PDA

View Full Version : You guy's think viking's will get a two handed sword class?

BoldAlphawolf
06-24-2016, 01:31 AM
I seen the E3 viking campaign mission and in it a viking AI had a two handed sword, personally i think it would be awesome, Two handed swords are my melee weapon of choice. And id play the viking warrior legacy if that is the case (if not im going with the warden) And at master class E3 2015 jason vandenberghe Said Each warrior Faction will have Seven classes. so i wouldnt rule it out what do you guys think?

i leave a link below to the video's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU_6bgA0po Each faction has seven hero's 27:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k Two handed sword viking AI 3:20

MisterWillow
06-24-2016, 01:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU_6bgA0po Each faction has seven hero's 27:50

Jason says 'several' not 'seven'. You can take that however you'd like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k Two handed sword viking AI 3:20

The devs have said that there will be certain things in the campaign that will not translate to multiplayer. For example, there are several Samurai in the Viking mission that the player can lock on to, but that have next to no life (you can kill them in two or three hits, but still use the Art of Battle)---included in that would be the shielded samurai 'heroes'---so the longsword wielding Viking could be that.

In terms of whether or not I'd like a Viking with a two-handed sword, I feel like he might feel too similar to the Warden. Then again, he could have his own moveset that distinguishing him. I'd need to see an example to make a decision.

BoldAlphawolf
06-24-2016, 02:04 AM
I see your point i think the viking would have his own move set, because they hired martial artist for each faction each specailist in the weapon they did the animation's for.

MisterWillow
06-24-2016, 02:37 AM
While that's true, there are only so many ways to swing a sword, and in the case of a two-handed long sword, you can really only use it like the Kensei uses the nodachi---that is, very straightforward---or how the Warden uses the long sword---with some half-swording and such (which seems to play a minimal roll in combat anyway).

They could always go a middle-route, with a back-handed pommel strike or something, but again, I feel like, overall, it would be too similar to the two-handed swords already present.

AvarusTyrannus
06-24-2016, 07:52 AM
I'm fairly confident that longsword viking is just a multiplayer bot ally using Warden resources. Same goes for the shield samurai, but using shield viking resources instead. I don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.

When playing the Knight/Samurai campaign I expect to carve through those not-Warden vikings just as when playing the "Up the Beach" mission I mowed down 10-15 of those not-Oni minions with or without shields.

waraidako
06-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Vikings did use longswords, but by that point they weren't really vikings anymore, just Swedes and Danes. Longswords didn't really become a thing until well after the viking age was over. The two handed weapon of choice for a viking was the spear, or if you were a bit more skilled, the Dane axe. I don't think we need to invent fictional weaponry for the factions. The real stuff is cool enough.

AvarusTyrannus
06-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Vikings did use longswords, but by that point they weren't really vikings anymore, just Swedes and Danes. Longswords didn't really become a thing until well after the viking age was over. The two handed weapon of choice for a viking was the spear, or if you were a bit more skilled, the Dane axe. I don't think we need to invent fictional weaponry for the factions. The real stuff is cool enough.

It's not fictional in the game universe though. Just as samurai fighting Vikings and Knights might adopt shields, Vikings might use a longsword taken from a slain Warden. Within the game it makes a certain amount of sense. I'm pretty sure Vikings in the real world were known to collect and use weaponry of fallen opponents.

MisterWillow
06-24-2016, 07:09 PM
It's not fictional in the game universe though. Just as samurai fighting Vikings and Knights might adopt shields, Vikings might use a longsword taken from a slain Warden. Within the game it makes a certain amount of sense. I'm pretty sure Vikings in the real world were known to collect and use weaponry of fallen opponents.

Collect? Yes.

Use? Maybe if they had lost their weapon and were using a plundered one until they could get a new one made by their local blacksmith. Otherwise, I feel like they would have most likely have been disassembled and melted down.

What little we know about the Vikings, there's an indication they were extremely family and clan oriented, to the point of being xenophobic. Foreign weapons could have been seen as 'lesser', and so were considered little more than scrap to be discarded or improved.

AvarusTyrannus
06-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Collect? Yes.

Use? Maybe if they had lost their weapon and were using a plundered one until they could get a new one made by their local blacksmith. Otherwise, I feel like they would have most likely have been disassembled and melted down.

What little we know about the Vikings, there's an indication they were extremely family and clan oriented, to the point of being xenophobic. Foreign weapons could have been seen as 'lesser', and so were considered little more than scrap to be discarded or improved.

I thought they were subpar at metallurgy, so almost any arms/armor they found would be of a better quality than what they could produce. I've really no clue though.

MisterWillow
06-24-2016, 10:22 PM
I thought they were subpar at metallurgy, so almost any arms/armor they found would be of a better quality than what they could produce. I've really no clue though.

I meant it more as the mentality of 'it's better because I made it'.

Around the 800s. I think they were more or less in step with the rest of Europe. If I remember right, I think the reason that swords were relatively uncommon in Scandinavia is because there was less iron present in the area. So, they used what little they had to make more weapons that required less metal---spear and axe heads---than make less weapons that might have been more balanced.

Of course, some of their seaxes (which are commonly referred to as knives) were as long as swords anyway, but they didn't have pommels or cross-guards, and thinner blades, so it was a trade-off.

waraidako
06-24-2016, 11:37 PM

Not really. They were just as talented as anyone else. Well, except for the Arabs and Indians. Making pattern welded weaponry was quite popular, and they were often meticulous about decorating their weapon fittings with patterns and dragons and what have you. They were professional warriors, after all, not just some thugs with boats. They knew their ****. They would forge their swords with soft cores to make them flexible, and hard edges so they would be sharpened better. Similar to how a katana is made. But swords were prized possessions, since that amount of steel was expensive, which is why most vikings would have used spears or axes. They did get a lot of foreign weapons from all over the world, which they did use. But then, everyone in the area was using pretty much the same one-handed swords as they were, so it wasn't really an issue.

An important thing to remember is that using a sword isn't just flailing around with a sharp metal stick. It takes practice. And the vikings had a fully developed martial art that they relied on to stay alive. A martial art based around the use of the sword, the spear, the axe, wrestling. The sagas also make mention of a cutting spear of some sort, called Atgeir, which cuts, as opposed to the regular stabby kind, so they might have had some sort of glaive type weapon, but that isn't really elaborated on.

However, even today, you can ask any soldier if they could choose anything, which weapon they want to use in battle, I guarantee all of them will pick whatever one they've been trained with. Picking up a new weapon that you don't know, and trying to use that in combat, is suicide. So, if the vikings found foreign weapons, they would use them if they're good quality, as long as they're the same type of weapon they already used. They would never go from an axe to a sword, or a one handed sword to a two-handed sword.

Because the way you fight with a longsword is so vastly different from how you fight with a one-handed sword, that practically none of your skills would be applicable. And then what use would you be?

For reference, the Norsemen would end up with things that looked like this, and I gotta say, it's pretty nice stuff. You'd be fine using this.

http://bladesmithsforum.com/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-32085-13245081171143.jpg

ZenBearV13
06-25-2016, 08:48 AM
I don't think they will have such similar classes between factions. This is disappointing to me, because I really love the classic sword and shield Knight, but they don't appear to plan on implementing that. Instead the Vikings will get the sword and shield and the Knights will get a flail and shield. I think I will still enjoy the flail and shield, but now I have a strong reason to play Vikings as well for my S&B fun.

MisterWillow
06-26-2016, 07:05 PM
I don't think they will have such similar classes between factions. This is disappointing to me, because I really love the classic sword and shield Knight, but they don't appear to plan on implementing that. Instead the Vikings will get the sword and shield and the Knights will get a flail and shield. I think I will still enjoy the flail and shield, but now I have a strong reason to play Vikings as well for my S&B fun.

I've speculated before that this could be a matter of customisation. In the story trailer, there was a Viking with a shield and axe instead of a sword, and in the reveal trailer, there was a Samurai with a naginata instead of a kanabo, and in the thread I made (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1341664-Hero-class-shadows?) about other classes, there's clearly a Knight with a spear instead of the great axe that's been asserted to be there instead.

Now, these might be simple alterations the team has made over development---i.e. they tried the spear and found it wanting, so they replaced it with an axe, tried the naginata and replaced it with a kanabo---or instances of them creating things specifically for trailers, to make the action flow a certain way (the katana could not have been hooked the way it was in the story trailer if that Viking had a sword instead), but even if that is the case, I think it would be overall beneficial to allow players to pick an axe or sword (or flail, in the case of the Knights), a spear or axe, kanabo or naginata, because it would further add to the game's strategy.

For example, a spear is much faster (and more direct) than an axe, could have longer range, but would do less damage, in the same way that a naginata could be faster, but less damaging, than a naginata. Being able to decide between speed and power in this way, I think, could also allow for players who might not like how slow the Shugouki is to pick that with a naginata, and have a better experience.

Of course, being that this would then necessitate alternate damage models, and animations, for some Heroes, mean that if this is not the case already, I highly doubt they can squeeze this element in now, but, if this isn't there presently, I do hope a system like this is present in the sequel. ;)