PDA

View Full Version : What Goes Up, Must Come Down - The Terrain Verticality Issue

Sorrosyss
07-02-2016, 12:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CI0LyQq.jpg

With the more recent releases in Unity and Syndicate, we have seen the playable areas increasing in verticality. Some of the buildings in Victorian London were very high, necessitating the developers to wisely introduce the rope launcher in order to scale them quickly. For the most part it was widely well received by players, especially as it still gave you the option to manually climb if that was your preference.

Whilst we have theoretically solved going up, what of getting down? Traditionally this has been the function of the haystacks throughout the series, as you instantly get back to the ground. However, this has not always been an immediate resolution. For example, on some of the buildings there would typically be only the one haystack back down - and of course it would be at the other end of the roof to which you are standing. In these circumstances, you would have to decide either to scale across the roof, sometimes having to dispatch enemies, or to instead slowly climb your way back down. Either way, there is a delay compared to how fast you can immediately get up.

So what could we do to try and improve the immediate descent? After all, this may well be something that could be applied to very high trees or mountains going forwards, depending on future settings. Other open world titles have come up with their own solutions. We often see parachutes or ziplines being used (both of which AC has seen previously), but when I think of the Assassins you can't help but see their association with birds. As with the Batman Arkham games, what if we could keep to the theme and glide down via capes?

http://i.imgur.com/6mcEYeG.png

Admittedly the technology of history would make the believability of this a little tricky. But thats where we could typically turn to everyone's favourite macguffins - the Pieces of Eden. As with the rope launcher, going back further in history would make these gameplay mechanics difficult to incorporate on pure realism. But if we had a Piece of Eden that could pull us to rooftops, or enable us to float, or perhaps teleport down to the ground - we could have a solution. I suppose there is an argument that being seen floating down from a roof would kind of break your incognito status, but then you could also argue firing a rope up a building and climbing it makes you look like a burglar to all and sundry too.

Whilst this is a minor issue, I do think it is something that could be incorporated to try and further improve our navigation abilities. So long as the old options remain, it can't hurt to have some variety.

Dead1y-Derri
07-02-2016, 02:17 PM
To be honest the only viable option would be a parachute as that way it can still remain reasonably immersive to any time frame as we saw parachutes back in AC Brotherhood and they worked well.

SixKeys
07-02-2016, 05:19 PM
I prefer having as few historical anachronisms as possible. AC2/ACB got away with some of their most outlandish weapons/tools because Leonardo da Vinci WAS a genius ahead of his time IRL. But I was never a big fan of the hookblade or the rope launcher. Not only were they physically implausible but it was never explained how certain sects of the brotherhood got such advanced weapons. So I'm opposed to a gliding cape or any similar device that goes against historical accuracy. Hated the parachute as well, it just looked ridiculous how Ezio pulled it out of his *** and how it disappeared into thin air.

I believe "parkour down" is the solution, but it doesn't work as well as it should. It was improved in Syndicate, but still feels a little slow and clunky. If it actually worked the way we first saw it in the Unity Notre Dame demo, it would be ideal. Just press parkour down when on top of a building in any direction and the assassin would automatically find the most efficient path down. The base jump in the Unity demo was awesome, but for some reason it was really difficult to pull off in the game, it required some very specific circumstances. Basically they need to design to the architecture so that it serves the parkour, instead of adjusting the parkour around increasingly complex architecture. It can be done without sacrificing historical accuracy too much as the early games prove.

Sushiglutton
07-02-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm a bit sceptical about gadgets, I prefer pure parkour as nature intended it. I prefer having specific stuff in the enviroment that can be used (like the lifts) over the assassin carrying a bunch of stuff. And I prefer grounded things like a hookblade over magical teleportation devices. In Egypt I think the houses will be lower and perhaps we can slide off pyramids quickly :p. In PoP they used these:

https://ugnnultragamingnewsnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sliding-down-curtains.jpg?w=768&h=575

Which I thought worked pretty well. Could also be ropes, like an upside down lift to get quickly to the ground etc.

Basically they need to design to the architecture so that it serves the parkour, instead of adjusting the parkour around increasingly complex architecture. It can be done without sacrificing historical accuracy too much as the early games prove.

This seems like a great point to me.

MikeFNY
07-02-2016, 06:54 PM
The rope launcher made the series comic-al enough, I don't believe we need batman-like wings to parkour down.

It seems you forgot how easy it was to parkour down in Revelations and also in Black Flag and Rogue(if I'm not wrong) where you would drop yourself as if falling to your death and hit the "O" button whenever you wanted to stop the descent.

The hookblade in Revelations served this purpose to perfection.

And then I cannot understand why we want to kill what made the game so famous, the climbing and descending of buildings. Not to mention that what you're suggesting would make it incredibly easy to avoid enemies that are chasing you.

Heck, I can't believe I'm again talking about wings :)

flavorcountry19
07-02-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm a bit sceptical about gadgets, I prefer pure parkour as nature intended it. I prefer having specific stuff in the enviroment that can be used (like the lifts) over the assassin carrying a bunch of stuff. And I prefer grounded things like a hookblade over magical teleportation devices. In Egypt I think the houses will be lower and perhaps we can slide off pyramids quickly :p. In PoP they used these:

https://ugnnultragamingnewsnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sliding-down-curtains.jpg?w=768&h=575

Which I thought worked pretty well. Could also be ropes, like an upside down lift to get quickly to the ground etc.

This seems like a great point to me.

Excellent posts and very true. we need to stray away from gadgets and go back to what made the first AC so memorable. And if they were to get parkour down to work like that unity video it would be absolutly amazing! and yes using the enviroment like in that prince of persia image is a excellent idea as well.

flavorcountry19
07-02-2016, 08:02 PM
and also no more of this handholding ledge bull crap. if i want to jump from one building to another and i might fall and get hurt? i want to make that choice i dont want my character being glued to the ledge and my only option is using the rope launcher or climbing down the side of the building.

it comepletly destroys all since of momentum i have when running.

Sesheenku
07-03-2016, 11:06 AM
I thought parkour down was fine tbh. Don't even have to look at the first hop down really.

Btw you're wrong about Syndicate adding the launcher for verticality, they added it for distance. London had wide streets and they added it to prevent rooftop traversal becoming too bothersome to be convenient.

Even in Unity though I could run forever easily, very rarely making a mistake due to just blazing through. I really like the new system quite frankly and this is one thing I think they should just keep and refine. I DON'T like comicy things like the rope launcher (although I understood the point of it, like I said, wide streets.)

LoyalACFan
07-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Parkour Down is already the solution you're looking for, as others have posted. Hell, even left in its exact current incarnation, I think it functions perfectly. It may not be as stylish as it looked in the Unity E3 demo and there's definitely room for some aesthetic redressing, but you can get from rooftop to ground on almost any generic building virtually as fast as you could with a Leap of Faith. The absolute last thing I want from this series is some cartoony BS gadgetry that saves me the four extra seconds it would take to just climb down.

That said, I think Watch_Dogs_2 has a cool idea in that the protagonist of that game (Marcus, I think?) will just do an outward leap when you "parkour down" off the side of a short, 1-2 story building. The animation has sort of a punk-youth vibe with fancy flips and acrobatics that wouldn't necessarily fit in AC, but mechanically I think it maintains momentum better than simply rolling off the ledge and falling straight down. And if the rumors about the Egypt/Greece/Rome games are true, we'd be seeing a lot of architecture around that height.

BananaBlighter
07-03-2016, 08:58 PM
I think parkour down is fine. It was a great improvement in Unity and added a lot of depth and opportunities with the control system, as well as being very fluid (though I think Syndicate did remove some of its fluidity).

Basically they need to design to the architecture so that it serves the parkour, instead of adjusting the parkour around increasingly complex architecture. It can be done without sacrificing historical accuracy too much as the early games prove.

I get what you mean, in that the increasingly complex architecture has made the current parkour systems very inconsistent, but TBH I'd much rather that to having the cities all blocky again. It was ok for the first few games, especially the AC1, because of it's setting and because that was 2007, but had Syndicate come out with a London looking like that then it would not have been received well. That kind of architecture is too Minecraft-like nowadays.

Fatal-Feit
07-03-2016, 09:06 PM
I thought parkour down was fine tbh. Don't even have to look at the first hop down really.

Even in Unity though I could run forever easily, very rarely making a mistake due to just blazing through. I really like the new system quite frankly and this is one thing I think they should just keep and refine. I DON'T like comicy things like the rope launcher (although I understood the point of it, like I said, wide streets.)

I'm of the same opinion. I REALLY despise navigation gadgets like the Rope Launcher. It's a comical shortcut that removes depth from the game. I like the Hookblade because it was realistically as plausible as the hidden blades itself and actually played a significant role throughout the 3 core pillars of gameplay. You can use it in many ways for stealth such as having a longer ledge grab or escaping enemies with its hook-and-run; hook-counter and counter-steal for combat; and of course it functions with chase-breakers and other things for navigation/free-running. It transcended being just a mere gimmick whereas the Rope Launcher felt rather underdeveloped and didn't need to exist (as it also fought against the use of having vehicles in the first place), Imo. And as ''optional'' as it appears to be, it's really not. It's required for certain missions, optional objectives, achievements, etc. The developers wouldn't work on a mechanic like that without trying to strong-arm their players into using it every now and then. I mean, I've tried a Rope Launcher-less playthrough...

The last thing we should have is a gliding ability that's essentially the Rope Launcher in reverse.

I really dig the idea of these things. What do we call them? Chase-breakers? :P Rogue has something almost exactly like that, except the entire flag goes down with you. I've been hoping they'd get rid of the haystacks and use ''chase-breakers'' as the new shortcut for reaching land, but it won't be as iconic and eagle-ly.

SixKeys
07-04-2016, 12:48 AM
I get what you mean, in that the increasingly complex architecture has made the current parkour systems very inconsistent, but TBH I'd much rather that to having the cities all blocky again. It was ok for the first few games, especially the AC1, because of it's setting and because that was 2007, but had Syndicate come out with a London looking like that then it would not have been received well. That kind of architecture is too Minecraft-like nowadays.

To each their own. I still have 1000x more fun parkouring in the old games than I do in the newer ones. The cities in these games have always been beautiful, but the old ones didn't have a million chimneys and other snags on the rooftops to get stuck on.

flavorcountry19
07-04-2016, 03:35 AM
To each their own. I still have 1000x more fun parkouring in the old games than I do in the newer ones. The cities in these games have always been beautiful, but the old ones didn't have a million chimneys and other snags on the rooftops to get stuck on.

Yep same here! AC had the best moments cause they built the world to work for it! Places you could see they put all these beams together to make it so you can have a cool smooth parkour moment with no stopping!

I do love syndicate and think it's a great game but I don't think anything will top AC1!

Sesheenku
07-04-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm of the same opinion. I REALLY despise navigation gadgets like the Rope Launcher. It's a comical shortcut that removes depth from the game. I like the Hookblade because it was realistically as plausible as the hidden blades itself and actually played a significant role throughout the 3 core pillars of gameplay. You can use it in many ways for stealth such as having a longer ledge grab or escaping enemies with its hook-and-run; hook-counter and counter-steal for combat; and of course it functions with chase-breakers and other things for navigation/free-running. It transcended being just a mere gimmick whereas the Rope Launcher felt rather underdeveloped and didn't need to exist (as it also fought against the use of having vehicles in the first place), Imo. And as ''optional'' as it appears to be, it's really not. It's required for certain missions, optional objectives, achievements, etc. The developers wouldn't work on a mechanic like that without trying to strong-arm their players into using it every now and then. I mean, I've tried a Rope Launcher-less playthrough...

The last thing we should have is a gliding ability that's essentially the Rope Launcher in reverse.

I despised the batmanification of it tbh. Let Batman be Batman okay? I want my AC to be AC. I don't want Batmans combat (Actually sick of it and it was never that bloody amazing in the first place outside of stealth) and I don't want nonsensical gadgets.

I just don't wanna see that anymore.

I'm gonna stop now before this turns into another tl;dr about my hate for Syndicate overall.

Bottom line, yes rope launcher is awful and I never ever wanna see anything like it again in my AC. It's superfluous...

Personally the new parkour ruined the old one for me. The new one is so fluid and now almost nothing can stop you.

I've never gotten snagged in Unity/Syndicate in fact most of my parkour problems were with 3 when they changed the controls and stuffed even more functions into the shoulder buttons and triggers.

cawatrooper9
07-05-2016, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't mind a Arkham style cape glide for the modern segments, but I don't think we need it in the past.

Keep in mind, rumors heavily suggest that the series is headed to the classical era for a while- hulking structures permeating cities won't be quite as frequent of a problem if that's the case.

I do think it's funny, though, that people complain about realism in regards to this idea- from the very first game, the go to method of getting to street level has been jumping in a cart of hay. That's not realistic at all, and I wouldn't mind seeing this idea revamped a little.

SixKeys
07-06-2016, 12:05 AM
I do think it's funny, though, that people complain about realism in regards to this idea- from the very first game, the go to method of getting to street level has been jumping in a cart of hay. That's not realistic at all, and I wouldn't mind seeing this idea revamped a little.

There will always be things in the games that stretch the imagination to ludicrous degrees. The haybale thing is a bit silly, but at least it kinda makes sense in that action movie-type of way, where you know there are at least certain heights that experienced stuntmen can jump from that are plausible in the real world.

The rope launcher, OTOH, has no basis in the real world, not even in 2016, yet we're supposed to believe the brotherhood used it extensively in the Victorian age. It barely makes sense for Batman who is a comic book character, it makes even less sense for a world that at least used to pride itself on historical accuracy.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing the old haybale idea revamped, either. I already mentioned that the way the Unity demo did it was great, but for some reason it didn't really carry over into the actual game.

Megas_Doux
07-06-2016, 03:35 AM
I'm alone here, but I like the new parkour system WAY more than in the old games. Yes!!!! it's too automatic, but I have way better control at navigation in Syndicate than ever before. Now, talking about it I couldn't help but notice this:

The rope launcher, OTOH, has no basis in the real world, not even in 2016, yet we're supposed to believe the brotherhood used it extensively in the Victorian age. It barely makes sense for Batman who is a comic book character, it makes even less sense for a world that at least used to pride itself on historical accuracy.

I do agree with you.....

Rope Launcher you bad nonsensical, anachronic gadget!!!! Why can't you be more realistic like the "oh it doesn't matter the necessary technology wasn't invented for four centuries" super accurate hidden gun....Every decent and respectable secret society back in the day had one of those...And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1hwKDXvmH0

Jousting?????? Hell no!!!!!!! Everybody's favorite sport during the XV century- for the rich, that is- was gliding HUNDREDS of meters high in the air thanks to wood fires while hitting moving targets with fireballs!!!!!! I've seen it countless of times in EVERY history book :rolleyes:

Meh! Out of Syndicate and AC problems in general, the Rope Launcher was the least critical of them. In fact, I think the developers did a good job with what they had in terms of adapting navigation to a whole different setting/playground. To me Rope launcher was satisfactorily implemented for what it was: A way to help the players navigate through wide streets and high buildings.

SixKeys
07-06-2016, 03:54 AM
I'm alone here, but I like the new parkour system WAY more than in the old games. Yes!!!! it's too automatic, but I have way better control at navigation in Syndicate than ever before. Now, talking about it I couldn't help but notice this:

I do agree with you.....

Rope Launcher you bad nonsensical, anachronic gadget!!!! Why can't you be more realistic like the "oh it doesn't matter the necessary technology wasn't invented for four centuries" super accurate hidden gun....Every decent and respectable secret society back in the day had one of those...And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1hwKDXvmH0

Jousting?????? Hell no!!!!!!! Everybody's favorite sport during the XV century- for the rich, that is- was gliding HUNDREDS of meters high in the air thanks to wood fires while hitting moving targets with fireballs!!!!!! I've seen it countless of times in EVERY history book :rolleyes:

Meh! Out of Syndicate and AC problems in general, the Rope Launcher was the least critical of them. In fact, I think the developers did a good job with what they had in terms of adapting navigation to a whole different setting/playground. To me Rope launcher was satisfactorily implemented for what it was: A way to help the players navigate to wide streets and high buildings.

I believe I said earlier that Leonardo's machines get a pass from me because the machines in the games WERE based on actual historical designs that, at least in theory, could have actually worked IRL. A working prototype of the tank has been successfully created IRL, based on his original vision. Leo was ahead of his time. They didn't just pull a random futuristic tank out of their *** and go "I 'unno where it came from, it's just there, okay? don't question it". Which is exactly what they did with the rope launcher.

I'm more forgiving with gadgets that are explained properly, like Alta´r's hidden gun which was made with TWCB technology. At least that's an explanation that fits the lore. They acknowledged that there was NO other way for that technology to exist that long ago, so they flat-out made it alien in origin. Syndicate tried to go "um yeah, Alexander Graham Bell totally designed this device 200 years ago that no-one in today's world has ever been able to successfully build ever since". Yeah, no. He may have been a smart guy, but not THAT smart.

Sesheenku
07-06-2016, 05:11 AM
I'm alone here, but I like the new parkour system WAY more than in the old games. Yes!!!! it's too automatic, but I have way better control at navigation in Syndicate than ever before. Now, talking about it I couldn't help but notice this

You're not alone.

I can hardly play the old ones anymore. I believe the new parkour is 100% superior in every conceivable way.

Unity imo is a masterpiece AC wise. Much like AC2, a near perfect enhancement of old mechanics and an plethora of excellent new features.

Megas_Doux
07-06-2016, 05:13 AM
I believe I said earlier that Leonardo's machines get a pass from me because the machines in the games WERE based on actual historical designs that, at least in theory, could have actually worked IRL..

Those get a pass because you like them, as simple as that. The fact you are not that "acquiescent" with parachute despite it was also a creation from Da Vinci and a WAY more plausible one than the flying machine -aerodynamics wise- supports my point :p

Not that there's something wrong with that, but you lost me at "used to pride itself on historical accuracy" mostly taking into consideration that you could BUY ammo for that "it would have been impossible if it wasn't by that ancient tech" weapon on the Blacksmith next door. That is like if was able to buy antimatter for my "high end vehicle" in the hardware store near my house :p

Hey, now that I give it thought, Ezio could buy parachutes at every tailor store of Constantinople LOL.

flavorcountry19
07-06-2016, 07:19 AM
The only thing that really needs to be said about the launcher is this.

The games have been built around being able to CLIMB everything, for many years. And that is part of the joy I get out of this series. There is no need for a device that allows us to just zip to the top of a building in 2 seconds.

Stick to the climbing.

Sesheenku
07-06-2016, 07:28 AM
The only thing that really needs to be said about the launcher is this.

The games have been built around being able to CLIMB everything, for many years. And that is part of the joy I get out of this series. There is no need for a device that allows us to just zip to the top of a building in 2 seconds.

Stick to the climbing.

It was necessary due to the distance between buildings. London had wide streets.

I hate it but it was useful.

cawatrooper9
07-06-2016, 03:51 PM
There will always be things in the games that stretch the imagination to ludicrous degrees. The haybale thing is a bit silly, but at least it kinda makes sense in that action movie-type of way, where you know there are at least certain heights that experienced stuntmen can jump from that are plausible in the real world.

I mean, to me this sounds like a simple case of it being easier to "believe" which ever method one likes more. I don't think it's at all fair to say that either of these methods is more or less ridiculous than the other (because let's be real, they're both quite silly) so I'm afraid we're simply going to have to agree to disagree.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing the old haybale idea revamped, either. I already mentioned that the way the Unity demo did it was great, but for some reason it didn't really carry over into the actual game.
Yeah, the controlled descent looked fantastic in that demo. I mean, we sort of have it now, but it basically looks like an automated version of simply releasing wall/catching/repeating that we could do in the older games.

MikeFNY
07-06-2016, 05:06 PM
I mean, to me this sounds like a simple case of it being easier to "believe" which ever method one likes more. I don't think it's at all fair to say that either of these methods is more or less ridiculous than the other (because let's be real, they're both quite silly) so I'm afraid we're simply going to have to agree to disagree.

Only that the way you put it seems you are ready to accept every new "gadget" introduced in the series because what is silly for me is pure genius to you, and vice versa.

But we've been through this before :)

It was necessary due to the distance between buildings. London had wide streets.

I hate it but it was useful.

I only used it when chasing collectibles, never in main missions, unless I was forced by the mission design.

Ureh
07-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Controlled descent works very well in most cases.

Like cawatrooper said, I wouldn't mind a wingsuit or parachute if they ever decided to truly expand on the present day gameplay.

The piece of eden with teleportation sounds like an idea for a multiplayer mode (Artifact Assault!?!? or any other mode really). Not saying it can't work or won't be fun, but it does sound very different.... like they would have to give us more control over the PoE gameplay. They haven't really put much thought into incorporating the pieces of eden into gameplay, know what I mean? Like in ACB all you did was just hold the button down for a few missions, AC3 we held down a button. They could definitely expand past that point but it's a huge change. Gameplay would probably turn into Dishonored's blink ability where we can use it for platforming and combat.

SixKeys
07-06-2016, 09:11 PM
The piece of eden with teleportation sounds like an idea for a multiplayer mode (Artifact Assault!?!? or any other mode really). Not saying it can't work or won't be fun, but it does sound very different.... like they would have to give us more control over the PoE gameplay. They haven't really put much thought into incorporating the pieces of eden into gameplay, know what I mean? Like in ACB all you did was just hold the button down for a few missions, AC3 we held down a button. They could definitely expand past that point but it's a huge change. Gameplay would probably turn into Dishonored's blink ability where we can use it for platforming and combat.

This is a good idea. So far PoEs that we wield have mostly been weapons or armor shields, which only have one function. It would be interesting to wield a PoE that gives you entirely different powers whilst not making you physically stronger.

cawatrooper9
07-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Only that the way you put it seems you are ready to accept every new "gadget" introduced in the series because what is silly for me is pure genius to you, and vice versa.

Not really, friend- merely that I recognize that everyone has their line drawn somewhere, and I'm just pointing out that in something this subjective it's hard to say whether one option or the other is more ridiculous.

MikeFNY
07-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Not really, friend- merely that I recognize that everyone has their line drawn somewhere, and I'm just pointing out that in something this subjective it's hard to say whether one option or the other is more ridiculous.

Yes, and trust me, we fully agree on this.

But the problem is that I may draw a line that says the rope launcher is already a ridiculous weapon to have at your disposal yet others say they like it.

So the question is: How further can you go with this line?

I'm afraid the moment they introduced the rope launcher they created a precedent which indeed says "everything is permitted".

cawatrooper9
07-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Yes, and trust me, we fully agree on this.

But the problem is that I may draw a line that says the rope launcher is already a ridiculous weapon to have at your disposal yet others say they like it.

So the question is: How further can you go with this line?

I'm afraid the moment they introduced the rope launcher they created a precedent which indeed says "everything is permitted".

I agree that a rope launcher requires some form of suspension of disbelief, but it's certainly not alone in that. I feel like we may be talking in circles at this point, but I simply do not find the rope launcher to be so insanely unbelievable as to make that claim viable. It's not as if the Assassin has superpowers like teleportation or ... x-ray vision ;)

Ubi-Banshee
07-07-2016, 03:55 PM
These are all great suggestions, thanks guys! Gonna put together another feedback list on this topic - keep the conversation flowing :D

Rugterwyper32
07-07-2016, 07:36 PM
To date, my favorite free running is definitely Unity's. The only thing I feel it needs is a bit of fluidity. However, I don't mind gadgets to get across large gaps. Specially the hookblade, I always liked it. However, I'd prefer if it were something you had to set up as you progressed to the game rather than just something that you can quickly do with the simple press of a button or that's just set up already like the hookblade routes in Revelations.
And then thinking back to Revelations, I remembered the small detail that was never really useful but still neat of opening some wells with bombs to create more hiding spots. What if we had something more along the lines of the rope arrows from the Tomb Raider reboot? Find spots where you could create routes via rope to cross over larger gaps or whatnot. Or for some of the larger, more complicated buildings that seem to have nowhere to grab onto easily, what if we needed to use that to create ways to climb to other elements you can actually grab and whatnot?
I dunno, just an idea that suddenly popped up. Having the possibility of creating other routes across/up to certain things would make for some interesting possibilities, I think.

cawatrooper9
07-07-2016, 07:55 PM
And then thinking back to Revelations, I remembered the small detail that was never really useful but still neat of opening some wells with bombs to create more hiding spots. What if we had something more along the lines of the rope arrows from the Tomb Raider reboot? Find spots where you could create routes via rope to cross over larger gaps or whatnot. Or for some of the larger, more complicated buildings that seem to have nowhere to grab onto easily, what if we needed to use that to create ways to climb to other elements you can actually grab and whatnot?
I think.

Interesting thought. What do you guys think? Would anchor points like this be less intrusive on the HUD than what we have now, or more so?

Personally I think it's a little video-gamey to me, but I can still totally see the appeal of it.

Sesheenku
07-08-2016, 11:05 PM
I mean we can already jump down ridiculous heights and land on our feet onto tiny little ropes.

Using some sort of rope arrow to cross stuff is better than the rope launcher, it's ever so slightly more realistic.

D.I.D.
07-20-2016, 05:29 PM
The simplest thing is just to have a rope you attach to the stone and slide down to the ground from it, like boulderers do.

Speaking of which, and having gone bouldering myself, I'm really hoping that the tech in Grow Home (and the new sequel) is a test bed for a new AC climbing tech. If they can make the aim and/or the instant taps faster, I'd like to climb like this in AC:

https://youtu.be/hgSO4hZlBHw

Only thing is, Grow worked because you had a cartoon world and a robot. It's potentially a programming nightmare if you have a ragdoll human whose limbs must not do anything visually freakish. But I live in hope.

I'm in line with the people who think we should climb up and that this is fun in itself, but I appreciate the argument that we can't get horizontal movement high up on "spiky" structures, i.e. buildings with rows of spires. I'd like a swinging rope for that, rather than a rope launcher, and maybe gloves with sharpened finger tips for grabbing the surface you swing to. So, you can swing and grab, or you can swing and leap off the rope and then grab the surface you hit. You lose a little height every time, but you get more control and something exciting to do. They seem to have had something like this in mind for Syndicate/Victory's target footage, but maybe it was too much work at the time. Perhaps with less time pressure we could get this feature.

pacmanate
07-21-2016, 11:08 AM
A reason why Parkour down doesnt work like the Unity video is because we can take too much fall damage, that is the problem.

In Syndicate on my second playthrough right now, I dont have to parkour down more than 2 times off a 2 story building because I can take so much fall damage and I think that is the problem. If we took more damage from falling off stuff, Parkour down would look as flashy as the Unity video.