PDA

View Full Version : Another idea.

yote224
07-31-2016, 11:05 AM
All work and no play makes my creative side come out and I refuse, REFUSE to let my hype dwindle over the coming 6 months.

So, I've noticed that there's a HUGE draw to the combat of this game; people continuously suggest 1v1s, attention has been paid to offside fights, and people have been known to have match-up speculation on faction vs faction or even class vs class. So while those folks want to look left, buckle up 'cuz we're making a sharp right into the battlefield.

Picture this: You and your Samurai brethren have broken the other team and 2 of you gang up and slay one of the 4 knights. Looking to secure the win you catch one of your comrades facing down one of the 3 remaining opponents and rush to his aid. All is looking well for your team because you have a 3 man horde against 2 possibly scattered opponents. Off in the distance you spot a knight retreating across the field (sounds better than you take a glance at your minimap :P) having seen the lay of the land before you know he's tucking back into a more defensible position that has a number of entrances and exits. So your group splits off to surround him.

Through his eyes he stares impending death in the face but trusts in himself to send as many of you to the grave as he can before falling in battle. Through one exit he sees a lone samurai approaching. Down another path he sees a pair. The group is going to pincer him from both sides and hope will be dashed out soon.

BUT THEN!

He slams into a lever and drops a portcullis that cuts off the Pair-o-samurai and rushes headlong at the single warrior besting him combat that is more favorable in odds to his alternative situation.

What do you folks think? Interactive obstacles that have either a cool down or possible Activation and Deactivation point? I don't think that has been brought up before but I figure it might add a little something something to the overall strategy part of the game that could couple well with standing your ground and beating people in combat.
I won't say that I personally want it implemented but I'll stand by the opinion that it's a cool idea but possibly not a good idea. Maybe we can kick that around while we wait for more info?

BaconBusterYT
07-31-2016, 07:40 PM
This could work, as long as these interactables don't become cheap or OP, and need some sort of activation time. I'd hate to be in the middle of a duel and all of the sudden he quickly presses a button and I lose my head. But if done right, and placed strategically, these could work in some maps.

MisterWillow
08-01-2016, 01:36 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

I remember Assassin's Creed multiplayer had the gates that would shut once you ran through them to cut off pursuers. Something similar (though activated via button press) could easily work in For Honor, especially since the environment is supposed to play a role in advantaging or disadvantaging combatants.

yote224
08-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Yes, Willow. The advantages and disadvantages was a curious thing to me. The teams are split into "Attackers" and "Defenders" but their objectives are to capture the same points, not "blue needs to defend the wall/ red needs to destroy it" so it was odd to me that they'd use those specific words to differentiate between teams. Maybe there's more too it that I haven't seen, maybe it's just a placeholder, maybe a lot of things but I felt that the environment (While gorgeous and interesting to me) could use some form of interaction beyond spike walls, ledges, positioning, I felt that interacting with it specifically to influence the game around it would be a neat idea.

Hohggan
08-02-2016, 04:44 AM
In my opinion, I believe interactive obstacles could work in For Honor as long as they are not used to effectively "one-shot" opposing players. Using these interactives should only be used for providing some sort of strategic escape from combat or possibly a way of cornering other players into an unfavorable position.

BudBro49
08-02-2016, 09:05 AM
In my opinion, I believe interactive obstacles could work in For Honor as long as they are not used to effectively "one-shot" opposing players. Using these interactives should only be used for providing some sort of strategic escape from combat or possibly a way of cornering other players into an unfavorable position.

Well, I believe they should be capable of effectively and efficiently removing opposing enemies, for the reason that it creates smarter players. It makes someone think about going through the "Fast and easy way" or making these strategic decisions to pincer attack. This is a team game after all.. If the team decides to just go killing others in a mob, the rest of your team can just do objectives and then that forces them to waste time running around from here to there and so on and so forth.

Just speculation though..

SearingShrapnel
08-02-2016, 11:00 PM
We already have spiked walls, bottomless pits and high places to shove people to, but more environmental kills are always welcome in my book.

V4nClief
08-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I do like the idea of an obstacle trap and I agree with most as this should have some sort of activation steps in order to complete the step. I don't want me and my buddies surrounding a guy and he finds a magical tree with a lever and presses one button and a giant griffin comes and carries me away to my death as he drops me off of a cliff. It has to be earned in a procedure and perhaps a step further maybe have to have trapping/evasion as a perk in order to even do such a thing.