PDA

View Full Version : Are the PF cockpits going to be like the Gladiator's?

ucanfly
06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Just a question since Oleg had made a comment a while ago how impressed he was (as were we all) with thw Gladiator (aka J8A) cockpit technique that was used and how it was to be implemented in future planes.

Will this type of technique/quality be used at all in PF?

[This message was edited by ucanfly on Fri June 04 2004 at 06:02 PM.]

ucanfly
06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Just a question since Oleg had made a comment a while ago how impressed he was (as were we all) with thw Gladiator (aka J8A) cockpit technique that was used and how it was to be implemented in future planes.

Will this type of technique/quality be used at all in PF?

[This message was edited by ucanfly on Fri June 04 2004 at 06:02 PM.]

IV_JG51_Razor
06-05-2004, 01:25 AM
Take a look at the pictures of the Spit cockpit in this week's update over at UBi's IL-2 site!!

Razor
IV/JG51 Intelligence Officer
www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement"

yerpalal
06-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Yes, but those are for BOB.

RocketDog
06-06-2004, 03:54 AM
As far as I can tell, what's clever about the Gladiator and I-185 cockpits (and a few others too) is the clever use of 2-D and 3-D modelling in the same cockpit. In the 185, the gun sight is modelled in 3-D (so roll the aircraft and you can see the shadows flow around it) but some of the more intricate details are actually 2-D "paintings"(there's a big dial down bottom right somewhere which is a good example). Because these objects are just pictures, shadows etc don't move over them as the lighting changes. This compromise is necessary because of the FPS loss that would result from modelling all the details in 3-D.

The clever bit is to do all the essential stuff in 3-D, so that the illusion of being in a cockpit is sustained, whilst keeping all the intricate details as 2-D.

The results are very effective - detailed cockpits and good FPS numbers. Compare the Gladiator and I-185 with the simply dreadful Bf-109 cockpits to see the difference. It's like a different game.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Of course, I might be completely wrong about this - anyone more expert care to comment?

[This message was edited by RocketDog on Sun June 06 2004 at 03:14 AM.]