PDA

View Full Version : User Interface Discussion - E3 2016

Eiddard
06-15-2016, 12:23 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about the interface after the past year, I think it is a good time to make a new one with what we saw on E3.

So I will start with my opinion.

In 2015 E3 we could see huge UI elements, we as a comunity soon called the devs out about it, it seems like it did almost nothing, even though we didn't see any multiplayer gameplay to do a good comparison.

One thing new is the white outline of the enemy you are focusin on, I think the white circle was enough, outlining the whole character is too much and it is useless, the camera is already focused on him and we have already a white circle, it is pretty easy to find the enemy, no need for more.

The HP bars are too big, the ones from last E3 were more "subtle", and I found while watching the gameplays that the player hp bar was often on the middle of my vision, it is just really annoying, maybe it would be better to put your character hp on bottom-center or top-left corner of the screen.

There is still the huge thing in your character with the R stick and the 3 stances when you are in the art of battle mode, and I really don't understand that, I mean, you have to focus on your enemy, having that huge thing drawing attention from your enemy makes no sense to me, I think it would be enough to have the same that the enemies has, just a white shape of the current position, it would still give the information of your stance without drawing attention from your enemy, you would only need to add a new mark for when you are in middle stance for some classes such as the oni that can be in a "non-stance/middle stance" position.

I will say that the UI in the Campaign mode was ok, it was subtle enough except for the hp bars and the art of battle stance indicator for your character, the radar in the right bottom was there but didn't draw much attention, same for the feats or the current objective of the mision.

I have checked one thing comparing it to the 2015 E3, when the enemies attack you in duel mode there is no longer the "arrow" thing warning you about their attack, instead the stance mark in their bodies turns red, which I think it is an improvement over the arrow thing.

Kerniac69
06-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I totally agree with you Eidard.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Same here, I had some other suggestions myself, but I already posted a thread in the suggestions section :P

V4nClief
06-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Eidard I'm right there with you on this one my friend. Good news is they still have time to make some tweaks before launch.

FredEx919
06-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks Eidard,

I'll be sending all of this over to the team and reading through everything in the suggestions and feedback threads as well. We want to hear everyone's thoughts.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-16-2016, 01:11 AM
After watching the Warden mission just now I also noticed that in 2 v 1 situations the enemy will not attack you while you fight his friend, you can turn your back on them and have no worries. Even if this is because of difficulty settings, I think they should still gang up, only have overall damage to the player reduced when the difficulty settings are lower to compensate. There needs to be a feeling of having to watch both enemies, and position yourself so that you can fend both off.

AvarusTyrannus
06-16-2016, 01:19 AM
It does seem like this game in particular could stand to have customizable UI options to suit every palate. Just the option to click on or off various aspects would be a boon, scaling them doubly so.

After watching the Warden mission just now I also noticed that in 2 v 1 situations the enemy will not attack you while you fight his friend, you can turn your back on them and have no worries. Even if this is because of difficulty settings, I think they should still gang up, only have overall damage to the player reduced when the difficulty settings are lower to compensate. There needs to be a feeling of having to watch both enemies, and position yourself so that you can fend both off.

That might be an aspect of the various difficulty modes. I can confirm that in the harder modes the various bot attackers do not hold off when you aren't locked onto them. There was however an extra UI element that flashed the direction and attack was coming from if it was made by an enemy other than the one you were locked on. This made it easier to throw your gaurd in that direction for a block without having to leave your current locked target.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-16-2016, 01:39 AM
I'm glad that the harder modes are more realistic, but I still think that their game would do better across casual gamers if they simply decreased damage done to the player, and had multiple opponents attacking.

Altair_Snake
06-16-2016, 02:18 AM
I'm glad that the harder modes are more realistic, but I still think that their game would do better across casual gamers if they simply decreased damage done to the player, and had multiple opponents attacking.
The thing is: the damage isn't everything. All attacks normally stun you and interrupt your own. Casuals could easily feel overwhelmed and even blame "unresponsive controls" if they got ganked, even if it didn't do much damage. But I'd meet you halfway. I think even the easier difficulties should have slightly more aggressive enemies. I mean, they could flank you at least once in a while without actually comboing you and stuff.

I would even addthat they should perhaps have had a higher difficulty level for the stage demo, considering that the guy who played it clearly knew his business.

That might be an aspect of the various difficulty modes. I can confirm that in the harder modes the various bot attackers do not hold off when you aren't locked onto them. There was however an extra UI element that flashed the direction and attack was coming from if it was made by an enemy other than the one you were locked on. This made it easier to throw your gaurd in that direction for a block without having to leave your current locked target.
These are great news. Thank you. So, are difficulty options trully confirmed? Did you get to play the campaign demo at E3?

AvarusTyrannus
06-16-2016, 07:15 PM
I played both campaign demos. The Knight one was much easier. I'm not sure if that is a natural progression of the games campaign (knights vikings samurai), a difficulty choice you can make, or a combination of both.

TripleJay_X
06-16-2016, 07:50 PM
yep, the R-Shield and the HP-bar are distracting the actual fight and kills the immersion of the fight-scene together with all this flashing glowing stuff. But a fixed and a dynamic hud could easily suit all players.....i'm sure there are people who do like this kind of dynamic hud.

DerHerbman
06-16-2016, 08:36 PM
Great post from OP!
I totally agree pretty pretty please, keep it as realistic as possible. Let Blood spread, but no glowing, shiny, flashy special effects! Its just to much. I always wonder why designer use white borders or make character or objects shine. It was ok in the old days, where we needed help to spot things in all the pixels, but today we shouldn´t even need health bars! Just use optical hints, like a character covered in blood is low in health! Or at least make it optional.

Sir_Beefing
06-16-2016, 11:48 PM
After seeing what was show at this E3 i must say that the minimalistic look that was shown at the 2015 E3 and the last alpha had a much more immersive feel to them, there was alot lass going on to draw your eye away from the battle.

Casp3r42
06-17-2016, 02:04 AM
I'm fine with the outline but the health bar seems a bit too big and the white circle below the player and the 'L2' and 'R' that appear over the player are not needed. I think they should make a lot of these things toggle-able in the options.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-17-2016, 03:31 AM
It sounds like a lot of us would be happier with a hardcore mode of this game, where in multiplayer there is almost/no HUD and none of the magical feats are included (Heal, damage buff, Speed buff).

V4nClief
06-17-2016, 02:42 PM
I know for one I'd be mor excited about having a hardcore mode as I'm so not a fan of the fantasy glowing orange chest bump garbage i seen.

handheld brando
06-17-2016, 06:12 PM
It does seem like this game in particular could stand to have customizable UI options to suit every palate. Just the option to click on or off various aspects would be a boon, scaling them doubly so.

This

They told me to make it more easily accessible for people they toned down the difficulty so everyone could get a feel for the game and get through it. The harder difficulties will be far more punishing on picking a fight with multiple people.

SerBigglesworth
06-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Would like to add my own vote for the ui to be toned down to minimalistic/non-existent. The stance indicators particularly stood out and appeared incredibly distracting--we already have the visual cues of the enemy shifting weapon stances so it seems unneeded.

Maybe look toward chiv: medeival warfare for ideas on how to tone it down.

MisterWillow
06-19-2016, 06:29 PM
I played both campaign demos. The Knight one was much easier. I'm not sure if that is a natural progression of the games campaign (knights vikings samurai), a difficulty choice you can make, or a combination of both.

Just for further context for people, they said that the Knight mission was literally the first mission of the game (hence all the tutorials), and that the Viking mission was somewhere around the campaign's half-way mark.

I think it was during the masterclass (but it could have been a personal discussion someone had), but they said that you would play Knights first, then Vikings, then Samurai, in one long series of events (alluding that you would play all the Heroes available in multiplayer to get the feel of them, but not quite confirming it, so don't quote me). If that is indeed the case, I would presume it's a natural progression (since, as you said, the Knight mission was much easier than the Viking), but I presume there will be difficulty options that alter damage taken, Ai aggression, or some other aspect I'm not considering (maybe an 'Elite' difficulty with all the difficulty of 'Hard' but with all the UI elements turned off).