PDA

View Full Version : Noob question

Kraive_Moar
07-05-2016, 07:43 PM
So I saw the game and pushed it to the back of my list to keep an eye on. Then I see the trailer and decide it is time to look into it a bit more. That trailer is just beautiful, the company hired to do it deserves a bonus. A bit reminiscent of ESO trailers before launch, but those were good too.

I see the posts about Archery and ranged combat, fine that's out. I'm okay with that, in most titles and combat games like these range has a distinct advantage and very few companies can balance it correctly. So they decided to just remove it, no big deal easy solution.

Now my question is on weapon variety at all? I see that each faction has an appropriate 2h weapon. Is that it? Are there options for sword & board, or dual daggers? Polearms, or Lances? Halberds or clubs?

Truth is I can understand the ease of giving each and every character in the game the exact same weapon type, the exact same skills, the exact same...everything. But if the only difference is the skin thrown on top, doesn't that feel shallow? When does it become more of a cop out in the name of balance than a solution to balance concerns?

BoldAlphawolf
07-05-2016, 09:18 PM
So I saw the game and pushed it to the back of my list to keep an eye on. Then I see the trailer and decide it is time to look into it a bit more. That trailer is just beautiful, the company hired to do it deserves a bonus. A bit reminiscent of ESO trailers before launch, but those were good too.

I see the posts about Archery and ranged combat, fine that's out. I'm okay with that, in most titles and combat games like these range has a distinct advantage and very few companies can balance it correctly. So they decided to just remove it, no big deal easy solution.

Now my question is on weapon variety at all? I see that each faction has an appropriate 2h weapon. Is that it? Are there options for sword & board, or dual daggers? Polearms, or Lances? Halberds or clubs?

Truth is I can understand the ease of giving each and every character in the game the exact same weapon type, the exact same skills, the exact same...everything. But if the only difference is the skin thrown on top, doesn't that feel shallow? When does it become more of a cop out in the name of balance than a solution to balance concerns?

No they have a sword and shield class too we dont know all the classes they will have out yet but it will be more then just a two handed weapon class for sure

Pallbearer7
07-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Just because a weapon is two-handed does not mean it controls exactly like every other two-handed weapon. If you fought with a two-handed sword all your life and you picked up an axe you would have some trouble.

There's definitely lots of different animations between the weapon types, so nothing to worry about there, it's not just a skin swap, using a different weapon LOOKS and feels different. Just as well, different classes all have different movesets and the ability to combo in different ways. They will have different stats, so playing as a different class will lend itself to a different kind of playstyle and you will have a different array of abilities you can use and situations that you're stronger in. Do not think that classes will all be similar depending on whether their weapon requires both hands or not.

Eidard
07-05-2016, 10:23 PM
As far as we know about classes.

Viking:

Confirmed:

Raider - Dane Axe

Speculated (based on in-game footage):

Sword + shield class
"Valkyria" - Spear + shield

Samurai:

Confirmed:

Kensai - nodachi
Orochi (original called Oni) - Katana

Suguoki - kanabo (kind of confirmed from some of the star players on the E3 I think)

Knight:

Confirmed:

Warden - longsword

Flail + shield
Halberd

Killerbrian26
07-06-2016, 10:21 PM
The develepors have stated that every class will have different weapons and that every faction WILL have multiple classes. Eidard already stated some of the classes so I won't bother but know that there will be more than what they have confirmed as of now.

MisterWillow
07-07-2016, 04:21 AM

Sword + shield class
"Valkyria" - Spear + shield

Valkyria is definite speculation, but the Sword & Shield Viking was on the site as the Raider for a year, and I highly doubt he was scrapped. He'll just have a different name when we see him again.

Suguoki - kanabo (kind of confirmed from some of the star players on the E3 I think)

None of the Star Players knows enough to confirm him (unless Kaze knows something the rest of us don't), but the major indication that points to him being a legit Hero/class is the developer walkthrough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k) of the Viking mission (around 3:00), in which Geoff gives him a proper name, which seems odd if he weren't playable.

Halberd

Same thing. In the masterclass, someone said something about 'Lawbringer' and said that Holden Cross, in the Knight mission, was a Lawbringer, leading to people assuming a Hero/class exists with his weapon.