PDA

View Full Version : For Honor Looks good but not sold yet

xDarkMACx
07-26-2016, 03:53 AM
I like action/adventure games and For Honor looks good. However, based on the history of Ubisoft, I will remain cautious about it. As of late, the majority of games from any Ubisoft studio is released with hype but seems that games don't meet expectations. Gameplay looks good and graphics the same but its all on video which is very easy to edit as well as photographs. Graphics seem to get downgraded between the reveal trailer and release. Something could happen on the business side from reveal trailer and game release but I'm not a developer so I don't know. I hate to put each development studio in the same box but these are the makers of Watch Dogs, Far Cry franchise, Assassins Creed franchise, and some Tom Clancy games but it is still part of Ubisoft and I'm guessing the publisher has some input on the final game release. I definitely won't preorder the game based on what I know at this time. I might buy it but not sure right now.

One thing that really hurt my opinion of buying games from Ubisoft was The Division. Before the Division, I had no problem with Ubisoft. Now having Ubisoft in the developmenr or publisher title concerns me about game balance, especially since the recent news of loot being involved ( at least recent to me). I understand the games are developed by 2 different studios and have different core gameplay mechanics.

What does the rest of the community think about For Honor?

MisterWillow
07-26-2016, 04:59 AM
Personally, I'm ecstatic. :D

I actually stopped buying Ubisoft games after AC4 (except their indies---Grow Home and Valiant Hearts were fantastic) because they seemed to have fallen into a rut, where every game was open world, every game had towers you had to climb to reveal different part of the map, every game had a billion little collectibles and 'side-missions' that became tedious after a while.

The Division I didn't get because it reminded me too much of Destiny, and I was really put off on that shortly after launch.

For Honor appeals to me because it's something different. I've also been waiting years for a good multiplayer melee game that attempts to capture the mechanics of a real sword fight in the way For Honor does. The theme appeals to me---we never seem to have enough medieval games, or at least ones with Vikings. The multiplayer looks like a mixture of a fighting game (with player duels), Dynasty Warriors (killing minions) and a shooter (capture points), which is an interesting combination.

All and all, it's my most anticipated game two years running.

Quikkfeet
07-26-2016, 06:45 AM
Personally, I'm ecstatic. :D

I actually stopped buying Ubisoft games after AC4 (except their indies---Grow Home and Valiant Hearts were fantastic) because they seemed to have fallen into a rut, where every game was open world, every game had towers you had to climb to reveal different part of the map, every game had a billion little collectibles and 'side-missions' that became tedious after a while.

The Division I didn't get because it reminded me too much of Destiny, and I was really put off on that shortly after launch.

For Honor appeals to me because it's something different. I've also been waiting years for a good multiplayer melee game that attempts to capture the mechanics of a real sword fight in the way For Honor does. The theme appeals to me---we never seem to have enough medieval games, or at least ones with Vikings. The multiplayer looks like a mixture of a fighting game (with player duels), Dynasty Warriors (killing minions) and a shooter (capture points), which is an interesting combination.

All and all, it's my most anticipated game two years running.

I hit the like button on this post :D I haven't wanted a game this bad in awhile. Can't wait!

yote224
07-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Cautiously Optimistic is how I'd sum up my feelings for the game.

It's one of those "too good to be true" situations for myself. I dig what I've seen, I'm hyped, I find myself daily looking for new information or chatting with a different forum community to some extent. I've posted videos to friend's in group text, shown internet friends videos on games we play together, pretty much a one man street crew sort of deal. There's been news that has excited me as well as news that has disappointed me and in reality we have 202 more days until release so I'm sure there will be plenty more news to come that will be both good and bad.

I'd say I'm not 100% sold on the game either and in my personal opinion I think it would be a tad outlandish to have already preordered with the better half of a year to go and not the complete details of Normal, Gold, and Deluxe editions revealed yet. I see a lot of potential in this game and it really could bring a lot of new players to the genre with such renown following Ubisoft which in its own right is awesome. Or it could fall just short enough of expectations to disappoint; but even that wouldn't be the worst as there could be patches or even (dare I say it) a sequel that improves upon the structure. Time will tell, and we've got plenty of time.

handheld brando
07-27-2016, 02:26 AM
I like action/adventure games and For Honor looks good. However, based on the history of Ubisoft, I will remain cautious about it. As of late, the majority of games from any Ubisoft studio is released with hype but seems that games don't meet expectations. Gameplay looks good and graphics the same but its all on video which is very easy to edit as well as photographs. Graphics seem to get downgraded between the reveal trailer and release. Something could happen on the business side from reveal trailer and game release but I'm not a developer so I don't know. I hate to put each development studio in the same box but these are the makers of Watch Dogs, Far Cry franchise, Assassins Creed franchise, and some Tom Clancy games but it is still part of Ubisoft and I'm guessing the publisher has some input on the final game release. I definitely won't preorder the game based on what I know at this time. I might buy it but not sure right now.

One thing that really hurt my opinion of buying games from Ubisoft was The Division. Before the Division, I had no problem with Ubisoft. Now having Ubisoft in the developmenr or publisher title concerns me about game balance, especially since the recent news of loot being involved ( at least recent to me). I understand the games are developed by 2 different studios and have different core gameplay mechanics.

What does the rest of the community think about For Honor?

I have had personal hands on time during the Alpha and at E3 and the game looks every bit as good as it does in the videos.

One thing i can say and this is being both an Ubisoft fan for life and a gamer for over 22 years. Always and i mean always do your research on a game before buying it. I am getting For Honor pretty much day of release as are my fellow Ubisoft Star players. Ubisoft showed me and the other star players at E3 that they do have real passion for their games and all of the For Honor devs i met and the mods i talked too (Still wish i met Fredexe!) were probably far more excited for their game than anyone realizes. When you see that kind of passion up close and personal its really REALLY hard not to be excited too.

As for the Graphics downgrade argument i would like to point out that Ubisoft has consistently pushed the graphical bar in quite a few of their games. The Assassins Creed series for example always looks incredibly amazing and at the time of each of the Assassins Creed games release there were no other games that looked anywhere close to as good as they looked at the time. I bought Watch Dogs and the Division and most of the Assassins Creed games and despite them having hiccups with performance the games were always fun for me to play regardless.

I get it though graphics is a big deal for some people but if you look past that in alot of your games you will find your games to be far far more enjoyable. Hell i still love the hell out of Child of Light.

My point is though as a gamer be super SUPER excited for For Honor because its definitely worth it but also be smart with your purchasing decisions and always make sure you do your research and read up on plenty of reviews and base your purchasing decision on how much you want it vs what the reviews are saying. If a review says a game is good but you aren't too sure you want it then wait till later on and if a game gets not so great reviews but you really like the game then get it.

SearingShrapnel
08-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Coming from the first alpha I can say it's a hell of a fun game, the combat system is incredibly competitive and really feels like you're out smarting your opponent, it's fast paced, impactful, and rewarding especially with the finishers (which I really hope to see more animations for) there are a number of tactics like parrying, evading, guard breaking, grabbing, a good combo system where you can string lights and heavy's while changing your swing direction not to mention cancelling. That being said I hope the single player and multiplayer has a lot more to it to keep me playing. Also 2v1ing and 3v1ing was a noticeable problem for a lot of people and the new revenge meter was added to remedy that I believe, so I am excited to try it on all you unhonorable fighters :P

Snufkin_
08-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Coming from the first alpha I can say it's a hell of a fun game, the combat system is incredibly competitive and really feels like you're out smarting your opponent, it's fast paced, impactful, and rewarding especially with the finishers (which I really hope to see more animations for) there are a number of tactics like parrying, evading, guard breaking, grabbing, a good combo system where you can string lights and heavy's while changing your swing direction not to mention cancelling. That being said I hope the single player and multiplayer has a lot more to it to keep me playing. Also 2v1ing and 3v1ing was a noticeable problem for a lot of people and the new revenge meter was added to remedy that I believe, so I am excited to try it on all you unhonorable fighters :P

I can't agree more! I played this game back in the alpha test in 2015 and I had a blast even though wardens was the only choice of class!

V4nClief
08-03-2016, 03:55 PM
I'm personally very excited for this game. From what I have seen with the game play, graphics, and the other information that has been released it is shaping up to be all that we wanted in a multiplayer melee combat game. Plus the story line looks pretty epic for the solo players. You have to also account the devs have been working on this for quite sometime with strategic planning and constant testing. This was not a game just thrown together to get something on the shelf in hopes they can make some money off of it. Every critique and feedback the devs have embraced and have acknowledged regarding this title. They are and have been working tirelessly on this game and I have high expectations for the title and know once we can get ours hands on it when it hits the shelves we will be more than appeased by their great efforts.

Cannonballninja
08-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Before the first technical test, I had many of the same reservations. Getting my hands on the game, however, mollified most of my fears. For Honour, even in its current state, feels like a remarkably polished product. Following the publicly available videos and such also gives me confidence that the balance team knows what they're doing.

Overall, I'm optimistic about the game and looking forward to it! It's certainly looking like For Honour will be what we've been promised.