PDA

View Full Version : On the Topic of Smurfs

yote224
08-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Smurfing: When a (usually higher skilled) player starts a new account to provide a clean slate to acquire better statistics in things like Win Percentages, KDR, etc. (There's really too much to define briefly here)

Many games that this is a common practice in are free to play or relatively cheap. For Honor for most people during the initial sales will run them about $60. Do you think that this will deter smurfs? If so, for how long would you see the price staying that high? Are you of the opinion that smurfs are good or bad? Do you think we'll have a way to reset our MMR or statistics? Would this benefit or hurt the community? Possibly a timed "Season" where your MMR is only relevant for a set amount of time?

waraidako
08-01-2016, 10:21 AM
If they want to waste money buying a new account just to hide their actual KDR so they can brag about how big their e-pen0rs are, I say let them. It gives money to the devs, so they can make a better game in the future. And it won't really change anything. You can spot a tryhard a mile away, and KDR doesn't impress anyone anyway, so who cares?

MisterWillow
08-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Not sure if you're only taking PC players into consideration, but if people buy a physical copy on console, you can easily make a new account, pop the disc in, and have a new smurf, so the cost will have very little effect there. Not sure if this is true of Xbox, but on Playstation, if you have a game digitally on the main account on a system, any other sub-accounts made on that console can access and play it, so it will have even less of an effect.

yote224
08-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Actually I was under the assumption that one had to link their UPlay account to a console. But as I read through Uplau support pages I see that isn't the case. And then last I had played of Xbox you'd need a gold membership for any new account to utilize online features such as multiplayer.

Is that a grey hair I'm feeling?

Willaguy2010
08-01-2016, 03:49 PM
While every profile on the same Xbox can play the same games if it's your home xbox, every account needs Xbox Live Gold to play online against or with players. How does PS Plus handle this, is it the same as Xbox or can every profile use the same PS Plus account?

Hohggan
08-02-2016, 03:40 AM
While every profile on the same Xbox can play the same games if it's your home xbox, every account needs Xbox Live Gold to play online against or with players. How does PS Plus handle this, is it the same as Xbox or can every profile use the same PS Plus account?

Its the same concept. You would need a secondary PS plus account to have a smurf account.

yote224
10-18-2016, 01:44 AM
Wanted to bump this topic as to give it another shot since we have had some time to play the game since this started and times are slow.

MathiasCB
10-18-2016, 03:21 PM
I'd say it doesn't really matter. If they want to ''reset'' by paying the full price all over then go ahead. In the end they're still at the same level. What sucks though is how many people act when they ''destroy'' the competition and act cocky about it. Or if they lose they might tell the teammates they suck and that it's all their fault because he/she is ''actually much better''. However this pretty much only applies to teambased modes, dueling wont really change. It's like the alpha leaderboards, while it might be fun braging about being top 10, it's not really a big feat since most people you fought had not had the same experience. (from the perspective of someone playing more than one alpha)

So you could brag all you want about having almost no losses, but in the end, all you did was stomping people with less experience. I guess you could find that out by looking at actual time spent playing.

So I guess... Pay for a smurf, good for you, thanks for supporting the game. Act like a D, get reported.

Rahnzan
10-28-2016, 07:17 AM
>_> Wait so people are erasing their crappy starter-history to get KDRs that better represent their current skill levels and this is bad for what reason? You think people want to get stormed by a .40 and wonder why that happened?

waraidako
10-31-2016, 05:34 PM
>_> Wait so people are erasing their crappy starter-history to get KDRs that better represent their current skill levels and this is bad for what reason? You think people want to get stormed by a .40 and wonder why that happened?

You don't see people's KDR ingame anyway. Honestly I think KDR should be removed from every game. People get so hung up on it, and stop playing the objective because they're too busy padding a stat nobody actually cares about. It's even a stretch to say it reflects skill in any way. You can get a good KDR just running around getting the last hit on people after your teammates have done most of the work. Doesn't mean you're skilled, but you get a high KDR for it nonetheless.

It's a tryhard stat. I say get rid of it, and people will play the objective instead of farming kills.

PowerSenpai
11-06-2016, 04:40 PM
You don't see people's KDR ingame anyway. Honestly I think KDR should be removed from every game. People get so hung up on it, and stop playing the objective because they're too busy padding a stat nobody actually cares about. It's even a stretch to say it reflects skill in any way. You can get a good KDR just running around getting the last hit on people after your teammates have done most of the work. Doesn't mean you're skilled, but you get a high KDR for it nonetheless.

It's a tryhard stat. I say get rid of it, and people will play the objective instead of farming kills.

People like having a stat that they want to improve. K/D is that stat for many, and gives more longevity to the game for such people. It is so easy to implement so i don't see a reason to not have it.

waraidako
11-06-2016, 10:35 PM
You just quoted the reason not to have it. Because it makes people focus on farming kills rather than playing the objective. And it creates a bunch of drama with kill-stealing and what not. Without a stat showing how many kills you have, nobody would complain about kill-stealing. Nobody would run off and teamkill someone because they're salty that person stole their kill. Because they wouldn't feel like they lost out on something, they wouldn't feel cheated out of a mark of recognition, because there wouldn't be one.

Even just removing it from the scoreboard would be an improvement. You could still have it in some statistics list in a menu somewhere. Times fallen off of ladders, times pushed into spikes, minions killed, other players killed, zones captured, amount of damage taken, amount of damage blocked, perfect parries etc. etc. And just that small change would improve the behaviour of people ingame. Anything that prevents them from knowing who has killed the most other players.

If you want proof that it ruins gameplay, just go have a look at a game like Battlefield 1. In that game, when one side is losing hard, the game tries to give them a last chance to reverse the trend so the game lasts longer and doesn't turn into a roflstomp. They get an armoured train, or a zeppelin, or a dreadnought class warship. And you know what happens? That's right, everyone jumps into them, driving around just padding their KDR stats. Nobody thinks to use this opportunity to push and retake a few objectives so that they might not lose. Nope, to them it's just a bunch of free kills before the match ends.

It's a simple problem. If you're fighting someone in For Honor, and your teammate jumps in at the last 2% health and gets that final hit in, if nothing happened, if all that changed was one less enemy in your way, people would be fine with that. They would know that they did 98% of that, and they would know that the other person knows that they only did 2% of that. But as soon as you award a kill to that guy who jumped in at the end, that's the game telling you that your contribution of 98% of the work is nothing. You didn't kill anyone. He did. He deserves the credit, and at the end of the match, if he's above you on the list, you will know that the only reason that's the case, is because he's taking credit for your work.

Of course people are going to get pissed off at that. They have every right to be. Yet, that entire situation could have been avoided by not having the game give credit to either person. It's that simple. I have played games where they tried as an experiment to remove the kill stat, and just have deaths and points, and it improved the community immensely.

Verdexx
11-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Sadly there's not much of a way to 'permanently' remove it.. Only reduce the amount.
I don't see smurfing to even be a problem in this type of game.. Unless they bring in competitive gamemode that allows you to have a rank/De-rank- Plus! It is a team game..

On other words 'Kill stealing'
Just make the game award people for highest damage percent on the individual, it works in overwatch.

waraidako
11-08-2016, 12:11 AM
That doesn't solve the underlying problem, which is the stat padding. The focus on kills over all other forms of score. If the person with the most damage got the kill it would just lead to people not helping teammates because "I'm not going to get rewarded for it anyway, might as well go find some other enemy to attack."

And it has its own problems. What if I do 90% damage and then die? I've clearly lost the fight, if someone else jumps in and kills them, should I really get the kill for that? Probably you say no, but think of the alternative. Imagine if I've done 90% damage yet I'm about to die, and my teammate is standing right there. You and I both know what's going to happen. He will wait for me to die, so that he can jump in right afterwards and get credited for the kill.

The problem isn't the implementation, it's the statistic itself, and how it makes people behave.