PDA

View Full Version : Steam Controller with For Honor

Pallbearer7
07-07-2016, 11:15 PM
Hey guys, I recently acquired a Steam Controller and find it very fun to play games and create configurations for them.

Anybody have any cool ideas of configurations we could use for For Honor? First one that comes to mind is using gyro control on our stance, but that'd probably be clumsier than useful.

Chaf--
07-10-2016, 08:03 AM
I don't think an optimal configuration will be that different on Steam pad than on a regular pad.
- Analog Joystick to move.
- Right trackpad to change your stances.
- LT, RT, RB, X, Y, A and B doing the same job as on console pads.
Maybe there's more ways to optimize it. I don't exactly know.

Fatal-Feit
07-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Gyro is a great idea and it's not as impractical as it sounds. It could free up some buttons that could be for feats so you won't have to remove your left/movement thumb to use them. I also use it for M&B when I use the controller since that game has a similar stance system and it works fairly well. I'm a huge fan of the Steam controller and since I've had experience with For Honor, I've already came up with dozens of configurations for it. :)

Here are some ideas to use for a setup that I thought of:

* Map Guard Mode to RT Soft Pull with Simple Threshold Style and keep Full Pull as Heavy Attack. You've now freed up LT for whatever you want.

* Set RTP (right trackpad) to Mode Shifting with your Guard Mode button. Use Mouse Joystick and set Edge Spin Radius to 0. Now you can switch stances with just a tap instead of needing to flick anything. Should give a small advantage in battles.

* Removing your thumb from the Left Analog to use feats can be a problem so one of my solutions are mapping them all to the Back Grips. There's many ways to do this because of the new Activation Type update; you can even map all 4 buttons to one grip. ex: Map D-pad Up as Regular Press, D-pad Right as Double Press, D-pad Left as Long Press, and D-pad Down as Start or Release Press on either grips.

* Guard Break and Dodge can be mapped to the back grips through Mode Shift so you don't have to lose control of your stances to use them.

I have a ton more ideas but it's almost 7 in the morning and I haven't got any sleep yet so I'll share them later if you guys are interested.

yote224
07-10-2016, 08:46 PM
My only issue with gyro controls would be for splitscreen. Sure you can trust your friends not to "screen peek" but if you are sitting right beside them and they have to jerk or twist it'd be hard not to notice that even without peripheral vision. I think the idea is great other than that.

Pallbearer7
07-11-2016, 05:04 AM
My only issue with gyro controls would be for splitscreen. Sure you can trust your friends not to "screen peek" but if you are sitting right beside them and they have to jerk or twist it'd be hard not to notice that even without peripheral vision. I think the idea is great other than that.

While that's a valid issue with gyro, they aren't bringing split screen to PC. so let's be positive and thank them that we won't have to deal with that issue...

yote224
07-13-2016, 01:44 PM
Good call. I had forgotten about that.

HideoshiKaze.TV
07-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Steam Controller will be 100% supported for the game. Confirmed it with one of the devs and I'll be working with him on creating a public profile for everyone = )

Pallbearer7
07-20-2016, 04:48 PM
That is super cool! Truly was not expecting them to pay much attention to it, I will be interested to see the binding.

TrestleSky
09-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Hey guys,

For those who have had success playing For Honor with a steam controller (SC), how did you get the game to recognize your controller? I tried configure my controller through the game control mapping, but the game didn't recognize some of the buttons such as "x". I then tried adding it as a non-steam game in my library and playing it that way, but since it's launched from the Uplay client it caused some problems. Suggestions?

Pallbearer7
09-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Hey guys,

For those who have had success playing For Honor with a steam controller (SC), how did you get the game to recognize your controller? I tried configure my controller through the game control mapping, but the game didn't recognize some of the buttons such as "x". I then tried adding it as a non-steam game in my library and playing it that way, but since it's launched from the Uplay client it caused some problems. Suggestions?

Yeah, actually I got into the alpha and I've been using my SC (: .

What I do is I add uplay.exe to steam as a non-steam game. The app itself, I just name it For Honor in Steam, even though it's just Uplay. Then I launch it from Steam, which starts Uplay. At this point I still cannot configure the controller and it acts like it's in desktop mode still. I just start the For Honor alpha from uplay, and once it starts and loads the steam overlay attaches to the game and I can then configure my controls and use the controller just like any other game.

ilyfuzz
09-19-2016, 08:53 AM
I just played the second Alpha, and found this thread on the eve of the last night. Spent 2 hours tweaking things so far figuring out new placement of abilities, smoothing Mouse input. Have to say it may be a big advantage, with practice. The guard mechanic is extremely responsive. I actually had to slow, way down with Orochi compared to xb1 stick.
Guard Break on Touchpad press, means you never have to take your thumb off that buttery smooth Mouse-pad-thingy.

WARNING: DO NOT CROSS CONTROLLER OPTIONS WITH KEYBOARD OPTIONS!!
ie. "Y" button "B" button with "W,A,S,D/Mouse"

It will make the LT/RT press cancel Mouse/Touchpad input. Just get creative, you can rebind any Key in F.H. options.

Bronloch
01-29-2017, 08:35 PM
I would love to have it as a regular controller with left track pad as movement and then the joystick as direction pad, but I can never get it to work! Really getting salty at this point. The game constantly sees the controller as a keyboard! Is that even normal?

If someone could PLEASE tell me how to accomplish this, then I would be eternally grateful. This game is the ONLY reason I bought the controller in the first place. lol

Thanks!

Gunnar_Krig
02-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Yeah, actually I got into the alpha and I've been using my SC (: .

What I do is I add uplay.exe to steam as a non-steam game. The app itself, I just name it For Honor in Steam, even though it's just Uplay. Then I launch it from Steam, which starts Uplay. At this point I still cannot configure the controller and it acts like it's in desktop mode still. I just start the For Honor alpha from uplay, and once it starts and loads the steam overlay attaches to the game and I can then configure my controls and use the controller just like any other game.

Can you go into more detail on this? I'm trying this right now in the open beta, but it doesn't work.

Hanssell
02-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Seems that currently eac prevents steam overlay from loading, leaving steam controller to desktop config.

Spraying_mango
02-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know of a simple profile to load so I can use my Steam Controller with this game??? Right now it's stuck in desktop mode so the controller is useless.... :(

AedanKing
02-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Yeah I got into Open beta and am right now downloading the game. I found using the left pad as a mouse, then in additional setting, setting edge spin radius to 50% and edge spin speed to 25% works really well. I for get what the in game settings were though.