PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag Redux

Pr0metheus 1962
07-30-2016, 01:49 AM
Hi folks,

Strangely enough, the one game in the franchise that I've been itching to dust off and replay has been Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. Since I'm in a lull in my gaming hobby, I just brought it out of retirement last week (by buying it on the PS4 - my initial playthrough was on the Xbox360) and I've been having a blast. However, I'm having a big emotional problem getting to the Charlestown blockade missions. I just want things to stay as they are, with the whole "Flying Gang" happy in Nassau. So I'm pottering around, finding treasure chests, playing pub games and listening to pub songs, often with a glass of port and a hint of a tear in the eye.

So I was wondering - has anyone else replayed the game? Does anyone else get a lump in their throat at the thought of the end of the Pirate Republic and the Golden Age of Piracy?

Or is it just me?

LoyalACFan
07-30-2016, 02:53 AM
I don't think it's strange at all; AC4 is easily the most replayable out of all the AC games IMO :) I actually had a bit of the feels you're talking about while I played through it the first time. Especially when Blackbeard tells Edward that he's leaving at Charleston. I already knew how Blackbeard died in real life, so it was a bit of a gut punch to see that endgame start forming in front of my eyes. Can't say I felt the same about the actual Pirate's Republic, though... Nassau was cool and all, but I think the story should have spent a bit more time there to establish it as a legitimate "home" for the pirates instead of just an ideological enclave of sorts. I didn't really feel too much of a loss when the British came and took it over (at least, not as much of a loss as when Monteriggioni was destroyed).

Locopells
07-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Beginning of the end and the road to the Parting Glass...no It's not just you! Although for me, it's more at the start of Edward loosing all the people he's come to know, rather than the pirate age itself.

Ureh
07-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Yeah same here. I bought my 2nd copy of AC4 about 2 months ago (from ps3 to ps4). Just couldn't resist a new copy for 10 bucks.

The graphical upgrade is pretty huge.

Beginning of the end and the road to the Parting Glass...no It's not just you! Although for me, it's more at the start of Edward loosing all the people he's come to know, rather than the pirate age itself.

I miss them too, as rough as they were. I felt so empty when we lost Mary, Caroline, Thatch, and the rest.

Farlander1991
07-30-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't think it's strange at all; AC4 is easily the most replayable out of all the AC games IMO :) I actually had a bit of the feels you're talking about while I played through it the first time. Especially when Blackbeard tells Edward that he's leaving at Charleston. I already knew how Blackbeard died in real life, so it was a bit of a gut punch to see that endgame start forming in front of my eyes. Can't say I felt the same about the actual Pirate's Republic, though... Nassau was cool and all, but I think the story should have spent a bit more time there to establish it as a legitimate "home" for the pirates instead of just an ideological enclave of sorts. I didn't really feel too much of a loss when the British came and took it over (at least, not as much of a loss as when Monteriggioni was destroyed).

For me the loss of Nassau was not something that hit me at first. Knowing the pirate history of this time beforehand, I fully expected to lose Nassau at one point. And then at the last gameplay sequence as I was clearing up all the side content I hadn't done by that point (because I wanted to do 100% of all the side-content before finishing the game), I went to Nassau to find a treasure from Treasure Map, and as I passed by the tavern where almost every sequence would start as well as most of Nassau missions, I realized that it's very empty and the music that's playing there is just simple instrumental with no singing, and I remembered how every time I'd approach previously I'd hear cheerful songs that I liked and that there were a bunch of people there and kinda started missing it.

D.I.D.
07-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I've been considering a replay of Black Flag. My heart sank so hard reading about Bloodsails and finding out that it would only be a mobile game. It may well be great, but I'd love a new Black Flag-esque game!

pacmanate
07-31-2016, 01:34 AM
Played Black Flag so many times. The parting glass song didnt make me cry like it did to some people but it was the most feelsy thing in an AC game for me

Ureh
07-31-2016, 04:45 AM
Played Black Flag so many times. The parting glass song didnt make me cry like it did to some people but it was the most feelsy thing in an AC game for me

Yeah same here. Mary Read's scene hit me the hardest... almost cried. But I had to hold back those tears. Just had to.

Helforsite
07-31-2016, 02:09 PM
While replaying Black Flag what I noticed was how annoying the naval combat and travel have become to me over time.

Ureh
07-31-2016, 02:15 PM
While replaying Black Flag what I noticed was how annoying the naval combat and travel have become to me over time.

Yeah sailing without having to do anything can be either relaxing or boring. And the grinding for upgrades can start from fun then quickly turn to monotonous. It all depends on each player but that's how I felt about those after just a few hours. Story and graphics on current-gen kept me going on.

LoyalACFan
08-03-2016, 07:26 AM

I admit I abused the heck out of fast travel on subsequent playthroughs, but only because I spent so much time exploring and upgrading on my first save :) I really enjoyed all the pillaging the first go-round, but after starting completely fresh on a new save... the prospect of building up my piratical empire from scratch again seemed pretty daunting. I didn't really do much naval combat outside of missions after that.

cawatrooper9
08-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Maybe it's the Game of Thrones fan in me, but I kind of love the point in Black Flag where things start just falling apart.

Not to say I don't feel for the characters- I think Black Flag tells the personal story that Unity wanted to, and it's one of the few games that has ever brought a tear to my eye- but that's why I love it, it's actually really well done tragedy.

I admit I abused the heck out of fast travel on subsequent playthroughs, but only because I spent so much time exploring and upgrading on my first save :) I really enjoyed all the pillaging the first go-round, but after starting completely fresh on a new save... the prospect of building up my piratical empire from scratch again seemed pretty daunting. I didn't really do much naval combat outside of missions after that.

I made it a point in my first playthrough of Black Flag to not use any fast travel at all. It was actually a pretty cool experience... but never again.