PDA

View Full Version : For the 109 faithful, the 109F4 vs. 1943 clipped wing Spit in QMB.

Jumoschwanz
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
With all the hoopla over the new planes(they are fun to try out), I thought it would be nice to get down to biusness and start to see how the 109s in the AEP are.

I have had a soft spot for the 109F4 in the il2 series since in the original Il2 it allowed me, with some practice, to finally and consistently hang in with and shoot down the then uber la5fn and yak3/9.

In the last two patches of FB the F4 has been eclipsed by the G2 as the favorite turner and burner in the axis planeset. This did not seem historically accurate to me, as I always read that the F model 109 was the true flier's plane, the straduvarius of the bunch.

So today I loaded up the F4 vs. the Spit in the QMB, one on one. I chose the 1943 clipped wing spit because I thought it might be the best of the bunch, who knows at this early date?

Settings were full real with padlock. And the AI was of course set to the highest level, "ACE".

We start out head to head of course. As the spit nears he climbs fast. I stay level and try for all the E I can get, the 109 does not seem as fast as it has in some older patches. The Spit comes down and I dodge his initial salvo, then I start to climb progressively steeper and steeper. The Spit has turned and is on my tail, but has lost E in his 180 degree turn, I hear him hit me and immediately turn and steepen my climb, I am now vertical. I am out of E. I hammerhead her over slowly and find the spit below out of E. I hit it on the way down to no apparent effect, I am on his tail, both gaining E again. The Spit starts to turn and I go with it and shoot, he tightens his turn. I know I cannot turn with the Spit and go straight and up, back to vertical. I am above the spit again. Same thing over, on his tail, fire, the Spit tightens the turn and I have to break off and go for altitude.
The F4 is flying much better than in the last patch, thank god because this Spit can turn really well.
The third time down on the Spit I finally see modest trail of black/grey smoke, this Spit can take some abuse, from a single 20mm cannon anyway. I am hoping they didn't take any of my cannons teeth out this patch because I need them all.
Fourth zoom down I get on the spits tail and hit him some more but he seems no worse off, I zoom back up. He has been hurt, the Spit glides to the ground below. Thank goodness. I know I have some souvenier holes somewhere on my backside.

So for now I know, of course, the Spit is something to watch out for. It is tough enough to shoot it down Ace AI, it will be a good thing to stay out of a dogfight with in the hands of the online experts.

Happily the 109F4 seems to handle better now in AEP than in 1.21 or 1.22.

And one more thing, the AI is better at dogfighting now for sure. They have a higher IQ now, so watch out!

I hope this has been informative and good news for the Spit and 109F fans. S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
With all the hoopla over the new planes(they are fun to try out), I thought it would be nice to get down to biusness and start to see how the 109s in the AEP are.

I have had a soft spot for the 109F4 in the il2 series since in the original Il2 it allowed me, with some practice, to finally and consistently hang in with and shoot down the then uber la5fn and yak3/9.

In the last two patches of FB the F4 has been eclipsed by the G2 as the favorite turner and burner in the axis planeset. This did not seem historically accurate to me, as I always read that the F model 109 was the true flier's plane, the straduvarius of the bunch.

So today I loaded up the F4 vs. the Spit in the QMB, one on one. I chose the 1943 clipped wing spit because I thought it might be the best of the bunch, who knows at this early date?

Settings were full real with padlock. And the AI was of course set to the highest level, "ACE".

We start out head to head of course. As the spit nears he climbs fast. I stay level and try for all the E I can get, the 109 does not seem as fast as it has in some older patches. The Spit comes down and I dodge his initial salvo, then I start to climb progressively steeper and steeper. The Spit has turned and is on my tail, but has lost E in his 180 degree turn, I hear him hit me and immediately turn and steepen my climb, I am now vertical. I am out of E. I hammerhead her over slowly and find the spit below out of E. I hit it on the way down to no apparent effect, I am on his tail, both gaining E again. The Spit starts to turn and I go with it and shoot, he tightens his turn. I know I cannot turn with the Spit and go straight and up, back to vertical. I am above the spit again. Same thing over, on his tail, fire, the Spit tightens the turn and I have to break off and go for altitude.
The F4 is flying much better than in the last patch, thank god because this Spit can turn really well.
The third time down on the Spit I finally see modest trail of black/grey smoke, this Spit can take some abuse, from a single 20mm cannon anyway. I am hoping they didn't take any of my cannons teeth out this patch because I need them all.
Fourth zoom down I get on the spits tail and hit him some more but he seems no worse off, I zoom back up. He has been hurt, the Spit glides to the ground below. Thank goodness. I know I have some souvenier holes somewhere on my backside.

So for now I know, of course, the Spit is something to watch out for. It is tough enough to shoot it down Ace AI, it will be a good thing to stay out of a dogfight with in the hands of the online experts.

Happily the 109F4 seems to handle better now in AEP than in 1.21 or 1.22.

And one more thing, the AI is better at dogfighting now for sure. They have a higher IQ now, so watch out!

I hope this has been informative and good news for the Spit and 109F fans. S!

Jumoschwanz

lbhskier37
03-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Sounds like standard procedure for taking out Yaks too. I'm glad to hear news about the F4, it is for now my main ride in forgotten skies, but I guess I will be getting my A4 pretty quick, so if you wanna do some combat using the A4 and let us know that would be cool.

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/pics/Killasig2.jpg (http://www.il2skins.com/?action=list&whereauthorid=lbhkilla&comefrom=display&ts=1049772896)
Official "uber190n00b"
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." Adolf Galland