PDA

View Full Version : Community Feedback on User Interface

Ubi-Banshee
06-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Hi All!

The Dev team is looking for your feedback on the user interface within the games (HUD, map, menu - anything that indicates stuff to you as a user) - I know there have been threads about this that have popped up, but we're looking to consolidate the feedback in one place.

We're very much looking for your thoughts on what works, doesn't work, features you'd love to see in the future, etc. If you have a second to share your thoughts the team would really appreciate it! :o

RVSage
06-21-2016, 08:18 PM
1. With Syndicate, I liked the VRAM usage estimate for various graphical settings (PC version). I hope this carries over to future games

2. The Map is cluttered with chests as we find them (This not essentially a map problem), Maybe move away from so many chests in future games.

3. Have an option to view map of a particular district only in the future

4. I was really glad, the animus room loading screen was back in Syndicate, Please do not drop it, like in Unity.

crusader_prophet
06-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Health should be replaced with regenerative synchronization bar. We are in Animus, not in real world.
Fully customizable HUD, the hints in Syndicate for rope launcher, entering buildings etc. couldn't be turned off and that was very annoying.
Contextual and dynamically changing HUD - based on the scenario a player is in, the HUD changes/hides on its own.
Add audio and visual cues for collectibles, missions etc. instead of plethora of icons.
Ensure to not have a collectible/conversation configured to the same button right next to a mission start point on the map configured to the same button, making it practically impossible to get the collectible/conversation. I've seen that in Unity for one of the Helix simulation missions. I'll be happy if there are NO collectibles in the next game.
Map interface shouldn't give the players an idea of the entire game by listing all the activities, collectibles, missions etc. there are no surprises left in that case for the player. let the player explore and figure out on their own.
After tagging enemies with eagle vision, they float in the environment even after turning off the eagle vision. they shouldn't really be visible after turning off the eagle vision. EV can allow us to see through walls due to acute perception of assassins but we don't have the superpower to keep seeing them through walls even after turning it off.

Sorrosyss
06-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Hey Grace! Hope you are well. :) This is the kind of feedback and developer interaction that we hinted might be a good idea in the other thread, so props to you and the AC team for fielding the questions.

If we take Syndicate as the most recent example, there are a few things that come to mind;

- The customization is very lacking. For example, in many other games you have more options available in terms of the elements themselves. If we had the option to hide or perhaps even rescale certain elements, I think more users would find the UI more appealing. Some people hate the mini map, some the XP bar, some dislike seeing the control scheme all the time. The solution would be to add more options, to make as tailor made an experience as possible. I mean yes, give some simplified presets, but you could definitely include an advanced tab for people to move, scale, or hide the elements as they should please. If it were up to me I'd push the UI elements to the very edges of the screen, as I prefer to keep my vision as clear as possible - but I appreciate everyone has their own taste.

- The predominantly white colour scheme was not to my favour. I was personally a big fan of AC3's UI, as it was in the cool white/blue colour scheme, and in my view was far more soothing on the eyes.

- I really enjoyed the rope launcher. I hope it returns (make it a Piece of Eden tool for earlier time periods). But we need to have a look at the way the icon is displayed. Sometimes while running down a street, it would literally circle around my peripheral vision. Fairly distracting. It also needs some attention when standing very near walls, as it would often vanish completely, sometimes leaving you running in small circles trying to get it to appear rather than actually climbing the wall. :D

- The power level of NPC enemies was very distracting. For example, if you would stand on top of a large enemy building and look down, all you would see is a mass of numbers above their heads and all over your screen. In some cases it could even make it harder to see where you are going. I enjoy the RPG elements of Assassin's Creed, so I'm not arguing for its removal, just saying there could be a better way of displaying this. In my view, the world map just denoting an area as a certain level band should be enough for most players.

- NPC highlighting. (As in, enemies behind walls) In the older games this used to be white, but the change to red and yellow really looks out of place and distracting - perhaps even immersion breaking honestly.

- One really strange issue perculiar to Unity and Syndicate is that the menus and especially the main maps have animated backgrounds. If you leave the PS4 on these screens for too long, then the fans go absolutely nuts. I've read suggestions that this is down to the frame rate being unlocked on the menus, but if this is the case it really needs addressing for the next one as it really can't do the console internals much good.

- The sound detection circle. (Around the player character in stealth) It was a bit rubbish - sorry. It was just distracting, and I honestly never used it once from memory. I think its safe to say its something we can live without.

- Bring back the screenshot button that removes all the UI. (Holding the right stick down in Unity from memory?) We need them lovely screenshots.

- Collectibles. Rather than discovering them when we approach an area, I'd prefer them to be visible from the outset. It was always an inconvenience to have to go back to a cleared area because something popped up as I left. If we are given an incentive to go to a particular area with the said collectible, it may get us back to the original point of them - to properly explore the open worlds for ourselves.

- I think we can have a look at tooltips. For example, every time you go even near a window, you get a prompt of how to enter it etc. I'm not sure these are really necessary, or the prompts to 'leave the area' when you are trying to quietly stealth your way out. "I know! I know!!" :p

- One UI option we absolutely need is this. Let me be abundantly clear here (if the 50 odd page thread on hoods was not message enough), we need a hood toggle in the next game. It'd be nice to have it as a press and hold toggle on one button. A simple, simple fix - but by far probably the one change you could make to please an awful lot of fans.

Thanks for reading. I'll prolly post again if anything further pops to mind. :)

ERICATHERINE
06-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Drop the idea of making us buy collectible maps with real money. I mean, come on. I buy one of those maps only one time and after so many game of ac syndicate that I didn't have to pay anything. I just use a youtube video to save my money. If you want us to buy your map, at least make it buyable with the in game money, not our own cash. Doing this just make us lose our time.

Sushiglutton
06-22-2016, 05:34 PM
I thought you would never ask :D!

First off I want to say that I think the UI is an incredibly important aspect of the game. I never realized this until I spoke with other members on this board which made me experiment with turning off more and more of the HUD. It transforms the experience in surprising ways. For example not knowing where the towers are makes you look up for viewpoints rather than down on your mini-map which leads to a much greater sense of immersion.

The problems with the overambitious default HUD
I think the overambitious HUD of recent games is part of the problems for the franchise, so it makes sense you are investigating it. Here are some problems the default HUD causes:

1) Reveals the structure of the game, thus making it feel more repetitive. For example colour coding the various objective types is crazy in my view. I understand all games are just a repetition of a few basic objectives, but the trick is to hide this from the user as much as possible, not highlight it. Especially going from game to game with the same small set of objective types this just increases the sense of deja vu.

2) Makes tasks feel more like chores: A common criticism of AC is just how pedestrian many activities feel. The HUD is part of the reason way imo. If you come to an island in AC4 and everything is listed and marked on a map then there’s no sense of discovery, no sense of accomplishment, nothing. You just mop up the icons. If you are instead allowed to explore and discover then something as simple as loot may feel somewhat meaningful. Similarly with other mission objectives that are too much in your face.

3) Destroys the aesthetics:AC is about beautiful worlds to discover. The default HUD just destroys a lot of the aesthetic appeal. It’s like self sabotage almost at this point.

For these reasons I’d def recommend reconsidering the default HUD. It seems to me the strategy thus far has been to supply the player with as much information as possible and then let the user turn off some things in the menu. I suspect most players do not customize their HUD thus making it very important to consider the default experience.

Various feedback/features I’d like
1) Make sure the toggleable HUD options are not defined too wide. This has been a problem in some games. For example the content of chests was tied to “updates” in AC4. Some of those updates I didn’t want so I turned it off. I played through AC4 without knowing the content of a single chest lol. The more options the better in my view! You could have more broad categories wrapping up more detailed options. This way more casual users could customize the broader categories while others go into the details.

2) Option to have HUD tied to an on-off button. I really like in Dead Space when there was a button you could press to get direction to your next objective. That way you could enjoy the world in full, but when you wanted the extra info it was just a click away. I would love this in AC. I would change weapon selection to a slow-mo wheel thus freeing up most of the d-pad. Then I would let one of the d-pad buttons be for toggling the HUD. Best case would be to being able to customize the always on HUD and the toggleable HUD separately (I may be obsessed though lol).

3) Being able to customize eagle vision. The new see through wall stuff is incredibly ugly to me. I’d like to be able to turn it off. In Splinter Cell Blacklist this was handled smartly as you could downgrade your goggles at any point. Could be similar in AC if EV is upgraded that you can move backwards should you wish.

4) Being able to turn off enemy-contours. Again they are very ugly, especially the new multi colour ones. ALL artificial elements should be possible to turn off. These games are pretty as a sin, don’t destroy it by excessive baby-sitting :).

5) Mini-map customization in FarCry 4 was excellent. Gave you the ability to turn icons on and off individually. I turned off the loot and some of the trashier mini-missions types. Immediately felt much better!

6) In AC4 it was impossible to turn off the objective. This annoyed me like crazy. ALL artificial elements should be possible to turn off. Objectives, both main and optional, are especially important as they constantly tease you with what you are supposed to do. What if I wanna do something else?

7) Add features to facilitate playing without HUD. Don’t know how feasible this is, but one could dream. Sound/visual cues NPC chatter, signs etc. AC1 was designed like this. Maybe Empire could be a return to that?

8) Option to turn off tingling sounds. Not a fan of those.

m4r-k7
06-22-2016, 08:07 PM
A few things :)

- Minimal HUD is much better, especially in a series that prides itself on incredibly awesome worlds and try and tailor the HUD style to the time period. Unity failed greatly on this front - the font and style of the HUD was horrendous.

- Too much on the mini-map. Unity and Syndicate were both problematic from this standpoint.

- Guards should not be highlighted when you target them. It reduces immersion greatly. Surely there are less obstructive ways to know that your targeting someone.

-Animus loading screen to include animus style blocks/walls so that we can parkour during loading screens!

Ubi-Banshee
06-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Oh man, thanks ALL OF YOU for your thoughtful and articulate responses so far - these are so detailed and helpful!

MikeFNY
06-23-2016, 09:12 AM
I'm not entirely sure if this thread is for all suggestions or just the user interface. Having said that, I tried to group all the features I suggested in the other thread, many of them build up on what other users suggested.

1. Bring back a playable Modern Day character

2. Weapon upgrade should make sense
Related to point 7: And it would be fun and interesting to see the knives change whenever you increase in level, a change in colour and/or material.

3. Improved AI
The two main problems with the AI in Syndicate and also previous games are:

a. They are stupid. They are patroling an area, they see one of their colleagues dead, they shrug their shoulders and move on.

b. All enemies are the same. They may look different but you can assassinate a sniper, assassinate a watcher, assassinate a brute and assassinate what I call a normal guard in the same way and regardless of their level. Revelations did add an element of variety with those strong guards which you couldn't air assassinate, I cannot understand why this was later on removed.

As for point (a), Uncharted 4 does a brilliant job in having guards change the way they patrol the area if they see one of their colleagues dead. Shoulder shrugging pretending as if nothing happened, the way it's done in AC, just doesn't make sense. Also retain the Watcher although all guards should run to raise the alarm if they spot you.

I explain a solution for point (b) in the "Noise" part of point 7.

4. Difficulty Level
I'm not looking at Uncharted here with Easy, Medium, Crushing and Brutal but a difficulty level that is:

a. Based on the enemies you will face throughout the game. I explain this in the "Noise" part of point 7.
b. Based on your training and expertise level. This is the "Throwing knive precision" part of point 7.

5. More than one location per game
Paris was nice, London was nice, but having different cities as it was the case with AC1 and AC2 was much better.

6. Make us have a real connection to our home base again
The train in Syndicate was a claustrophobic experience, so small, so crowded. I miss the Monteriggioni villa from AC2, a place you could really call home. And if multiple cities are to be re-introduced(point 5), then maybe we could have one hideout in every city but a major hideout in a city we choose.

7. Personalisation
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!?p=11786350&viewfull=1#post11786350

I forgot two important attributes in my previous post.

First one is noise. This would help to achieve "Improved AI" and "Difficulty Level" I mentioned above. If your Noise level is set to "0" then any enemy you will try to (air) assassinate will spot you and defend himself. If your Noise level is set to "1" then you can only assassinate Level 1 enemies. And so on up to Level 10.

This means that if my noise Level is set to 4 then I know that in a particular mission I can take out through (air) assassination all enemies in the area that have a level of 4 or smaller. Level 5 or greater enemies will spot me.

Would this mean that I cannot attempt Level 10 missions? Depends. You may have your Noise level set to 4 but your "Throwing knives power" attribute set to 10 meaning that you can plan accordingly: take out smaller or equal to Level 4 enemies through assassinations, the rest with your knives.

Second one is Eagle View. Some attributes, instead of 0-10, could have low, medium or high and in the case of Eagle View medium is like Unity, low is like Unity but with a smaller range and high is like Syndicate.

8. Remove the more important side missions and have them part of the main mission
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!?p=11789520&viewfull=1#post11789520

I see no reason why there shouldn't be side missions such a woman stopping you because her husband was kidnapped and in case you free her husband he will reward you with a special weapon or money.

But I didn't like the side mission design in Syndicate as they had no direct connection with the main story.

9. Have a team behind you
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!?p=11413228&viewfull=1#post11413228

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!?p=11413291&viewfull=1#post11413291

10. Stay loyal to the tenets
And if there are to be fight clubs or racing, then implement a "civilian" mode rather than seeing the assassin doing silly stuff when wearing the assassin outfit.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!?p=11718100&viewfull=1#post11718100

dxsxhxcx
06-23-2016, 03:17 PM
3) Being able to customize eagle vision. The new see through wall stuff is incredibly ugly to me. I’d like to be able to turn it off. In Splinter Cell Blacklist this was handled smartly as you could downgrade your goggles at any point. Could be similar in AC if EV is upgraded that you can move backwards should you wish.

THIS! 1000000....x

IMO just turn it back to what it was in AC1 (1st person included), if this isn't an option, give us the option to change it (especially remove the ability to see through walls) via pause menu, no need to go through the hassle of justifying why we can do that in game.

DarkApprent2012
06-24-2016, 11:36 AM
For me basically everything is perfect just the way they are.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-24-2016, 02:17 PM
I don't complain the interface much because it doesnt really interfere with my gameplay so the devs did a good job on that :)

The hood toggle defiantly needs to be a thing.

SixKeys
06-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Hot damn, official UI feedback! I'm glad the devs are interested in user opinions on this. :)

HUD

HUD-less options:
Option to turn off everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING, including mission markers, notifications, updates, blending effects, objectives etc.

This:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/nohud/images/5/5c/Assassin`s_Creed_No_Hud.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150519172605

is better than this (notice the green mission marker which cannot be turned off):

http://abload.de/img/acs2015-11-1813-20-2386un0.jpg

I want to be able to fully immerse myself in the world, and that means being able to find my own way without forced tips floating on the screen. I also love taking clean screenshots.

Information overload:
Get rid of all the excess information like the detection circle in Syndicate (with the weird soundwave bars around the character). AC is supposed to be about immersion and the more game-y elements you put in, the less immersive it becomes.

Mission objectives:
For some interactions it makes sense to clearly indicate what you're supposed to be doing, i.e. "follow" instead of "assassinate". However, there are some dumb ones that make the player feel like they're being talked down to. Like having a mission marker above a chest called "find" or "loot" or even "open". Yes, we know what we're generally supposed to do with a chest. "Interact" is perfectly fine for most actions.

Full sync objectives:
Make it possible for players to turn these off in options.

Tutorials:
We only need a tutorial for how to do a leap of faith once. We don't need a reminder to pop up every single time.

Updates:
When I click "turn off all notifications" in HUD options, I expect it to turn off ALL of them. I don't want to be told every 20 minutes that I have unspent sync points, or that I have X amount of money in the bank, or that I have unread e-mails in the Animus. Like Sushiglutton said, though, don't tie too many features together so that turning off money updates turns off notifications about something else that I may consider important. The best way would be to list everything separately - money, e-mails, tutorials, character level, etc. - and make a simple on/off button for each item.

Random events:
After the player has completed each type of random event once, they no longer need to be told what they're supposed to do with a pickpocket. Please remove tips like "tackle the thief" or "rescue the hostages" from above the NPCs' heads. Players are more perceptive than you may think.

Power levels:
Please get rid of the feature that shows you enemies' power level above their heads. Again, players are perceptive. We can tell just by looking at the NPC's highly decorated uniform that he's not your average grunt. Similarly, telling players "you're too weak, consider upgrading before tackling this mission" is totally unnecessary. If they are indeed too weak, they will find out for themelves after they've tried and failed. Then there are those players who KNOW their character is weak, and want to tackle a difficult mission for an extra challenge.

Usernames:
I can't remember if Syndicate had this, but in Unity your Uplay username was always visible in the upper left corner (although thankfully you could turn it off). To me this is just another small immersion-breaking feature that reminds me I am playing a video game. Even though it is slightly amusing to join a session with a master assassin whose name is, apparently, The C0ckMeister. :rolleyes:

Eagle vision:
I concur with those who have requested more user control over Eagle Vision. Make downgrades possible.

Map

Remove clutter through filters
Says it all, really. AC2 was pretty good with its map filters.

Chests
Either don't mark chests on the map at all (they're not that important anyway) or give players an easy way to filter what information the map displays. For example "show/don't show collectibles", "show/don't show side quests" etc.

Mission markers
Like someone else said, having everything show up on the map immediately kind of kills the joy of exploration. Maybe instead of revealing each mission marker for what it is (like the "M" icons all over Syndicate for Carl Marx missions), mission markers could be replaced with question marks "?", like the Stranger missions in Red Dead Redemption. That way you could explore each new area and never know what you'll run into next.

Menus & loading screens

Colors:
No excessive whiteness or light colors. Unity's white loading screens were painful to look at and AC3's light blue color scheme with white text made it hard to read the database.

Subtitles:
The text is often way too small. Allowing the user to increase the font size might be a good idea.

AC4 probably has the best, most intuitive menus in the series. Everything is neatly categorized, the color scheme is easy on the eyes, ambient music and sounds are simple and non-distracting and the background animations are minimal, which is ideal for reading database entries.

Loading screens:
Being able to parkour in Animus loading screens would be nice, as m4r-k7 suggested. I really liked Syndicate's loading screen where objects in the distance kept rising and falling and looked like climbable structures, if only we'd been able to actually reach them.

That's all I can think of for now. Loving everyone else's suggestions so far!

crusader_prophet
06-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Hot damn, official UI feedback! I'm glad the devs are interested in user opinions on this. :)
That's all I can think of for now. Loving everyone else's suggestions so far!

Ding it, why do you have to always make such pretty posts, I feel terrible :p

RVSage
06-27-2016, 06:35 PM

As always great summary, Great points from everyone all around.
The thing that will make really satisfy me ,is getting rid of chests completely (collectables, mission specific chests are okay)

MikeFNY
06-27-2016, 06:43 PM
The thing that will make really satisfy me ,is getting rid of chests completely (collectables, mission specific chests are okay)
I don't mind the collectibles, I like to ignore them and open them when I return to the game after a 1-2month(s) break.

But I do agree that it's not everyone's cup of coffee so it would be nice to have a map filter like Far Cry where if you don't like something you simply switch it off and forget about it.

SixKeys
06-28-2016, 02:55 AM
I don't mind collectibles, but chests hardly even count as such. They're completely pointless, since you always end up with more money than you can spend anyway and all they do is clutter up the map. They don't make sense from a storytelling POV either (who leaves a chest full of money on their balcony?). I prefer collectibles that have story context like Ezio's feathers.

But now I'm getting off-topic.

MikeFNY
06-28-2016, 07:48 AM
IThey're completely pointless
I think we all agree that it would be nice if all collectibles made sense like Ezio's feathers, I believe we touched upon this subject in another thread and clearly, yes, having collectibles linked to the main story or a side mission would be nice.

Although in all fairness there are many other things that don't make sense in the series: Why would anyone destroy 5,000 destructables just for pure fun? :)

Ironically, I believe collectibles is a subject where we can have the best of both worlds.

We often, myself included, suggest new features and tend to forget what other players want. I'm more than sure that someone out there loves to collect all chests and does it for fun and not for the platinum trophy.

So again, include them in the game and add a filter in the map. You don't like them? Turn the filter off and they are gone.

SixKeys
06-29-2016, 01:56 AM
I think we all agree that it would be nice if all collectibles made sense like Ezio's feathers, I believe we touched upon this subject in another thread and clearly, yes, having collectibles linked to the main story or a side mission would be nice.

Although in all fairness there are many other things that don't make sense in the series: Why would anyone destroy 5,000 destructables just for pure fun? :)

Indeed, and such things need to be removed too. I don't think there's a single person who thought the 5,000 destructibles achievement was fun. Neither is collecting 5,000 chests.

So again, include them in the game and add a filter in the map. You don't like them? Turn the filter off and they are gone.

I think they need more feedback on collectibles and chests. A map filter is a fine solution if the chests are so popular that removing them is not an option, but are they really? Are people only mopping them up because there's currently no filter or do they actually like collecting them?

MikeFNY
06-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Indeed, and such things need to be removed too. I don't think there's a single person who thought the 5,000 destructibles achievement was fun. Neither is collecting 5,000 chests.

If you ask me if I they are fun, my answer would be a no.

But if you ask me if I want them to be removed, even in that case I would reply with a no.

I like to finish the main story, collecting some stuff along the way, then take a 2-3 weeks break and go back to the game to perform remaining tasks in order to understand if I really liked the game.

If I am reluctant to go back to it, then it clearly means that I didn't appreciate the game.

I like these "tasks" to be chests, in the case of AC, because they also allow me to take trips down memory lane such as collecting a chest in an area where a main mission took place and remembering that particular mission.

I know, I can roam the map myself, without the need of chests or artifacts to collect but having something to do is always better.

Syndicate's map was a huge improvement over Unity's, the map in Unity was scary to look at with all the collectibles available to open/pick. But again, a simple map filter and the player has utter freedom to decide what s/he wants to see.

You make a valid point in asking who leaves a chest full of money on their balcony so maybe they should be strategically placed like AC2 where many chests were heavily guarded.

Or maybe a side mission where the reward is the location of a hidden chest which rewards you with something worth fighting for.

But ultimately remember, if they are to remove all things in the series that are useless or not fun at all we would end up with a very long list, trust me.

Sushiglutton
06-29-2016, 10:49 AM
The idea that optional stuff do no harm ("if people don't wanna do it, they can just ignore it") seems trivial in theory, but I don't think it works like that at all in practice. On the contrary I think that kind of thinking has lead to the decline of AC in the public mind. All of the criticism like: "it's the same old", "it's just filler", "it feels like a chore to play" etc have something to do with that line of thinking. A better view imo is that everything in the game bears the creators sign of approval saying: "this is a worthwhile activity". Everything needs to hit that quality threshold, otherwise it is better to cut it.

Back on topic:

The way activities and rewards are presented in games like FarCry and Watch_Dogs is not good. How activities is listed with clear indication of when and what rewards will be. That creates a hamster wheel feeling which is not nice. I don't wanna play as an accountant I wanna play as an assassin! Also you don't want to know what your presents are before X-mas!

AC3 had a good idea of moving stuff to the bottom of the screen to clean up the top three quarters (or whatever). Not sure why that was abandoned?

SixKeys
06-29-2016, 08:20 PM
I like these "tasks" to be chests, in the case of AC, because they also allow me to take trips down memory lane such as collecting a chest in an area where a main mission took place and remembering that particular mission.

I know, I can roam the map myself, without the need of chests or artifacts to collect but having something to do is always better.

Why do they have to be chests, though? Why not replace chests with something that's more story-related, is my question. I'm not saying get rid of collectibles completely, I'm saying make collecting them feel like a fun or meaningful task. Like the sea shanties in AC4 where each collected page unlocked a new shanty. Instant reward, fits the story/atmosphere and gives you a good reason to chase down each and every last one.

You make a valid point in asking who leaves a chest full of money on their balcony so maybe they should be strategically placed like AC2 where many chests were heavily guarded.

AC2 was just as bad if not worse about its chests than the rest. Go back and roam around Florence for a while, a huge chunk of chests are placed on people's balconies or next to a group of NPCs who will react negatively if they see you looting. (I always distract them by throwing some coins before going for the chest, makes me feel like less of a thief, lol. :p ) The guarded chests are mostly in Venice and Tuscany and even there they are a minority.

Ubi-Banshee
06-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Hi all!

Thank you everyone who contributed their ideas! I'm currently compiling them into a document and we'll be sending it to the development team by the end of the week.

Really amazing to read all of your thoughtful suggestion and I'm so excited to pass them along :o

Sorrosyss
06-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks Grace, and please pass on well wishes from the community to the dev team. Its awesome of them to invite comments like this. If there are any other topics they'd like to broach, I'm sure we'd be happy to pitch in again.

*cough* Modern Day *cough* ;)

ERICATHERINE
06-29-2016, 09:01 PM
If there are any other topics they'd like to broach, I'm sure we'd be happy to pitch in again.

I second this. ^-^

Ubi-Banshee
06-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks Grace, and please pass on well wishes from the community to the dev team. Its awesome of them to invite comments like this. If there are any other topics they'd like to broach, I'm sure we'd be happy to pitch in again.

Hahaha hint taken ;) I'll inquire what areas they're looking for feeback on next.

MikeFNY
07-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Why do they have to be chests, though? Why not replace chests with something that's more story-related, is my question. I'm not saying get rid of collectibles completely, I'm saying make collecting them feel like a fun or meaningful task. Like the sea shanties in AC4 where each collected page unlocked a new shanty. Instant reward, fits the story/atmosphere and gives you a good reason to chase down each and every last one.

I wouldn't say chests have no meaningful task. They reward you with money with which you can upgrade your character, your ship(BF/Rogue), your hideout, ironically enough they have a much valuable meaning that a shanty which simply rewards you with a new song on the ship.

Having said that, I fully agree with you when you say that collectibles should be re-designed, placed in a more strategic way.

I raised this point in another thread about making small side missions which reward you with money, a weapon, a map, etc.

SixKeys
07-01-2016, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't say chests have no meaningful task. They reward you with money with which you can upgrade your character, your ship(BF/Rogue), your hideout, ironically enough they have a much valuable meaning that a shanty which simply rewards you with a new song on the ship.

Having said that, I fully agree with you when you say that collectibles should be re-designed, placed in a more strategic way.

I raised this point in another thread about making small side missions which reward you with money, a weapon, a map, etc.

Name an AC game that has ever left you hurting for cash before you're halfway in. :p The economy system is highly imbalanced. They've gotten better about it recently, but you still always end up with more than you will ever need thanks to the investment mini-games. So getting money from chests is not enough to make them useful. I would suggest replacing them with something like what ACB and ACR had: rare ingredients that you need to collect in order to complete shop quests (which will ultimately reward you with high level gear) or for building bombs.

ERICATHERINE
07-01-2016, 11:04 PM
I would suggest replacing them with something like what ACB and ACR had: rare ingredients that you need to collect in order to complete shop quests (which will ultimately reward you with high level gear) or for building bombs.

Isn't it sort of what we had with syndicate? The gold chest give plan that let us have gears that can't be obtained by other means. As for the white chest they give us "ingredient" that are used to build the golden chest gears AND some other gears with their plans obtained by doing missions AND get the rooks upgrade AND get the equipment upgrade. In fact, without the white chest we could not have any of these things. Of course there is always some gears that we can buy or win as a reward for doing a mission, but if you want a precise thing that you have to construct , you will need the ingredient. Yes, I know the doing activitys like the fight club, for exemple, give you that as well, but it's way faster to get those ingredient by get the chests. ^-^

MikeFNY
07-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Name an AC game that has ever left you hurting for cash before you're halfway in. :p The economy system is highly imbalanced. They've gotten better about it recently, but you still always end up with more than you will ever need thanks to the investment mini-games. So getting money from chests is not enough to make them useful. I would suggest replacing them with something like what ACB and ACR had: rare ingredients that you need to collect in order to complete shop quests (which will ultimately reward you with high level gear) or for building bombs.

I know, we again agree, there are way too many chests lying around but that doesn't mean that they are not useful.

They have a purpose, to strengthen the financial position of a player who wants to get the best gear from the early stages of the game.

Then granted, when I say "useful" I don't mean it in a good way because I do agree that it's silly to overpower your character simply by spending an hour or two opening chests.

And the problem is that they might as well re-design the concept but still end up with more cash and armour then you actually need. And this, having an overpowered character from the early stages of the game is a major problem of Syndicate.

The helix glitches is a good idea of collectible in my opinion as you're rewarded with knowledge, it will not affect your gameplay, it will not affect the strength of your character and it will not affect the financial resources at your disposal.

For example it would be nice if you meet people as you roam the map who tell you the first part of their story and you get to know the remaining part by finding colectibles along the way.

Dead1y-Derri
07-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Name an AC game that has ever left you hurting for cash before you're halfway in. :p

Syndicate kind of did that...Unless you were into redoing the the side quests over and over again and doing the fight clubs. Earning Money in Syndicate and to a lesser extent resources felt like a grind because you had so many upgrades to purchase for yourself and your gang.

I'll admit I prefer to focus more on the game and gameplay than I do that sort of stuff so in the end because missions only gave you limited amount of finance, I never really got around to upgrading my characters.

I think AC4 got it right in the end, it was generous enough that you still had to do some grinding, especially if you were more focused on the story but it didn't take so long that you felt you had to spend a couple hours just destroying shift for resources. Instead a lot of that came naturally through playing the game, even if you didn't want to explore, it still gave you lot which I think is nice.

I don't think AC games are good when you've got to spend ages playing the same set of side missions just do a few upgrades.

SixKeys
07-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Isn't it sort of what we had with syndicate? The gold chest give plan that let us have gears that can't be obtained by other means. As for the white chest they give us "ingredient" that are used to build the golden chest gears AND some other gears with their plans obtained by doing missions AND get the rooks upgrade AND get the equipment upgrade. In fact, without the white chest we could not have any of these things. Of course there is always some gears that we can buy or win as a reward for doing a mission, but if you want a precise thing that you have to construct , you will need the ingredient. Yes, I know the doing activitys like the fight club, for exemple, give you that as well, but it's way faster to get those ingredient by get the chests. ^-^

Syndicate had different colored chests? I don't remember this at all. By "gears" I assume you mean armor/costume unlocks? It's been a while since I played the game, so my memory on those is hazy.

I'm not a fan of customization options being locked to start with, at least if you're going to show all these cool outfits in the character menu and tease you with "ah-ah-ah, you can't get this cape until you find the right chest out of 1200 in this vast city". At least hide the outfit with a "?" in the customization menu so it'll be a surprise when we find a new outfit in a chest.

But yeah, at least chests that provide some sort of upgrade are more useful than just money. AC4 also did this by providing you with wood, cloth etc. needed to upgrade your ship.

ERICATHERINE
07-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Syndicate had different colored chests?

Yes. ^-^

I don't remember this at all.

Then, here they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_DsDqeXqL8
As you can see, they aren't named golden chest. Their real name is locked chest. I call them golden chest anyway, because their icon, on the map is a yellow version of the basic chest icon. ^-^

By "gears" I assume you mean armor/costume unlocks?

Not just that. I'm also talking about any kind of weapon, may it be a gun, a kukri, a gauntlet, things like that. Also note that the golden chest also give unque materials, which are used to craft gears. ^-^

I'm not a fan of customization options being locked to start with, at least if you're going to show all these cool outfits in the character menu and tease you with "ah-ah-ah, you can't get this cape until you find the right chest out of 1200 in this vast city". At least hide the outfit with a "?" in the customization menu so it'll be a surprise when we find a new outfit in a chest.

Well, to say the truth there is less than 30 golden chests and if we buy the chest map, you can easily find them all. ^-^

But yeah, at least chests that provide some sort of upgrade are more useful than just money.

Actually, they also give 1€ per chest. :p

AC4 also did this by providing you with wood, cloth etc. needed to upgrade your ship.

Yea, but but half of the chest you open that give materials just give less than 5 of the same thing. It's way faster to fight ships. ^-^

SixKeys
07-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Well, to say the truth there is less than 30 golden chests and if we buy the chest map, you can easily find them all. ^-^

Obviously I was exaggerating. :p The fact remains that there's a lot of running around involved trying to open each and every chest to find a particular piece of gear. The London map is huge. It's just not fun IMO. And crafting doesn't change the look of your gear in any way, only the stats, so there's little point to it.

Actually, they also give 1€ per chest. :p

I did say more than JUST money.

Yea, but but half of the chest you open that give materials just give less than 5 of the same thing. It's way faster to fight ships. ^-^

Yeah, I didn't say the chests were great in AC4 either. It's just another game that has a good basis for its economy but is self-defeating in how easy it is to obtain everything you need. You never run out of crew members if you just spend a lot of time on the open sea. They had several side mission types on land which you could theoretically do to recruit crew members, like hostage situations, but I almost never got those because I keep picking up people floating on rafts. It's kind of silly to have this extra content in your game that's so easy to miss entirely because you make it too easy to obtain what you need just by gliding around on the waves.

In any case, I'm saying the IDEA of having ingredient chests instead of pure money chests is good. They just need to balance the economy right.

ERICATHERINE
07-03-2016, 12:00 AM
I did say more than JUST money.

Yea I know. I was just jocking. XD

In any case, I'm saying the IDEA of having ingredient chests instead of pure money chests is good. They just need to balance the economy right.

Yea. Hopefully, ubisoft continu to make chest like that, in ac empire. I also hope they will continu to do collectibles that have a purpose like the helix glitches that expand the lorewhile giving us md info or like the bear, which, if they're all collected, give us one of the 2 most powerful belt for Jacob.

What do you think, about the md collectibles? There were many through out the games.

In ac b, there was the ac ii past days 5 collectibles, which were found in Monterrigionny.

In ac iv there was the QR codes stickers which, when all collected, showed us the symbol of the instruments of the first will. There was also the "pirating pc" collectibles, which showed us many info including 5 about Desmond (I must admit that when I heared the last message from Desmond to his dad, I had some tears on my cheek, at the end).

And in ac rogue there was the tablet which gave us the location of one of the best weapons we can get in the past days. There was also the "repare the systemand pcs" collectibles which gave us even more info, like some about Otso Berg. ^-^

Locopells
07-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Obviously In any case, I'm saying the IDEA of having ingredient chests instead of pure money chests is good. They just need to balance the economy right.

They sorta managed that with bomb ingredients in ACR, also.

MikeFNY
07-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Ultimately it seems we all agree on the fact that collectibles should be:

a. Harder to achieve: "that was tough" rather than "what is this chest doing here, unguarded on somebody's balcony?"
b. Meaningful: "Yes, there it is!" rather than "Oh look, another chest"

In respect to "b", that was my reaction whenever I found one of those golden chests(if I'm not wrong they were gold) which gave me a schematic for the Morrigan in Rogue. And also in Revelations with the bomb ingredients, as Locopells correctly pointed out.

crusader_prophet
07-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Did anyone notice that we were still getting additional items from the chests in AC Unity and AC Syndicate with no purpose for crafting? It seems like they just never bothered to change it since the days of AC 3 where the ingredients from each chest actually had a chance of being useful for crafting. I believe that was the case for Black Flag and Rogue as well. But that pop-up of "Item x Y" became pretty meaningless and shows laziness.

SixKeys
07-05-2016, 01:03 AM
Did anyone notice that we were still getting additional items from the chests in AC Unity and AC Syndicate with no purpose for crafting? It seems like they just never bothered to change it since the days of AC 3 where the ingredients from each chest actually had a chance of being useful for crafting. I believe that was the case for Black Flag and Rogue as well. But that pop-up of "Item x Y" became pretty meaningless and shows laziness.

It's actually weird in Unity and Syndicate, because it's clearly not laziness. Laziness would be having stuff like "wood" and "cloth" pop up in chests, items that were clearly specific to naval games. But the items you get in ACU and ACS are stuff like "jewelry", "antique watch", "silver candelabra" etc. Somebody had to think up those items and write them into the code. So the real question is: why would they go through the extra trouble of giving you items that have nothing whatsoever to do with the gameplay and are distinctly different dfrom the previous two games?

alpacalayer
07-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Honnestly i felt a little sad when I started playing syndicate because the only time i would be able to see jacob with a hood on is on sneaky mode:( and i would be looking everywhere on the internet to find a glitch or a solution, and I know he has to wear a top hat but the two only things you can't take away from an assassin are the hidden blades and the hood. Also I feel like it lost a lot of that special bond game to player you had playing the AC franchise as Ezio that was far the best story of all the games by the way. And something very important you forgot about AC is the environment, when its too open like in London, it loses a lot of the charm it had back then when you could hide in the crowd or behind any building. Im referring a lot to the Ezio franchise because revelations was probably the last game were ubisoft started changing alot and going further in the future, which we don't really need because the weapons and technology were really good in any AC game even thou i really was excepting more from syndicate. Also the leveling up system we way to easy, you just had to conquer all places in London and BOOM you're level 10 plus the level dosen't really matter since I can be level 6, sneak up on a level 9 zone and headshot the boss with my revolver. And there is a lot more but i need to go to the supermarket, just remember to keep the good work:p

''cough cough'' if you got any copies of AC unity i could have you know were to find me ''cough cough''

-tnks for reading

Ureh
07-07-2016, 03:19 AM
Honnestly i felt a little sad when I started playing syndicate because the only time i would be able to see jacob with a hood on is on sneaky mode:( and i would be looking everywhere on the internet to find a glitch or a solution,

Here's one of the temporary glitches/solutions that could work for you. Note: This is temporary because pressing the sneak button, changing outfit, desyncing, (re)playing missions, will undo this.

1. Put on your hood.
2. Travel about 100m away from one of the out-of-bounds areas in the Thames district (South or East exit, both will work). You'll get a message along the lines of "entering unstable data area". But don't enter it.
3. Jump on a boat with Blighters or Police, then enter a fight with them. Don't kill, just stay in the combat stance and survive until Step 4.
4. Once the boat passes the "unstable data" wall, it may try to push you off the boat; so make sure there's some sort of wall, crates, or railing on the boat to prevent that.
5. After ~2 seconds you should respawn in a nearby location while standing up with your hood.

I haven't tested this with the Vampire Evie and Steampunk Jacob outfits (still downloading) but one time Evie's hair was clipping through the hood. If that happens, just retry until desired result.

jdowny
07-30-2016, 05:01 PM
A little late to the party, but I never used the HUD in any of the AC games, so I'm always overwhelmed when I see what it's like with all the HUD options set to ON. It's complete overkill. Like most other triple-A games, I think AC falls victim to 'not knowing when to stop.' You create such vast, detailed, beautiful worlds but you feel like this attitude needs to apply to everything.

I honestly dream of an AC game with an entirely clean HUD. You can use toggle to bring up an HUD by all means, but for me it's like people staring at their mobiles while walking - you spend all your time looking at the HUD that you forgot to look at the world around you.

On that note, there are so many instances where the game breaks the immersion by pulling you away from the world and bringing up a menu. I'm thinking primarily of the game's map and the database entries. I believe everything should be as seamless as possible.

Take the database entries for instance. Rather than removing you to a separate screen when learning about, say, a cathedral, the information could pop up in the game world, with the entry hovering in the air. Obviously you'd need the full database in the game menu somewhere, but if it's possible to have the information appear in-game, it should.

As people have said - more customisation options. The more the better.

Oh and this. So much.

2) Makes tasks feel more like chores: A common criticism of AC is just how pedestrian many activities feel. The HUD is part of the reason way imo. If you come to an island in AC4 and everything is listed and marked on a map then there’s no sense of discovery, no sense of accomplishment, nothing. You just mop up the icons. If you are instead allowed to explore and discover then something as simple as loot may feel somewhat meaningful. Similarly with other mission objectives that are too much in your face.