PDA

View Full Version : Blog post: Assassin's Creed Revelations and the Importance of Cutting Features

Farlander1991
07-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone :)

So the next post of my AC series is up on my blog now (https://stanislavcostiuc.com/2016/07/22/assassins-creed-revelations-and-the-importance-of-cutting-features/), and soon to be up on Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/StanislavCostiuc/949097/).

It continues the topic of creating a unified cohesive experience, but this time it focuses on Revelations and how cutting features can improve that experience.

Hope you all enjoy it :)

cawatrooper9
07-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Nice article!

I definitely agree with you about shops. At no point in the game was I really motivated to "rebuild" Istanbul as I was Rome- because, as you point out, there really isn't anything to rebuild, so that sense of accomplishment is gone.

Rather, a typical shop buying experience would go like this-

"Hmm, I need to buy a weapon."

"Let's try a shop."

"Oh wait, I need to liberate this district first."

*Liberates district*

*Buys shop*

*Doesn't have enough money to buy weapon*

*Has to buy nearby bank to make withdrawl*

*Doesn't have enough money to buy bank*

*Has to pickpocket 45 people to get enough money*

*Buys bank, gets withdrawl, can finally buy weapon*

So yeah, it always came across as a chore (or list of chores) just to make the map functional.

SixKeys
07-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Good article as usual. Many of the things you pointed out were among the biggest reasons ACR fell short of expectations to me.

RobertMcSassin
07-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Been meaning to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed your article!...And the Brotherhood one too...Awesome stuff!...

As I'm currently on the Revelations section of my re-play-through-them-all thing, I can see exactly what you mean, really...There is much that doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense...But...Hey-ho...I do actually enjoy many parts of the story a lot (The young prince; getting to know Yusuf and Constantinople...Aaaaand if I ignore the 105-ish Assassins that Ezio recruits and trains for the taking over of the many European cities while really he was just stopping off...Oh, and the buying up of all the landmarks and stuff...As you - and other fondly remembered observers from AC1 - say...Why would he do that?...) but, sadly, it really is a head down and plough through to the end kinda experience this time, I think...

Yeeeeah...Should just mention that I've yet to start the mission where I get the first recruit...But I've conquered all the dens; collected most of the chests/fragments and have pretty much opened every shop...Hmmmm...I'm pretty sure that Brotherhood was far better in this regard...At least there was some barrier to progress...It's tempting to actually just piddle about doing the Mercenary/Thieves/Romani missions/challenges first so I can amass the money to unlock all the landmarks before even starting on the Assassin thing... :cool: ...

Shame...But I'd forgotten quite how much of a swerve from the first three the game felt, control-wise in the main, but some of the other stuff...after what is essentially the same, very simple and enjoyable playstyle for the first three games...No Amancio, it's triangle for Eagle VISION and Synchronise, thank you very much...Grrrr...

But anyways...Yeah...Excellent article...I shall look in again, on some of the other stuff, if you don't mind of course... ;) :o ...

Ubi-Banshee
07-25-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks for posting! Very well thought out and engaging - I'll add your comments on the economy into the community feedback :o