PDA

View Full Version : Joystick problems IL 2 v1.2

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:38 PM
The joystick I am using (logitech wingman extreme 3d) does not respond on the z axis equally. What happens is that it responds about 1/2 the distance when turned counterclockwise versus clockwise. The "distance" I am referring to is the axes indicator for yaw in the input menu. Is there anyway I can set the joystick profiles or can filtering help. I've looked in the manual and it doesn't explain or tell me the difference between the green and red response indicators.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:38 PM
The joystick I am using (logitech wingman extreme 3d) does not respond on the z axis equally. What happens is that it responds about 1/2 the distance when turned counterclockwise versus clockwise. The "distance" I am referring to is the axes indicator for yaw in the input menu. Is there anyway I can set the joystick profiles or can filtering help. I've looked in the manual and it doesn't explain or tell me the difference between the green and red response indicators.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Have you tried callibrating the stick - not in the game, but using the game controller dialog?

If it's not a callibration problem, you might have a dirty potentiometer in the twist grip. It's a known issue on Wingman sticks. I've had several and they all got this problem. It's possible to disassemble the stick and clean it.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 07:33 PM
the red block refers to the input as read by your computer, the green block the input read by the game, after any 'profiling'.If the red block does not go to extreme left/right smoothly then the joystick is at fault-probably a 'dirty pot'.Cleaning the pot with a switch cleaner might help, otherwise a new joystick-ouch! good luck

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 08:31 PM
I had a wingman attack 2 and a wingman 3d.
The bottom line is that they are really bad joysticks for FB (they might be ok with other games, I don't know).

The amount of axis movement is one third of the movement that I get with my saitek cyborg 3d gold. That means that your hand movements will have to be a three times more sensitive. Basically, you can't fly properly with a wingman joystick; it's impossible to fly on the edge of the flight envelopes without stalling all the time.
Play around with the filter, deadzone and sensitivity all you want... it doesn't make much difference to fix this basic problem.

For instance, the saitek doesn't need *any* setting up at all. I have sensitivity at 100% except the first slider at 50% for slight adjustments. No deadzone. No filter. And your flying will improve 200% in the first few minutes of trying this joystick. Saitek is cheaper too.

My opinon: dump the wingman series for FB.

<CENTER>http://www.666th.com/uploads/forumsigs/5-il2logo.gif</CENTER>

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Ya...I have a wingman and it sucks utter ***. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif