PDA

View Full Version : Blog post: The Disunity of Assassin's Creed: Unity

Farlander1991
08-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Hey, guys.

First off, I would like to apologise for not replying to any of the comments for the last post. I am on vacation now so it's very tricky to write anything. I promise I'll answer once I get back :)

That said, before going I did schedule a release of another blog post and wanted to notify you about it. Enjoy!

https://stanislavcostiuc.com/2016/08/10/the-disunity-of-assassins-creed-unity/

MikeFNY
08-11-2016, 09:49 AM
At this risk of becoming repetitive, Unity is by far the best game in the series for graphics and stealth, no other game comes even close to these two elements of Unity, especially the latter.

Again, I uploaded some videos for those want to understand what I mean.

But to get back on topic, this is the part I wanted to focus on: It’s just a simple mission about us stumbling upon and helping a simple person to find some peace amidst all the chaos that surrounds us. And that feels very human.

I have just completed AC3, in another thread I will write a sentence or two about it, but one of the most beautiful elements of that game is the homestead and how human it is.

As I was playing it I asked myself: Am I really interested in historical figures? Am I really interested in diving in the middle of the French Revolution or American Revolution? Or I am more interested in the human aspect of the game, meeting someone who needs my help, listening to his/her story and getting intrigued and connected to it even if he's not Leonardo da Vinci?

Most of the times, just like you, these are the moments I remember about the game, not the epic combats or the historical-related stories.

I know, we're assassins not the good samaritan but I see no reason why one should exclude the other.

cawatrooper9
08-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Nice article.

Yeah, there have been many discussions here on the weird experimental format that Unity had. Needless to say, I don't think we'll see it again in a game any time soon.

ninja4hire10
08-12-2016, 12:44 AM
Unity's tied for second along with BF as my faves in the series so far (AC2 takes the top spot, still.)

And while I loved Unity's new direction, in terms of visuals and combat/parkour mechanics, I did notice how disjointed the main storyline was from many of the Paris Stories/ co-op content. The LOF is one such issue, and yeah, you're right, it makes no sense.

As for the historical figures v. human side to the games, I like a mix of both; and perhaps a clever way to integrate this into the 2017 game-to-be is to have the main character complete missions for a stranger, only to discover later in the game this person is/was/will become someone of historical significance. That'd be cool.

From the historical perspective, Ben Franklin's bit on *ahem* older women -- I think the line was something about a "field often plowed," if I'm not mistaken -- in AC3 was hilarious, and Blackbeard's intro in BF, to me, is memorable. I like the historical characters, as I like history, which is one of my main attractions to this franchise since the first game.

Sorry, but slightly off-topic: from the helping-human perspective, there's one moment that stands out above all others, and it's not mission-related: in Syndicate, I was strolling around as Evie when a woman against a wall caught my ear. She had her little boy next to her, and both were clearly distressed. She said something about how he hadn't eaten in a few days, and she was pleading for help. The game wouldn't allow me to throw some coins their way, so I had to walk away. That really, really bothered me. Still does. Weird, huh?

Unity should've featured more chances to aid basic, every day people in a time when any form of a helping hand was sorely needed. Maybe the writing team for the new game will take a cue from some of the previous games and allow some of the more soft-hearted among us to help out, I dunno.

MikeFNY
08-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Sorry, but slightly off-topic: from the helping-human perspective, there's one moment that stands out above all others, and it's not mission-related: in Syndicate, I was strolling around as Evie when a woman against a wall caught my ear. She had her little boy next to her, and both were clearly distressed. She said something about how he hadn't eaten in a few days, and she was pleading for help. The game wouldn't allow me to throw some coins their way, so I had to walk away. That really, really bothered me. Still does. Weird, huh?
I know perfectly what you're talking about, the same happened to me, also when there was a little boy choosing between rotten and "good" apples from a trash bin.

Maybe I give way too much important to the "human" aspect of the games but this particular thing is why I consider Syndicate to be a rushed product, in almost every game we can throw coins, in Unity we can also use them to hide from enemies, the moment we play a game where throwing coins to help people would have made a lot of sense, we cannot do it.

ninja4hire10
08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
I know perfectly what you're talking about, the same happened to me, also when there was a little boy choosing between rotten and "good" apples from a trash bin.

Maybe I give way too much important to the "human" aspect of the games but this particular thing is why I consider Syndicate to be a rushed product, in almost every game we can throw coins, in Unity we can also use them to hide from enemies, the moment we play a game where throwing coins to help people would have made a lot of sense, we cannot do it.

Exactly. One of the games, and I don't remember which, you're rewarded with an achievement for tossing coins at some beggars. "Man of the People," or something along those lines. The ability to help out random NPCs should be a feature of all the AC games I'd think, what with the Assassins being "of the people" and all. Winning hearts and minds and whatnot.

Oddly enough: the women that, for lack of a better word plague the first titles, the "Help! I haven't gotten any money. Please!," the ones that always jump out into your path, they're annoying. I always shove them out of my way, and I had gotten to the point when I'd just slug 'em. Disgusting, yes; effective, double-yes.

cawatrooper9
08-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Crowds in general aren't what they could be. I'd say they aren't what they used to be, which is technically true, but that implies that they were absolutely better in the past, and I don't think that's 100% accurate.

In the past, I'd say up through the Ezio era, crowds were basically just rivers of people used for social stealth. With a few exceptions, they didn't really seem to have much agency of their own upon close inspection- however, they reacted really well to action in the game- running en masse, and sometimes even aiding the Assassins. Now, crowds seem more like a themepark facade. They paint, they play chess, they have all sorts of activities they partake in and at first it does help the world to seem more alive- but it's basically little more than watching the animatronic pirates run around in circles on the POTC ride at Disney World.

I'd like to see the best of both worlds. Give us NPCs with agency, but let them react realistically to what is happening on screen.

SixKeys
08-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Crowds in general aren't what they could be. I'd say they aren't what they used to be, which is technically true, but that implies that they were absolutely better in the past, and I don't think that's 100% accurate.

In the past, I'd say up through the Ezio era, crowds were basically just rivers of people used for social stealth. With a few exceptions, they didn't really seem to have much agency of their own upon close inspection- however, they reacted really well to action in the game- running en masse, and sometimes even aiding the Assassins. Now, crowds seem more like a themepark facade. They paint, they play chess, they have all sorts of activities they partake in and at first it does help the world to seem more alive- but it's basically little more than watching the animatronic pirates run around in circles on the POTC ride at Disney World.

I'd like to see the best of both worlds. Give us NPCs with agency, but let them react realistically to what is happening on screen.

Well said. I love love love the variety of NPC actions in Unity and Syndicate. In that sense I think they're the best they've ever been. The point of AC from the beginning though wasn't only to make the world look pretty but to make crowds interactive. I love sitting down and watching two NPCs play chess, but I would like to see them be more than background decoration by reacting to commotion. If, for example, a horse-drawn cab falls over in the distance and people start shouting, the chess players should stop playing and start craning their heads or get up and move closer to the scene. Right now the default actions for all NPCs seem to boil down to running away or just standing around. But people have all sorts of reactions when something out of the ordinary happens. Introduce more unpredictability into scenes where you have a lot of civilians gathered together. Some people might just stand and watch, some will run away, some will use the opportunity to pickpocket others, and then there might be vigilantes who think the assassin is right to defy the law and will randomly join in to beat up the guards. From these encounters new side quests could spring up. The vigilantes that helped you escape were taken in by the police, so you get a new quest to free them from prison. Some of the people you freed might then join you as assassin recruits, or they might just thank you and return to their homes. That would be a natural way to interact with the world.