PDA

View Full Version : What is you favorite upgrade to the Hidden Blade?

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2016, 02:10 AM
http://67.media.tumblr.com/db294468d8204d9959cafc0a84d62ac8/tumblr_nemhiu2Fph1r3a4who2_r7_500.gif

The Phantom Blade doesn't get enough love, in my opinion. Not only are the sound effects and animation work incredibly detailed and top-notch, it's sleek and subtle. It's the ultimate extension of the traditional Hidden Blade, allowing players to assassinate targets silently from afar 360 with maximum speed and precision. You can quick shot while jumping, you can quick shot in covers, and you can use it when you have your weapon equipped. It's by far the most versatile tool we've had in the franchise and I hope to see it return someday with hopefully the added feature of using it while climbing like in the E3 cinematic trailer.

Yep, this was a disguised appreciation thread for the Phantom Blade. :p But seriously, what was your favorite addition?

SixKeys
07-28-2016, 03:08 AM
Went with poison blade due to the risk/reward balance (especially in multiplayer). I like how in AC2 it required you to get close to your target. It was a way to take them out silently without being seen, but you had to risk exposing yourself. The introduction of long-distance darts made poison OP.

Phantom blade was a bit OP too, if highly useful. Can't say I didn't use it all the time in Unity, which was kind of the problem.

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2016, 04:38 AM
I LOVE poison in MP (although, annoyingly OP in BH/R), but I don't recall them being being a HB addition in the MP. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

As for the Phantom Blade, I don't think OP is the word to describe it. Handy, definitely. Unity is painful without it, but I think that goes to show how each tool was implemented more carefully. There wasn't much fluff for the sake of it. Quick shots won't get you seen, but their distance requires you to get close and you can't quick shot certain high level archetypes without getting detected since they can survive a shot. And aiming still has limited distance and can get you detected if an enemy is looking your direction. Refills also cost more than other things and most of the time, I run out of Phantom Blades before I'm halfway through the missions so I needed to use them carefully.

Farlander1991
07-28-2016, 06:18 AM
HATE poison in MP. So many times I'd see a person clearly moving in to kill me, lock on to them, stun as soon as possible and yet STILL got poisoned, even from around the corners. Absolutely hate that ability.

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2016, 06:20 AM
I remember back in the days, my brother and I were so addicted to BH's MP that we stopped abusing poison at one point and tried to beat their scores without it.

Helforsite
07-28-2016, 03:59 PM
While I absolutely loved Poison in Multiplayer, because it was so sneaky, I didn't think it worked too well in Singleplayer and thats why I voted for the secondary hidden blade.

cawatrooper9
07-28-2016, 10:09 PM
I'd say the secondary hidden blade, as it's certainly gotten the most use from me.

SixKeys
07-29-2016, 01:09 AM
I LOVE poison in MP (although, annoyingly OP in BH/R), but I don't recall them being being a HB addition in the MP. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It technically wasn't since in ACB the Templar trainees didn't use the hidden blade at all but their own unique weapons (hair pin, syringe, etc.). Starting with ACR they introduced stealth kills that had a shorter kill animation, allowing for a quicker escape from the scene, as long as you were in low profile. These low profile kills used the hidden blade, though you could switch them out for daggers and shivs by buying them with Abstergo credits. (It was only a cosmetic change though.)

Megas_Doux
07-29-2016, 01:37 AM
Tied between phantom blade and the gauntlet.

Helforsite
07-29-2016, 07:15 AM
Also, I always found the Hidden Gun useless, because it was too loud and took too long to fire!

LoyalACFan
07-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Also, I always found the Hidden Gun useless, because it was too loud and took too long to fire!

Yeah, in AC2 it was basically useless IMO, but in the sequels it was better because it fired faster and was tied to the sword so it could be fired on the fly in the middle of combat.

I went with the double blade though. Admittedly, mostly because the combat animations for it are sick, but also because it's obviously a good upgrade; getting both guards standing watch on either side of a doorway feels awesome.

As for the phantom blade... eh, it's basically just a throwing knife with a really cheesy-looking firing mechanism IMO. It was a big help in Unity, but TBH, not to any greater degree than the blowpipe in AC4.

D.I.D.
07-29-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm that person voting for the gauntlet!

Phantom Blade was good, but it's essentially a throwing knife. The gauntlet added the rope launcher which was a genuinely different and surprisingly enjoyable tool.

cawatrooper9
07-29-2016, 08:48 PM
Yeah, in AC2 it was basically useless IMO, but in the sequels it was better because it fired faster and was tied to the sword so it could be fired on the fly in the middle of combat.

It always annoyed me when Ezio would use it for an execution in ACB. Like, I guess it looks cool, but could you just stab the guy and save me a bullet?

I always found it to be incredibly powerful when fired in the final fight with Cesare, though.

Ureh
07-29-2016, 09:11 PM
It always annoyed me when Ezio would use it for an execution in ACB. Like, I guess it looks cool, but could you just stab the guy and save me a bullet?

I always found it to be incredibly powerful when fired in the final fight with Cesare, though.

The final scene with Abbas was pretty cool too. "You wasted your entire life looking at the apple!"

Nope. "Let me show you." BOOM!

RVSage
07-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Phantom blade FTW

cawatrooper9
07-29-2016, 10:50 PM
The final scene with Abbas was pretty cool too. "You wasted your entire life looking at the apple!"

Nope. "Let me show you." BOOM!

Ah yeah, that was pretty cool. To be honest, I kind of love that entire flashback sequence.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-30-2016, 12:37 AM
Loved the pivot blade and the second blade.

And guys, don't EVEN get me started on the poison blade in MP. I've been playing AC4MP recently and every time, EVERY TIME, I stun someone, usually a prestige, and I'm like "wait... did they poison me?"

*screen turns green*

GOOSHDARN IT!

LoyalACFan
07-30-2016, 02:56 AM

I don't think the counter-kill moves actually use bullets, do they? Just the double-kill ones.

Farlander1991
07-30-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't think the counter-kill moves actually use bullets, do they? Just the double-kill ones.

Yeah, pistol counter kills don't use bullets, you can see it in this video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5FmwqTKI4) (the first counter is a gun counter).