PDA

View Full Version : Is Liberation HD worth picking up?

Sickboy7979
07-01-2016, 12:24 AM
it got pretty lack luster reviews from what I've watched (IGN and Gamespot). I love this series and loved AC3. This is the only game I don't have right now. I'm currently in the middle of Unity and have Syndicate to go still. Just wondering what everyone thinks about Liberation.

HDinHB
07-01-2016, 12:57 AM
Yes, you love the series, so you have to play it. It's not the best game in the series but it's better than most people say. You can get it super cheap on PC and not as cheap on console. Most of the characters are good, especially Aveline, the story is decent, it fits in with the other 18th Century games, and overall it's quite enjoyable. I even learned some history from it, which I always like. Unlike AC3, you get to paddle your canoe. Remembering it was designed as a handheld game, it's interesting to see the design choices they made and how they compare to full size games.

D.I.D.
07-01-2016, 01:30 AM
It's extraordinarily buggy on PC. Weird crashes abound, as well as game-breaking errors and glitches. There's a major one where you'll suddenly start swimming above ground 4ft above the swamps, and there's often nothing you can do about stopping it.

Level design and AI response can be really weird as well. There's a fort in the swamp, and you can see by looking at it that you're supposed to be facing a hard time, but I instantly found a way to get through in a straight line without anyone seeing or responding to me at all (and they really should have done).

But with all of that said, Liberation's nice enough. You have to bear in mind that it's a handheld Vita project inflated to console/PC life, but it's better quality than that might suggest. The environments are pretty limited by comparison with AC3 or any game afterwards, but then again there's a lot of variety as you move through the story. I like Aveline as a character. While the clothes-swapping mechanic is by no means deep, this at least gives her gameplay a little more variety than we're used to seeing.

Liberation is to AC3 as Rogue is to AC4: a scrappier cousin that takes you to some environment types that you never saw in the bigger game, but an average experience in terms of the whole series, and an opportunity to see major characters from the main games one last time. If you like to feel that you've seen everything the series has to offer, you should play it. I wasn't left with many strong memories of Liberation, but I remember that I enjoyed my one playthrough overall. While Rogue is better due to being based on the better game out of ACs 3 and 4, I was less happy with Rogue (contradictory motivations, nonsensical reactions).

cawatrooper9
07-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I went in with really low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. Like others have said, it's not the best in the series, but it's still a bit of a hidden gem.

Basically, if you're an AC fan, I think you'll be happy to find that there is essentially a bonus game that you haven't even played yet- and in 2016 (the year of no game), that's a nice little consolation.

HDinHB
07-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Basically, if you're an AC fan, I think you'll be happy to find that there is essentially a bonus game that you haven't even played yet- and in 2016 (the year of no game), that's a nice little consolation.

That's a good point. I had forgotten that one of the characters from Liberation is in the AC movie, or at least one of his descendents. That would be even more incentive to play it.

http://screenrant.com/michael-williams-assassins-creed-baptiste-moussa/

“My character, he’s in this prison, whatever this place we call it. His name is Moussa. He is going to… When he becomes an Assassin, he’s going to channel his ancestor, which is a voodoo poisoner who has been dead for about 200 years. His name is Baptiste.”

The name and character will be familiar to hardcore fans of the games, as Baptiste is the second character from the video games confirmed to be in the movie – along with Jeremy Irons as Alan Rikkin. Baptiste (and there are far too many coincidental details for this not to be the same character) appears in Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, a title originally released for the PlayStation Vita and later ported to consoles.

ERICATHERINE
07-01-2016, 06:24 PM
If you decide to play it and if you like Connor, you should buy the mission where you control him. It's the only dlc with a mission that game offer. Also know that this mission is only obtainable with uplay.

in the game, there is a mission where as you control Aveline, she team up with Connor. The two of them sometimes have to follow a diferent path, but you always control Aveline. The dlc is basically the same mission, but you control Connor all the time. To access the dlc, you have to first play the mission as Aveline and then going in the menu to replay the mission. Before you choose which mission to replay, look the missions that still haven't been done. The Connor mission will be at the right of it's Aveline version. Unlike the Aveline version, the Connor version can only be accessed in the replay menu.

^-^

Sickboy7979
07-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'm going to have to buy it after I beat Syndicate! It does sound like a cool story, and if it is like Rogue is to BF (I loved both) it sounds like it would enjoy it.

cawatrooper9
07-01-2016, 07:20 PM
If you decide to play it and if you like Connor, you should buy the mission where you control him. It's the only dlc with a mission that game offer. Also know that this mission is only obtainable with uplay.

in the game, there is a mission where as you control Aveline, she team up with Connor. The two of them sometimes have to follow a diferent path, but you always control Aveline. The dlc is basically the same mission, but you control Connor all the time. To access the dlc, you have to first play the mission as Aveline and then going in the menu to replay the mission. Before you choose which mission to replay, look the missions that still haven't been done. The Connor mission will be at the right of it's Aveline version. Unlike the Aveline version, the Connor version can only be accessed in the replay menu.

^-^

Is this on the Xbox 360 version as well?

I've never heard of this, somehow...

SixKeys
07-01-2016, 09:07 PM
I liked Liberation better than AC3. AC3 is my least favorite entry in the series though, so YMMV.
There are some big problems, mainly the presentation of the story. For some reason they opted to tell a lot through text during loading screens instead of proper cut scenes, so it can be extremely confusing to follow sometimes. The game was developed for a handheld originally, so the locations are rather small and missions simplistic. The gameplay uses AC3 as its basis, so the controls and AI share many of the same problems.

With all that said, I liked the persona system, thought it had a lot of potential and was sad they never brought it back. There is ambient music and it's great. I like the locations more than the ones in AC3 and Aveline is a decent protagonist. It's worth picking up for about $10, I'd say.

ERICATHERINE
07-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Is this on the Xbox 360 version as well?

I've never heard of this, somehow...

I don't know, I don't have any xbox. I just know that if you want to get it, you have to connect to uplay in the game main menu and use your uplay point. In fact, you get it doing about the same thing as to get the Auditore tomb mission (which is located in Montterrigionny), in ac ii. ^-^

Ureh
07-02-2016, 04:29 AM
Yeah me too! I'll eventually get to Liberation. I used to only play 2-3 games per year, so I missed out on ACL when it was released, but this year I've already played 4 games. That's Four! Also have 3 more games still in their cellophane, and I'm not even half way through Syndicate (and I'm planning to make a short music video for Evie). I have a lot of catching up to do.

Aveline does look/sound like a character I want to play so I'm going to have to move ACL up the timetable once I'm done with ACS.

Sorry for the delay. All aboard the Eagle Express! Next stop: New Orleans! Choo! Choooooo!

Farlander1991
07-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Liberation is the only AC open-world game that I actively dislike. Even though I tried several times to, you know, like it.

The bugs (there's so many of them, one of the most memorable ones was when I was shot while synchronizing a viewpoint, Aveline fell down and died and the game stuck, couldn't open menus or anything), the mission design (despite an interesting premise with personas, it's so linear, even more so than AC3, and small), the parkour doesn't work properly half the time and stealth is as broken as AC3's. And even all that would've been fine if the story wasn't an abrupted incoherent mess. Four sequences in I had still no idea what was going on, why, and why anybody was doing what.

Not a game that I would recommend, but to each their own :)

Dead1y-Derri
07-02-2016, 02:20 PM
How does liberation fair on PS3? Would you say it works well.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-02-2016, 04:55 PM
I have, or had, ACIII: Liberation on PS3 and it was great, barely any glitches and such.

And as a big AC fan, you should pick it up to see Aveline's story. I don't like the game all that much but I don't hate the game either.

But I think it has a somewhat interesting storyline.

And I did eventually warm up to Aveline :)

cawatrooper9
07-05-2016, 07:28 PM
the mission design (despite an interesting premise with personas, it's so linear, even more so than AC3, and small)

I'd agree with that. The thing is, AC Liberation isn't just some small reskin of ACIII- it's very much its own game, and it did some really interesting things that no other AC game has done, the Persona system being a big one of them. While I would have preferred for the Persona system to be a little more open than it way, I realize that this was originally a mobile game- I suppose I have to reign in my expectations a little bit. The real shame, in my opinion, is that no big console release has really taken this idea and run with it.