PDA

View Full Version : Unlocks

yote224
06-27-2016, 10:16 PM
I was hoping to spark some discussion on the topic of Unlockables. As far as I can remember Ubisoft titles tend to have equipment, customization, etc etc be unlockable as you progress through the game. It hasn't been discussed to my knowledge as to how that would or could be done and I figure we can have a think tank or I could be set straight if I'm in the wrong here.

Things we could unlock.
As far as customization goes we have read that armor (head, chest, shoulders/arm, etc) is able to be selected, there is mention of "decals" or emblems, and more recently Jason mentioned that weapons could be customized (whether that's actual customization or just selection has yet to be seen) with stat altering affect. Other things I feel could be customized but are only a hunch would be our Taunts and Execution animations.

How these could be unlocked.
In my hours of playing a wide variety of games with customization I've seen a few ways of dealing with unlocking things.

1.Unlock specific item through a specific task. (For example, Halo 3)
This would mean you have to complete a specific task (kill 2 enemies within 2 seconds, winstreak of 5+, etc) to unlock a specific armor,weapon,decal, etc etc.
This could be interesting as those specific pieces of the game are unique to those who have accomplished said tasks and could give an intimidating feel if you find yourself facing someone wearing/wielding/taunting that specific item. This could be bad because you might be able to chase those specific items through specific actions possibly throwing matches for your teammates and so on. In the event of a weapon unlock those stats could also be an unfair advantage or not worth going after.

2.Unlock at random (for example Rocket League)
This would be a certain percentage to get a randomized drop at the end of a game, pretty self explanatory. Some folks like it, others don't, but all things are available to everyone on a long enough timeline.

3.In game currency (for example pretty much any MMO)
Play a game to get credits, use those credits to buy specific items. Again, pretty self explanatory. This would provide players the ability to choose the way they want to build their character and could provide incentive for winning a match.

3.A. In Game Currency/ Booster Packs (For example Mass Effect 3)
Play a game to get credits, use those credits to buy a pack that has items from a table of possible items. There could be tiers of packs that are more expensive but provide better/specific items.

4.Leveling/ranking (For example Call Of Duties)
The more games you play the more experience your account earns and at certain tiers you unlock a handful of tiered items.

If there are more ways that I haven't listed feel free to share, these are off the top of my head. I'd like to see how you'd like for these to be done (if unlocking will even be a thing) and your reasoning.

coma987
06-27-2016, 10:39 PM
In game currency would be the best if you get a lot of it fast, I want customization options to be unlocked by tough challenges, but like weapon parts should be through game currency, so after a few games you can buy whatever thing you wanted for your weapon.

BoldAlphawolf
06-27-2016, 11:39 PM
Im all for the gear being tier oriented

Sir_Beefing
06-28-2016, 12:48 AM
I a big fan of unlocking thing through challenges and achievements. It's just a nice way to show off what you are capable of .

BoldAlphawolf
06-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Right

MisterWillow
06-28-2016, 02:36 AM
I'd prefer in-game currency myself.

Having everything unlock through ranks or tiers sometimes means grinding for hours, obtaining things you might not ever use, to get something you really want, when it would be much easier to just buy it with plunder. :D

Chaf--
06-28-2016, 09:05 AM
In-game currency, please. So we can choose in a shop what we want.
But I just hope this will have no effects at all on heroes. I know the Creative Director tells something about it, but the online ranked mode needs to be out of all of this, let us have the cosmetics we want and have exactly the same abilities and speed as when we're rank 0.

premiumart
06-28-2016, 06:13 PM
I hope there enough unlocks and customization options that a new hero and one with like 100 hours game time look way different. XD

HATman09
06-28-2016, 06:21 PM
I'd prefer cosmetics for doing achievements/challenges, IE different swords that have the same statistics of ____, or armor bits and bobs. In regard to noticeable change - different stats, weapons, types of armor, whatever - then yeah in game currency sounds best.

Eidard
06-28-2016, 06:29 PM
For multiplayer I hope the unlocks are only aesthetic, and I hope that it is done either by simple achievements (Winning X number of games with X class/faction) or by in-game currency.

When there is complex achievements (do X with Y class in less than Z minutes) in multiplayers you run into the problem of people focusing on the achievement instead of focusing on winning, creating a bad experience for the rest of the team.

The customization that changes stats should be open from min1 in the multiplayer, or atleast unlocked in first few levels(if there is levels).

BoldAlphawolf
06-28-2016, 10:18 PM
For multiplayer I hope the unlocks are only aesthetic, and I hope that it is done either by simple achievements (Winning X number of games with X class/faction) or by in-game currency.

When there is complex achievements (do X with Y class in less than Z minutes) in multiplayers you run into the problem of people focusing on the achievement instead of focusing on winning, creating a bad experience for the rest of the team.

The customization that changes stats should be open from min1 in the multiplayer, or atleast unlocked in first few levels(if there is levels).

The weapons an armor you unlock through the campaign and multiplayer only have states in the campaign, but in multiplayer all armor an weapon's are strictly cosmetic i for one am siked that there is no power curve in multiplayer this means no pay to win lol

Eidard
06-28-2016, 10:33 PM
The weapons an armor you unlock through the campaign and multiplayer only have states in the campaign, but in multiplayer all armor an weapon's are strictly cosmetic i for one am siked that there is no power curve in multiplayer this means no pay to win lol

When did they say that there is only stat customization in campaign? I might have missed that.

As far as I know there will be in the multiplayer, even though it is not supposed to make you stronger, just changing a bit your playstyle (damage over speed or viceversa and that type of things), at least for what I understood.

Willaguy2010
06-29-2016, 12:37 AM
When did they say that there is only stat customization in campaign? I might have missed that.

As far as I know there will be in the multiplayer, even though it is not supposed to make you stronger, just changing a bit your playstyle (damage over speed or viceversa and that type of things), at least for what I understood.

This is true, in the campaign the loot you'll get will be progressively better as you go through the campaign. In MP, the loot does have stats but it isn't "one's better than the other", it changes stats around to fit your play style but it's not strictly better.

BoldAlphawolf
06-29-2016, 12:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo5K_pS6IBs 20:30

yote224
06-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Personally I think the way I'd like to see things unlocked depends on what all would be unlockable.
If it's purely aesthetic changes then I wouldn't mind them being tied to Specific Tasks. If they're stat altering then I'd prefer an in game currency so as to provide everyone the means to build their character how they want it, within reason. The other ways of unlocking things seemed to have worked specifically for those games and made for interesting playthroughs and grinds but their multiplayers are very different from what I imagine the final product For Honor will offer.

In a head to head competition oriented game I would like that people should be able to buy the specific things they want. My only issue with this is that some items may get never get bought (think level 1 and 2 runes in LoL, there's no point in buying these when there are completely better choices) or used and it would instate almost its own Meta and should those items also have aesthetics attached to them then people would actually end up looking very much the same frequently.

Eidard
06-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Yes, but, you have customization, you just dont become stronger, which is important for competitive purposes, I think it is the right move to avoid a power curve in MP while still allowing for customization, you said that for MP customziation is strictly cosmetic, which is false.

I don't want to enter a match and beat a guy just because I am stronger because I have been playing for 6 months, I want to win against him because I am better at the game.

There could exist a Power Curve only if when you are allowed to play ranked (say level 30) you have automatically everything top tier unlocked, but if you can enter ranked at level 1 then there cannot be a power curve, personally I rather not have a power curve in MP at all, I think slight customization in playstyle is enough.

BoldAlphawolf
06-30-2016, 04:11 AM
Yes, but, you have customization, you just dont become stronger, which is important for competitive purposes, I think it is the right move to avoid a power curve in MP while still allowing for customization, you said that for MP customziation is strictly cosmetic, which is false.

I don't want to enter a match and beat a guy just because I am stronger because I have been playing for 6 months, I want to win against him because I am better at the game.

There could exist a Power Curve only if when you are allowed to play ranked (say level 30) you have automatically everything top tier unlocked, but if you can enter ranked at level 1 then there cannot be a power curve, personally I rather not have a power curve in MP at all, I think slight customization in playstyle is enough.

No power curve means it wont do anything, could you explain how your getting something different from this.

Killerbrian26
06-30-2016, 04:30 AM
No power curve means it wont do anything, could you explain how your getting something different from this.

No power curve means that there aren't weapons or armor that simply better in every way than each other. Each piece of a weapon or armor provides tradeoffs with others. For example, one might decide to wear something that is primarily armor focused, but it slows them down, while another might choose to wear something more speed focused, at the cost of some extra armor.

Willaguy2010
06-30-2016, 07:53 AM

He states that there will be stat changes in MP, it just won't be strictly better over time as it is in campaign.

MisterWillow
07-01-2016, 08:26 PM
No power curve means that there aren't weapons or armor that simply better in every way than each other. Each piece of a weapon or armor provides tradeoffs with others. For example, one might decide to wear something that is primarily armor focused, but it slows them down, while another might choose to wear something more speed focused, at the cost of some extra armor.

Or you pick a weapon with a longer reach but it's slower to swing.

AvarusTyrannus
07-01-2016, 08:53 PM
My vote is for gear to not have stats or be pro/con rather than tier based, as for cosmetics I think they mean more if you earn them though a specific task rather than buy with ingame/hard currency. I'm not impressed by someone with gear they bought 50$ of loot crates for, but someone who earned through completion of a substantial challenge that brings more value in my mind.

Killerbrian26
07-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Or you pick a weapon with a longer reach but it's slower to swing.

But how will I add to my axes's length if it's already really long in the first place?

Joe_Corleone
07-02-2016, 09:49 PM
I thought Jason said it was more of a loot system.

MisterWillow
07-03-2016, 01:29 AM
But how will I add to my axes's length if it's already really long in the first place?

By taking steps forward...

bkling520
07-04-2016, 01:13 AM
I'd prefer in-game currency myself.

Having everything unlock through ranks or tiers sometimes means grinding for hours, obtaining things you might not ever use, to get something you really want, when it would be much easier to just buy it with plunder. :D

That is always my favorite way to get loot, but I feel like it will be each faction will have its own lvl system and you will get items for whatever you play the most

bkling520
07-04-2016, 01:15 AM
In-game currency, please. So we can choose in a shop what we want.
But I just hope this will have no effects at all on heroes. I know the Creative Director tells something about it, but the online ranked mode needs to be out of all of this, let us have the cosmetics we want and have exactly the same abilities and speed as when we're rank 0.

I agree no perks or buffs just cosmetic upgrades!

Deadshot.
07-04-2016, 01:54 AM
I feel like it will be each faction will have its own lvl system and you will get items for whatever you play the most

I'd actually be okay with this... as long as it isn't a major grind.

For example, in any of the Assassin's Creed multiplayer games, you had to play the crud out of the game in order to get something even as simple as a different taunt.
More annoying than motivating, really.

Preferably, I'd be more interested in acquiring gear/weps/taunts via credits/gold/etc...again, as long as it isn't a long-*** grind to do so.