PDA

View Full Version : Option to automatically close Uplay client after playing a game

Vibranium.
08-06-2016, 02:45 AM
So I've asked this question before and was told it was discussed but didn't happen, but I'm going to humbly ask for another chance at this. Places like EA's Origin client have the option to automatically close after playing a game and I would love to see Ubisoft implement this feature. I don't think it's going to interfere with advertising or anything since people who want to buy games will do so on start-up and EA seems to be doing just fine. Thanks and I hope the Uplay team will consider doing this.

Ubi-OlafurW
08-19-2016, 06:41 PM
I get the idea but this can get tricky. Since some games quit and start again when performing certain actions. For example, AC: BF quits the single player executable and runs the multiplayer executable when going into the MP menu. Is that a game quit? Other games have mini background launchers that can start one to many processes which can quit and restart at any time. When has that game quit?

This is a positive feature and it has it's value but the effort required to grab all the current and plan for future edge cases might be too much for such a thing.

Thanks though and keep suggesting things, hopefully I won't shoot your next idea down.... sorry.....really.

Fireseed
08-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Understandable reason, but itīs nice to have a Uplay developer right here on the forums.
Hope to see you here more often :)

Ubi-OlafurW
08-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks man, I've been lurking here for the longest time :P Though i'd pop in and answer some things I'm knowledgeable about.

Anyways, back to bug fixing! :D

RAWKHIGH
07-04-2017, 02:40 AM
I came across this trying to find a setting to enable or something for Uplay to close when i'm not playing a game. I find your response reasonable but lackluster. Ok so some of your games close and reopen when switching between exes, fine even though that's annoying it's still a valid way of doing it. But you need to work on your problem solving skills. Here are 2 i came up with after being annoyed about your reasoning. 1 when i hit close and then yes i'm sure i want to close, a TAG should be added that tells Uplay to terminate as well. Or 2 an even easier one is when your game closes to reopen another exe have a TAG there telling Uplay not to terminate. That means Uplay would terminate at all other closings like Alt+4 or hitting the close or crashing but would not terminate when just loading a new exe. your current system is not nice for the user seeing how it's running in the background when we don't want it to. If i close R6 or The Crew to go play something else i don't want Uplay running in the background.

DSD27
07-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Origin removed this feature a while ago.

I can see Uplay closing and interrupting the cloud save synk progress as a possible problem. But seriously, why would someone need this feature? If you exit one game and you want to play another right away, it will only bother you. If you're not going to play again any time soon, just close it manually, it literally takes 1.5 seconds. Yet another question, why not keeping it open? Sometimes someone may want to talk or ask to play with you. Ram consumption isn't exactly a issue with Uplay.

oscar27031996
09-13-2017, 05:11 AM
It looks like this software that I have created could fit your needs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5EJPbojY3o&t=1s

Gargoili
03-26-2018, 01:28 AM
I get the idea but this can get tricky.

Yeah, it's a REALLY GOOD idea, and it's no wonder some of the competition has this enabled...
...But it suuuure can be tricky to implement, yeah.

With all those close-and-reopens when switching things and so on, yeah...
And launchers and everything.

If only there was a way to tell the launcher why/how the executable was terminated, like a signal to let it know if we're switching from Solo to Multiplayer.exe or if the user just pressed quit...
Like a code. That the program could emit on exit. We could call it "exit code"... ;)

Oh wait. That's a thing? :confused: 12 year old kids can use EXIT CODES in their HelloWorld.bat, but ubi devs aren't informed of this invention yet? :rolleyes:

Come on...