PDA

View Full Version : Lawbringer VS Marauder

ZenBearV13
07-01-2016, 05:04 PM
What do you think will be the difference? It looks like the Lawbringer's axe is longer, more a pole axe than a great axe, but they're still both two handed axes. I'm a bit disappointed in the decision to have two classes with such similar weapons. If this is an indication of intent for not merely class role parallels, but actual weapon parallels throughout the game, then maybe it means Knights and Vikings both will have S&B classes.

Thoughts?

waraidako
07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
First of all, Raider, right?

Secondly, it would be pretty funny if they both behave the same way, because then you'd have two different weapons, neither of which is being used realistically. The dane axe wasn't a big brutish hacking weapon it is portrayed as in popular media. It was a finesse weapon, meant to be used to catch an opponent off guard, hook their legs, shield, weapons, and arms with the horns of the axe. Stab with the point, sweeping cuts with the blade. It would actually suck pretty hard as a hacking weapon, since the blade was forged so thin in order to keep it light and fast. It's a weapon for killing people, not chopping firewood.

But then again I haven't played the game, so I don't actually know how it feels to use it. I do hope it feels less "generic barbarian" than it looks.

MisterWillow
07-01-2016, 09:31 PM

I actually think Marauder is a more natural fit for a hulking dude with a Dane axe. Raider felt right for the sword and shield Hero they had on the site last year, and I don't know why they changed it.

Secondly, it would be pretty funny if they both behave the same way, because then you'd have two different weapons, neither of which is being used realistically. The dane axe wasn't a big brutish hacking weapon it is portrayed as in popular media. It was a finesse weapon, meant to be used to catch an opponent off guard, hook their legs, shield, weapons, and arms with the horns of the axe. Stab with the point, sweeping cuts with the blade. It would actually suck pretty hard as a hacking weapon, since the blade was forged so thin in order to keep it light and fast. It's a weapon for killing people, not chopping firewood.

I suppose most of that would be very difficult to translate into their combat system. I was hoping some hooking was involved in guard breaks (and there might be, I didn't get to mess with it as long as I would have liked), but as far as normal Art of Battle mechanics, it is more about chopping wood and less on, say, isolating limbs or tripping people. Some of the light attacks looked closer to realistic manoeuvres, though, which I liked.

But then again I haven't played the game, so I don't actually know how it feels to use it. I do hope it feels less "generic barbarian" than it looks.

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/awkward.gif

It did feel a little more Conan than I might have liked... However, that was a single Hero, so the other Vikings might not feel that way. What little you can see of the Shield Viking looks a lot less 'barbarian'.

Willaguy2010
07-01-2016, 10:42 PM
The Raider is a Champion class, like the Kensei and the Warden. The Lawbringer is a Tank class, like the Shugoki. So I wouldn't say there are class parallels, though the weapons are a bit similiar. I believe the poleaxe will be a more ranged weapon than the Dane axe, keeping people at distance with long reach.

ZenBearV13
07-03-2016, 06:56 AM

Yup, my B.

I get your meaning, but let's be frank here; if you're that big, you don't just finesse. You brute strength the F out of everyone you meet, and your finesse, while potent, looks like anything but. I would like to see guard breaks that hook weapons, arms, etc. but it would be a bit tough to work out graphically with different character models. Swings and stabs are much easier, and as stated the light attack combos are legit.

The Raider is a Champion class, like the Kensei and the Warden. The Lawbringer is a Tank class, like the Shugoki. So I wouldn't say there are class parallels, though the weapons are a bit similiar. I believe the poleaxe will be a more ranged weapon than the Dane axe, keeping people at distance with long reach.

Still a little disappointed/surprised the shield knight isn't the Tank. I wonder what role it will play, then. Only other official "class" is assassin, which would be interesting. A flail is a very deadly weapon.

Would have liked to see a polearm knight that isn't quite so hulking. That's a weapon I think would suit a finesse style. Perhaps that's reserved for the naginata samurai?