Would it really have been so bad to keep it as Rebecca's comfy chair design forever? That would have worked both for the assassins whose main concern is the user's safety, and Abstergo's who are in the business of selling luxury and comfort. Why did they get rid of it at all in favor of VR helmets in AC4, only to ditch it for the Helix in ACU and then bring back the old design for the comics? Would it have killed Ubi to just keep it as "the Animus" instead of throwing in "the Helix" to confuse things further? Using the same design all over the connected universe would help keep things consistent and is easy to explain from entry to entry. The Animus itself has the potential to become a recognizable object a la Stargate or the TARDIS. A machine that even people who aren't intimately familiar with the franchise will point at and recognize. Why the insistence on overcomplicating things by constantly redesigning it?

Well, like I said earlier in this thread, I think a lot of what has been done has been echoes of the real world tech at the time (like the new Helix console featured in Unity, the first game exclusively for new consoles). With Black Flag, I think they wanted an excuse to visit the Miles family tree one more time, and couldn't with the existing tech- then they reused those assets for Rogue, along with basically everything else from Black Flag.

I'm not saying I like it either, to be honest. I wouldn't mind a more iconic Animus, upgraded here and there, since tech does move along pretty quickly. I think, at least in my opinion, that the Animus is one of the most iconic aspects of the series- even though I think it's arguable that we honestly haven't really seen a standard one since Brotherhood in 2010.

Technically Desmond is in an Animus in ACR, but you only get a short glimpse of it at the end of the game, so that barely counts. Then, the one in ACIII was just kind of weird- all made of rocks. Almost seems like a precursor to the VR headset, as if Rebecca had just pulled out some tech and put it on Desmond while he say on a few stones (I'd take a comfy office chair any day).

And then, once again, I can't really defend the movie's Animus. I'm actually pretty worried that it'll be really campy and alienate both fans and the general audience.

Another example would be Daniel Cross. He started out in the comics (The Fall) and was a pretty popular character, so they brought him into AC3. The character in the comics had a fairly well-developed personality and was an interesting and capable protagonist in his own right. The version they put in the game was a cowardly wimp who couldn't hold his own in a melee fight against Desmond and ran away from fights. He was a disappointment to fans who were already familiar with him and confusing to newbies who were suddenly introduced to this random character who was made out to be Desmond's arch nemesis.
Yeah- I don't mind when games or films throw in some Easter Eggs for fan service, but Cross was way too big a part of the game, and he really didn't have any back story for those who haven't read the comics. It's a shame that after waiting so long for Desmond to finally become an Assassin, his talents were mostly wasted chasing from/down some guy who we haven't even heard of in the previous four games.