PDA

View Full Version : Uplay client not seeing my installed game folders

Casual_Chris03
07-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Please update the Uplay client, it's not working as it should.

I've recently reinstalled my OS, and Uplay after that. My game folders are located on my D: drive, so no loss there. In the Uplay client, under Settings, I've changed the "Default game installation location" to point to my Uplay games folder (D:\uplay) - however in the Uplay client it shows my game location as D:/uplay/ - note the different slashes.

Ok, maybe not that big problem how the location is presented. BUT, when I select a game to play, eg. Far Cry 4, it shows me the Download button, and a link below saying "Locate installed game".

WHY Ubisoft? I've already changed the setting in Uplay to point ot my game installation folder. Why do I need to manually go and point each game to it's game folder?
What is the whole point of setting my "Default game installation location" if Uplay can't look in that folder for my installed game files?

Also, for some reason Uplay don't see my Far Cry 3 game files, even after I've manually selected my Far Cry 3 game folder. So now I have to re-download a game, which I already have the files for, because Uplay can't seem to see the files in the folder that I've pointed it to.

Ubi-Cain
07-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi Chris,

The default location is used for some older games that cannot be installed to a custom location. It is also used as the default suggestion when installing a new game rather than having every game suggesting a different location and having to change it.

What you suggested however is something we're considering for the future, and it has been the idea since we initially implemented a restore from backup function some time ago but it's currently not topping our list of features to be worked on yet.

/Cain

Casual_Chris03
07-02-2016, 07:08 PM
I know what default location is, and new games are installed to the default location.

But clearly the default location isn't used to find games that's already installed, and I have to point each game to it's game folder inside the default location.

I don't have this problem with that other big name game client.

...it has been the idea since we initially implemented a restore from backup function some time ago but it's currently not topping our list of features to be worked on yet.

What, a restore from backup has been initially implemented? Where is it, because restore is not working. Or it's not even part of the uPlay client.
What's the point of not having a restore function? So for me to play Far Cry 3, I have to re-download the game files again - even though I have a backup of the game files in my default location, which I've set in the uPlay client.

Can't believe that a restore function is not one of the top features to work on.

Ubi-Cain
07-03-2016, 09:10 PM
What, a restore from backup has been initially implemented? Where is it, because restore is not working. Or it's not even part of the uPlay client.

There IS existing restore functionality already, it's just not fully automatic.

There's a link that says "Locate Installed game" under the Downlaod button of most games which is the existing restore function.
You can click that and navigate to where the games files are located and Uplay will verify those files as opposed to having to re-download the game.

It's our first iteration based on the existing client setup, but the idea is and has always been to improve it further in future to make it more automated for those with a lot of games.

STFUpro
06-08-2017, 03:49 AM
There IS existing restore functionality already, it's just not fully automatic.

There's a link that says "Locate Installed game" under the Downlaod button of most games which is the existing restore function.
You can click that and navigate to where the games files are located and Uplay will verify those files as opposed to having to re-download the game.

It's our first iteration based on the existing client setup, but the idea is and has always been to improve it further in future to make it more automated for those with a lot of games.

The fact that this poor man has to even use the restore function is the problem. I'm having the same issue. I'll play the game. I'll not play the game for like 3 weeks (because it's boring). Then I'll come back and see if the game has gotten an update to be not-boring. The Uplay client thinks that the game is not installed, EVEN THOUGH it's still listed in the installed games list!!!! So I kindly click "locate installed game" and tell uplay where to find the game THAT IT INSTALLED ITSELF. It insists on doing a "verify" of these untrusted files, because, who knows where they could have come from?!?! Some poorly written downloader could have just pulled these files from anywhere, you know?! After the verify, which is very long by the way, it realizes all the files are fine and it continues to "let the game be installed". Then I get the merry task of updating the game. lol, more waiting. Then I am allowed to play my already installed game. Usually I've moved on to something else.

I side with Casual... Ubisoft, "WHY?!?!" Have you tested for this scenario? If so, you failed. As a software developer, this seems like a case of lacking test cases.

shop2DE9D4E09
06-17-2018, 08:31 PM
In my case, i have installed game via steam (HMM6), and when i point to the location, it does not recognize the files...
I don't want to download it again. WTF? Don't know how to do software, don't do it. Last thing was not great, but was working somehow... why to break working thing, when you can offer only broken one anyway?

SteamMuppet
09-16-2018, 01:29 AM
The fact that this poor man has to even use the restore function is the problem. I'm having the same issue. I'll play the game. I'll not play the game for like 3 weeks (because it's boring). Then I'll come back and see if the game has gotten an update to be not-boring. The Uplay client thinks that the game is not installed, EVEN THOUGH it's still listed in the installed games list!!!! So I kindly click "locate installed game" and tell uplay where to find the game THAT IT INSTALLED ITSELF. It insists on doing a "verify" of these untrusted files, because, who knows where they could have come from?!?! Some poorly written downloader could have just pulled these files from anywhere, you know?! After the verify, which is very long by the way, it realizes all the files are fine and it continues to "let the game be installed". Then I get the merry task of updating the game. lol, more waiting. Then I am allowed to play my already installed game. Usually I've moved on to something else.

I side with Casual... Ubisoft, "WHY?!?!" Have you tested for this scenario? If so, you failed. As a software developer, this seems like a case of lacking test cases.

Yip! I am going thru massive hair loss once more. It's THERE, the game that is, right where I left it yet . but it seems toi be treating these games as if they were their little 1 year olds crawling off as soon as you turn your bck. Got our money and they're off partying. I LOVE they way they just say :Re Download it. ITS 8% of a TERRA BYTE. Try this on Dial UP