PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed OST (Your Top 10)?

RVSage
08-01-2016, 11:16 PM
One of the best parts of the AC series has always been it's OST. I have a huge affininty to music. And AC music has always had a wow factor.

It is indeed very difficult to pick a Top 10 from the compositions of Jesper Kyd, Brian Tyler and Lorne Balfe

But here it goes

1. AC4 Stealing a Brig composed by Brian Tyler

A marvelous piece, for my favorite mission in the game, stealing the Jackdaw and escaping in a hurricane, The first time I played that mission totally floored (Had my headset on) and Edward yells "Let's out run this hurricane".

2. AC2 - Florence Tarantella by Jesper Kyd

A folkish dance music, usage during many diverse missions, elevated the Italian feel.

3. AC3 - Fight Club by Lorne Balfe

One word "Haytham Kenway", great addition to the brawl missions involving Haytham and Connor.

4. AC2 - Ezio in Florence by Jesper Kyd

One of the best Ambient tracks in AC history, perfectly suited for exploring renaissance Italy

5. AC4 - The Buccaneers by Brian Tyler

The best stealth music , in AC, period, Perfectly captured the stealth mood and the danger of being spotted.

6. AC4 - Main Theme by Brian Tyler

To me the best main theme, of the series, Loved the title screen variant as well. Had nice transitions

7. AC4- Take What is ours by Brian Tyler

This one captured the terror / the plunder of ships being invaded by pirates, another Black flag beauty

8. AC2 - Home in Florence by Jesper Kyd

Yet another favorite from Jesper, another Ambient open world track the captured the italian feel beautifully

9. AC3- Homestead by Lorne Balfe

A score, that drew a great picture of Connor, the Frontier and it's people

10. AC2 - Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd

A fan favorite , But I honestly like the above 9 better.

Depending on my mood I would interchange a lot of positions in the top 10, But these were some great pieces of OST

Honorable Mention - Jack the Ripper theme by Bear Mccreary

Captures the terror of the Ripper magnificently

So what is your top 10???

I would love the AC series to continue it's legacy of great OSTs in game.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-01-2016, 11:31 PM
In no particular order :)

And this IS difficult. I literally loved all the songs in the soundtracks, but rules are rules, Only 10 xD

AC2 - Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd

Breathtaking, that is all.

AC2 - Earth by Jesper Kyd

Refer to previous comment :p

ACB - The Brotherhood Escapes

Another chase song I love

AC3 - Main Theme by Lorne Balfe

I think this is probably the best version of the main AC theme I love :)

AC3 - Fight Club by Lorne Balfe

This song is perfect for dem brawls!

AC3 - A Bitter Truth by Lorne Balfe

Painfully truthful background song during the white room conversations. Especially Thomas Hickey's.

AC3 - Eye of the Storm by Lorne Balfe

Really makes me feel at sea, fighting against the waves.

AC4BF - Ships of Legend by Brian Tyler

This song feels awesomely creepy, going into war with legendary ships and it gets me pumped when I hear this one.

AC4BF - The High Seas by Brian Tyler

Another song I love during ship battles.

ACS - Family by Austin Wintory

A lovely remix of Ezio's Family.

Honorable Mention - AC1 - Access the Animus by Jesper Kyd

I especially love when it plays while I'm being chased.

Jam_ezy
08-02-2016, 11:15 AM
I love these soundtracks. They speak to my heart. It's hard to pick only ten of them. But let's try...

10. AC1- City of Jeruzalem by Jesper Kyd
I love that track. It gives me a feeling of a city, where cultures, religions and nations are interacting with each other. The chorus is very Christian, while the overall sound is Muslim-like
9. AC Chronicles Russia Theme
Russian Revolution is among my favourite time periods. This tracks delivers an amazing experience- A sound of Loss, Despair, an ongoing war. I love this remix of Ezio Family
8. ACB Countdown by Jesper Kyd
Hurry up. There is no time to waste. The Piece of Eden must not fall into Borgia's hands. The name says it all. It's a race against time. An epic one
7. AC4 In This World or the One Below by Brian Tyler
Like saying goodbye to a friend. That's why I love Black Flag so much
6. AC2 Dreams of Venice by Jesper Kyd
Italy is one of the most interesting countries in the world. For me it sounds like a transformation. From Middle Ages, full of suffering and darkness to Renaissance.. As always, I love the chorus and the viewpoint theme
5. AC2 The Plague by Jesper Kyd
I love dark cities, full of fog and dirt. In AC2, there is Forli, city, where the sun hides behind the clouds. I wish London was as dark as Forli, I really do
4. AC3 Farewell by Lorne Balfe
A short, but an emotional one. One of my favourites
3. AC4 The British Empire by Brian Tyler
If I were a Brit, I would be proud of this track. Busy streets of Kingston, soldiers are talking, ships are sailing, pirates are getting drunk It shows the power of the colonial empires
2. ACS Underground by Austin Wintory
Piano isn't my favourite instrument, but that one is special. I want more songs like this in the future
1. ACB Echoes of The Roman Ruins by Jesper Kyd
If they ever make a game set in Ancient Rome (assuming this trilogy rumor is true) they need to remix this track. If they don't, I will be mad

Honorable Mention - AC Rogue Theme by Elista Alexandrova
I don't need to explain this one

And yes, no Ezio Family. Don't get me wrong, I love that track, but I love these a little bit more.

Farlander1991
08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
2. AC2 - Florence Tarantella by Jesper Kyd

A folkish dance music, usage during many diverse missions, elevated the Italian feel.

Actually, funny note, Florence Tarantella wasn't used in AC2 at all, despite being in the official soundtrack. And it was used just a couple times in ACB.

While we're at it, Earth from AC2 soundtrack exists in the game proper only as a single cue, you don't hear the other 95% of the track in the game. And a cue of Ezio's Family is used like two times in AC2 and a couple times in ACB. Literally you hear Venice's theme more in the game and during really important moments in Ezio's life (like the Bonfire of the Vanities speech, for example), than Ezio's Family theme and Earth.

It's just really curious how the theme became so popular despite being so barely used and not even featured fully in the game at all. Guess it's a testament to how cool it is just on its own :)

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 02:51 PM
I don't know all of the names of the songs, but I'll do my best-

1) The Parting Glass
This counts, right? I'm counting it.
I'm so glad that my wife (then girlfriend, I guess) was out of town the weekend Black Flag came out, because I was openly weeping during the end of this game. To avoid spoilers, let's just say that the moment that Edward glances toward the table full of his old friends- man, that really got me. Such a beautiful song.

2) Assassins Creed Revelations Theme
This haunting melody really just does it for me. I like Ezio's Family, but in my opinion this is the true theme of the series.

3) Stealing a Brig
I'm so glad RV had this in their list as well! Easily one of my favorite AC songs, and one that I searched a long time to find (as you can tell, this is one that I actually do know the title to). I think this song does musically what the entire game did thematically- tying together themes of open seas piracy with the brotherhood of Assassins.

4) ACIII Theme
You know, the one on the main menu. I have this on all my running playlists, actually. Really gets me pumped up.

5) Arno sparring with Bellec in prison theme
They really set the bar high early on in Unity.

6) AC Unity Theme
Really high indeed! Perhaps it's just because I associate it with the open sprawling shot of Parisian crowds, but I think this track really captures the civil unrest of the time.

7) Venice Rooftops
Great variation on Ezio's family. I prefer this version much to the original.

8) ACIV theme
Good track back from the days before every theme had to be a variation on Ezio's family

9) Whatever track plays during Jupiter's vision sequence
Haunting, beautiful, and epic

10) Rogue's theme
Another good Ezio's family variation. Did a good job of combining familiar elements of previous games and the Brotherhood with the more naval centered themes of Rogue.

I'm sure there are some that I missed, particularly at how many game themes are on here. I guess this is just what was on my mind at the time.

foodadd
08-02-2016, 02:57 PM

1) The Parting Glass
This counts, right? I'm counting it.
I'm so glad that my wife (then girlfriend, I guess) was out of town the weekend Black Flag came out, because I was openly weeping during the end of this game. To avoid spoilers, let's just say that the moment that Edward glances toward the table full of his old friends- man, that really got me. Such a beautiful song.

2) Assassins Creed Revelations Theme
This haunting melody really just does it for me. I like Ezio's Family, but in my opinion this is the true theme of the series.

3) Stealing a Brig
I'm so glad RV had this in their list as well! Easily one of my favorite AC songs, and one that I searched a long time to find (as you can tell, this is one that I actually do know the title to). I think this song does musically what the entire game did thematically- tying together themes of open seas piracy with the brotherhood of Assassins.

4) ACIII Theme
You know, the one on the main menu. I have this on all my running playlists, actually. Really gets me pumped up.

5) Arno sparring with Bellec in prison theme
They really set the bar high early on in Unity.

6) AC Unity Theme
Really high indeed! Perhaps it's just because I associate it with the open sprawling shot of Parisian crowds, but I think this track really captures the civil unrest of the time.

7) Venice Rooftops
Great variation on Ezio's family. I prefer this version much to the original.

8) ACIV theme
Good track back from the days before every theme had to be a variation on Ezio's family

10) Rogue's theme
Another good Ezio's family variation. Did a good job of combining familiar elements of previous games and the Brotherhood with the more naval centered themes of Rogue.

I'm sure there are some that I missed, particularly at how many game themes are on here. I guess this is just what was on my mind at the time.

thanks for sharing

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 03:05 PM
thanks for sharing

No problem, welcome to the forums!

RobertMcSassin
08-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Actually, funny note, Florence Tarantella wasn't used in AC2 at all, despite being in the official soundtrack. And it was used just a couple times in ACB.

It's just really curious how the theme became so popular despite being so barely used and not even featured fully in the game at all. Guess it's a testament to how cool it is just on its own :)

You absolutely sure about that?...

I'd honestly bet multiple pennies that I heard it on my recent playthrough...I may be wrong, and would lose at least five pence, I grant you, but I've really got the feeling I should be able to say which bit I heard it in too...Hmmmm...Trouble is, with the daughter blaring the Skyrim music in the same room, I'm sure you can imagine how difficult it is to picture something from AC at the same time... :rolleyes: ...

Anyways...

A countdown...

1 - City of Rome, Jesper Kyd...Brotherhood's wandering music of the highest order...

2 - Assassin's Creed III Main Theme, Lorne Balfe...The main theme of-...Nevermind...

3 - Access The Animus, Jesper Kyd...Properly fine tune from the all the ways back at the start...

4 - Unity, Chris Tilton...Go on...Have a guess...

5 - Homestead, Lorne Balfe...Lovely tune from Assassin's Creed III...Cutscene music of some awesomeness...

6 - Welcome to Kostantiniyye, Jesper Kyd...More gorgeous wandering musics, this time from Revelations...

7 - Dark Slayer, Sarah Schachner...Assassin's Creed Unity...I think this was featured in the Co-op section...But I wouldn't swear to it...It's on the soundtrack nevertheless (though obvs, this doesn't mean a lot... :D ...)...

8 - Liberation Main Theme, Winifred Phillips...A very underrated soundtrack - and likely one heard by far fewer than the others - that deserves a decent mention...

9 - The Revelation, Lorne Balfe...Go on, guessing time again!!...

10 - On The Horizon, Brian Tyler...Always sends shivers up me timbers, does this one from Black Flag...

Well, there you have it...My own personal faves...I listen to the soundtracks a lot when I'm doing the comp work...So they've had a decent going over down the years... :o ....

RobertMcSassin
08-02-2016, 03:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xR3esZSHw

This?...

It's called Labored and Lost...Because that's what he's going on about at the time...Watched that bit this morning...Properly brilliant stuff...Loved it...

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 03:20 PM

This?...

It's called Labored and Lost...Because that's what he's going on about at the time...Watched that bit this morning...Properly brilliant stuff...Loved it...

Bingo, that's the one.
Man, say what you want about ACR, but I think there's a reason there were such high expectations for MD in ACIII, and that ending is certainly part of it.

It absolutely was brilliant. :D

RobertMcSassin
08-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Bingo, that's the one.
Man, say what you want about ACR, but I think there's a reason there were such high expectations for MD in ACIII, and that ending is certainly part of it.

It absolutely was brilliant. :D

Awesome!...

Won't derail with an off-topic go-on...But I actually really like Revelations' story and writing...There is so much to like there...

And the soundtrack is properly fantastic too...Brilliant stuff...(Keeping it on-topic there...Booyah!!...)...

While I can see why it's not the most loved of the games, it really is a shame that the more frustrating elements are in there, because it has some truly awesome moments too...

And this time, as a game, it's actually produced my highest completion percentage of any AC ever - 98%...So am very pleased... :o ...

Anyways...Top 10s and all that...Sorry, just wanted to add that there... :) ...

RVSage
08-02-2016, 04:25 PM

While we're at it, Earth from AC2 soundtrack exists in the game proper only as a single cue, you don't hear the other 95% of the track in the game. And a cue of Ezio's Family is used like two times in AC2 and a couple times in ACB. Literally you hear Venice's theme more in the game and during really important moments in Ezio's life (like the Bonfire of the Vanities speech, for example), than Ezio's Family theme and Earth.

Actually yes, When I hear it I remember two missions both from ACB, Cristina memory and Ezio chasing a horse :)

This?...

I totally forgot that one , great piece of music as well

3) Stealing a Brig

That music is special, initial parts while taking out the ship crew is stealthy to the core and kinda menacing, When you start steering into the hurricane the elevation is too much to handle :)

RVSage
08-02-2016, 04:52 PM
On a second Note hear is AC IV main theme variant used in the game title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLR8e7bYHE

When I heard that one I knew that game is going to be pure fun :)

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 05:14 PM
On a second Note hear is AC IV main theme variant used in the game title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLR8e7bYHE

When I heard that one I knew that game is going to be pure fun :)

What's strange is that's probably one of my least favorite game logo screens so far. I love the music, but I just remember being kind of underwhelmed by it. There's some pretty strict competition, though. These openings are tied in pretty closely to the music, so I guess here's my picks for them as well:

AC1- I actually don't remember this one...

AC2- Ezio's Family. "May it never change", it's absolutely iconic.

ACB- Ezio having a bit of an Isildur moment and refusing to throw away the Apple as we get our first true glance at the sprawl of Rome- I like this almost as much as ACII, actually

ACR- Much more subdued, yet almost cinematic. I also really liked this one.

ACIII- Haytham finally gets to the new world- beautiful

ACL- Aveline synchronizes New Orleans- kind of underwhelming, since she lived there anyway

ACIV- Great music. I guess my beef is it's cut short really quickly

ACU- That sweep over Paris after a leap of faith is actually pretty great

ACRo- I actually really liked the logo with the monologue. In fact, I'd place the song that plays then in my top 10 come to think of it- along with the song that plays when Charles Lee captures Connor in the graveyard.

ACS- I forgot this one too?

Farlander1991
08-02-2016, 05:25 PM
AC1- I actually don't remember this one...

AC1 didn't have one in-game, just the logo from the E3 CGI intro before starting the game.

ACU- That sweep over Paris after a leap of faith is actually pretty great

I'm so disappointed that it's not our first leap of faith in the game. I believe while in Versailles Arno should've had only climb up/climb down ability and no leap of faith (which would also make the mission near Versailles palace a good climb down tutorial rather than a leap of faith tutorial), and this particular moment would unlock leap of faith for Arno. It really fits for it to be that way.

ACRo- I actually really liked the logo with the monologue.

But there's no monologue on Rogue title screen? The monologue is at the very beginning of the first mission, title screen is at the end of it, unless I misunderstand what you mean by monologue?

ACS- I forgot this one too?

It showed London as the twins boarded the train to it.

Billiam301
08-02-2016, 05:47 PM
1). Assassin's Creed 3 Main Theme (AC3)

2). The Buccaneers (AC4)

3). Beyond Ourselves (Unreleased AC3, plays during Juno cutscenes)

4). The Hunter (ACRo)

5). Pyrates Beware (AC4)

6). Under The Black Flag (AC4)

7). A Bitter Truth (AC3)

8). A Sneaking Sense of Liberty (ACU)

9). A Leap of Faith (ACU)

10). Flight Through Jerusalem (AC1)

no Ezio soundtrack in my list, which actually surprises me. Just shows how good the soundtracks for all these games really are

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm so disappointed that it's not our first leap of faith in the game. I believe while in Versailles Arno should've had only climb up/climb down ability and no leap of faith (which would also make the mission near Versailles palace a good climb down tutorial rather than a leap of faith tutorial), and this particular moment would unlock leap of faith for Arno. It really fits for it to be that way.

Yeah, that is kind of frustrating- particularly because of Arno's hesitation in jumping. I remember that AC rituals thread we had going a week ago or so- I should have added that I try to avoid parkouring rooftops as much as possible before getting the robes. Even so, though, you have to sync that viewpoint.

But there's no monologue on Rogue title screen? The monologue is at the very beginning of the first mission, title screen is at the end of it, unless I misunderstand what you mean by monologue?

Maybe I was mistaken. I thought I remembered it then. But I also kind of remember it after helping drive away the attacking schooners. Mandela effect (http://mandelaeffect.com/berenstein-or-berenstain-bears/) at work, it seems. :p

It showed London as the twins boarded the train to it.
Ah, okay. I guess I haven't played that game very much yet.

SixKeys
08-02-2016, 11:37 PM
I feel bad about not fitting "Earth" anywhere in here, but I already had two different variations on "Ezio's Family". :p Also wish I could have fit something from AC4's soundtrack because it's one of the best, but it's a top 10, not top 100.

In no particular order:

1. Venice Rooftops (AC2)

Probably my favorite variation of Ezio's Family. Captures the pure joy and freedom of parkour.

2. Access the Animus (AC1)

Fleeing the scene of the crime never felt so epic.

3. Ratonhnhaké:ton (AC3 ToKW)

Love the clear Native influences here. Melancholy theme that fits Connor's sad life.

4. Acre Underworld (AC1)

So many nuances in the instruments. It works brilliantly both as an investigation music and as ambience in ACB when you're exploring the Pope's derelict old palace.

5. Peace and I Are Strangers Grown (AC Syndicate)

This song hurts my heart. Sometimes I climb a viewpoint in Syndicate just to hear it.

6. Rogue Main Theme

Another great variation of Ezio's Family with enough originality to work as its own composition, too.

7. Ezio vs. Rodrigo/End Fight (AC2)

All the incentive you need to make it to the end boss without becoming fully notorious: to hear this piece of pure kickass.

8. Labored and Lost (ACR)

One of Balfe's best.

9. City of Rome (ACB)

When you liberate enough districts and this song starts playing everywhere in the game, it starts to lose its impact a bit. But taken on its own, when it comes on at random in your playlist? Pure heaven. The slow build-up of the strings is just....argh, I don't even have words.

10. Kingdom ambient music (AC1)

The ambient music in the Kingdom perfectly captures the atmosphere of the entire game. Slightly creepy, with whispers and low drums to create a constant sense of unease and dread, but also beautiful vocals that make you think of sand blowing lazily in the wind and towers stretching high into the sky.

Honorable mention:

Ezio Confronts Lucrezia (ACB)

The build-up here is fantastic. It makes you think of two tigers circling each other.

Megas_Doux
08-03-2016, 01:11 AM
7. Ezio vs. Rodrigo/End Fight (AC2)

All the incentive you need to make it to the end boss without becoming fully notorious: to hear this piece of pure kickass.

Too bad the 'action' itself is not only rather disappointing, but nonsensical. I mean, one the deadliest human beings in history at his peak vs an obese elder man......:rolleyes:

Now this is tough....

1) Access the animus.
2) Venice Escape
3) Approaching the Target series
4) Connor's Life
5) Assassin's Creed Theme (Revelations).
6) Labored and Lost
7) Connor's Life.
8) The British Empire
9) AC IV Main Theme
10) DeMolay's condemnation

Special mention to Acre Underworld, Dunes of Death, Ezio's Family, Dream of Venice, Desmond Miles, City of Rome, The Crossroads of the World, I'll be with you, The Islands of the Caribbean, Danton's Sacrifice, Northern Lights, London is Waiting and Peace and I Are Strangers Grown.

SixKeys
08-03-2016, 01:44 AM
Too bad the 'action' itself is not only rather disappointing, but nonsensical. I mean, one the deadliest human beings in history at his peak vs an obese elder man......:rolleyes:

Come on, it's funny though. Who doesn't want to punch the Pope? :D Wouldn't have been as amusing if it was an evenly matched fight. My only problem is that if you want to listen to the whole conversation, you have to keep blocking as it's really easy to end the fight in just one or two counter-punches.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-03-2016, 02:04 PM
4) Connor's Life
7) Connor's Life.

You listed this song twice. Honest mistake or was the song that good it had to be listed twice? :p :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
08-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Late to the party...

My favorites:
AC1 - Acre Street Music (the music plays when you enter it and plays during Altair-Maria flashback in AC2). It's medieval and 21st Century at the same time.

AC2 - "The Peace at Forli"

AC-Revelations
Istanbul Street Music.

Welcome to Constantinople.

AC3
- ''Fight Club''
- "Through the Forests of the Frontier"
- "Homestead Theme"

Black Flag
- ''Stealing a Brig''
- "Legendary Ship Battle Music"
- Black Flag Stealth Mujsic.
- All Sea Shanties and Tavern Songs.

RVSage
08-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Wow, some lists here reminded me of some of the awesome tunes I do not own on Play store. Access the Animus is the one I really missed on my list I guess

Megas_Doux
08-05-2016, 01:26 AM
You listed this song twice. Honest mistake or was the song that good it had to be listed twice? :p :rolleyes:

Both haha.

A great piece indeed, a worthy tribute to Connor's overall story.

crash_1232015
08-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Couldn't possibly choose 10 top AC soundtracks as there are so many great ones but in my opinion, Jesper Kyd was definitely the best composer involved in the series, bring him back I say! He captured the feel and the atmosphere of each city/location perfectly, great mix of emotions shown in his tracks, I would say the tracks for Venice and Rome were the best and then of course the main theme for AC2. AC3 had a great soundtrack as well but the soundtracks for AC4 onward in my opinion haven't been that good, boring if anything.

if the next game is in Egypt then i sincerely hope they nail the soundtracks as such a huge-scale setting for a game deserves a fantastic and memorable soundtrack to compliment it.