PDA

View Full Version : Started Syndicate last week - first impressions..

Sickboy7979
07-10-2016, 08:52 PM
I like it A LOT! Victorian London is absolutely beautiful. Really beautiful. I love the industrial look and feel to the city. I'm 16% synch so far. Halfway through Seq 4. Missions have been fun and I enjoy playing both Jacob and Evie. Each have their place and skills. Side missions are fun so far. Can't wait to see where this game goes as I keep going. Not sure where I would rank it yet with the other AC games but, it's REALLY good, IMO.

Sesheenku
07-10-2016, 11:08 PM
That'll die out in 15 seconds when you realize the combat never gets better and the side missions are all the same.

At least the graphics are purdy though.

Megas_Doux
07-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Syndicate is Unity playing safe: better performance on the technical department, more entertaining side quests -not by much, though-, dumbed down combat difficulty wise and a way less ambitious story and customization. Heck even London which is my favorite city so far has less interiors/underground in both regular buildings and landmarks than Paris.

In regards of the story it is probably the flattest one so far. Jacob and Evie interactions are fine, but I never really get into them or their quest. However, I ended up enjoying Syndicate more due to the its better assassinations but mostly because my almost zero hype for it.

The thing with Unity is that I ALWAYS wanted an AC set in Paris/France/French Revolution. I always wanted a somewhat of a challenging combat in which being killed was a possibility. I always wanted deeper customization in which weapons and outfits mattered. I always wanted interactive interiors during freeroam, etc, etc, etc. After AC III and mostly AC IV -my favorite game in the franchise, though- I wanted to return to a more AC I-ish style game and Unity offered ALL that.... Yet it broke my heart, the game I feel both love/hate at the same time THE most.

Sesheenku
07-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Meh after patches it performs just as well as Syndicate on my 970m laptop which btw is set slightly higher than high settings on 1080p, my average fps is 40 and it never ever ever goes below 30.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Glad you're enjoying it so far!

Keep us posted with your progress/impressions :)

HDinHB
07-11-2016, 03:09 AM
Ureh, you are right that Syndicate played it safe. Unity was one of the most ambitious games in the series, but it failed on so many levels.

I don't agree that Unity has a stronger story than Syndicate. Even if you don't include the modern day, I would rank Syndicate higher than Unity. Including Modern Day, Syndicate, which has the strongest modern day since AC3, blows Unity out of the water.

Sickboy, keep an eye out for the little things that bring London to life: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1306143-It-s-the-little-things . Feel free to add to the list.

Sesheenku
07-11-2016, 03:15 AM
Ureh, you are right that Syndicate played it safe. Unity was one of the most ambitious games in the series, but it failed on so many levels.

I don't agree that Unity has a stronger story than Syndicate. Even if you don't include the modern day, I would rank Syndicate higher than Unity. Including Modern Day, Syndicate, which has the strongest modern day since AC3, blows Unity out of the water.

Sickboy, keep an eye out for the little things that bring London to life: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1306143-It-s-the-little-things . Feel free to add to the list.

-Shudders-

After that ridiculous pairing of Evie and Green with no prior chemistry and being knighted by the queen I don't see how anyone could say Syndicate has better story than Unity.

Both Unity and Syndicate had very flat stories but at least Unity doesn't insult your intelligence with an overly simplistic and down right ludicrous ending.

It's only mildly saved by the fact that it didn't show an epilogue with Evie dancing at her wedding in front of a palatial manor and the caption "And she lived happily ever after"

HDinHB
07-11-2016, 03:56 AM
You didn't get the wedding reception ending?

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you think Unity didn't have a simplistic story or predictable, cliched ending you weren't really paying attention. You might make a case the endings were equally bad, but not that Unity was better. And there's a lot more to the story than just the ending.

Sesheenku
07-11-2016, 04:14 AM
You didn't get the wedding reception ending?

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you think Unity didn't have a simplistic story or predictable, cliched ending you weren't really paying attention. You might make a case the endings were equally bad, but not that Unity was better. And there's a lot more to the story than just the ending.

I said both stories were flat.

Oh god there WAS a wedding reception ending?

If either of the stories were worth anything I would at least have one stand out moment between either.

I played them both recently and yet I can recall more standout moments in the first game even...

Anyways I'm not trying to say your opinion is bad or anything don't get me wrong.

I just despise Syndicate for countless reasons and love to tear it a new one. I've played 40 hours of it and I just found nothing at all to love, not in game play, story, nor characters.

It's not the worst AC overall but to me it is the most vile.

Namikaze_17
07-11-2016, 06:19 AM
My thoughts:

I thought Syndicate was a decent AC in some areas; but it really leaned itself to be the most forgettable one for me, personally. The story itself was rather directionless; it literally had no driving force to it. Where was the Family dynamic? What family? The gang that barely had any presence? Oh wait you mean the three Assassins that barely interacted or had any chemistry with each other? That's it? Really? Okay. It was so damn basic that it made Brotherhood look like Finnegan's wake. The main characters themselves were just flat and not at all authentic. You had the boring traditionalist who was practically nonexistent; the killer goofball; and the shy dude with white slippers that conveniently don't fall off. Hell, I actually rooted for the Templars. The ending was like, the worst? I remember watching it for the first time and said to myself, "what the **** is this?", like saving London? Getting knighted by the Queen? These people aren't glorified bodyguards who serve the light or some other heroic bull****. They're people who work in the shadows. The silent heroes; not the ones who get handed the key to the city! It makes me even more disappointed since I was really looking forward to all of that. Sadly, it just didn't live up.

On the more positive side of things:

I thought London was great; one of the best cities in the series, actually
The mission design was the most open its ever been
MD was relatively decent and had me wondering what was next
Soundtrack is brilliant ( especially the ambient)
Excellent use of the Industrial age
Bishop <3
WWI & Lydia
Rebecca's Face
Entertaining side quests

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far nonetheless, OP. It's a great game. :)

Sesheenku
07-11-2016, 06:27 AM
My thoughts:

I thought Syndicate was a decent AC in some areas, but it really leans itself to be the most forgettable one for me, personally.

The story itself was rather directionless; and had no driving force to it. Where was the Family aspect? What family? The gang that barely had no presence? Oh wait you mean the three Assassins that barely interacted with each other? That's it? Really? Okay. It was so damn basic that it made Brotherhood look like Finnegan's wake.

The main characters themselves were just flat and not at all authentic. You had the boring traditionalist who was practically nonexistent; the killer goofball ; and the shy dude with white slippers that conveniently don't fall off. Hell, I actually rooted for the Templars. The ending was like, the worst? I remember watching it for the first time and said, "what the **** is this?", like saving London? Getting knighted by the Queen? These people aren't glorified bodyguards who serve the light or some other heroic bull****. They're people who work in the shadows. The silent heroes; not the ones who get handed the key to the city!

On the more positive side:

•I thought London was great; one of the best cities in the series, actually.
•The mission design was the most open its ever been.
• MD was relatively decent and had me wondering what was next
•Soundtrack is brilliant ( especially the ambient)
• Excellent use of the Industrial age
• Bishop <3
• WWI & Lydia
• Rebecca's Face
• Entertaining side quests

I almost agree entirely with this.

Except for side quests and the mission design. I thought it was just as open in Unity.

Namikaze_17
07-11-2016, 06:58 AM
I almost agree entirely with this.

Except for side quests and the mission design. I thought it was just as open in Unity.

Thanks.

Yeah, I still need to play Unity one of these days... gotta chalk it up to my "things to do in my lifetime" list.

Sesheenku
07-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks.

Yeah, I still need to play Unity one of these days... gotta chalk it up to my "things to do in my lifetime" list.

It was better to wait anyways. Dunno about console but on PC everything is fixed 100%.

Fatal-Feit
07-11-2016, 11:50 PM
More like 90% fixed on the PC. lol I still run into glitches here and there; fell through the ground twice in the past two months. Sometimes hard snap derps and I'm covering behind an invisible wall.

Unity on the PS4 is pretty bad. Same glitches, occasional crashes, and frame rate usually drops when I turn the camera and it plummets every time I hit street level. It was like using a vehicle in Syndicate's PS4 version 24/7, minus the excessive motion blur.

Ureh
07-12-2016, 12:46 AM
Warning, there are some plot Spoilers in this post. Just as a heads-up to Sickboy7979, or anyone who hasn't played/finished the game yet.

I was hoping they'd show more of the Assassins in the main story. Maybe, George getting a letter from Henry (the latter not knowing that the Fryes weren't supposed to be in London). Or maybe a letter from George to Henry, going something like... "Hey we got two rogue assassins, keep an eye out for them. Bring in, alive or dead." Or Evie could confide in Henry and he'll be like, "No I must report you to the council. Good-bye my love." Then the twins get reprimanded, stripped of their rank and equipment, etc. Or even a Templar attack on Crawley or Croydon (wherever the HQ is), maybe as the consequence of the Frye's abandoning their posts and goading the Templars into striking where it really hurts. When the twins return to the Council, they would find it in ruins and almost everyone slaughtered. Then when they return to London, they'll find the Rooks have been taken over by some traitors!

Gotta say that the Thames is a huge improvement in the body-of-water-in-a-city department. It's the most fun I'm having compared to the other games' water. You got the little canal in Damascus which would kill Altair, the harbour in Acre had lots of boats but not much else, it was mostly rowing gondolas and swimming in the Arno and Venetian canals, Tevere in ACB was pretty much the same, the Halic was almost the same albeit prettier, NY had a big pond, Boston had a cesspool, Frontier had lots of eye candy, Siene was just there like everything. But choo chooooo! The Thames just barges out of no where and now we can jump on floating objects like in that AC3 demo, there's a lot of boat traffic which you can combine with other elements to cross the river (rope launcher too), there's a a lot more npcs decorated on the boats and docks, you can even wait at the dock for the next ferry to arrive which is pretty neat, you can also decouple the cargo (although I haven't really figured out any uses yet), and on top of all this it has all of these extra mini activities for income/xp. When you aren't near the river, you can still see the boats going about their business, which makes it feel like the city continues to live and breath even when you're not right there.

As for the overall difficulty (stealth, navigation, combat, etc), it's very easygoing which is a nice change of pace. Kinda glad that they made it the way it is, I know we want the challenge but this toned down difficulty is good for everyone. It's a great game to relax in while still able to feel like you're playing it. I'm confident that in another game down the line, they'll raise the difficulty again.

There was that Constable opportunity in the Tower, but it was really weird that you have to buy EV lvl 2 to be able to talk to him... even though they're looking each other through the glass.

And one of the most evocative scenes - possibly in the entire AC series - was when Evie and Jacob started arguing. It did feel kinda sudden, but it also made me think of my relationship with my own siblings and how I hope that it never gets to that point for my family or anyone else. A lot of the credit also has to go to Pual Amos and Victoria Atkin for channeling their characters' emotions, and of course the mocap/graphics/cinematography teams.

Haven't been able to download the Rip/Maha dlcs yet. Can't wait though! Ok, that's it. Bye bye!

O.oYou mean Megas_Doux? :p

Namikaze_17
07-12-2016, 04:55 AM
Spoilers for the OP or anyone else that hasn't played/finished.

I was hoping they'd show more of the Assassins in the main story. Maybe, George getting a letter from Henry (the latter not knowing that the Fryes weren't supposed to be in London). Or maybe a letter from George to Henry, going something like... "Hey we got two rogue assassins, keep an eye out for them. Bring in, alive or dead." Or Evie could confide in Henry and he'll be like, "No I must report you to the council. Good-bye my love." Then the twins get reprimanded, stripped of their rank and equipment, etc. Or even a Templar attack on Crawley or Croydon (wherever the HQ is), maybe as the consequence of the Frye's abandoning their posts and goading the Templars into striking where it really hurts. When the twins return to the Council, they would find it in ruins and almost everyone slaughtered. Then when they return to London, they'll find the Rooks have been taken over by some traitors!

I'd like to think the lack of other Assassins was mainly due to the hidden fear of the Templars' influence over London;
( I mean, did anyone even respond to Henry's distress call?) but yeah; it was annoying how lost in the plot George got. Like, the entire first sequence could've just been the twins and everything would've played out the same. Your ideas also sound like interesting twists that could've actually added some real tension in a rather tension-less narrative. Even more interesting since George originally was supposed to show up near the end or something.

And one of the most evocative scenes - possibly in the entire AC series - was when Evie and Jacob started arguing. It did feel kinda sudden, but it also made me think of my relationship with my own siblings and how I hope that it never gets to that point for my family or anyone else. A lot of the credit also has to go to Pual Amos and Victoria Atkin for channeling their characters' emotions, and of course the mocap/graphics/cinematography teams.

I can't help but feel like the entire argument was rushed since every other scene with the two together was nothing but friendly banter. To go from that to arguing with hardly any build-up aside from Evie's notebook just makes it feel like you said...sudden. The scene itself was great, though. Props to Paul and Victoria both!

Farlander1991
07-12-2016, 08:10 AM
I can't help but feel like the entire argument was rushed since every other scene with the two together was nothing but friendly banter. To go from that to arguing with hardly any build-up aside from Evie's notebook just makes it feel like you said...sudden. The scene itself was great, though. Props to Paul and Victoria both!

Honestly, I wouldn't call it sudden. The friendly banter kinda ended in Sequence 3 where after their first argument it became more t*****. And then after Sequence 4 for half of the game the only interaction between the twins is during Sequence beginning voice overs, they don't work together at all which makes them grow apart somewhat (not to mention Evie getting increasingly frustrated in the Jacob clean-up missions).

Ureh
07-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't call it sudden. The friendly banter kinda ended in Sequence 3 where after their first argument it became more t*****. And then after Sequence 4 for half of the game the only interaction between the twins is during Sequence beginning voice overs, they don't work together at all which makes them grow apart somewhat (not to mention Evie getting increasingly frustrated in the Jacob clean-up missions).

Their fight definitely wasn't unjustified, indeed there was that build-up. Sudden is probably the wrong word to describe it. But it's the word I jumped to because pretty much as soon as they entered London, they split off and started doing their own things. Which isn't a bad thing since that's what super heroes do. However it was sudden in the sense that they never tried to take a step back and say, "Whoa, hold on, we need to sort things out. Make compromises, formulate a plan that will please both of us. We're the Frye twins, we've known each other our whole lives, trained together, lived together, we would lay down our life for the other. We're the A-team, we can work this out." Instead they just drifted farther and farther apart since square one.

The way that this relationship unfolded is kinda alien to me, which might be another reason why their argument took me a bit by surprise. I know what my siblings don't like, I'm hoping that I know what they do like. So I try to work around the bumps, and smooth the edges. I'd have to go back and read the database entries on the Fryes, but they just seemed to get along well in the beginning, then as soon as they disobey the Council they start becoming disunited. It could be that their bond was already on that break point before the events of the game, but since the game pretty much starts when they're young adults I couldn't really feel that either. I'd have to read the database entries again, I might've misinterpreted these two.

I'm not a writer, and certainly not a professional one, so it's likely I'm wrong. The story they wanted to tell was definitely a little more grey and complicated when compared to some of the past games. It felt like a dab of AC1, with an extra helping of ACB. The gameplay and characters gave me the impression that ACS is like ACB 2.0. The relationship between the Fryes is pretty much the expanded version of the Ezio and Claudia's spat. It does make sense why these siblings argued, but due to limitations of time and other factors, it felt like there were more events and emotions going on then the story could actually tell. So like a 500 page book getting summarized to half.

But then again, they are super heroes (or maybe anti heroes?). They have a lot more on their plate to deal with than I ever will, the stress and challenges they have to face would probably overwhelm simpletons like myself. In that case they're allowed to have a shorter fuse.

Hopefully I'm still making some sense, I get the feeling that my posts aren't cogent.

Namikaze_17
07-12-2016, 11:47 PM

Well, I guess my reasoning mainly surfaces from how the entire argument itself just doesn't feel as justified or impactful; so much that it warrants itself to feel that way because most of the entire story just tells, but doesn't really show. For example, let's take the Star Wars prequels if you've ever seen them; there's Anakin and Obi-Wan. Obi-wan mentions a few times of his and Anakin's interactions & adventures that strengthen their bond as not only master and student; but life-long friends. The movies themselves never shows any of these whatsoever; later, the two begin growing distant, Anakin is mad at Obi-wan but never confronts him about it, and next thing you know he turns and they fight off. Sure, you're told that the two are/were pals but the impact isn't as big as say, the Clone Wars animated series which actually shows off some of these said past adventures and interactions. After watching that, the eventual breakdown itself thus becomes more significant and potent to the viewer.

A similar case is in Syndicate in which you're told of how the two drifted apart, how Evie is frustrated with Jacob through voice overs, and that they don't work together anymore. But, the impact of the argument would've probably held more weight to the player if we were actually shown some of what you mentioned. You're right though; it isn't sudden. Ureh and I both admit that thinking more of it now. A better one would perhaps be... shallow?

RVSage
07-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Syndicate to me is a decent open world adventure, I liked the twin factor. But is it a great AC game? I would say far from that, apart from the twin factor it was pretty cliched story line, game play was much easier than early games. The combat leveling system was not up to the mark. I mean all a higher level enemy has is more HP /takes less damage, The AI level was the same regardless of the enemy level. I loved london and carraige part of the gameplay. It is a good game, but far from great

Fatal-Feit
07-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Semicolons don't work with conjunctions. Just use a comma, please.

Sickboy7979
07-17-2016, 07:39 PM
So I've been at it for a while now since I first posted. In the middle of seq 5. 36% synch. I'm doing a lot of side missions and am working of liberating all of London. I'm still very much enjoying this game. While some of the liberation missions for each section of London can get repetitive, I do find them fun and enjoyable. I've done a couple Charles Darwin missions, train missions, etc. I like leveling up Jacob and Evie as well as my gang. Fun stuff. Still not sure where I would rank this game yet but, it would be fairly high on my list. That said, there isn't an AC game that I don't like!

HDinHB
07-17-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm happy you're enjoying it. If you go slow and look around the city, you will find London to be full of life. One thing I found myself doing, unintentionally, when rescuing the orphans, was trying not to kill anyone where the kids would see it. I also tried not to kill police if possible. If you have access to the Dreadful Crimes DLC, they are quite good.

zambezi71
07-18-2016, 02:02 AM
Tried it for a day or two. The Bounty missions are ridiculous. There are too many Blighters to have to fight through, and by the time I kill one my Bounty is gone. IMO, the game is too difficult which makes it NOT fun. There's too much stealth, not enough progression (I can craft items presently that I cannot use until I reach level 12 or whatever. I will not reach those levels because the game just doesn't suit me. It's boring! I spend much of the time on rooftops because you cant even walk around on the streets without being attacked. WTF?

SixKeys
07-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Tried it for a day or two. The Bounty missions are ridiculous. There are too many Blighters to have to fight through, and by the time I kill one my Bounty is gone.

You're not supposed to fight them, that's the point, lol. You're supposed to sneak by them. It can be tedious, but not hard. Especially if you purchase the "intimidation" skill that makes your bounty unable to wrest free (you can get that skill at a fairly low level).

Fatal-Feit
07-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Tried it for a day or two. The Bounty missions are ridiculous. There are too many Blighters to have to fight through, and by the time I kill one my Bounty is gone. IMO, the game is too difficult which makes it NOT fun. There's too much stealth, not enough progression (I can craft items presently that I cannot use until I reach level 12 or whatever. I will not reach those levels because the game just doesn't suit me. It's boring! I spend much of the time on rooftops because you cant even walk around on the streets without being attacked. WTF?

Blighters attacking you for standing/walking around until you unlocked a perk was a really REALLY dumb idea, for sure. Being alerted keeps you from speaking to NPCs and there's Blighters on easy damn street corner to aggro you. As for the Bounty missions, it's all about patience. Like SixKeys said, you're not suppose to fight anyone, so stick to the rooftops and learn the locations and layouts of your enemies. Once you think you've got it memorized, it tends to be a walk in the park from there. You only have to sneak past a few guards to reach the target. Your target runs if he spots a dead ally, so kill the ones he won't spot if you need to.

Ureh
07-18-2016, 11:20 PM
I'm happy you're enjoying it. If you go slow and look around the city, you will find London to be full of life. One thing I found myself doing, unintentionally, when rescuing the orphans, was trying not to kill anyone where the kids would see it. I also tried not to kill police if possible. If you have access to the Dreadful Crimes DLC, they are quite good.

I'm planning to go really really slow on my next playthrough. Although it was kinda weird that you could complete most of the child liberation missions without killing a single blighter (except the foreman).

If sneaking isn't your playstyle, then make sure to tackle your target as soon as they start to escape. Once you've tackled them, they'll stop running and cower in fear until you've finished off the remaining enemies. Once the fight is over just walk up to the target and press kidnap.

cawatrooper9
07-19-2016, 10:00 PM
You're not supposed to fight them, that's the point, lol. You're supposed to sneak by them. It can be tedious, but not hard. Especially if you purchase the "intimidation" skill that makes your bounty unable to wrest free (you can get that skill at a fairly low level).

That's probably the "right" way to do it, but I have a method that I have had a lot of fun with, too.

Basically, once the Rooks are well leveled up, gather up a nice sized crew. Then, take a vantage point and scout out where the target is. Have the rooks attack, causing chaos, while you tail your target from the shadows (as long as you order the Rooks to attack far enough away from the target, he should be able to escape easily enough. While pursuing the target through the chaos of the gang fight, let them get on a carriage, then also climb onto the carriage yourself. Wait for them to drive themselves (And you) a decent distance from the fight, then pull them over, take them out, and stuff them in their own getaway vehicle.