PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Bloodsail - Announced

Sorrosyss
07-27-2016, 10:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/La6itn4.jpg

A new game in development has been announced by Ubisoft China, based on the ship mechanics from Black Flag. It is expected to begin beta testing in March 2017.

Oh yes, and its a mobile game.

As you were. :p

(Credit to the beloved Access The Animus (https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/))

ERICATHERINE
07-28-2016, 12:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/La6itn4.jpg

A new game in development has been announced by Ubisoft China, based on the ship mechanics from Black Flag. It is expected to begin beta testing in March 2017.

Oh yes, and its a mobile game.

As you were. :p

(Credit to the beloved Access The Animus (https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/))

If it's a mobile game, I'm guessing it will be more like that game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OcBWnCUHX0

...than black flag. ^-^

SixKeys
07-28-2016, 01:15 AM
Pirates never worked for me. Literally the game would crash after the first mission and refuse to relaunch. I don't have a lot of faith in this project.

Pandassin
07-28-2016, 10:47 AM
I wonder how this will be different from AC Pirates. I only just downloaded it about a month ago, I haven't made much progress but it's a fun game to play.

Helforsite
07-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Not really a fan of mobile Assassin's Creed games, will look at it when it comes out though...

cawatrooper9
07-28-2016, 10:11 PM
http://intmstat.com/applications-integration/at-model.gif

Here's a visual depiction of my interest level in this project as I read the original post.

Sorry, mobile's not for me.

pacmanate
07-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Nice nice, I see the milking has now moved from AC games in general to ship sailing.

AC4
AC Rogue
AC Pirates
AC Bloodsail

Keep it up, Ubisoft.

ERICATHERINE
07-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Nice nice, I see the milking has now moved from AC games in general to ship sailing.

AC4
AC Rogue
AC Pirates
AC Bloodsail

Keep it up, Ubisoft.

No to forget the naval missions of ac iii and the stand alone version of freedom cry. ^-^

cawatrooper9
07-29-2016, 08:47 PM
No to forget the naval missions of ac iii and the stand alone version of freedom cry. ^-^

I mean, ACIII was where it all started, and Freedom Cry was planned DLC. I don't think they're nearly as bad.

RVSage
07-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Pass

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-30-2016, 12:34 AM
So much from taking a break from releasing games for the year...

I guess mobile games aren't REAL games... :rolleyes:

Mr.Black24
07-30-2016, 03:24 AM

Wouldn't it be horrible if it were a sequel to Connor? :rolleyes: Or a Shay game?

I-Like-Pie45
07-30-2016, 07:00 AM
well the hardcore gamers crowd fought for that distinction between mobile games and other games so now they reap what they sow

how long until assassins creed go, the worlds first ar assassinating/exercising sim

joshoolhorst
07-30-2016, 02:05 PM
nope

joshoolhorst
07-30-2016, 02:06 PM

I just wish they didn't release anything besides the AC movie this year gives the team behind the games more rest

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't it be horrible if it were a sequel to Connor? :rolleyes: Or a Shay game?

FFFFFFFF Don't you dare give them ideas!!

I just wish they didn't release anything besides the AC movie this year gives the team behind the games more rest

Agreed! +1

pacmanate
07-30-2016, 07:04 PM

But its for 2017?

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-30-2016, 09:14 PM
But its for 2017?

Ah, just saw that when I read some articles. Couldve have sworn I saw one of them coming out later this year...

But still, mobile games are meh IMO of course :p

Fatal-Feit
07-31-2016, 01:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CosXAFfXgAAGxv7.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CosW93JWcAAE5C_.jpg:large

Megas_Doux
07-31-2016, 10:02 PM
They should at least move ouf of the Caribbean.

Farlander1991
07-31-2016, 11:13 PM

This always is a tricky question, isn't it? You revisit areas from main games in mobile and console spin-offs, half of the fan-base goes 'they should go to new locations'. You go to new locations in mobile and console spin-offs, the other half of the fan-base goes, 'bwaaah, they're robing a possible main game out of using this location, why are they going there?!?!?!?!' :rolleyes:

ERICATHERINE
07-31-2016, 11:44 PM

Isn't that what they did with rogue. ^-^

Mr.Black24
08-01-2016, 04:02 AM
This always is a tricky question, isn't it? You revisit areas from main games in mobile and console spin-offs, half of the fan-base goes 'they should go to new locations'. You go to new locations in mobile and console spin-offs, the other half of the fan-base goes, 'bwaaah, they're robing a possible main game out of using this location, why are they going there?!?!?!?!' :rolleyes:
Well it goes a bit deeper than that.

Look at China, a most requested setting reduced to a mobile game. Granted it was playable in consoles and PC, but gameplay-mechanic wise, it was a buffed up mobile game. It was a side scroller, left, right, up, and down, almost maze like. People wanted to explore around China as we have done in the Crusades, Renaissance and Colonial America. But we didn't.

Want a "good" spinoff game? Rogue is one that comes to mind. Granted, some people here have thier opinions on it, but the thing is we went back to Colonial America in the same structure as on the other main games, a 3D fully environmentally game with a complex system and world. At the same time, Rogue is this hybrid of a spinoff/main game, where its part of the here and now, but it is complementary to the story of Unity....though where are you Shay, like you say things like "Templars are going to start the French Revolution," and then fly off without any context whatsoever.

Plus lets be real here, people who want to go back to past games would be people asking for Connor, Shay, Aveline, or Arno's ending story arcs. We are already familiar with the Renaissance and Caribbean. Why go back to locations where the story arcs are already resolved and fully explored?

Farlander1991
08-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Look at China, a most requested setting reduced to a mobile game.

See, I have several issues with these kinds of statements from the fans.
a) It presumes that mobile games are lesser than console titles or other genres. They aren't.
b) It presumes that a mobile title denies an open-world console title visiting the settings. It doesn't.
c) It presumes that any spinoff should be an open-world title. It doesn't. Spinoffs usually exist to explore the franchise in other genres. And I would argue that spinoffs that don't try to be open world games, like Discovery and Chronicles, are better than spinoffs that try to be full-fledged open-world titles, like Bloodlines and Liberation.

Want a "good" spinoff game? Rogue is one that comes to mind.

Rogue is a fine game and has its moments, however:
a) It's arguable whether it's actually good.
b) It's not a spinoff game. For some reason because it was released alongside Unity it's considered to be so, but it's a full-fledged X360/PS3 part of the main franchise. Calling Rogue a spin-off means that we have to call games like Brotherhood, Revelations and Black Flag spinoffs too for being so heavily based on their previous titles, but they aren't. (and if being a 'spinoff' is somehow based on modern day direct connection, well by that logic then BF, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate are ALL spinoffs :rolleyes: still, though, there are plot threads that go through each that make them connected, if a bit loosely)

Plus lets be real here, people who want to go back to past games would be people asking for Connor, Shay, Aveline, or Arno's ending story arcs.

That's not what 'story arcs' mean. All characters have arcs set up and ended in their respective main games. What you want is a whole extended life story and bio, and I don't blame for wanting it given that starting with Ezio a bunch of characters have received it (as opposed to how it was in Altair's time when it was just several separate arcs in the main game and a couple spinoff titles without full life knowledge, just hints of it), but it's NOT what story arcs mean. If we look at our pretty boy Ezio, then he has several story arcs across the franchise, but the one that was set up in AC2 was resolved there as well. There's no unresolved story arc for any of the main game AC characters yet.

Why go back to locations where the story arcs are already resolved and fully explored?

Well, it's not like locations are characters. We're settings, and we don't revisit Ezio or Edward in these mobile titles.

Ureh
08-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Want a "good" spinoff game? Rogue is one that comes to mind. Granted, some people here have thier opinions on it, but the thing is we went back to Colonial America in the same structure as on the other main games, a 3D fully environmentally game with a complex system and world. At the same time, Rogue is this hybrid of a spinoff/main game, where its part of the here and now, but it is complementary to the story of Unity....though where are you Shay, like you say things like "Templars are going to start the French Revolution," and then fly off without any context whatsoever.

Plus lets be real here, people who want to go back to past games would be people asking for Connor, Shay, Aveline, or Arno's ending story arcs. We are already familiar with the Renaissance and Caribbean. Why go back to locations where the story arcs are already resolved and fully explored?

Hey Mr.Black,

Let me know if I misinterpreted your post.

1. I think the events that coincided between Ro and U were nice eggs. A decent crossover. But I don't think I ever got the feeling that they were truly complementary. One reason you pointed out: Shay and his "revolution" line. Francois de la Serre didn't seem interested in throwing France into chaos, so I doubt Shay was collaborating with Francois. So did Shay know about Germain's plans to ignite the revolution? Probably not right? Since Germain's actions and intentions go against the reason why Shay left the Assassins. Maybe Shay was just using hyperbole, maybe he was joking, or mocking/taunting, or it was coincidence, or he'll start a revolution in another country? Nothing came of that line, as far we can tell. Another reason is probably based on how I perceived the story: Charles' death at Shay's hand does indeed set Arno on a path but Shay didn't really play a role later on, I think. Arno doesn't wonder who killed his father, he never seems to ponder on revenge. Instead all of his grief is focused on himself; he blames himself for his father's murder. ACU would've probably been the same even if we weren't shown that Shay was the murderer (so it could be anyone right?). I would say the first domino that made Arno into who he is, was actually his mother abandoning him.

2. What's wrong with revisiting the old locations in a mobile/handheld game though? Most of us probably aren't going to play those games. And for people who have never touched even one of the main games, this game could serve as a substitute for them (maybe it'll even pique their interest in the main games). Fans that really loved the Ezio games or Americas but want something new in those setting can try these games. Mobile game development is a lot cheaper and can end in lotsa profits. But it's too early to presume that a profitable mobile game in the Renaissance/Golden Age means they'll revisit it (again) in a main game.

cawatrooper9
08-01-2016, 10:07 PM
a) It presumes that mobile games are lesser than console titles or other genres. They aren't.
b) It presumes that a mobile title denies an open-world console title visiting the settings. It doesn't.
c) It presumes that any spinoff should be an open-world title. It doesn't. Spinoffs usually exist to explore the franchise in other genres. And I would argue that spinoffs that don't try to be open world games, like Discovery and Chronicles, are better than spinoffs that try to be full-fledged open-world titles, like Bloodlines and Liberation.

I think what he means is that he feels China has been wasted on a platform that he has no interest in. Now, personally I do enjoy many mobile games. Pokemon Go, for instance, is one of my favorite games of this year so far (until No Man's Sky comes out next week, I assume). But let's be real- when you ask someone if they play Assassins Creed, do you think their first thought is "Oh yeah, I LOVE Bloodlines and Chronicles!" Doubtful, they're spinoffs for a reason- they've been made to be enjoyed, of course, but they're essentially side content. The heart of the series is and always will be the open world console titles, unless Ubisoft pulls a Konami and starts just making mobile Pachinko games.

That's not what 'story arcs' mean. All characters have arcs set up and ended in their respective main games. What you want is a whole extended life story and bio, and I don't blame for wanting it given that starting with Ezio a bunch of characters have received it (as opposed to how it was in Altair's time when it was just several separate arcs in the main game and a couple spinoff titles without full life knowledge, just hints of it), but it's NOT what story arcs mean. If we look at our pretty boy Ezio, then he has several story arcs across the franchise, but the one that was set up in AC2 was resolved there as well. There's no unresolved story arc for any of the main game AC characters yet.
Yeah, the fascination with seeing a character through to their death is not a story arc. I'm not sure he's referring to that, though. Personally, I think Connor's story arc ended rather anti-climactically and deserves more content. Arno's ended well enough in the game, but the DLC really opened up his case again, only to leave many threads hanging. Shay's arc is over enough, I guess, but there was still a lot of loose threads there, too. That's my take, anyway.

SixKeys
08-01-2016, 10:30 PM
I don't have a problem with already-visited locations being repurposed for mobile. AC Identity's choice of the Italian Renaissance was a bit cynical, and now Alliance doing it AGAIN even more so, because we already have two full console games in that era. It's overkill. But revisiting Constantinople, Jerusalem or the Caribbean? Fine with me. I know Connor fans will probably disagree, but I feel that if a sequel to Connor's story should ever happen in some form, a mobile game might be a good option.

Farlander1991
08-01-2016, 10:30 PM
I think what he means is that he feels China has been wasted on a platform that he has no interest in.

There's that word again, 'wasted'. It's not 'wasted'. As I said, just because a setting is used in a side or mobile title doesn't mean that it can't be used in a full-fledged console title. It's not like a setting is a one-shot thing. If you're not interested ('you' as in general person, not 'you' as in you in particular, cawa), then you're not interested, that's fine, but don't call it 'setting wasted'.

But let's be real- when you ask someone if they play Assassins Creed, do you think their first thought is "Oh yeah, I LOVE Bloodlines and Chronicles!" Doubtful, they're spinoffs for a reason- they've been made to be enjoyed, of course, but they're essentially side content.

The only reason why people are not saying that is because a game like Chronicles and other AC spinoffs are flawed and not polished enough to be loved by a mass audience, just 'liked' (which is good enough, but still). Hearthstone is a Warcraft spinoff, and it's a massive success and tons of people play it who have never even touched the strategy games or World of Warcraft. Like me. Well, I did play the strategy games more than a decade ago, but I have never played WoW and I absolutely adore Hearthstone. There are people who enjoy the **** out of Mario Kart but don't play the main Mario titles. There are people who love Lara Croft isometric co-op spinoffs but don't play the main games. Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go became insanely popular games introducing lots of mobile players to the franchise, even if many of them might not necessarily get into console titles, but you will find lots of people say 'oh I absolutely love playing Hitman Go'. A game being a spinoff is not a barrier for it being the reason people play or get into a franchise.

Personally, I think Connor's story arc ended rather anti-climactically and deserves more content. Arno's ended well enough in the game, but the DLC really opened up his case again, only to leave many threads hanging. Shay's arc is over enough, I guess, but there was still a lot of loose threads there, too.

Connor's arc is tragic, but it was resolved. Yes, you can tell more stories about him, but it doesn't mean that what AC3 told wasn't tied up as a character arc. Arno, I don't really see any threads hanging from the DLC when it comes to Arno himself. It's more like meta-threads as it concerns Eve and the artifact from Saint Denis, but not Arno. And Shay's arc was resolved as well. And there's difference between 'arc being resolved' and 'potential to tell more'.

cawatrooper9
08-01-2016, 10:51 PM
There's that word again, 'wasted'. It's not 'wasted'. As I said, just because a setting is used in a side or mobile title doesn't mean that it can't be used in a full-fledged console title. It's not like a setting is a one-shot thing. If you're not interested ('you' as in general person, not 'you' as in you in particular, cawa), then you're not interested, that's fine, but don't call it 'setting wasted'.

I think people can call it what they want, thanks. You're right in that a mobile game isn't a guarantee that we won't see that same setting in a console release, but the implication is simply there. Russia, India, and China have been some of the biggest fan requested settings. Getting them in a smaller release like this just seems like a move to placate the supporters of those settings, particularly when we have rumors now that none of the next upcoming three console releases will be in those settings.

The only reason why people are not saying that is because a game like Chronicles and other AC spinoffs are flawed and not polished enough to be loved by a mass audience, just 'liked' (which is good enough, but still). Hearthstone is a Warcraft spinoff, and it's a massive success and tons of people play it who have never even touched the strategy games or World of Warcraft. Like me. Well, I did play the strategy games more than a decade ago, but I have never played WoW and I absolutely adore Hearthstone. There are people who enjoy the **** out of Mario Kart but don't play the main Mario titles. There are people who love Lara Croft isometric co-op spinoffs but don't play the main games. Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go became insanely popular games introducing lots of mobile players to the franchise, even if many of them might not necessarily get into console titles, but you will find lots of people say 'oh I absolutely love playing Hitman Go'. A game being a spinoff is not a barrier for it being the reason people play or get into a franchise.

Sure, but I don't know what I might have said to make you think that I believe all spinoffs are bad. We're still talking about Assassins Creed, right? That's the topic at hand, and specifically what I was referencing. By your own admission, these spinoff games have been "flawed and not polished enough to be loved by a mass audience". That's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Connor's arc is tragic, but it was resolved. Yes, you can tell more stories about him, but it doesn't mean that what AC3 told wasn't tied up as a character arc. Arno, I don't really see any threads hanging from the DLC when it comes to Arno himself. It's more like meta-threads as it concerns Eve and the artifact from Saint Denis, but not Arno. And Shay's arc was resolved as well. And there's difference between 'arc being resolved' and 'potential to tell more'.
I did differentiate between "arc being resolved" and "potential to tell more"- either way, I think it's a wasted opportunity. Regarding Connor and Arno- I don't know, I guess I just disagree with you. But whatever, I digress, and I think we're both smart enough to realize how hard and pointless it is to try to change someone's mind about a trivial item on the internet. :rolleyes:

Cheers, brother.

Farlander1991
08-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Sure, but I don't know what I might have said to make you think that I believe all spinoffs are bad. We're still talking about Assassins Creed, right? That's the topic at hand, and specifically what I was referencing. By your own admission, these spinoff games have been "flawed and not polished enough to be loved by a mass audience". That's hardly a ringing endorsement.

The point is, just because the existing spinoffs don't have mass audience appeal and love, doesn't mean that these new ones won't as well.

I did differentiate between "arc being resolved" and "potential to tell more"

Well, that particular sentence wasn't directed at you, but more in general as a response to the people demanding the so called 'closure' or 'story ending'.

Mr.Black24
08-02-2016, 03:22 AM
While I am neutral to A) and B), I should have written that better honestly, merely stating the feelings of fans, nothing more; I would say with good standing that Bloodlines and Liberation is much higher that Discovery and Chronicles. But again, that is just opinion.

a) It's arguable whether it's actually good.

b) It's not a spinoff game. For some reason because it was released alongside Unity it's considered to be so, but it's a full-fledged X360/PS3 part of the main franchise. Calling Rogue a spin-off means that we have to call games like Brotherhood, Revelations and Black Flag spinoffs too for being so heavily based on their previous titles, but they aren't. (and if being a 'spinoff' is somehow based on modern day direct connection, well by that logic then BF, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate are ALL spinoffs :rolleyes: still, though, there are plot threads that go through each that make them connected, if a bit loosely) I gave already addressed this in my last post. Perhaps you jumped the gun real quick like, I'll kindly copy-paste it here:

"Granted, some people here have thier opinions on it, but the thing is we went back to Colonial America in the same structure as on the other main games, a 3D fully environmentally game with a complex system and world. At the same time, Rogue is this hybrid of a spinoff/main game, where its part of the here and now, but it is complementary to the story of Unity....though where are you Shay, like you say things like "Templars are going to start the French Revolution," and then fly off without any context whatsoever. "

In addition to the new info above, I am sure that Ubisoft had already said that Rogue is a companion game to Unity, a spinoff as it is.

That's not what 'story arcs' mean. All characters have arcs set up and ended in their respective main games. What you want is a whole extended life story and bio, and I don't blame for wanting it given that starting with Ezio a bunch of characters have received it (as opposed to how it was in Altair's time when it was just several separate arcs in the main game and a couple spinoff titles without full life knowledge, just hints of it), but it's NOT what story arcs mean. If we look at our pretty boy Ezio, then he has several story arcs across the franchise, but the one that was set up in AC2 was resolved there as well. There's no unresolved story arc for any of the main game AC characters yet. I would argue that Shay is the most unresolved character with the unresolved story arc. At least Connor has a sense of direction, seeing how his speech was. However with Shay, why mention the French Revolution and not be part of it? Its a world event and a major part of the franchise, a la Unity, and just making a throw away line like that is something that just cant be left like that. Not to mention the whole, "I'm going to stop the Assassins to protect the innocent" to "The French Revolution will tip in favor of Templar power, even if it results in the destruction of innocent lives" Where was this transition? Why was it so? How was it so?

Well, it's not like locations are characters. We're settings, and we don't revisit Ezio or Edward in these mobile titles.
I haven't played the game, but I heard you do meet Ezio in Identity, as well as meet the characters of Black Flag in Bloodsails. I believe that since by association, its very difficult for fans to separate the character from the setting, since its their stomping grounds, thier playing field.

Hey Mr.Black,

Let me know if I misinterpreted your post.

1. I think the events that coincided between Ro and U were nice eggs. A decent crossover. But I don't think I ever got the feeling that they were truly complementary. One reason you pointed out: Shay and his "revolution" line. Francois de la Serre didn't seem interested in throwing France into chaos, so I doubt Shay was collaborating with Francois. So did Shay know about Germain's plans to ignite the revolution? Probably not right? Since Germain's actions and intentions go against the reason why Shay left the Assassins. Maybe Shay was just using hyperbole, maybe he was joking, or mocking/taunting, or it was coincidence, or he'll start a revolution in another country? Nothing came of that line, as far we can tell. Another reason is probably based on how I perceived the story: Charles' death at Shay's hand does indeed set Arno on a path but Shay didn't really play a role later on, I think. Arno doesn't wonder who killed his father, he never seems to ponder on revenge. Instead all of his grief is focused on himself; he blames himself for his father's murder. ACU would've probably been the same even if we weren't shown that Shay was the murderer (so it could be anyone right?). I would say the first domino that made Arno into who he is, was actually his mother abandoning him. Its these kinds of questions that I too want answers, which Shay's ending did not do. I know endings can leave questions itself, but the way it was with this is rather frustrating to me. Again its me and other people who want to know too. I know others don't care as much or anything, but there is a strong crowd out there that wants more

2. What's wrong with revisiting the old locations in a mobile/handheld game though? Most of us probably aren't going to play those games. And for people who have never touched even one of the main games, this game could serve as a substitute for them (maybe it'll even pique their interest in the main games). Fans that really loved the Ezio games or Americas but want something new in those setting can try these games. Mobile game development is a lot cheaper and can end in lotsa profits. But it's too early to presume that a profitable mobile game in the Renaissance/Golden Age means they'll revisit it (again) in a main game. Its expectation from the fans.

We walked around the Holy Lands, climbed the buildings of Italy, sailed the open seas of the Caribbean, and trailed across the frontier of Colonial America. People have wanted to do the same for China. You seen talks in forums and blogs, youtube videos and fan art, of people wanting to jump around China or Japan, Egypt or Russia, walk among the crowds, checking out every street corner, finding lost tombs. But instead of doing all of that....we jump up and down platforms in a flat mobile game experience.....

Its not in depth or epic like the main games. People want to be immersed into the world

Farlander1991
08-02-2016, 07:54 AM
While I am neutral to A) and B), I should have written that better honestly, merely stating the feelings of fans, nothing more; I would say with good standing that Bloodlines and Liberation is much higher that Discovery and Chronicles. But again, that is just opinion.

We can't speak for the fans or their feelings without some aggregated data, just for ourselves. To me Chronicles and Discovery are much better games than Liberation and Bloodlines, and I know plenty of people with similar opinion. But no one from us can say if it's a dominating opinion.

I gave already addressed this in my last post. Perhaps you jumped the gun real quick like, I'll kindly copy-paste it here:

"Granted, some people here have thier opinions on it, but the thing is we went back to Colonial America in the same structure as on the other main games, a 3D fully environmentally game with a complex system and world. At the same time, Rogue is this hybrid of a spinoff/main game, where its part of the here and now, but it is complementary to the story of Unity....though where are you Shay, like you say things like "Templars are going to start the French Revolution," and then fly off without any context whatsoever. "

In addition to the new info above, I am sure that Ubisoft had already said that Rogue is a companion game to Unity, a spinoff as it is.

I did read it, my point was that you have to d some real stretching to justify calling Rogue a 'spinoff', and even now you're stretching what Ubi once said about it being a companion game. That was during the Rogue marketing time when Ubi tried to show how Rogue is just as important as Unity, that it's NOT a spin-off but a full-fledged main game on old-gen consoles. So the end of 2014 didn't see a release of one main game and one spin-off title, it was two main games - one on next gen consoles and one on old-gen consoles.

I would argue that Shay is the most unresolved character with the unresolved story arc. At least Connor has a sense of direction, seeing how his speech was. However with Shay, why mention the French Revolution and not be part of it? Its a world event and a major part of the franchise, a la Unity, and just making a throw away line like that is something that just cant be left like that. Not to mention the whole, "I'm going to stop the Assassins to protect the innocent" to "The French Revolution will tip in favor of Templar power, even if it results in the destruction of innocent lives" Where was this transition? Why was it so? How was it so?

There is no transition that you speak of. Shay with his line just said that the Templars will tip their power back. The whole 'even if it results in the destruction of innocent lives' is just something that you attribute to it, but not what was mentioned. And while we're at it, Shay didn't even mention the French Revolution. Why would he anyway, it's 13 years between Charles' death and the French Revolution. Basically he replied 'we will redo our work' to Charles' 'your work has been undone'.

But if we look at the story of Rogue, in a very short description:
1. Shay begins as an Assassin doubting in their actions.
2. Shay and the Assassins find a MacGuffin and send Shay to use them which results in something horrible.
3. Shay wants to make amends and stop the Assassins from doing that again, joining Templars on the way believing that their way is better.
4. Shay stops the Assassins and retrieves all the MacGuffins.
There. Story arc resolved.

I haven't played the game, but I heard you do meet Ezio in Identity, as well as meet the characters of Black Flag in Bloodsails. I believe that since by association, its very difficult for fans to separate the character from the setting, since its their stomping grounds, thier playing field.

Well, I've meant that we don't play as Ezio and Edward and don't tell additional stories with them. Meeting them is another matter entirely, there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I don't know if Identity does it, but it would be really cool that, if we do meet Ezio at the beginning, that we do so while fighting Borgia guards in Rome. He saves us and recruits us. So we're essentially taking a role of one of the recruits that Ezio gets during Brotherhood and then sends on different missions.

Sorrosyss
08-02-2016, 12:52 PM
I briefly mentioned this in another post, but as for the whole mobile versus console argument, I do see both sides of the argument.

From my personal standpoint, I find mobile games disappointing as I predominantly play console games. I invested in a big TV, and I'd much rather immerse into that than a tiny phone or Ipad screen. Frankly, during the day time I'm either working or travelling with no real time to play a mobile game until I'm home anyway.

If we were to do a direct comparison with Identity, then there are some pretty stark differences between that and say... Syndicate.

- It's not truly open world in the traditional sense.
- There is no voice acting and very little music.
- Graphics arguably look last generation. (But admittedly good for mobile)
- AI is very simplified.
- No stealth mode.
- Very little story of any kind.
- Weak customisation for appearance.
- Controls are hit and miss, especially when it mistakes turning the camera on the touchscreen for movement.

For me, the console game has far more depth both technically and immersion wise. That being said, I do play Identity extensively, purely as a fan of the franchise. But if you gave me the choice of the two formats, I know which I'd choose every time. I think this stigma is why you generally see fans of franchises respond with "Meh, mobile" to announcements like this. Not so much that they think it'll be a bad game, just that it doesn't meet with their expectations. I suppose people can only blame themselves in that way, but I'd certainly have preferred these mobile concepted games as full console releases - especially in the MMO's case. I'm still looking to try them out, but I'm not going to hide my slight disappointment. I had the same reaction with the Chronicles games after all. :p

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 02:34 PM
We can't speak for the fans or their feelings without some aggregated data, just for ourselves. To me Chronicles and Discovery are much better games than Liberation and Bloodlines, and I know plenty of people with similar opinion. But no one from us can say if it's a dominating opinion.

That's fair. Look, I don't want to exacerbate anything, and I see no need for any of us to make this personal. However, do any of you see any value in making a poll for this, simply for curiosity's sake?
I know the forums have been pretty dead lately.

Other than that, I guess we could look at game ratings. Fair warning, I'll be playing Devil's Advocate a little here...
Also, I found a little bit more data on Liberation and Bloodlines.

With just a quick search, I see these ratings:

Gizmodo
Liberation- 65.20/100
Bloodlines 63.63/100

Game Rankings
Discovery- 73.23/100

Metacrtic
Liberation- 65/100
Bloodlines- 63/100
Chronicles China- 67.67/100
Chronicles India- 63.5/100
Chronicles Russia- 61/100
Discovery- 69/100

IGN
Liberation- 7.2/10
Bloodlines- 6.9./10

Gamespot
Liberation- 6.5/10
Bloodlines- 5.5/10.

So, clearly Discovery gets rated slightly higher than Bloodlines and Liberation rather consistently, at least given this data set. Chronicles China was pretty well received, but it became clear that the idea ran thin pretty fast after a while. That being said, these are aggregate and review scores (yeah, I mixed them in together, sue me :p). I don't think these necessarily reflect the average fan's opinion, but I think that they at least imply that Chronicles and Discovery were better received in at least some fashion than I had anticipated.

Farlander1991
08-02-2016, 02:57 PM
That's fair. Look, I don't want to exacerbate anything, and I see no need for any of us to make this personal. However, do any of you see any value in making a poll for this, simply for curiosity's sake?

Well, nobody is making it personal (and I'm sorry if I look like I'm making it personal), but a poll here would show the general opinion of the specific circle on the forum and not opinion of the fans in general. For example, if you make here a poll about how important MD is, I'm pretty sure you'd get overwhelmingly positive votes about its importance. Which wouldn't be the case in a global poll where MD would have to struggle to keep first place. But it might be interesting to see what the consensus is at least around here.

Metacrtic
Liberation - 70/100
Liberation HD - 62-66/100
Bloodlines - 63/100
Chronicles China - 67-69/100
Chronicles India - 63-64/100
Chronicles Russia - 53-62/100
Chronicles Trilogy (VITA) - 70
Discovery- 69-75/100

Updated the metacritic values to include aggregate ranges between different platforms and versions.

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Well, nobody is making it personal (and I'm sorry if I look like I'm making it personal), but a poll here would show the general opinion of the specific circle on the forum and not opinion of the fans in general. For example, if you make here a poll about how important MD is, I'm pretty sure you'd get overwhelmingly positive votes about its importance. Which wouldn't be the case in a global poll where MD would have to struggle to keep first place. But it might be interesting to see what the consensus is at least around here.

No worries! I'm certainly not (I enjoy debate) but I'm aware that sometimes people get a little heated.

Yeah, I mean, regardless of how it's conducted, we're going to have to deal with some form of bias of flaw in the polled groups. No study conducted has ever been perfect. Just tossing ideas around.

Updated the metacritic values to include aggregate ranges between different platforms and versions.
Sweet, thanks! Yeah, wasn't really sure how to list those.

Farlander1991
08-02-2016, 03:37 PM
While we're at it, Metacritic for some other spinoffs:

Altair's Chronicles - 58/100
Recollection - 75/100
Pirates - 67/100
Memories - 48/100
Identity - 69/100.

So the most well-received AC spin-off based on metacritic is a card game :D Alongside AC2:Discovery which also tops at 75 on iOS.

cawatrooper9
08-02-2016, 04:06 PM
While we're at it, Metacritic for some other spinoffs:

Altair's Chronicles - 58/100
Recollection - 75/100
Pirates - 67/100
Memories - 48/100
Identity - 69/100.

So the most well-received AC spin-off based on metacritic is a card game :D Alongside AC2:Discovery which also tops at 75 on iOS.

Haha, interesting!
I'm sure that the average gamer these days is a mobile-focused user, so I guess that actually makes sense.

Still, though- it would be a damn shame if Ubisoft went the way of Pachinko Konami.

Sesheenku
08-03-2016, 03:47 AM
From every fiber of my being, ew.

Mr.Black24
08-03-2016, 03:55 AM
I can say the same too for the opposite. And yes, we really don't know the true numbers.

I did read it, my point was that you have to d some real stretching to justify calling Rogue a 'spinoff', and even now you're stretching what Ubi once said about it being a companion game. That was during the Rogue marketing time when Ubi tried to show how Rogue is just as important as Unity, that it's NOT a spin-off but a full-fledged main game on old-gen consoles. So the end of 2014 didn't see a release of one main game and one spin-off title, it was two main games - one on next gen consoles and one on old-gen consoles.
I figured that the reason why they called it a spinoff is because its not a traditional Assassin's Creed game, we are playing as the Templars, both Modern and Colonial period.

There is no transition that you speak of. Shay with his line just said that the Templars will tip their power back. The whole 'even if it results in the destruction of innocent lives' is just something that you attribute to it, but not what was mentioned. And while we're at it, Shay didn't even mention the French Revolution. Why would he anyway, it's 13 years between Charles' death and the French Revolution. Basically he replied 'we will redo our work' to Charles' 'your work has been undone'.
Exactly, Exactly, EXACTLY

Why would Shay, who all this time in Rogue, who fought against the Assassins, in order to make amends and to protect the innocent from their reckless actions, all of a sudden is ok with what the Templars would do in Paris, seeing how all of this occurs in Unity?

Yes, why would Shay mention a revolution that is 13 years away? Apparently Elise said that Germain was cast out when she was a little girl....which whom we see in the ending of Rogue and beginning of Unity as said little girl. Shay had said so himself "Then perhaps we should start a revolution of our own" Years later, radical French Templar, Germain, ignited the French Revolution. It points to the center way too much for my liking. This was brought up in the interview with Shay's voice actor in Loomer's podcast, and there wasn't much of an explanation to it at all, both him and Loomer were confused and frustrated by it, which I agreed with as well.

Its the sudden shift in goals and view that bothered me so, with no explanation at all for it.

But if we look at the story of Rogue, in a very short description:
1. Shay begins as an Assassin doubting in their actions.
2. Shay and the Assassins find a MacGuffin and send Shay to use them which results in something horrible.
3. Shay wants to make amends and stop the Assassins from doing that again, joining Templars on the way believing that their way is better.
4. Shay stops the Assassins and retrieves all the MacGuffins.
There. Story arc resolved.

I would have been fine with this...if it weren't for that line he delivered.

Well, I've meant that we don't play as Ezio and Edward and don't tell additional stories with them. Meeting them is another matter entirely, there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I don't know if Identity does it, but it would be really cool that, if we do meet Ezio at the beginning, that we do so while fighting Borgia guards in Rome. He saves us and recruits us. So we're essentially taking a role of one of the recruits that Ezio gets during Brotherhood and then sends on different missions. Now this I can be down with! Seeing how other Assassins operated under our titular heroes does have a nice appeal.

Farlander1991
08-03-2016, 05:04 AM
I figured that the reason why they called it a spinoff is because its not a traditional Assassin's Creed game, we are playing as the Templars, both Modern and Colonial period.

Who 'they'? If you mean Ubisoft, then in the quote to which you replied I precisely stated that Ubi did not call it a spinoff and tried to make sure players did not consider it one. If you mean the players, well, it's their problems they call it a spinoff :p

EDIT: Also, it's listed as one of the main games on AC Wikia, not a spinoff :p

Exactly, Exactly, EXACTLY

No, not exactly. As I said, people attribute too much to that line.

Imagine you're Shay. Your enemy tells you how an Assassin's Revolution undid all your work. What would you say? I'm pretty sure you'd use the word 'Revolution' in your retort :p

That said, AC has a tendency to intrigue fans with quotes and things that aren't supposed to have a deep mystery or meaning behind it and later turn that into some convoluted plot point. One example being the moment when Ezio gives Shao Jun the box. A symbolic gesture now has a whole precursor plot built around it. And Shay's line is another perfect target for this kind of thing.

Mr.Black24
08-03-2016, 04:41 PM
No, not exactly. As I said, people attribute too much to that line.

Imagine you're Shay. Your enemy tells you how an Assassin's Revolution undid all your work. What would you say? I'm pretty sure you'd use the word 'Revolution' in your retort :p

If my cohorts were going to plan one, which they did, then yeah.....

That said, AC has a tendency to intrigue fans with quotes and things that aren't supposed to have a deep mystery or meaning behind it and later turn that into some convoluted plot point. One example being the moment when Ezio gives Shao Jun the box. A symbolic gesture now has a whole precursor plot built around it. And Shay's line is another perfect target for this kind of thing.
For once, I hope this is not the case. Everything good always have to be recon into something...not good. *sits in corner out of grief*

ze_topazio
08-03-2016, 07:01 PM
https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13667934_840324132735164_2230123057235740391_o.jpg

https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13686694_840324252735152_6495826347456517960_n.jpg ?oh=4a0e559702d2f787d4029be191b4f9be&oe=582C14EB

https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13912431_840324199401824_3338574625125719700_n.jpg ?oh=ff86344be56b61b9a66d9f8b30df6cca&oe=58266384

And I'm not going to open a new thread for this so I'll leave it here.

https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13892124_839699772797600_7181531734926326377_n.png ?oh=04daa156f9a598d2384623362966a28e&oe=5820D058

https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13903255_839732426127668_4550714066284249663_n.jpg ?oh=29279c22ffca2b14a2e445ab253bbaa4&oe=58104AC9

ERICATHERINE
08-03-2016, 07:12 PM
https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13667934_840324132735164_2230123057235740391_o.jpg

Was hair coloring (like the blue hair of the girl of this picture) actually existing in that time?

If not, I don't think it's a good idea to do that, since it's supposed to be realistic, instead of cartoonish. :-/

cawatrooper9
08-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Was hair coloring (like the blue hair of the girl of this picture) actually existing in that time?

If not, I don't think it's a good idea to do that, since it's supposed to be realistic, instead of cartoonish. :-/

It's a little strange, but given the graphics I think they're just fine with portraying their characters as cartoonish- which is totally fine, I suppose, it's just a stylistic choice.

Farlander1991
08-04-2016, 08:05 AM

Well, we've seen from gameplay footage that characters are pretty realistic there, but as this is a game targeted at Chinese and Asian market primarily it makes sense for the promo art to feature things that are very specific to Asian culture, like blue hair on drawn characters.