PDA

View Full Version : Incoming attack indicator.

Sir_Beefing
06-19-2016, 01:10 AM
Ok so i have seen some post about the incoming attack indicator but i wanted to get all the opinions in one place.

This is what used to look like.
http://gifyu.com/images/AttackthenSir_Beefing.gif

The white arrow was defiantly noticeable but at the same time blended well with the UI at the time. It didn't distract from the combat and i feel that it really helped enhance the Immersive experience.

This is the current indicator.
http://gifyu.com/images/AttacknowSir_Beefing.gif

I know this is not a big change from what is used to be but for me it was enough to catch my attention. Through out most of the stage demo this kept distracting me. I would like to see the options to change indicators, if not then im sure its something that will grow on me. what do you guys think about it?

DraxeI
06-19-2016, 01:13 AM
I most certainly prefer the old one.

handheld brando
06-19-2016, 01:23 AM
I most certainly prefer the old one.

I did too buddy but you definitely get used to the new one. After playing with it a bit at the Ubi lounge i adjusted pretty quickly. Its just a bit harder to watch now so defending and paying attention is far more important now.

Killerbrian26
06-19-2016, 02:21 AM
I agree that there should be an option to change it as well. However, even if it doesn't and if the game has a colorblind mode, maybe that will work in place of it? I don't think it's a huge deal honestly but it does bother me a bit.

Fatal-Feit
06-19-2016, 04:56 AM
The new red attack indicator bothers me about as much as most of the the other UI changes, which is a lot since I'm a HUGE UI fanatic. You can have the prettiest game in the world, but the beauty can be easily boggled down by bad UI. A lot of them seemed to have gotten worse, judging from your gifs. The white circle below the samurai, which I wasn't a fan of before, have gotten worse with its stronger glow and slightly fatter lines. The health bar, stamina bar, and emblem have gotten bigger with more glow as well. And I absolutely hate the new white outline on the targeted enemy. We don't need that. It just makes combat feel more artificial, ya know?

I do like that they moved the feats and maps to fill up the bottom of the screen. It's easier to gaze at the feats, although I wish they didn't make them bigger either.

And the revenge bar... I think it fits nicely over the feats.

Casp3r42
06-19-2016, 05:06 AM
I for one prefer the new indicators, but i dislike that the health/stamina bar has gotten bigger and the white circle really doesn't need to be there.

Fatal-Feit
06-19-2016, 05:12 AM
I for one prefer the new indicators, but i dislike that the health/stamina bar has gotten bigger and the white circle really doesn't need to be there.

Honestly, looking at it now, I don't really mind it. The previous design almost masked the beautiful animations, so I hated it, but this one is much more tolerable.

MisterWillow
06-19-2016, 06:10 AM
I prefer the old style myself.

The new one, I thought, made it harder to distinguish between a light attack or heavy attack, since it's all one wide indication of an incoming attack (unless I'm remembering wrong), whereas the old one clearly had narrow arrows for light attacks and wide arrows for heavy attacks.

That being said, once I was playing, I really didn't notice the UI at all, even the health bars. I found myself focusing more on what my opponent was doing and less on what the HUD was telling me they were doing, so I still think the option to disable all UI elements individually should be present.

Having said that, there is a lot going on in the Viking mission at certain points---not only are you dealing with multiple opponents, but also fighting in rain and whatnot---which might make fighting effectively without the HUD very difficult if not impossible (but again, that should be players' choice).

EDIT: On the subject of UI customisation, like last year, Ubi released a commentated gameplay walkthrough, this time of the Viking mission, and with minimal HUD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k

Eidard
06-19-2016, 10:24 AM
I prefer the new red indicators, the old arrow ones were to big for my taste, I didn't play the game so I don't know really how it feels to play with the different indicators, but I prefer the new ones.

And yeah, health bars are to big, the old ones were better, the old white circle was better too, and the white outline makes no sense for me when there is already the white circle to indicate which one is your enemy.

The feats, map objective and radar UI elements are good.

TripleJay_X
06-19-2016, 11:47 AM
don't need any attack indicators....it's like an assist. We show you where the AI hits and you have to defend that side. :rolleyes: There's something called 'Skill' .... my Eyes allready see where he wants to hit and i have to react quickly...or if i don't see the attacks incoming (frome more enemies), i have to dodge away, counter any attacks..... tactical fights :)

The AI doesn't use their legs as second weapon? You know, strike with the sword and then kick me with his feet.

Dead1y-Derri
06-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Maybe the HUD is different in the campaign mode as opposed to the MP mode?

premiumart
06-19-2016, 02:14 PM
I dont really care about the UI yet, maybe after i had a chance to play the game.

Dead1y-Derri
06-19-2016, 02:17 PM
I dont really care about the UI yet, maybe after i had a chance to play the game.

I'll also say I agree with this considering I haven't had a chance to play an updated version of For Honor (Played at Gamescom last year)

So I'm looking forward to playing the game in the future and then deciding.

MisterWillow
06-19-2016, 10:01 PM

It's one of those weird things...

If anyone recalls, I was one of the people on here really wanting no UI at all (still think players should be able to disable it if they want), but after playing it, I really didn't notice it. I really want the beta to drop, so everyone can have an accurate opinion on it.

Yggdrasil_67
06-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Hopefully there will be an option to customize the UI to some extend, at least allowing us to chose between both attack indicators.

Fatal-Feit
06-20-2016, 09:44 AM
It's one of those weird things...

If anyone recalls, I was one of the people on here really wanting no UI at all (still think players should be able to disable it if they want), but after playing it, I really didn't notice it. I really want the beta to drop, so everyone can have an accurate opinion on it.

That's usually my feelings about most anticipated games, for a while. Or most Ubisoft games for a fair comparison. (since they all have UI issues like this) The UI doesn't really affect me until I'm dozens of hours into the game where I've seen nearly everything and the controls becomes second nature. This is when I start to appreciate the little details a lot more (since there's less focus on expecting new things) and that's when UI designs becomes important for me. Of course, that's usually after I've played most, if not all of the game, but I think having a good UI is always a bonus. Especially since we all plan to put at least 100 hours into this game, haha.

Sir_Beefing
06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
100 hours into the alpha of the game :p