PDA

View Full Version : AC Series Stealth Tutorial & Rundown - Are you interested?

Fatal-Feit
07-27-2016, 12:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/1MbKJBK.png

Stealth have always been one of the least appreciated parts of the series and I think it's fair to say a huge portions of the fans--even the hardcore ones--don't even bother, and that's kind of depressing. There are many complaints about the detection systems being broken or mechanics being useless, but in most cases it's just a lack of good tutorials properly explaining them. Since I've been uploading stealth videos of Unity (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2pE8uKI4mqwjZ38OKGOyrA/videos) the past week, I've been thinking about starting a comprehensive tutorial series on YouTube to teach the community how to stealth like a pro, starting from AC1 to Syndicate. The franchise have been a continuous evolution, changing rules and introducing new mechanic a lot, e.g, Revelations' bombs, Black Flag's naval stealth and Unity's dedicated stealth mode, but the games don't always do a good job of explaining them in-depth and unfortunately, there isn't much tutorial videos at all.

I'm not in any way a flawless master at it, but after some practice and studying of each game, avoiding detection is fairly easy, and in some ways stealth is even better than getting into combat. So with this project, I hope to see more people in the community become better at it, or at the very least, learn a thing or two--especially dedicated Youtubers outside of TheHiddenBlade.com.

But that's just what I want. What do you guys think? Is it necessary? Would you even watch them? Be honest, this is something up to you guys.

It's also an incredible amount of work, so I ask for your support and volunteering for this project if we want it to happen, just like with ACCP. I'll be doing most of the work, such as putting together the information, recording the game, commentary, and basically assembling the video together, but there are room for help. This one is optional, but we could use a graphic designer/s for thumbnails, channel header, etc; I promise to not interfere, but otherwise, I can do it myself. It would be a bonus if people shared some tips and tricks they've learned by experimenting with the games; there is always something to learn from other fans. Discussions on formatting the tutorials, a name for the series, an appropriate length, general feedback and criticisms, etc. Aaaaand just basic support such as liking and sharing the content we produce for more exposure.

Again, this is something that's up to you guys. AC has a whole year break, so we have plenty of time to do this. If you want it, please show your support. If you think differently, share your opinion as well.

MikeFNY
07-27-2016, 06:30 AM
If it could be of any help you can use my videos as you wish my friend:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyFldX-JLX-y4MsHzOOGHg

They are stealth videos, completing Unity Heist missions without getting detected and with some minor self-imposed rules such as cannot use smoke bombs, cannot use berserk blades, etc.

Master Tarvos
07-27-2016, 01:31 PM
I am very interested in seeing more information about stealth. I am truly interested in what part it plays in equipment selection as well as styles and techniques.

I am new to the series, having just started playing with Unity on Xbox One but I really gotten into it.

Thanks for giving the idea a shot.

SixKeys
07-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Short informational videos about changes to stealth from title to title would probably be better than lengthy tutorials or demos. I've always been a stealth player, so personally I don't think a tutorial could teach me anything I didn't already know. Of course I'm in no way trying to discourage you, other people might benefit greatly from tutorials. Just saying that if you think it's too much work (there are more than 12 games, after all, including Chronicles and Liberation if you want to be thorough), it might be less cumbersome if you simply focused on comparing the stealth rules and changes in all the games, and offered tips for how to approach stealth in this particular game compared to its predecessor. Maybe offer some commentary on how good or balanced the stealth is in each title by looking at things like how rewarding stealth is compared to combat (Unity is a great example with its heist missions), how many missions are designed around stealth, the abundance of stealth weapons etc.

I'm no good at video editing, but I may be able to help with graphics/headers, possibly some other stuff too depending on what you need. Just let me know. :)

LucidReveries
07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
I would be interested in watching them. I'm not too bad at stealth but i always like seeing what others do when they play

ERICATHERINE
07-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Since I will start ac unity, soon enough, I can help with the coop missions, if you want. If you want those video to be made in a group, just send me a psn friend request. I can also do them solo, if needed. I could use some tips too by watching those video. I generally can do any coop mission alone, even with Arno being at low level. I also have a mic. My psn name is ERICATHERINE. ^-^

Ureh
07-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Give it a try. I'll also support your series as well.

I would imagine that the majority of the viewers' reactions will be, "I didn't know you can do that!?" Or, "This is very helpful!"

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2016, 12:27 AM
If it could be of any help you can use my videos as you wish my friend:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyFldX-JLX-y4MsHzOOGHg

They are stealth videos, completing Unity Heist missions without getting detected and with some minor self-imposed rules such as cannot use smoke bombs, cannot use berserk blades, etc.

Thanks, those are great videos. I love watching people do challenges like that. :)

Short informational videos about changes to stealth from title to title would probably be better than lengthy tutorials or demos. I've always been a stealth player, so personally I don't think a tutorial could teach me anything I didn't already know. Of course I'm in no way trying to discourage you, other people might benefit greatly from tutorials. Just saying that if you think it's too much work (there are more than 12 games, after all, including Chronicles and Liberation if you want to be thorough), it might be less cumbersome if you simply focused on comparing the stealth rules and changes in all the games, and offered tips for how to approach stealth in this particular game compared to its predecessor.

Short and straight to the point is definitely what I'm aiming for. I don't plan on going over what most people should already know, like what the mechanics are and how they work, but rather how to use them more efficiently, including properly explaining mechanics that may frustrate players, like the detection systems and how to overcome them, so no worries. For example, I'll describe how Berserk Dart/Blade/Hallucinogenic Darts could be used to stun an opponent to give you enough time to run up and assassinate them and how aiming from a cover in Unity will get you detected by enemies looking your direction at a visible distance, but they won't detect you in Syndicate.

Maybe offer some commentary on how good or balanced the stealth is in each title by looking at things like how rewarding stealth is compared to combat (Unity is a great example with its heist missions), how many missions are designed around stealth, the abundance of stealth weapons etc.

I love this. I'll probably hit up Farlander for the stealth analysis.

I'm not sure if I want to do the spin-off titles like Chronicles since I haven't played them past the beginning of China... Maybe if people really want it. I think I'll do Liberation since it works almost exactly like AC3.

I'm no good at video editing, but I may be able to help with graphics/headers, possibly some other stuff too depending on what you need. Just let me know. :)

Awesome. Will do! Also, if you don't mind, I might PM/DM you more often since you're very knowledgeable about the games. Actually, if you are okay with it, I might make a new dedicated group chat so you and other experts can discuss and compile your info for the games. Although, the forum is fine if that makes it easier for you.

Since I will start ac unity, soon enough, I can help with the coop missions, if you want. If you want those video to be made in a group, just send me a psn friend request. I can also do them solo, if needed. I could use some tips too by watching those video. I generally can do any coop mission alone, even with Arno being at low level. I also have a mic. My psn name is ERICATHERINE. ^-^

Cool, I appreciate it! I might hit you up for the CO-OP segment of the Unity video since you have a mic.

--

I'm glad you guys are digging it so far. I've got some great support on Twitter as well, including volunteering from the community at THB.

So far it's all just an idea, so if you'd like to throw some suggestions for things like a name for the series or video length, go right ahead. I may start a poll.

SixKeys
07-28-2016, 02:41 AM
I love this. I'll probably hit up Farlander for the stealth analysis.

I'm not sure if I want to do the spin-off titles like Chronicles since I haven't played them past the beginning of China... Maybe if people really want it. I think I'll do Liberation since it works almost exactly like AC3.

It's your series, of course, but I think the Chronicles games are definitely worth looking at considering they actually have better stealth than the main games. Combat is so clunky on purpose to encourage stealth, guards remain in alerted state after spotting you instead of just going back to whatever they were doing, you cannot assassinate them from a hiding spot once they have a suspicion of your whereabouts, there are things like guard dogs and alarm birds and creaky floor boards that will create noise unless you crouch. The main games don't even have noise detection as such - I think AC1 and Syndicate are the only ones that do. Unity supposedly does since some customization pieces are meant to reduce noise, but honestly I don't remember guards ever actually reacting to noise. In Chronicles there is a possibility for a pacifist run (excluding main targets), something that's actually impossible in all the main games. There are things like Helix Blend which, frankly, is as much of a nonsensical cheat as Evie's invisibility, but a stealth tool nonetheless. In a series about stealth the Chronicles games offer a lot more material for commentary than the main games.

Awesome. Will do! Also, if you don't mind, I might PM/DM you more often since you're very knowledgeable about the games. Actually, if you are okay with it, I might make a new dedicated group chat so you and other experts can discuss and compile your info for the games. Although, the forum is fine if that makes it easier for you.

On Twitter, you mean? That's fine. Forum works too.

So far it's all just an idea, so if you'd like to throw some suggestions for things like a name for the series or video length, go right ahead. I may start a poll.

Damn Ubi for already having their own vlog called The Blend. :p I think video length and title for the series will be determined once you've figured out the format. Do you want to dedicate one video per each game or do you think it'd be better to group the ones with the most similarities and use the video to compare them? I.e. instead of doing separate entries on AC2, ACB and ACR which are all pretty similar, you would lump them all together and compare how the Ezio trilogy was different from AC1 or the later games. And group AC3 and Liberation together since they're also fairly similar. Liberation does offer the disguise/persona angle which would be interesting as it hasn't been done since. Then again, you could also compare the disguise system in Liberation vs. the one in Unity. That would mean focusing the video on a particular stealth skill or tool rather than looking at the games in chronological order. See what I mean? There are many different approaches you could take.

Also, what about multiplayer? PvP multiplayer was a fantastic application of social stealth in the series, much mroe robust than it ever was in single-player. In fact, all the most interesting titles stealth-wise seem to lie outside the vanilla single-player experience. Liberation's persona system, Chronicles' pacifist approach, multiplayer's brilliant concept of fooling other players to think you're an NPC by modifying your behavior, etc. If it were up to me, I would be focusing on those and comparing what they did right that the main games are still missing.

Edit: If you did want to talk about multiplayer, I would be happy to help with that since I used to be obsessed with it. :p I have some footage you can use if you were so inclined and I have a thorough knowledge of all the skills and systems, including how they were tweaked from title to title. I also think MP had some details that would be great if they could be utilized in single-player, like how a real player would know to be alarmed if a flock of birds suddenly flew up from a rooftop or if you saw a human-shaped shadow looming down over you. Things that would offer real challenge if the game's AI were smart enough to pay attention to little things like that.

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2016, 04:11 AM
It's your series, of course, but I think the Chronicles games are definitely worth looking at considering they actually have better stealth than the main games. Combat is so clunky on purpose to encourage stealth, guards remain in alerted state after spotting you instead of just going back to whatever they were doing, you cannot assassinate them from a hiding spot once they have a suspicion of your whereabouts, there are things like guard dogs and alarm birds and creaky floor boards that will create noise unless you crouch. The main games don't even have noise detection as such - I think AC1 and Syndicate are the only ones that do. Unity supposedly does since some customization pieces are meant to reduce noise, but honestly I don't remember guards ever actually reacting to noise. In Chronicles there is a possibility for a pacifist run (excluding main targets), something that's actually impossible in all the main games. There are things like Helix Blend which, frankly, is as much of a nonsensical cheat as Evie's invisibility, but a stealth tool nonetheless. In a series about stealth the Chronicles games offer a lot more material for commentary than the main games.

Thanks for the comparison. China is in my list of games to play since I already own it because of Unity's Season Pass, but I don't have any plans for India or Russia since I hear the level designs are very VERY restrictive.

On Twitter, you mean? That's fine. Forum works too.

I was thinking Skype or Discord, but Twitter could work. We'll see. Whichever allows you to respond quicker. :p

Damn Ubi for already having their own vlog called The Blend. :p I think video length and title for the series will be determined once you've figured out the format. Do you want to dedicate one video per each game or do you think it'd be better to group the ones with the most similarities and use the video to compare them? I.e. instead of doing separate entries on AC2, ACB and ACR which are all pretty similar, you would lump them all together and compare how the Ezio trilogy was different from AC1 or the later games. And group AC3 and Liberation together since they're also fairly similar. Liberation does offer the disguise/persona angle which would be interesting as it hasn't been done since. Then again, you could also compare the disguise system in Liberation vs. the one in Unity. That would mean focusing the video on a particular stealth skill or tool rather than looking at the games in chronological order. See what I mean? There are many different approaches you could take.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1 video per main game + Liberation. The idea is to have a video for each game that people can look to and reflect on when they play a specific game in the series, that should hopefully give them enough knowledge to know how to stealth professionally without needing to practice and experiment themselves. Stealth is really all about trial and error, so basically I hope to make a series that allows stealth to become more accessible for new players or generally people without the patience. I also hope it'll teach the veterans maybe a thing or two they didn't know before. So, take Master Tarvos (possible .hack fan?) for example. Presumably, he's never played any AC games prior to Unity, so the plan is that after he watches an episode on ACIV, for example, he should be able to be pretty good at its stealth before ever playing it; performing moves like high-profile ledge kills and Berserk Dart stun right from the get-go.

Approximately 10-15 mins, at the most. 5-7 mins would be the sweet spot, I think. A series that can be binged, is what I'm striking for.

Because I want to make each episode as short as possible and stick to the point, I think sequels with a lot of reused assets like Revelations, Rogue, and Liberation can still have an episode of their own since they have enough new additions and subtle changes that can be brought up. We can think of these as an addition to a previous episode. Let's say for example, the Rogue video comes after Black Flag. Since it reuses Black Flag's assets and gameplay, I'll put a disclaimer and something to direct people to watch the Black Flag video first and focus solely on the new things in Rogue.

As for how the videos themselves will be formatted... That's still up for suggestions. I want it to be professional and have headers, cuts, and everything. Something like, hm... something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVp8iURBOc) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yXxCGPKbpg)combined. I have the tools on PC to record the games with those camera angles and stuff, but I don't want to risk being put on Ubisoft's blacklist for modding so I think a mix of normal gameplay examples & less robotic commentary with Ubisoft's type of style should work. There's probably a MUCH better video to explain my idea out there, but I can't find any right now.

Also, what about multiplayer? PvP multiplayer was a fantastic application of social stealth in the series, much mroe robust than it ever was in single-player. In fact, all the most interesting titles stealth-wise seem to lie outside the vanilla single-player experience. Liberation's persona system, Chronicles' pacifist approach, multiplayer's brilliant concept of fooling other players to think you're an NPC by modifying your behavior, etc. If it were up to me, I would be focusing on those and comparing what they did right that the main games are still missing.

Edit: If you did want to talk about multiplayer, I would be happy to help with that since I used to be obsessed with it. :p I have some footage you can use if you were so inclined and I have a thorough knowledge of all the skills and systems, including how they were tweaked from title to title. I also think MP had some details that would be great if they could be utilized in single-player, like how a real player would know to be alarmed if a flock of birds suddenly flew up from a rooftop or if you saw a human-shaped shadow looming down over you. Things that would offer real challenge if the game's AI were smart enough to pay attention to little things like that.

I didn't think about MP, good idea. Maybe they can be a separate series of their own. Perhaps you can do the commentary on them since they're ur thang. I think once we nail down our vision for the main games, we can discuss how MP can fit in after.

cawatrooper9
07-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Would be cool.

Also, wouldn't mind seeing speedrun types of things from certain stealth missions that give people trouble, like the Da Vinci machine ones.

TO_M
07-28-2016, 10:30 PM
I always really enjoy watching stealth runs for missions/assassinations in AC, so a channel that could encourage/teach more people on how to play stealthy seems like a good idea to me.

Maybe you could combine it with challenge runs for certain missions? I remember a while back there was a thread about if anyone was capable of killing La Touche undetected and it was great fun trying to do that and watching other people's attempts/entries on that certain mission.

SixKeys
07-29-2016, 12:56 AM
Approximately 10-15 mins, at the most. 5-7 mins would be the sweet spot, I think. A series that can be binged, is what I'm striking for.

Because I want to make each episode as short as possible and stick to the point, I think sequels with a lot of reused assets like Revelations, Rogue, and Liberation can still have an episode of their own since they have enough new additions and subtle changes that can be brought up. We can think of these as an addition to a previous episode. Let's say for example, the Rogue video comes after Black Flag. Since it reuses Black Flag's assets and gameplay, I'll put a disclaimer and something to direct people to watch the Black Flag video first and focus solely on the new things in Rogue.

As for how the videos themselves will be formatted... That's still up for suggestions. I want it to be professional and have headers, cuts, and everything. Something like, hm... something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVp8iURBOc) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yXxCGPKbpg)combined. I have the tools on PC to record the games with those camera angles and stuff, but I don't want to risk being put on Ubisoft's blacklist for modding so I think a mix of normal gameplay examples & less robotic commentary with Ubisoft's type of style should work. There's probably a MUCH better video to explain my idea out there, but I can't find any right now.

Sounds good. 5-10 mins is definitely the way to go IMO. Regarding editing, I doubt you would be put on any sort of blacklist for using tools that have been used by fan videos promoted by official Ubisoft channels (like "Beautiful Lies"). It's not like you're teaching others how to mod their games.

I didn't think about MP, good idea. Maybe they can be a separate series of their own. Perhaps you can do the commentary on them since they're ur thang. I think once we nail down our vision for the main games, we can discuss how MP can fit in after.

I would be happy to do the commentary. :) Hit me up on the forums or Twitter if you wanna talk about the project. I don't use Discord and I haven't turned on Skype in about a year, lol. I can always make an exception if you want to schedule something.

ERICATHERINE
07-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Cool, I appreciate it! I might hit you up for the CO-OP segment of the Unity video since you have a mic.

Ok. Just tell me here, when you'll need me, instead of directly sending me a psn friend request. Most of the time, my ps4 don't tell me when I receive a friend request. Also, I won't have internet for a couple of days. The lack of internet doesn't bother me though. I use this time to advance in ac rogue. Also, if I still don't have internet when I will have too play unity for my ac serie, I'll use this time to upgrade Arno, as much as I can.

Will you also do dlc missions? There is a coop and a thief mission in dead kings. ^-^

I'm glad you guys are digging it so far. I've got some great support on Twitter as well, including volunteering from the community at THB.

For the name suggestion I'd say «the silent ghost brotherhood». ^-^

Just to be sure, is this project abandoned or not? I'm asking because I want to be sure to be ready when/if the video on unity coop are made. ^-^

Fatal-Feit
08-10-2016, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry for not saying anything recently. I'm currently very upset with Ubisoft over a Star Player problem and I've decided I won't be doing anything Ubisoft related for a while (beside For Honor). I realize that's childish, but I just can't see AC or discuss it without feeling incredibly upset. :(I don't know when I'll get over it... so I apologize to everyone who was excited for this project. I'm just not mentally prepared, atm. If anyone would like to take up the project, feel free to.[EDIT] Rewording.