PDA

View Full Version : The Room-like puzzles for AC?

Sushiglutton
07-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Recently played the little puzzle game the Room. Has anyone played it? It was on iOS first I think but now the first two parts are on PC. Anyway it was an excellent little game I def recomend. Basically what you do is solving various old mechanical puzzles centered around some object. First one is trying to open a safe for example, then there are tables, cabinets and so on. It has a very Da-Vinci-Code-mystery like feel. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syiha-lS04g

So what does this have to do with AC? Well basically I really think the puzzles in the Room captured the feel I would love to have for puzzles in AC. The old, very machanical devices. Cogs, springs, cranks it all looks so neat and like it could actually work. Then the difficulty is very reasonable. The game is great at closing old puzzles so you don't have too many loose ends to unravel. The Room allready has it's own version of EV that let's you inspect the Objects and spot secret messages and what not.

Anyway do you care about puzzles in AC at all? Do you think it's time they got a facelift? How about having like precursor boxes with some the Room like puzzles?

If anyone says something like: "Bo-hoo someone wants AC to be like another game", I'm gonna put wasabi in your toothpaste!

SixKeys
07-09-2016, 10:26 PM
I miss the puzzles, but only because they were so mysterious and intriguing. They went a long way into establishing the lore, they were creepy (that scream coupled with "THEY BURNED JOAN ALIVE".....), they had all kinds of cool details like floating secret numbers or morse code that you had to scan for, and best of all, they tied into real modern day events. I loved looking for conspiracy clues in pictures of Reagan shaking hands with somebody, a hidden Abstergo/Templar logo on the Moon landing. or the television sliding puzzle that revealed a phone call about Abstergo coming to take away some poor sod who accidentally saw a secret transmission.

I don't care about puzzles that are in the game just because, like the Mayan stones in AC4. I want them to have deeper meaning.

Sesheenku
07-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Zelda dungeons in AC pls.

ERICATHERINE
07-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Recently played the little puzzle game the Room. Has anyone played it? It was on iOS first I think but now the first two parts are on PC. Anyway it was an excellent little game I def recomend. Basically what you do is solving various old mechanical puzzles centered around some object. First one is trying to open a safe for example, then there are tables, cabinets and so on. It has a very Da-Vinci-Code-mystery like feel. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syiha-lS04g

So what does this have to do with AC? Well basically I really think the puzzles in the Room captured the feel I would love to have for puzzles in AC. The old, very machanical devices. Cogs, springs, cranks it all looks so neat and like it could actually work. Then the difficulty is very reasonable. The game is great at closing old puzzles so you don't have too many loose ends to unravel. The Room allready has it's own version of EV that let's you inspect the Objects and spot secret messages and what not.

Anyway do you care about puzzles in AC at all? Do you think it's time they got a facelift? How about having like precursor boxes with some the Room like puzzles?

If anyone says something like: "Bo-hoo someone wants AC to be like another game", I'm gonna put wasabi in your toothpaste!

You don't know where is my toothpaste, so I can say it. :p

No, but seriously, I really enjoyed the truth side missions in ac ii and ac b. I also like the murder mystery of ac unity and the dreadful crimes from ac syndicate. I didn't play your game, but I'm sure I would like it. I really like this kind of stuff. ^-^

Ureh
07-10-2016, 05:28 AM
Yeah they were pretty charming (in a kinda creepy way). One of the few side stuff that I replay every time I start up the Ezio games. I'm sure they'll return eventually if they're one of the reasons why a lot of fans loved AC2/B.

That gear/wheel thingy atop St. Paul's Cathedral in ACS was probably a teaser.

Helforsite
07-10-2016, 07:13 AM
I miss the puzzles, but only because they were so mysterious and intriguing. They went a long way into establishing the lore, they were creepy (that scream coupled with "THEY BURNED JOAN ALIVE".....), they had all kinds of cool details like floating secret numbers or morse code that you had to scan for, and best of all, they tied into real modern day events. I loved looking for conspiracy clues in pictures of Reagan shaking hands with somebody, a hidden Abstergo/Templar logo on the Moon landing. or the television sliding puzzle that revealed a phone call about Abstergo coming to take away some poor sod who accidentally saw a secret transmission.

I don't care about puzzles that are in the game just because, like the Mayan stones in AC4. I want them to have deeper meaning.
I have to agree 100%.
While puzzles and riddles are amazing and fun themselves, if you don't get anything for solving them they become just another chore, which was my problem with the riddles in Unity which were pretty hard, because they required you to know quite a lot about Paris, but in the end did not pay off, because you only got a boring armour. The glyphs in AC2/B are one of my favourite things in all the games to this day, because the puzzles themselves were fun and the way they expanded was not too on the nose and had that conspiracy feeling. I just love how they took us to multiple points in history and showed us things we thought we knew and completely changed how we saw them, by suggesting more than telling us that there was another layer to it, for the example the letter about Hitler&Co. being Templars and starting WW2 because of it. Which is just a long way of saying that I want glyphs back just like they were, which was perfect to me.

Sushiglutton
07-10-2016, 12:19 PM

I agree that puzzles for a game like AC are sooo much about presentation. It should not be just pulling some boxes without context. The puzzles in AC2/Brotherhood were much more enjoyable than the puzzles per se, for the reasons you give. I think the presentation in the Room was also great because you discovered letters along the way with clues, but also hints about the bigger picture.

Zelda dungeons in AC pls.

I wouldn't object lol, I love Zelda. But perhaps the find-item-to-solve-puzzles-and-defeat-boss design wouldn't work as well!

You don't know where is my toothpaste, so I can say it. :p

No, but seriously, I really enjoyed the truth side missions in ac ii and ac b. I also like the murder mystery of ac unity and the dreadful crimes from ac syndicate. I didn't play your game, but I'm sure I would like it. I really like this kind of stuff. ^-^

Bluff called :(.

Yeah mystery is kind of fun, especially when it makes you feel a bit smart. The Room was €1 at Steam sale and now is €5 (haha I sound like a sales person for this game, have no connection promise!), so pick it up at Halloween sale :)!

I have to agree 100%.
While puzzles and riddles are amazing and fun themselves, if you don't get anything for solving them they become just another chore, which was my problem with the riddles in Unity which were pretty hard, because they required you to know quite a lot about Paris, but in the end did not pay off, because you only got a boring armour. The glyphs in AC2/B are one of my favourite things in all the games to this day, because the puzzles themselves were fun and the way they expanded was not too on the nose and had that conspiracy feeling. I just love how they took us to multiple points in history and showed us things we thought we knew and completely changed how we saw them, by suggesting more than telling us that there was another layer to it, for the example the letter about Hitler&Co. being Templars and starting WW2 because of it. Which is just a long way of saying that I want glyphs back just like they were, which was perfect to me.

Agree that information is a good type of reward. Because those who don't really care can just ignore it and those who wanna spend the time get something. Ideas are forever, an armor is just for the game ;)

SixKeys
07-10-2016, 11:32 PM
I would love it if AC did more to stretch the role-playing elements into the real world. I know there is an official term for this, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. What I mean is stuff like the old Abstergo Industries website which pretended that there really is a legit company called Abstergo, and people could register there and read "corporate e-mails" to find out secrets from the games. Initiates kind of tried something similar, but was hampered by too much gate-keeping (micro-transactions, mandatory registration, the companion app that was required for 100% completion of the game etc.) and the rewards offered by the site weren't interesting enough.

Remember the numerical codes scattered in all three Chronicles games? How cool would it be if you could stumble upon something like that in the main games, a secret code or symbol or message, with no direct explanation what it's meant for, and you would have to go online and do some detective work, collaborating with other fans to figure it out? AC used to do this kind of stuff. Like how upon completing some Subject 16 mission, you would get an achievement which was in Morse code. Since most people can't read Morse, it meant going online to discuss with other fans until someone found out the translation. We found out that the name of the achievement translated to something like "I am alive", which started another wave of wild speculation. Was S16 dead or alive? Was he a ghost in the machine? What does it all mean? It was such an exciting time for the fandom. I was reminded of this kind of stuff when the P.T. demo was still around and fans all over the world were working together to piece the puzzles together to figure out how to unlock the true ending. There was a true sense of unity and sharing our mutual love for the franchise.

I would love for these elements of real-life RPGing to return to AC. Put puzzles in the game that encourage fans to work together, puzzles that are a little bit obscure so they make you feel smart when you figure them out. It can be amazingly simple, like writing a message in Chinese symbols that can only be seen in Eagle Vision. Unless you happen to be fluent in Chinese, most players will immediately be intrigued and look it up.

Hell, look at the popularity of Pokemon Go right now. Make an app that sends players on a real-world glyph hunt. How ****ing cool would it be to walk past a church in RL and see a glowing message from Subject 16 on the wall? The possibilities are endless. Just make the reward for piecing a puzzle together something special like the Truth videos - NOT something we already know like the terrible Chronicles "reveal" upon inputting the codes.

ERICATHERINE
07-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Yeah mystery is kind of fun, especially when it makes you feel a bit smart. The Room was €1 at Steam sale and now is €5 (haha I sound like a sales person for this game, have no connection promise!), so pick it up at Halloween sale :)!

I would like to buy it, I can't. Since there is no ac game in december, I keeping as much money as I can to be able to buy a vacation trip to Cuba. Also, is the Room a ps4 game? You talked about it being on pc, but the only platform I have are my ps3 and ps4. ^-^

Sushiglutton
07-11-2016, 12:47 PM
I would like to buy it, I can't. Since there is no ac game in december, I keeping as much money as I can to be able to buy a vacation trip to Cuba. Also, is the Room a ps4 game? You talked about it being on pc, but the only platform I have are my ps3 and ps4. ^-^

Ah Cuba, that sounds even more fun! Yeah I donšt think it's on Playstation. But you don't need much of a PC to run it.

dxsxhxcx
07-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Here's to S16 and Erudito, the most underused characters this franchise already had..

There was so much potential involving these two, but no, let's turn S16 into a loony whose words shouldn't be taken seriously (but now kinda are for fan service purposes), turn Erudito into a collective and put a generic label on it, so we don't need to create a fleshed out character.

cawatrooper9
07-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Looks pretty interesting- wouldn't mind it as side content, at least.

To be honest, though, I was hoping for something more like this:

http://65.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6xkgvDsFw1rae5vno1_1280.jpg

Namikaze_17
07-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Are we saying its return be for the sake of the plot; or just for the hell of it? There has to be a force behind if its the latter; otherwise it'll just feel like a bunch of randomness with no context or mystery to it. And please, no Juno. She's nearly as relevant as Erudito or whatever.

"Why are we doing this?"
"....I dunno. It just... exists?"

Anyways I love puzzles so I'm all for it.

ERICATHERINE
07-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Ah Cuba, that sounds even more fun! Yeah I donšt think it's on Playstation. But you don't need much of a PC to run it.

Problem is, I don't have a pc in the first place. When I say I go on the internet while I'm hom, it's because I use my ps4 and when I really need a pc, I go to the library. They always have at least one of their 7 pc, that I can use, when I go there and since I live in the same city than that library I don't have to pay to get the library cards, which I use to rent book AND use their pcs.

But hell yea Cuba is fun. ^-^