PDA

View Full Version : Did any of the characters we can control in the AC games (besides Jack the Ripper)...

ERICATHERINE
07-18-2016, 03:49 AM
...Actually existed. Also, did the Aquila, Jackdaw, Experto Crede and/or Morrigan actually existed. I'm just wondering. I know that it's fiction, but it's also historical.

Of course, I'm not asking if they all really were Assassins. From what I know is possible, only Altair could have been one. So, can anyone answer me? ^-^

Fatal-Feit
07-18-2016, 04:31 AM
Blackbeard was real. We controlled him in the MP DLC.

LoyalACFan
07-18-2016, 07:07 AM
^ And his ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, was historical as well (though as far as I know the figurehead was fabricated for the game). Same for Black Bart's Royal Fortune. But no, none of the main characters or their ships actually existed, not even Altair.

Edit- and if we are including MP characters, there's also Vlad Tepes from ACR's MP.

ERICATHERINE
07-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Blackbeard was real. We controlled him in the MP DLC.

Yes, but I'm talking about those we can control in single player. Sorry for not telling. ^-^

Farlander1991
07-18-2016, 09:15 AM
They're all fictional, although some seem to take inspiration from certain historical people, for example, if I remember my pirates correctly, Edward seems to have taken some inspiration from Edward Low (or some other pirate if I'm mistaken with Low).

Sometimes there are historical elements or stories that play into the character, for example at Boston Tea Party people saw somebody in native american clothing, so AC3 plays with that by placing Connor at the event and implying it was him.

ERICATHERINE
07-18-2016, 09:53 AM
They're all fictional, although some seem to take inspiration from certain historical people, for example, if I remember my pirates correctly, Edward seems to have taken some inspiration from Edward Low (or some other pirate if I'm mistaken with Low).

Sometimes there are historical elements or stories that play into the character, for example at Boston Tea Party people saw somebody in native american clothing, so AC3 plays with that by placing Connor at the event and implying it was him.

Ok, thanks a lot.

And for the ships? Now it's obvious they didn't have their ac games captains, but did they really existed, at least for some of them?

What I mean is "did a ship by the name of the Aquila really helped at the battle of Cheasepeak?", "did a ship by the name of Experto Crede was owned by maroons where the freedom cry dlc take place?", "has a pirate captain really owned a ship named the Jackdaw?" and "did a ship on the red coat side was actually named the Morrigan?" for some quick exemple. ^-^

SixKeys
07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Ok, thanks a lot.

And for the ships? Now it's obvious they didn't have their ac games captains, but did they really existed, at least for some of them?

What I mean is "did a ship by the name of the Aquila really helped at the battle of Cheasepeak?", "did a ship by the name of Experto Crede was owned by maroons where the freedom cry dlc take place?", "has a pirate captain really owned a ship named the Jackdaw?" and "did a ship on the red coat side was actually named the Morrigan?" for some quick exemple. ^-^

I'm pretty sure all the assassin-owned ships are fictional. The names are usually inspired by the characters. The Jackdaw, for example, was inspired by Edward having an affinity for the Aesop fable "The Jackdaw and the Eagle" (implying he was different from the "eagles" aka other assassins). The Morrigan was named after the Irish goddess of war, a nod to Shay being Irish and possibly of him going to war against his former brothers. The Aquila is just a play on the assassins' eagle motif (Latin for "eagle"). "Experto crede" is the odd one out, as it doesn't have an obvious connection with Adewale. It's Latin for "trust the expert" or "trust in experience". It may refer to Adewale having a lot of experience as Edward's first mate and, I suspect, something of a play with the word "creed". In any case, I don't think it's based on a historical ship.

ERICATHERINE
07-18-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure all the assassin-owned ships are fictional. The names are usually inspired by the characters. The Jackdaw, for example, was inspired by Edward having an affinity for the Aesop fable "The Jackdaw and the Eagle" (implying he was different from the "eagles" aka other assassins). The Morrigan was named after the Irish goddess of war, a nod to Shay being Irish and possibly of him going to war against his former brothers. The Aquila is just a play on the assassins' eagle motif (Latin for "eagle"). "Experto crede" is the odd one out, as it doesn't have an obvious connection with Adewale. It's Latin for "trust the expert" or "trust in experience". It may refer to Adewale having a lot of experience as Edward's first mate and, I suspect, something of a play with the word "creed". In any case, I don't think it's based on a historical ship.

Ok, thanks. ^-^