PDA

View Full Version : Are We Playing As The Class Or The Character?

CaesarVI00
07-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Ever since they took the Oni off the official site and posted the Raider, Warden, and Kensei, I have been wondering, are these the titles of the characters, or are these their classes? On the official site, they described these more as characters then as classes, whereas with the Oni, they listed his/her abilities, type of armor and weapon style. Personally, I am really hoping that these are just the names of the characters and not the classes we have to play as through the campaign. I want to play the story mode as the Oni, the knight with the shield, and a Viking with the spear. Those are my preferences. What do the rest of you think?

MisterWillow
07-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Generally, they're both. The class is a Hero, which is a character, and the Hero is a class.

In regard to the campaign, I thought originally that you'd play as every Hero/class during the campaign---and something someone (Jason, I think, but can't be sure) said made me think I was right---but the way Geoff phrased it during the masterclass (after watching it again) makes me think you'll only play as the Warden, Raider, and Kensei. So, I don't know.

Personally, I feel like it would be better to have sections for each Hero during the campaign, just so you can familiarize yourself with every character, so that once you enter multiplayer, you already have some knowledge of how each Hero works.

Nymphonomicon
07-08-2016, 08:29 AM
I do hope there is some distinction between class and character. I can recall from my tabletop gaming days that it is incredibly dull to just play as a general class that doesn't have any personality to it.

Deadshot.
07-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Personally, I feel like it would be better to have sections for each Hero during the campaign, just so you can familiarize yourself with every character, so that once you enter multiplayer, you already have some knowledge of how each Hero works.

Agreed. Always like to have a feel for it before jumping right in. Especially since I'm doing the campaign first anyway.

MisterWillow
07-09-2016, 09:01 AM
I do hope there is some distinction between class and character. I can recall from my tabletop gaming days that it is incredibly dull to just play as a general class that doesn't have any personality to it.

Sadly, you might have to prepare yourself for a certain level of disappointment, then.

The way that both of the campaign missions play out with a narrator speaking in the past-tense, as if they're telling a story of events that already occurred, referring to the player character as their class---i.e. 'That Warden held that wall' or 'The Raider knew he had to open the gate'---along with the fact that neither of them speak (very much), makes me think that the player character isn't really going to have much of a personality; they're more of a conduit for you to experience the story.

That might not be the case the entire campaign, of course, but if it is, I understand your perspective. The way they seem to be going, though, I think works for what they're trying to achieve.

Agreed. Always like to have a feel for it before jumping right in. Especially since I'm doing the campaign first anyway.

Same here.

Runic
07-11-2016, 04:52 AM
I bring my own personality to the game (or I pillage it from someone else as that is the Viking way).

CaesarVI00
07-11-2016, 07:37 PM
One thing that crossed my mind that might happen in the game is, we might end up playing as all the classes while we are playing the campaign as the main characters. The Kensei was demoted and thrown into prison. So, obviously, we have to escape prison, but we might start off using the Oni class, wearing light armor and wield a katana. Same thing with the Viking. During that gameplay reveal, they said that took place somewhere in the middle of the campaign. So maybe towards the beginning of the Viking's story, we might start of with a shield and sword before the Raider's rise to prominence.

This is, of course, speculation but I really hope we can play as all the classes throughout the campaign.

Runic
07-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Playing all the classes in campaign would be a good way of getting a feel for how they all play before you head into multiplayer.

Willaguy2010
07-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Playing all the classes in campaign would be a good way of getting a feel for how they all play before you head into multiplayer.

True, but I don't think the devs are keen on the idea of using the campaign as a sort of tutorial. They said this will be a full fledged story driven campaign, while that doesn't mean they shouldn't teach you things, I don't think its a good idea to make it as if you should play the campaign to learn more about multiplayer.

Runic
07-12-2016, 10:26 PM
True, but I don't think the devs are keen on the idea of using the campaign as a sort of tutorial. They said this will be a full fledged story driven campaign, while that doesn't mean they shouldn't teach you things, I don't think its a good idea to make it as if you should play the campaign to learn more about multiplayer.

Good point. If that is the case I hope there is a training or bot mode so I can practice new classes without being destroyed online.

MisterWillow
07-13-2016, 02:00 AM

They're kind of doing that already, though, by telling us that the campaign explains why the multiplayer landscape is the way it is.

I get your point that the campaign should be optional for people, but if you take something like the recent Netherrealm campaigns as an example, the campaign could be useful as a way to introduce players to characters' abilities and fighting styles that they otherwise might not have tried, in an environment that's more forgiving than the purely competitive one of multiplayer, and in a more entertaining way than a training mode or pure tutorial.

Good point. If that is the case I hope there is a training or bot mode so I can practice new classes without being destroyed online.

They said sometime last year that fully offline bot matches would be included, so even if the campaign isn't how I'd like, that's always an option for trying new things out.

Willaguy2010
07-13-2016, 06:34 AM
They're kind of doing that already, though, by telling us that the campaign explains why the multiplayer landscape is the way it is.

I get your point that the campaign should be optional for people, but if you take something like the recent Netherrealm campaigns as an example, the campaign could be useful as a way to introduce players to characters' abilities and fighting styles that they otherwise might not have tried, in an environment that's more forgiving than the purely competitive one of multiplayer, and in a more entertaining way than a training mode or pure tutorial.

They said sometime last year that fully offline bot matches would be included, so even if the campaign isn't how I'd like, that's always an option for trying new things out.

Yeah that makes more sense. Like I'll probably play the campaign first and play some classes or factions that I wouldn't normally play in MP and actually find that I might switch factions or something like that. I just hope the campaign won't be forgiving after its done with the first few missions.

MisterWillow
07-14-2016, 03:02 AM
I just hope the campaign won't be forgiving after its done with the first few missions.

Same here.

Runic
07-14-2016, 04:51 AM

This is great news. There are times when I want to play a few games but I know my little girl is going to wake up soon. Being able to play offline means I don't have to pick between being that guy that drops out at a vital point in the match and leaving my little girl crying in her cot while I finish the match. This may not seem like much to people without kids but this is huge for me (And just so you know - I will always pick my kid over a game).

CaesarVI00
07-15-2016, 06:58 PM
One thing that crossed my mind is what if we are playing as all the classes throughout the Campaign? The reason I think that is because when you go to the Official Site and look at the factions, each one says "More Heroes To Come". That's "Heroes" not "Classes". To my, that implies that these are going to be other characters for us to play as within that faction. And because this is in fact a war game, with different factions to fight against, we may be fighting on different fronts against different enemies, and to do that, we may be playing as other Heroes within our chosen faction.

Personally, I hope that is what ends up happening. I think playing as different heroes with different paths, as well as weaponry, makes the game have that much more play value. Hopefully our questions will all be answered tonight during the Livestream Event.

MisterWillow
07-15-2016, 08:59 PM
One thing that crossed my mind is what if we are playing as all the classes throughout the Campaign?

That's what I thought was going to happen.

However, during the masterclass this year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZO4iyF51f0), the associate game director in charge of the campaign (who's name I can't quite make out enough to try and spell, apologies) says specifically (32:20) "Since we want to tell a specific story of Apollyon and the three factions and how they all interact with each other, you're going to play each campaign in a specific order---THE campaign, and each faction in a specific order---so, you're going to start with the Knights, as the Warden, then go into the Vikings campaign as the Raider, and lastly in the Samurai campaign, in the samurai part of the campaign."

This gave me the impression that we're only playing the Warden, Raider, and Kensei (even though he didn't say Kensei specifically, the rest of the sentence heavily implies it). That could be a bit of obfuscation on his part---that is, he means only that we'll start each section of the campaign as the Warden, Raider, and Kensei, but will, in fact, play as all the classes within each faction before the transition to the next factions' campaign section---but everyone there dodges questions like they're in the Matrix, so it's anyone's guess.

The reason I think that is because when you go to the Official Site and look at the factions, each one says "More Heroes To Come". That's "Heroes" not "Classes". To my, that implies that these are going to be other characters for us to play as within that faction. And because this is in fact a war game, with different factions to fight against, we may be fighting on different fronts against different enemies, and to do that, we may be playing as other Heroes within our chosen faction.

Heroes and classes can be used interchangeably in regard to For Honor.

We also already know that there are other characters to play. I made a whole thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1341664-Hero-class-shadows?) last year speculating on what they might be.

The Oni (now Orochi) was showcased (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFBQAoA2YM) at the Tokyo Game Show (?), was in the reveal material (1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcZzUpF8ZM), 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_ek6uAnFo)), and I seriously doubt they scrapped him, especially since he's in the Viking mission (one of the interviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo5K_pS6IBs) Jason gave was a walkthrough, and he renamed him Orochi). In the same mission (different walkthrough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k)), Geoff names the Kanabo Samurai as Shugoki, so that's three Hero/classes for the Samurai.

Up until this E3, a different Viking (http://i66.tinypic.com/30htumr.jpg) was featured on the main site as the Raider, with a sword and shield, and you can also see him in the walkthrough linked above after the gates are opened and the player is heading to the Saboru. So that's at least two for the Vikings---which is to say nothing of the woman with a shield and spear (which Jason names Runa in Beans' interview), so that might be a Hero/class as well. There was also a Viking with dual axes featured in the promotional material (https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/for_honor_widekeyart_e3_150615_4pmpst_1434397256.j pg) until this E3, so that's potentially another.

For the Knights, a knight using a shield and flail has been in all promo material---both the one linked above and the spiffy new one (https://images-eds-ssl.xboxlive.com/image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6Mnu24_PawYu DYIoH77pJ.X5Z.MqQPibUVTcQ_aUqw2dMhl.MI8jipkKGxMUMf fECNaqNiGHrh6iu8MiBUtDfSu0fbMcDHSGH4Sm.oCsye8rJEV5 X7my_MdO4NHjq7IfpiYUaEQRCoWTR0rEce1gTnBFb7yj3K.lqH 3dYPZEApf3fod39t0FCgFyq3S0nawBvmoh3MQ_d3AO1m4-&format=jpg) (though more exaggerated than I would like)---and he was featured very briefly in a promo trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwL2wSL9FWs) last year. So that's two, possibly.

But all that could just pertain to multiplayer Hero/class choice and have nothing to do with the campaign.

Personally, I hope that is what ends up happening. I think playing as different heroes with different paths, as well as weaponry, makes the game have that much more play value.

I agree.