PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles. Why?

colin-www
07-06-2016, 01:08 AM
This is incredible. This might be the first game ever that I've paid good money for and decided after a few minutes just to not bother. Why go back to 2d platform games? We've been there and done that. I am not nostalgic for amiga 500 games.
Loved Syndicate. Even played through all the dlcs.
But back to the point - was anyone at Ubisoft proud of Chronicles. Did anyone think that it would be well received and make people go wow or just be engrossing or something other that bored. Seriously, I'm asking if anyone looked at it and thought "we've screwed up here" and if they did then why the hell is it on the shop shelves.

DynaRider
07-06-2016, 01:33 AM
I checked game trailers and decided not to buy the game.

Sesheenku
07-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Duh so they have an excuse to not go to China in an actual AC later.

THAT said... I am not opposed to variety in gaming.

Others DO like 2D side scrollers and I will not complain that they are finally getting their chance to enjoy a quality AC tailored to their taste.

Your attitude leads to homogenous grey sludge coming out from triple A companies. They think everyone's like you and then make the same game over and over and over again.

Watch what you say, your words can have a profound effect on this broken industry run by morons with their eyes glued to worthless focus charts.

I don't like side scrollers, I don't like puzzle games, I don't like story based walking simulators... AND YET I am happy they exist, cause if there are people to consume them then that means the industry will wake up and make more genres of games.

While I will be disgusted if they try to use this as an excuse to not make an AC China I currently applaud their decision to tackle forgotten and abandoned genres because there IS an audience for them and I'm sure they're all happy that a big company has laid down the first brick for a possible come back of that genre.

So basically if you think Syndicate is bloody great play it some more and wait for the next main AC.

Chronicles is on the shop because there's an audience for it. It sells because some people want it. Some people enjoy things that you don't. Get over it.

Just cause you don't like a genre doesn't mean the company has to be sorry and cater to you all the time.

Your behavior is childish, selfish, and absolutely disgusting.

Grow up.

colin-www
07-06-2016, 08:41 AM
I'm guessing you think that is a well balanced argument?

Making changes is one thing - to remove the good bits like the graphics and interaction and to introduce an outdated side-scroller is not progress.

Yep some people might like it. - can't think who. Personally I hate d it enough to want to say something on here.

With a good enough storyline they can keep the formula going with the introduction of enhancements rather than a complete departure.

I'm sure the company won't just listen to my voice. Especially if they are as you describe them. Anyway I didn't post on here to join in personal attacks.

Oh, and I think there's a ZX Spectrum emulator online.

colin-www
07-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks DynaRider. Good point and I've learned my lesson.

Sesheenku
07-06-2016, 08:55 AM

I know for a fact that it is a logical argument.

Making changes is one thing - to remove the good bits like the graphics and interaction and to introduce an outdated side-scroller is not progress.

So according to you only open world games with cutting edge graphics are progress?

Just cause you find it boring doesn't mean everyone does. You're using your opinion as a fact, you think it is factually bad because you subjectively need cutting edge graphics and open world to consider it worthy.

Btw 3D graphics aren't progress, we've had 3D graphics for years now. There is room for all kinds of games. If you don't like them don't play them but it has nothing to do with progress...

Plenty of good games are 2D (Zelda, older Pokemon games, older Final Fantasies, etc. etc.) Just because there are 3D versions now doesn't mean the 2D are now bad just because they're 2D.

So yeah no, Chronicles isn't bad just because it's 2D.

Yep some people might like it. - can't think who. Personally I hate d it enough to want to say something on here.

And I can't imagine how people can enjoy Syndicate (It's way worse than Unity in combat, depth, and story and Unity already had bad story)

but hey I'm not the one making a thread insulting the company and the fans of it just cause I think it's bad.

You are.

With a good enough storyline they can keep the formula going with the introduction of enhancements rather than a complete departure.

Syndicate has the worse story of the series. It smashes Green and Evie together when they had like 5 minutes of cutscenes together and it ends in an awful cliche that's so cliche the Queen comes and thanks you.

Next game Jesus Christ will come down from heaven and thank you for your efforts too. That's how cheesy and terrible it was.

I'm sure the company won't just listen to my voice. Especially if they are as you describe them. Anyway I didn't post on here to join in personal attacks.

Oh, and I think there's a ZX Spectrum emulator online.

Telling you that your argument is rude, obnoxious, immature, illogical, showing a notable lack of basic sense, and ignorant is not a personal attack, it's a fact.

Littleweasel
07-06-2016, 03:23 PM
i was on the wall about the games when china dropped but got i free and finally decided to give it a try a few months later and really enjoyed the game so bought russia and india also.
i personally enjoyed the 3 games and i really hope they make more of them as they are very enjoyable.
i think more people should give them a try before they judge them from a trailer you may be very surprised how good they actually are.

cawatrooper9
07-06-2016, 03:46 PM
The thing is, the parts that you take issue with: graphics, 2-dimensional gameplay, etc- these are all things that were easily and openly available to be known far prior to purchasing the game.

I get that you don't like it. I'm not a fan either- but I didn't really expect to be. I don't really like 2-D platformers either, but still decided to give it a try, and wasn't at all surprised when I hated it. But different strokes for different folks, so I'm glad that at least some people were able to enjoy it.

SixKeys
07-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Sidescrollers are not "outdated", they're just a different type of gameplay. Just like black-and-white photography is still being done today despite the fact that we now have color. It's just a way some people choose to express their artistic vision.

I didn't mind the idea behind Chronicles; they were blatant copies of Mark of the Ninja and Mark of the Ninja is fantastic. It was the execution that really failed the games. The art style was beautiful and the stealth was much more challenging than the main games, which is great, but the controls in Chronicles were bloody awful, the voice-acting was bad and the story was confusing.

Had the games been done with half as much care as Mark of the Ninja, they could have been great, but they weren't.

colin-www
07-06-2016, 10:01 PM
" So according to you only open world games with cutting edge graphics are progress? "

There's a clue in cutting edge there....

"Just cause you find it boring doesn't mean everyone does. You're using your opinion as a fact, you think it is factually bad because you subjectively need cutting edge graphics and open world to consider it worthy."

Was only stating that I found it boring

"Btw 3D graphics aren't progress, we've had 3D graphics for years now."

Kinda tough to get beyond 3d don't you think?

"Plenty of good games are 2D (Zelda, older Pokemon games, older Final Fantasies, etc. etc.) Just because there are 3D versions now doesn't mean the 2D are now bad just because they're 2D."
Yep there are some good 2d games.

"And I can't imagine how people can enjoy Syndicate (It's way worse than Unity in combat, depth, and story and Unity already had bad story)"

As you say - people like different things.

"but hey I'm not the one making a thread insulting the company and the fans of it just cause I think it's bad."

Was sharing an opinion in the hope that they don't head off down that route.

"Syndicate has the worse story of the series. It smashes Green and Evie together when they had like 5 minutes of cutscenes together and it ends in an awful cliche that's so cliche the Queen comes and thanks you.
Next game Jesus Christ will come down from heaven and thank you for your efforts too. That's how cheesy and terrible it was."

Yep, that wasn't a great bit. But the game was enjoyable.

"Telling you that your argument is rude, obnoxious, immature, illogical, showing a notable lack of basic sense, and ignorant is not a personal attack, it's a fact."

And that tells me a great deal about you. Really just do us all a favour and shelve your unwanted opinion. This was aimed at and hopefully read by the people that matter. Would you talk to someone like you do on here in real life? Judging by your number of posts you are a very opinionated and self-important individual who really should find something better to do with his time. Back under your bridge kid.

cawatrooper9
07-06-2016, 10:32 PM

https://media.playstation.com/is/image/SCEA/psvr-beauty-angled-imageblock-us-15mar16?$TwoColumn_Image$
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/davidewalt/files/2016/03/oculus-rift-vr-headset-1200x698.jpg

To name a few.

I think that's a pretty apt comparison, actually. Though VR is technically progress, are you really going to want every single game that comes out from now on to be strictly and exclusively VR, with no TV screen options?

Sesheenku
07-06-2016, 10:45 PM
" So according to you only open world games with cutting edge graphics are progress? "

There's a clue in cutting edge there....

"Just cause you find it boring doesn't mean everyone does. You're using your opinion as a fact, you think it is factually bad because you subjectively need cutting edge graphics and open world to consider it worthy."

Was only stating that I found it boring

"Btw 3D graphics aren't progress, we've had 3D graphics for years now."

"Plenty of good games are 2D (Zelda, older Pokemon games, older Final Fantasies, etc. etc.) Just because there are 3D versions now doesn't mean the 2D are now bad just because they're 2D."
Yep there are some good 2d games.

"And I can't imagine how people can enjoy Syndicate (It's way worse than Unity in combat, depth, and story and Unity already had bad story)"

As you say - people like different things.

"but hey I'm not the one making a thread insulting the company and the fans of it just cause I think it's bad."

Was sharing an opinion in the hope that they don't head off down that route.

"Syndicate has the worse story of the series. It smashes Green and Evie together when they had like 5 minutes of cutscenes together and it ends in an awful cliche that's so cliche the Queen comes and thanks you.
Next game Jesus Christ will come down from heaven and thank you for your efforts too. That's how cheesy and terrible it was."

Yep, that wasn't a great bit. But the game was enjoyable.

"Telling you that your argument is rude, obnoxious, immature, illogical, showing a notable lack of basic sense, and ignorant is not a personal attack, it's a fact."

And that tells me a great deal about you. Really just do us all a favour and shelve your unwanted opinion. This was aimed at and hopefully read by the people that matter. Would you talk to someone like you do on here in real life? Judging by your number of posts you are a very opinionated and self-important individual who really should find something better to do with his time. Back under your bridge kid.

They're not heading down a route... it's a separate game apart from the main series. You have no evidence to believe this. You saw something you didn't like and had a ridiculous knee jerk reaction and then when I came to correct your ignorance you claim it's a personal attack to wave away all responsibility.

Maybe English isn't your first language dear but the way you worded your posts was EXTREMELY rude and displayed great selfishness. I suggest you take more time to learn how to word things in a polite and logical way.

Everyone has shredded down your nonsensical argument. It is very clear that regardless of what you meant the way that you posted it came across a certain way and it was wrong.

That's all there is too it. You can keep shaking your head and saying it's all just a personal attack or you can submit, admit your failure, and learn and gain some respect.

There is no such thing as an outdated genre. Not in any kind of art/media. Genre is a type of variety, while popularity of said varieties varies with each generation they are never outdated, all of these genres have been around in some way or another throughout time.

In fact Zelda's N64 titles could be considered some of the earliest 3D action open world games.

Btw getting upset instead of taking valid criticism shows a great lack of maturity. I never called you anything directly, I said your post showed those traits. Apparently you are not capable of making that distinction.

A personal attack is directly insulting you in lieu of your argument.

Read this AGAIN.

Telling you that your argument is rude, obnoxious, immature, illogical, showing a notable lack of basic sense, and ignorant is not a personal attack, it's a fact.

There is no such attack present, all of my "Attacks" were aimed at your insubstantial arguments.

Oh and btw yes I do talk to people like that in real life. I'm not afraid to tell people they're wrong or that they're saying/doing dumb things.

ze_topazio
07-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Sidescrollers are not outdated, is a perfect valid style and genre, you don't like it? that's fine, but don't say outdated and talk about progress, that makes you sound like a kid.

Sesheenku
07-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Sidescrollers are not outdated, is a perfect valid style and genre, you don't like it? that's fine, but don't say outdated and talk about progress, that makes you sound like a kid.

Precisely ^ This is a succint way to express what I've been saying.

Ubi-Banshee
07-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Just a reminder that we all don't have to agree, just make sure you present your opinion in a respectful manner. Thanks! :o

seancass37
07-07-2016, 06:51 PM
i didn't care much for the 2D sidescolling gameplay either but i still biught them anyways for the historical factor especially playing a Russian assassin during the Russian Revolution. after all we had the American Revolution IN AC II, the French Revolution in Unity, so i guess it was Russia's turn

pacmanate
07-07-2016, 08:49 PM
I agree with OP.

The games sucked.
No Variation between the 3 games.
Insta deaths were horrible
The "Secret Code" hunt told us something we knew a year ago
The stories could be summarised in 1 sentence.

It was a cheap but massive stain on the AC franchise, all for money.

Sesheenku
07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
I agree with OP.

The games sucked.
No Variation between the 3 games.
Insta deaths were horrible
The "Secret Code" hunt told us something we knew a year ago
The stories could be summarised in 1 sentence.

It was a cheap but massive stain on the AC franchise, all for money.

Its quality had nothing to do with being a side scroller which is what OP is saying.

colin-www
09-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Beg your pardon, though on that point we do agree, the quality isn't great. Should never have hit the shelves.