PDA

View Full Version : A new concept, or maybe not?

SodBuster43
01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
I recently uploaded my first skin to IL-2 skins. It was not weathered that much but had a little dirt and grime on it already. Work continues however.

My new concept, as work in progress continues to weather your pet project, why not use it like in real life while flying missions online or offline for that matter. Ideally you should be starting out with a fresh shiny new skin right off the assembly line and flown by a nice looking lady ferry pilot to its point of delivery.

From there it is alocated to a given theater to fight and begin to show some wear. As time goes by you can slowly add the wear and tear detail as if it was slowly taking on that scarred battle hardened look.

Of course, seasonal repaints might set you back a bit but the fun thing is always using the same bitmap file for any work done as if it were your own plane. Also, nose art could change at your whim etc. etc.

Sounded like a fun idea http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Think I'll start soon with my favorite aircraft of all, the P-47D Razornback Version. Of course being single now, I might have to buy that nice looking ferry pilot a drink or two.

LOL, if you're married or have a lady friend with a sense of humor, why not let them be the ferry pilot and deliver your plane from point A to point B, virtually in the game of course.

Salute!!!
SodBuster43

SodBuster43
01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
I recently uploaded my first skin to IL-2 skins. It was not weathered that much but had a little dirt and grime on it already. Work continues however.

My new concept, as work in progress continues to weather your pet project, why not use it like in real life while flying missions online or offline for that matter. Ideally you should be starting out with a fresh shiny new skin right off the assembly line and flown by a nice looking lady ferry pilot to its point of delivery.

From there it is alocated to a given theater to fight and begin to show some wear. As time goes by you can slowly add the wear and tear detail as if it was slowly taking on that scarred battle hardened look.

Of course, seasonal repaints might set you back a bit but the fun thing is always using the same bitmap file for any work done as if it were your own plane. Also, nose art could change at your whim etc. etc.

Sounded like a fun idea http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Think I'll start soon with my favorite aircraft of all, the P-47D Razornback Version. Of course being single now, I might have to buy that nice looking ferry pilot a drink or two.

LOL, if you're married or have a lady friend with a sense of humor, why not let them be the ferry pilot and deliver your plane from point A to point B, virtually in the game of course.

Salute!!!
SodBuster43

tsisqua
01-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Great idea. However, I don't have any lady friends, being married http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.uploadit.org/files/010903-nedChristie.jpg
Tsalagi Asgaya Galvladi

H.Keller
01-26-2004, 09:24 PM
I've actually been doing this for a while, my Emil is so dirty and scratched that I think I'll have to crash her so I can get a new one. I have even added a sprayed-on type winter camo and then used the eraser tool, and the blur tool, in PS to give it that "didn't quite get all the winter camo covered up look".

It's amazing how much better a skin looks when you spend a lot of time on it.

One thing that I have found is that you can never have too much dirt on your plane. This is how I do it:
I just use a "dirt brown" color and go crazy with a weird shaped brush, then I use the smudge tool to move it around, and then use the blur tool to really mash it in. Then all you have to do is set the opacity level to the desired darkness and voila! Then I do it all over again with black and other shades of brown and green on different layers.

*Edit*

I just looked at your He-111 on IL2 Skins and I must say it looks damn good. How did you find working with that skin? I found that getting the tail insignia to line up is almost impossible; one of the stranger skins to work with. Good job

Meine Ehre hei├čt Treue!

[This message was edited by H.Keller on Mon January 26 2004 at 08:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by H.Keller on Mon January 26 2004 at 08:32 PM.]