PDA

View Full Version : Why Are The Vikings Talking English?

YurgenGrimwood
06-14-2016, 01:06 AM
In gameplay trailers and such we have seen that the Knights speak English, the samurai speak Japanese, although changes into English for their enemies and the player to understand, and the Vikings speak English.

What i am slightly annoyed by is that the samurai, has for some reason been allowed to stay ethnically Japanese and include their own language, at least slightly. This is not the case for the Vikings, on the other hand. Although the language Vikings used to speak is obviously not spoken anymore, the same can be said for both English and Japanese. They do not speak exactly like they did before either. But for some reason it's ok to make Vikings speak perfectly pronounced English, when the language Icelandic is already massively similar to what Vikings used to speak.

I believe that the Vikings should speak Icelandic as that is as close as we get to what they are supposed to sound like. You might think this is unnecessary nitpicking, but would you say the same if the samurai had no indication of being Japanese other than being trained samurai? The Vikings in this game are basically Englishmen that chose to fight like Vikings. If you are going to make one of the ethnicities true to history, at least do it with the others as well.

This is also slightly biased by me being Norwegian and feeling a little stabbed in my pride of being so. The Vikings in this game feels slightly lackluster to me as a result of this detail. It makes me more interested in playing as the Samurai, although i would have definitely played as Vikings of the bat if they spoke Icelandic or some other Nordic language.

Jakkaruda
06-14-2016, 01:22 AM
as a fellow "former" viking, i agree. This kind of sacrilegious, salacious discrepancy towards the legecy of my people make the mead in my mouth tast sour. Ubisoft be warned, some of France (same with Canada) was once under viking rule and it can be once more!

- Jakkaruda

/s

Willaguy2010
06-14-2016, 01:38 AM
I gathered from the gameplay that whoever's perspective is being shown will always speak English, or the native gamer's equivalent. Sort of how they do it with the TV show Vikings. I noticed how the Samurai only spoke English towards the end of his monologue, when the camera panned close and almost behind him. I took this to mean that we were looking through his perspective.

WYRDB0Y
06-14-2016, 01:40 AM
I think from what we have seen so far, we can't say that there won't be some kind of Norse language for the Vikings. When you're playing a specific faction it makes sense that they use English for clearer understanding. I agree if they are going to use Japanese for enemy Samurai, then there should be a language for the Vikings when you're playing as an opposing faction.

MisterWillow
06-14-2016, 07:44 AM
I think from what we have seen so far, we can't say that there won't be some kind of Norse language for the Vikings. When you're playing a specific faction it makes sense that they use English for clearer understanding. I agree if they are going to use Japanese for enemy Samurai, then there should be a language for the Vikings when you're playing as an opposing faction.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/41d16086a7bc503d8c6691212d57cc9d/tumblr_inline_mj48licAPx1qz4rgp.gif

MrJoker.
06-14-2016, 09:44 AM
I believe that it is simply easier to understand the game and feel into these roles of " Viking " Most people are familiar with English but Old Norse certainly not .

Fatal-Feit
06-14-2016, 10:23 AM
http://67.media.tumblr.com/41d16086a7bc503d8c6691212d57cc9d/tumblr_inline_mj48licAPx1qz4rgp.gif

Is that a confirmation, Mr. Star? :p

MisterWillow
06-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Is that a confirmation, Mr. Star? :p

I'm... not at liberty to say... :rolleyes::p

V4nClief
06-15-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm all for them to speak their traditional language or at least close to it in the case for the Vikings and just add subtitles. Then again I know there are many who would be annoyed by the subtitles, but hey i'm only one lonely opinion lol.

Altair_Snake
06-15-2016, 07:03 PM
At least it's not Tarzan English like in the show Vikings. Uhrg.

V4nClief
06-15-2016, 09:35 PM
It's the same argument though as when you watch these movies about gladiators (300, gladiator, etc.) Obviously they did not speak English, but in the movies they have to so that it makes it easier for the viewer to follow without being lost or annoyed by subtitles. Really you have to weigh it out would you rather they speak Icelandic and reading subtitles or would you rather English and be able to follow every word? Just a real matter of preference.

ze_topazio
06-16-2016, 12:40 AM
It's the same argument though as when you watch these movies about gladiators (300, gladiator, etc.) Obviously they did not speak English, but in the movies they have to so that it makes it easier for the viewer to follow without being lost or annoyed by subtitles. Really you have to weigh it out would you rather they speak Icelandic and reading subtitles or would you rather English and be able to follow every word? Just a real matter of preference.

Reading subtitles is what we people from non-English speaking countries have been doing all our lives when watching English speaking movies and playing videogames, and we somehow survived, sounds unbelievable, but it's true.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-16-2016, 01:35 AM
I seriously hope that they make the Vikings as authentic as they have the Samurai, except for the name (I can handle not having Samurai, Knights & Norsemen), The raider having horns on his helmet and bones hanging around his waste makes me feel like he is a cheap knock off, I like the way the sword and shield Viking looked from the mission gameplay, but not the wing helmeted female warrior. Those two seem like cheap, knock offs.

V4nClief
06-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Reading subtitles is what we people from non-English speaking countries have been doing all our lives when watching English speaking movies and playing video games, and we somehow survived, sounds unbelievable, but it's true.

Sarcasm noted Sir...If you read I said it's just a matter of preference. My I don't mind subtitles at all, but I'm fine either way to me it's not that big of a deal I'm more focused on game play and customization. It's not like I said,"If there is subtitles I'm going to throw a tantrum, riot, and not buy the game!" No not in the least just saying Ubi cannot please everyone you take one option or the other.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Sarcasm noted Sir...If you read I said it's just a matter of preference. My I don't mind subtitles at all, but I'm fine either way to me it's not that big of a deal I'm more focused on game play and customization. It's not like I said,"If there is subtitles I'm going to throw a tantrum, riot, and not buy the game!" No not in the least just saying Ubi cannot please everyone you take one option or the other.

I don't think anyone here is talking about not buying the game, we wouldn't be so enthused about it if that was a possibility xD
I do like to see this kind of discussion though, as I understand it some of the dev team go through these, and if one of us in our debating/ opinion sharing discussions brings up a point which they havn't thought about themselves, then all the better!

V4nClief
06-16-2016, 04:59 PM
I think you must be confused I was replying to you and I think you took comments out of context

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-17-2016, 02:59 AM
I think you must be confused I was replying to you and I think you took comments out of context

You were replying to Ze_topazio weren't you?

V4nClief
06-17-2016, 02:50 PM
Yes flying I was not speaking to you..if you are going to insert yourself into a conversation please be accurate.

MrPideGY
06-17-2016, 02:51 PM
they culde atlest talk whit accent, but i wulde rather have them talk nordic

V4nClief
06-17-2016, 02:53 PM
They do have a bit of an accent, but more on the british side. At least they don't sound like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-17-2016, 04:38 PM
they culde atlest talk whit accent, but i wulde rather have them talk nordic

I recon it would be nice for them to talk with an accent when we play as them, and for them to talk Nordic as much as the Samurai were talking Japanese when they are enemies, and still with an accent when talking in English (Like the Samurai)

handheld brando
06-17-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm... not at liberty to say... :rolleyes::p

Oh buddy if only we could tell them the things we found out from the Devs.

waraidako
06-18-2016, 07:34 PM
I would like it if they spoke icelandic. Old norse would of course be the best, but that's way more difficult to get right, and modern icelandic is close enough. It would do wonders for the immersion. Let the knights speak english.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-19-2016, 05:12 AM
Oh buddy if only we could tell them the things we found out from the Devs.

If you tell me now, that'l be the end of it, I won't chase you, I won't hurt you, I'll leave you alone. But if you don't tell me, I will find you, I will hurt you, and I will know what the Devs told you.

MisterWillow
06-19-2016, 07:53 AM
If you tell me now, that'l be the end of it, I won't chase you, I won't hurt you, I'll leave you alone. But if you don't tell me, I will find you, I will hurt you, and I will know what the Devs told you.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/come-at-me-bro-santa.gif

King_of_Ricers
06-20-2016, 12:19 AM
If they make vikings speak Nordic they'll also have to make samurais speak Japanese. That means this game will attract all the weeaboos, do you want that? Lol, I sure as hell wouldn't.

MisterWillow
06-20-2016, 04:08 AM
If they make vikings speak Nordic they'll also have to make samurais speak Japanese. That means this game will attract all the weeaboos, do you want that? Lol, I sure as hell wouldn't.

The fact that the game has samurai in it will attract weeaboos, so...

Fatal-Feit
06-20-2016, 05:17 AM
The samurai already speaks Japanese as well.

FLYINGvDUTCHMAN
06-20-2016, 09:04 AM

This ^

King_of_Ricers
06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
The fact that the game has samurai in it will attract weeaboos, so...

Yeah, guess so because now they don't have to read the subtitles!

Weird, all I've seen is them speaking English with these cheesy accents. If they got that they might as well add in proper Nordic language or some phrases at least.

waraidako
06-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Weird, all I've seen is them speaking English with these cheesy accents. If they got that they might as well add in proper Nordic language or some phrases at least.

If you've watched the viking campaign video you've heard them speaking Japanese. Saburo says things like 負ける訳にはいかない! (We must not lose!) and 貴様だったのか? 貴様はすべてを破壊した。(You bastard, it was you wasn't it? You have destroyed everything, you scum.)

Shinkirou_
06-22-2016, 05:50 AM
While we're on the topic of language, Saburo is a very modern name for a samurai.

It's kind of like having the knight hero be called "Bob".

TrikRisk
06-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Maybe you're right. Maybe not. It would seen interesting for me(although I voted for English, sorry. I only saw your argument after voting) to hear them speak their language and really feel like a viking. Maybe they will and we have not yet seen because they didnt want/its "too early" in development.

BoldAlphawolf
06-23-2016, 09:20 PM
it would be more historically accurate if they did, and maybe they do we havent seen a finished product yet, in some situtation's the samurai speak both an english an japanese at some point maybe the vikings will speak there native tongue an english at various point's.

Shinkirou_
06-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Well, just so you guys know, the samurai in the demo were barely speaking Japanese.
Most of it, especially Saburo, were English speakers trying to speak butchered Japanese and the results were cringe-worthy.
So if you want English voice actors to try to speak butchered Norwegian, then I guess it could be a go.

MisterWillow
06-24-2016, 07:34 PM
Well, just so you guys know, the samurai in the demo were barely speaking Japanese.
Most of it, especially Saburo, were English speakers trying to speak butchered Japanese and the results were cringe-worthy.

I said elsewhere that what was in the demo could have been placeholder lines for demonstration purposes.

It was also pointed out elsewhere that this isn't really our world, so even if their Japanese was garbled, it might be correct in context of the game's world. I'll fully admit, that that might be a horrendous excuse for them to not speak the language properly, but it's a rationalisation that should be taken into consideration.