PDA

View Full Version : Why do the knights have American accents?

MichaeLionheart
08-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Pretty much what the title says lol.

ksatnodesaelp
08-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Because, anglo canadians not withstanding, the Devs for this game are french so they have an in born hatred of the english, but are smart enough to realize that stupid people wouldn't take the game seriously if they had french accents despite the french having some very good examples of knights, so much like the french during the revolutionary war supporting the colonies and warring with england, they throw their support with the american accent. Or maybe since it's a fantasy game with little focus on its world as a whole they didn't see the need to spend more money on properly british/english voice actors so they simply got some americans and canadians to voice the knights.

Master-Lasse
08-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Pretty much what the title says lol.

Hehe, I'm super excited about this game. However, due to your post, I wonder the same for the Japanese samurais and the Scandinavian vikings. Do they speak English with an accent or Japanese and Old Norse, respectively?

iHunny
08-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Hehe, I'm super excited about this game. However, due to your post, I wonder the same for the Japanese samurais and the Scandinavian vikings. Do they speak English with an accent or Japanese and Old Norse, respectively?

There is a gameplay campaing trailer where you hear Vikings and Samurais talk.

yote224
08-12-2016, 12:52 PM
I would imagine it's because the voice actors for them also have American accents.

PlagueGripes
08-13-2016, 01:21 AM
Well, there's no America or England or South Africa, etc in their world. So there's not much reason for them to have a distinct accent. American is about as "no accent" as you can get with English.

Willaguy2010
08-13-2016, 07:58 PM
In the For Honor world we don't know if there even is a America. As for the other factions, the samurai spoke in Japanese but transitioned to English with an accent in the middle of the dialogue, and the Vikings in the campaign mission spoke English with an accent.

In my opinion I think For Honor will take the Vikings TV show route. That is, from your perspective your faction will speak English but everyone else will speak in their true native tongue. So if I was a Viking I would be speaking English, but to other people it would sound like whatever language they spoke back then.

Master-Lasse
08-15-2016, 11:52 AM
In the For Honor world we don't know if there even is a America. As for the other factions, the samurai spoke in Japanese but transitioned to English with an accent in the middle of the dialogue, and the Vikings in the campaign mission spoke English with an accent.

In my opinion I think For Honor will take the Vikings TV show route. That is, from your perspective your faction will speak English but everyone else will speak in their true native tongue. So if I was a Viking I would be speaking English, but to other people it would sound like whatever language they spoke back then.

Thanks for the reply, Willaguy2010. Yeah, that makes sense. Did anybody see the film with Antonio Banderas called "the 13th Warrior"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_13th_Warrior

I remember the "Vikings" speaking both Old Norse as well as Norwegian, but if I remember correctly, the language switched to English as soon as it was established that the main character had learned the local language :)