PDA

View Full Version : Lore and Character Re-Design!

Willaguy2010
06-14-2016, 01:54 AM
So if you take a quick look through the website you'll notice a lot of changes compared to what it was before E3. I've made this thread to help transition the old lore and characters to the new one.

The Knights - Originally known as the Iron Legions, or just The Legions. This faction has been reworked to be more similar to it's historical brethren. The term Iron Legion(s) is now only known as the group whose banner waves over the Knight figure in the cover art. The Warden has been mainly unchanged.

The Samurai - Originally described as desert nomads, the desert part has be written out and it appears that they are also more closely related to their historical cousins. The name The Chosen is no longer seen in the lore of this faction. The only hero from them that is known is the Kensei. This hero appears a bit larger and perhaps more heavily armored than the Oni and wields a nodachi which is basically a bigger version of a katana. The Oni has been spotted in a gameplay video, and everything from looks to combat style seems to be unchanged

The Vikings - Originally known as The Warborn, their lore has be rewritten so that the term "Boiling Sea" is no longer there. They still believe that the Knights inhabit their ancestral homelands, and so mount raids and assaults against them and the Samurai. The name Warborn is no longer seen in their lore. The single known hero class for the Vikings is the Raider. While having the same name as the previous hero, this Raider is armed with a Dane Greataxe, and appears to be an overall larger and stronger hero. The charge and carry mechanic mentioned before E3 2016 can be seen used multiple times in this new hero's arsenal, suggesting this hero took some abilities from the previous Raider. The previous Raider has been spotted in a gameplay video and remains unchanged from what little we knew of him in the past. Also, in one of the campaign videos the protagonist Viking can be heard saying "Warborn are dying!", meaning Warborn could be what they call either their clan, or their entire faction.

Feel free to add corrections for any errors that I made or if I left out information! Thank you For Honor Dev team! This game has exceded my expectations and is shaping up wonderfully!

WYRDB0Y
06-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Yep, much more happy with the rework of the lore. Looks like an alternate history where something cataclysmic happened, which brought these lands together.

Fatal-Feit
06-14-2016, 10:33 AM
I don't want to start any hate train, but I much prefer the old style of the characters. Much more composed looking and the armor designs were a perfect mix of historical and fiction. I think they may have went a little over the top for my taste. They almost look like they're stepping out of a LoL roster with all that vibrance. They've also added boob plates and horns on the Viking helmets, which are another step back for me. A new designer, maybe?

http://i.imgur.com/QpVntkt.jpg

http://images-eds.xboxlive.com/image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6Mnu24_PawYu DYIoH77pJ.X5Z.MqQPibUVTc6NdZq49y_c74LPE_yucYq_0i.m dT33bcZBWeBIfBzIa7ciC.1DbBh2STRZc_94ypKoLS5FdArPqY xttMHnQ8phY5ZHN.azx_sWBBH8PY_SS.NPUw_hi51mOg08cEKj yQOTgHvRqflpFCh6lKgRCOa0BRwhB2r_B4nppXBp9dJUg-&format=jpg

Maybe I just like things more subtle and less bombastic.

Eiddard
06-14-2016, 10:45 AM
I agree with Fatal-feit, I prefer the "old" style, and I don't like the Horn decision for the vikings, even though is just a cosmetic decision from the player, so I can kind of tolerate it.

Now, about the samurai, the Oni armor style looks far better for me than the kensei, but since those are two diferent classes, one with katana and one with nodachi, and I think there is an Oni (or whatever is called now) in the gameplay trailer that looks more like the first image that posted fatal-feit.

About the boob plates, I didn't saw it, I will check the videos to look for it, but if they did add boob plates that was a bad decision.

Still, the gameplay looks really good, good enough for me to not care about some controversy aesthetics.

As far as I can play viking without horns all is good.

eLhabib
06-14-2016, 11:19 AM
I absolutely and fullheartedly agree. I loved the original design - it breaks my heart to see it 'pimped up' like this to appeal to a broader audience (I guess). Too colorful and over the top now. Oh and please get rid of the white outline around enemies in duel mode. It totally breaks the immersion and doesn't actually help that much with seeing your enemy's movement (which I guess it was designed to do).

You had something so fascinating and perfect - why change it? :(

LonesomeStrider
06-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks for compiling the changes. Looks like the remade the lore from just taking inspiration form Vikings, Samurai and Knights, to actually have them teleported from our world into the For Honor world. Honestly I couldn't care less, as long as the fights remain as engaging and fun!

Also looks like they are only showing the Great Weapon wielding heroes for now:

Warden: Greatsword
Raider: Greataxe
Kensei: Nodachi

I'm looking forward to see the nimbler hero variants. Hopefully they're still doing three, but I'd prefer to have less heroes, if the get the balancing right.

Meet you on the battlefield!

Willaguy2010
06-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks for compiling the changes. Looks like the remade the lore from just taking inspiration form Vikings, Samurai and Knights, to actually have them teleported from our world into the For Honor world. Honestly I couldn't care less, as long as the fights remain as engaging and fun!

Also looks like they are only showing the Great Weapon wielding heroes for now:

Warden: Greatsword
Raider: Greataxe
Kensei: Nodachi

I'm looking forward to see the nimbler hero variants. Hopefully they're still doing three, but I'd prefer to have less heroes, if the get the balancing right.

Meet you on the battlefield!

No problem! As a heads up previously there were four heroes per faction, not three.

premiumart
06-14-2016, 09:54 PM
I have to say, i was indifferent to these changes but now i got to agree with all of you who like the old style better. But also i like the progress that was made since last year.

MisterWillow
06-15-2016, 06:49 AM
I have to say, i was indifferent to these changes but now i got to agree with all of you who like the old style better. But also i like the progress that was made since last year.

This is literally what I was about to type...

wa.ke
06-15-2016, 10:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QpVntkt.jpg

http://images-eds.xboxlive.com/image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6Mnu24_PawYu DYIoH77pJ.X5Z.MqQPibUVTc6NdZq49y_c74LPE_yucYq_0i.m dT33bcZBWeBIfBzIa7ciC.1DbBh2STRZc_94ypKoLS5FdArPqY xttMHnQ8phY5ZHN.azx_sWBBH8PY_SS.NPUw_hi51mOg08cEKj yQOTgHvRqflpFCh6lKgRCOa0BRwhB2r_B4nppXBp9dJUg-&format=jpg

I too prefer the old designs. The vikings looked much more realistic and hero-like.
Now they have horns, walk around shirtless wearing tighter pants (both considered unmanly) and that belt on the raider is nothing like a viking belt.
Also, in the campaign during the hook cutscene the protagonist pushes his dying kinsman aside like a bag of humus.
From heros to savages. Outrageous.

Everytime I point this an ubisoft apologist jumps and say "this is a fantasy game", forgetting that developers said "historical fantasy".
Yet the old designs were in the sweet spot.

premiumart
06-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Could it be that we are overreacting here and these are just the story campaigns heroes ? That would explain why they look like leaders and not like common soldiers. Maybe these warriors are on the site because of the singleplayer reveal.

I mean we havent seen any of them on a mp map, have we ?

V4nClief
06-15-2016, 04:37 PM
preimiumart you do mention a very good point. I'm hoping that this might be the case and you're correct. What drew me into this game was it wasn't all mythical creatures, fancy armor, and over the top weapons with lightning bolts shooting out. The game took us back to a simpler yet magnificent time and a world I could immerse myself into. I'm hoping they are not putting in elaborate armor colors and over the top weapons to appeal to an audience. The moment I play against someone and they have rainbow colored armor with a sword that shoots lightning and a 60ft tall dragon i'm done.

premiumart
06-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Well the Kensei kinda looks like a general would, so maybe we will play more as officers and not like leaders.

On the ship in the beginning of the Level the was shown off at E3 the other vikings look more like the old screenshot of a warborn and the raider himself stands out.

On the other hand the description speaks of the Kensei as a group so i could be totally wrong.

(btw i spoted a Oni in the campaign level and he seems to be unchanged, also the viking with the sword and shield. Which probably means that there was no character redesign they are just new heroes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlno_K72sF4 )

WYRDB0Y
06-15-2016, 05:01 PM
The moment I play against someone and they have rainbow colored armor with a sword that shoots lightning and a 60ft tall dragon i'm done.
^ this

LonesomeStrider
06-16-2016, 07:39 AM
Well the Kensei kinda looks like a general would, so maybe we will play more as officers and not like leaders.

On the ship in the beginning of the Level the was shown off at E3 the other vikings look more like the old screenshot of a warborn and the raider himself stands out.

On the other hand the description speaks of the Kensei as a group so i could be totally wrong.

(btw i spoted a Oni in the campaign level and he seems to be unchanged, also the viking with the sword and shield. Which probably means that there was no character redesign they are just new heroes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlno_K72sF4 )

While the Sinlge Player Raider is not exactly my cup of tea either, I found the other Vikings in the background to look fantastic. Liked the look of the female Viking a lot as well. That combination of braids and helmet just looks very kick-***!

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-16-2016, 07:59 AM
I agree the other vikings looked pretty great, for me it was just the raider and the female warrior (Cause wings) that didn't do it. Not a big fan of them making the vikings look more like the Hollywood version then the real version. The samurai though looked great, their armor looked authentic, there were no ridiculous additions like bones hanging on their belts. The mempo for the Samurai boss was great.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Antique_Japanese_%28samurai%29_menpo_2.jpg

Willaguy2010
06-16-2016, 02:02 PM
I updated the thread with new additions seen in various videos. As for the old design vs. new design, Jason said when answering a question that these factions and characters are meant to be exaggerations of their historical counterparts. They did this because they want you to actually feel the emotions and indescribable qualities associated with these great warriors. They wanted you to feel it, not just look at some photorealistic historical depictions. For that I applaud them with the direction they're going!

If you don't like horns there was a video which showed a brief glimpse into Viking customization and there were plenty of variations without horns. As for the revenge thing, it might be For Honor's version of a killstreak reward. In which case I'll have to play the alpha or beta to form an opinion about it. But they've been playing this game for well over a year, they know the complications that could arise that we don't know yet. Maybe some of these changes will make sense when we actually get to play.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-16-2016, 04:15 PM
I updated the thread with new additions seen in various videos. As for the old design vs. new design, Jason said when answering a question that these factions and characters are meant to be exaggerations of their historical counterparts. They did this because they want you to actually feel the emotions and indescribable qualities associated with these great warriors. They wanted you to feel it, not just look at some photorealistic historical depictions. For that I applaud them with the direction they're going!

If you don't like horns there was a video which showed a brief glimpse into Viking customization and there were plenty of variations without horns. As for the revenge thing, it might be For Honor's version of a killstreak reward. In which case I'll have to play the alpha or beta to form an opinion about it. But they've been playing this game for well over a year, they know the complications that could arise that we don't know yet. Maybe some of these changes will make sense when we actually get to play.

I'm glad that you can get rid of your own guy's horns, but I'll still have to see the NPCs with their ridiculous gear. To me being Viking/ Norse, would mean passion and freedom, not primitive savagery (Bone Belt), the Vikings/ Norse wernt savages. I know that the general population has a very narrow view on what Vikings (The Norsemen) were like, but I would personally like to see the vikings return to the design they had at E3 2015.