PDA

View Full Version : H.U.D

georgeo76
04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
There are alot of realism settings in contention online. And there are some that are so common as to be ubiquitous. Blackouts, stalls, and limited stores are present in almost all so-called arcade servers. And that's a good thing. However, the HUD is as much, if not more ever-present. For me, that's a bad thing. (please note that when I refer to the HUD, I also am referring to the speed-bar as well as the notification text. And yes, I'm aware that the notification text cannot be controlled by the host of a server.)

I love reading the gauges. And proper and efficient gauge reading is a huge part of RW flight ops. I think the HUD is an eyesore and detracts from the immersion of the game. Now I know there are problems w/ gauge size, visibility, and functionality. But wouldn't some of you agree that the HUD is as much a 'crutch' as Icons, WWV, externals, or padlock.

My arguments:

1. The HUD is as effective as modern AC HUD s. It displays almost all the same information (damage status, speed, heading, engine settings, and alt.) In fact, it's often more effective as modern HUD s because it's visible no matter where you look.

2. The HUD is easer to read than the gauges, and cannot be damaged.

3. It also brings things to your attention that otherwise would be difficult to ascertain. Fuel leaks and gun jamming being two examples.

Anyway, this is what I think. What do you think?

P.S. please don't infer that I'm trying to get hosts to change their settings, or that I'm critizising ppl who enjoy the HUD.

[This message was edited by georgeo76 on Thu April 15 2004 at 12:27 PM.]

georgeo76
04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
There are alot of realism settings in contention online. And there are some that are so common as to be ubiquitous. Blackouts, stalls, and limited stores are present in almost all so-called arcade servers. And that's a good thing. However, the HUD is as much, if not more ever-present. For me, that's a bad thing. (please note that when I refer to the HUD, I also am referring to the speed-bar as well as the notification text. And yes, I'm aware that the notification text cannot be controlled by the host of a server.)

I love reading the gauges. And proper and efficient gauge reading is a huge part of RW flight ops. I think the HUD is an eyesore and detracts from the immersion of the game. Now I know there are problems w/ gauge size, visibility, and functionality. But wouldn't some of you agree that the HUD is as much a 'crutch' as Icons, WWV, externals, or padlock.

My arguments:

1. The HUD is as effective as modern AC HUD s. It displays almost all the same information (damage status, speed, heading, engine settings, and alt.) In fact, it's often more effective as modern HUD s because it's visible no matter where you look.

2. The HUD is easer to read than the gauges, and cannot be damaged.

3. It also brings things to your attention that otherwise would be difficult to ascertain. Fuel leaks and gun jamming being two examples.

Anyway, this is what I think. What do you think?

P.S. please don't infer that I'm trying to get hosts to change their settings, or that I'm critizising ppl who enjoy the HUD.

[This message was edited by georgeo76 on Thu April 15 2004 at 12:27 PM.]

lbhskier37
04-15-2004, 01:52 PM
The problem with not haveing HUD is the many planes that you cant read the compass. I usually ignore the HUD anyways unless I am in those planes(or in US plane, mph and ft mean nothing to me) As for notifications they are also needed to know where your flaps and radiators are since there are no visual clues in the cockpit. Ideally in BoB we will have everything setup in cockpit so we dont need things like the HUD.

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/pics/Killasig3.jpg (http://www.il2skins.com/?action=list&whereauthorid=lbhkilla&comefrom=display&ts=1049772896)
Official "uber190n00b"
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." Adolf Galland

PF_Talus
04-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Speedbar is important if you need to navigate in a Russian or British A/C. It's also nice if (like me) you have bad eyes and have a hard time reading the gauges without zooming in on them. As for the actual HUD, I never fly without the pit, so my opinion doesn't matter.

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Talus/Il-2_001.jpg

Gooner01
04-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Hi Georgeo- I have to agree - the HUD IS a crutch. But I still use it. Why? I guess because I'm a bit of a cripple...not a great pilot, but especially after AEP, there are so many a/c to fly that I've never gotten real good at any of them. Only the IL-2, maybe, I never look at the hud in a Stormovik...I suppose I should buckle down, practice, get familiar with the cockpit gauges of more a/c, but I'm just having too much fun flying as many of them as I can, that I still need my HUD. I'm speaking here mostly of the speed bar - I agree, could do without the damage messages - would probably add to the fun to have to figure out what is wrong without it. But I just think I wouldn't have as much fun flying in FB without the speed bar...sigh. And to be honest, fun is what I'm looking for!

S! Gooner