PDA

View Full Version : PC Problems.. HELP!

XyZspineZyX
07-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Right, having major problems with my pc at the moment. I could really use some help if anyone knows what's wrong.

Having lost all my music/work etc. to an unknown cause a few weeks back I decided to format and reinstall windows.

Now I just want to make sure I'm doing it right 1st, perhaps that's where the problem lies..

Restart comp with Win XP disc in drive.
Boot up from drive.
Delete partion.
Create new partion using full space. (NTSF)
Format.
Install Win XP.

Everything goes accordingly and I get to the desktop.

I install the drivers for my Graphics card and then attempt to install the drivers for my sound card (not sure if it's related to the problem). It says it installs fine and then I reboot. When I boot up I have no sound, and I have to delete the drivers or 1 driver, then 'search for new hardware' and install drivers from CD again. I get sound.

Reboot, same problem, over and over, I'm using the correct drivers, but it just doesn't seem to give me sound.

Anyway after messing around with them, I often shut down then when I restart it sometimes comes up with 'you have made recent hardware/software changes' and cant start up windows, in any mode (normal/safe etc.) and other times it comes up with "the files are either missing or corrupt. Cannot load Windows\system32\config\windows' or something like that. I need to format and load windows again! it's really frustrating. If anyone has any idea what's going on please help, I keep losing files I need. (college work etc).

Also while we're on the subject. Could the soundcard be causing all these problems.

And also slighly different topic. How can I check whether my MOBO can take a higher processor?. I'm using a GIGABYTE MOBO and using an 1800+ XP processor, it's fairly new, about a year old, I want to upgrade to a 2400-3000+

Thanks for any help.

XyZspineZyX
07-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Right, having major problems with my pc at the moment. I could really use some help if anyone knows what's wrong.

Having lost all my music/work etc. to an unknown cause a few weeks back I decided to format and reinstall windows.

Now I just want to make sure I'm doing it right 1st, perhaps that's where the problem lies..

Restart comp with Win XP disc in drive.
Boot up from drive.
Delete partion.
Create new partion using full space. (NTSF)
Format.
Install Win XP.

Everything goes accordingly and I get to the desktop.

I install the drivers for my Graphics card and then attempt to install the drivers for my sound card (not sure if it's related to the problem). It says it installs fine and then I reboot. When I boot up I have no sound, and I have to delete the drivers or 1 driver, then 'search for new hardware' and install drivers from CD again. I get sound.

Reboot, same problem, over and over, I'm using the correct drivers, but it just doesn't seem to give me sound.

Anyway after messing around with them, I often shut down then when I restart it sometimes comes up with 'you have made recent hardware/software changes' and cant start up windows, in any mode (normal/safe etc.) and other times it comes up with "the files are either missing or corrupt. Cannot load Windows\system32\config\windows' or something like that. I need to format and load windows again! it's really frustrating. If anyone has any idea what's going on please help, I keep losing files I need. (college work etc).

Also while we're on the subject. Could the soundcard be causing all these problems.

And also slighly different topic. How can I check whether my MOBO can take a higher processor?. I'm using a GIGABYTE MOBO and using an 1800+ XP processor, it's fairly new, about a year old, I want to upgrade to a 2400-3000+

Thanks for any help.

XyZspineZyX
07-04-2003, 06:00 PM
What kind of sound card, what are your other system specs.

O

XyZspineZyX
07-04-2003, 06:00 PM
if your mobo have the internal speaker sounds open I suggest you to turn it down in the BIOS, could be the problem I already had this before.

<a href=http://www.angelfire.com/ex/jonz>http://www.angelfire.com/ex/jonz/r6barrett.jpg </a>
<table style="filter:glow[color=red, strength=5)"><td>-> JonZ Artworks *updated 05-08-03* <-</font> (http://www.angelfire.com/ex/jonz><font)</table>

yeehaaaaaaa, yeeeeeeehaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa, yeeeeeeeBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! - Dr. Strangelove

XyZspineZyX
07-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Yes, most likely you have onboard sound that you need to disable in your device manager (or bios if u know how) so it doesnt conflict with your pci soundcard.
If not, make sure youre using the latest winxp compatible drivers.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~mattdp/Gandalfsig1.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey, Sorry guys I moved house and have been without the net for 6 weeks *shivers*

Anyway, back now /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I had a genius soundcard and genius speakers, it was PCI plug in, I actually solved the problem by switching to a new hard drive and taking the sound card out. It was one of the 2, not sure which one.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it was the sound card, had problems with it from day 1, I'll pick up a creative card in a few days, they're not that expencive now. Thanks for the help anyway /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif