PDA

View Full Version : How do you creat a .DAT file

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:48 AM
The README says you can create a file called "ClassesNnX.DAT" but it does'nt say how to create it & where to put it & do i have to create such a file for each plane or for example can i group all Stukas into one Classes file.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

Oberst Johannes Steinhoff (176 kills)

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:48 AM
The README says you can create a file called "ClassesNnX.DAT" but it does'nt say how to create it & where to put it & do i have to create such a file for each plane or for example can i group all Stukas into one Classes file.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Though maybe Starshoy, or Anteater, can confirm this for sure, I believe I got it to work by placing the ClassesNNx.dat in the main Dgen folder (after trying a number of other locations); I feel it worked as I flew a Leningrad (German Army Group North) air superiority mission with FW_190A5 (which in the past has been limited to ground attack i believe).

I created the file using Notepad or Wordpad exactly as a .txt file (except with .dat extension of course). Another way is to open an existing .dat file and erase its contents, replace with correct stuff, and 'Save As' a new name (so as not to screw up the file you openend.)

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks I'll try that, They should have been more explicit in the README though.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Could someone PLEASE explain this option. I'm not sure what it is I need to do, and I really want to get it to work. The readme is very unclear. There is even an error. He writes FW_109A-4, obviously he meant the 190 not the 109. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Lignite, I still don't understand. What did you write in place of "NnX" for FW-190? Would it be DeF for a 190 fighter (center) campaign for example?

Could I just copy a .dat file somewhere, erase everything in it, then rename it ClassesDeF.dat to use for all German fighter (center) campaigns? Maybe instead of saying "for every career a file can be created", he should have said "for every type of career a file can be created." This would help clarify IMHO if that is what he means.

What exactly did you type? Do you have to put "PLANE ROLE" at the top of the newly created file or do you just put the plane in and the desired type of missions?

For Example:

PLANE ROLE

FW_190A4 LIGHT
FW_190A5 ALL

Would this be right? Do you need the PLANE ROLE at the top?
I would hope it only affects the types of missions you fly and not the type of every 190A-5 (even AI) mission for example. Maybe I do understand it, who knows. Still, readme should be much clearer.

Any info would be appreciated.

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

Message Edited on 08/13/0306:13AM by kyrule2

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 09:42 AM
I thought the readme was pretty straightforward. You need to type the plane designation and then the role.

For example:

BF_109E7 FIGHTER
BF_109F4 FIGHTER
FW_190A4 FIGHTER

etc ...

The other keywords for plane role are in the readme. And this file only affects YOUR missions (meanign the AI will still use it for all types FB allows for it).

---------------------------
http://home.t-online.de/home/340045970094-0001/lwskins_banner_gross.jpg (http://www.lwskins.de.vu)
Historical Skins for Luftwaffe-Fighters

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 10:46 AM
csThor, I understand that part, that is how I wrote it in my post (LIGHT, ALL, FIGHTER, etc.). But do you need to put PLANE ROLE at the top of the file? Otherwise am I correct?

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

Message Edited on 08/13/0309:47AM by kyrule2

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 11:08 AM
No just what I wrote. There is no need for any "headline".

---------------------------
http://home.t-online.de/home/340045970094-0001/lwskins_banner_gross.jpg (http://www.lwskins.de.vu)
Historical Skins for Luftwaffe-Fighters

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Use the following career IDÔ┬┤s for the ClassesNnX.dat:

NnX=

DeB - For German Bomber (HE-111)
DeN - For German Fighter (North)
DeC - For German Fighter (Center)
DeF - For German Fighter (South)
DeL - For German JaBo
DeS - For Stuka

Example: ClassesDeF.dat for german Fighter Campaign South.

FiF - For Finnish Fighter
HuF - For Hungarian Fighter
RuB - For Russian Bomber (TB-3)
RuF - For Russian Fighter
RuL - For Russian Fighter (Leningrad)
RuS - For Sturmovik
RuI - For Sturmovik (Leningrad)

============================
When it comes to testing new aircraft or determining maximum performance, pilots like to talk about "pushing the envelope." They're talking about a two dimensional model: the bottom is zero altitude, the ground; the left is zero speed; the top is max altitude; and the right, maximum velocity, of course. So, the pilots are pushing that upper-right-hand corner of the envelope. What everybody tries not to dwell on is that that's where the postage gets canceled, too.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Oak_Groove wrote:
- Use the following career IDÔ┬┤s for the
- ClassesNnX.dat:
-
- NnX=
-
- DeB - For German Bomber (HE-111)
- DeN - For German Fighter (North)
- DeC - For German Fighter (Center)
- DeF - For German Fighter (South)
- DeL - For German JaBo
- DeS - For Stuka
-
- Example: ClassesDeF.dat for german Fighter Campaign
- South.
-
-
- FiF - For Finnish Fighter
- HuF - For Hungarian Fighter
- RuB - For Russian Bomber (TB-3)
- RuF - For Russian Fighter
- RuL - For Russian Fighter (Leningrad)
- RuS - For Sturmovik
- RuI - For Sturmovik (Leningrad)

Now here is an interesting question based on what OakGroove wrote, In the Stuka campaigns last 3 years they game offers you the FW-190A8 & F8, If i wanted to change the missions for those planes in my Stuka campaign do i put it in the Stuka ClassesNnX file or do i put it in the Fighter or Jabo ClassesNnX file, My bet is it goes in the Stuka folder but i'd like some confirmation on it.

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Again, I hope Starshoy and Anteater will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the aircraft you place in the ClassesNnX.dat file should correspond with the aircraft you have chosen (or will chose) in the game campaign GUI. I do not know how 'sloppy' (meaning having aircraft in the ClassesNnX file that are not used by the campaign) one can get with this, but I assume better safe than sorry. I will only specify the aircraft in the ClassesDeN.dat file that I will be flying in the specific campaign I will be flying. For example: 43' Leningrad campaign (and onward) Like this

FW_190A5=LIGHT
FW_190A8=LIGHT
FW_190A9=LIGHT

Maybe Starshoy was able to build it so that 'extras' or mistakes will not ruin the campaign, but better safe than sorry.

I haven't flown a Stuka campaign, so I don't know which 'campaign' it is, but I assume the file would look something like this (again, I'm not familiar with the exact syntax for the Stukas):

JU_87D=GROUND
JU_87G=GROUND
FW_190F8=GROUND

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 05:28 PM
ZG77_Lignite wrote:
-
- I haven't flown a Stuka campaign, so I don't know
- which 'campaign' it is, but I assume the file would
- look something like this (again, I'm not familiar
- with the exact syntax for the Stukas):
-
- JU_87D=GROUND
- JU_87G=GROUND
- FW_190F8=GROUND
-
-

Thats what i think it should be also.