PDA

View Full Version : TOTBD - My Reaction

Hairy Cabbage
06-13-2016, 11:42 PM
I'm not going to come out and instantly start hating this game. I fully intend to play this game, and i can almost guarantee that i will enjoy the experience. That being said, the announcement still hurt a lot. After hearing the rumours of a new trials announcement, my imagination filled with all of the crazy new improvements and features that a new trials game could bring to the floor.... oh boy how wrong i was. Like i said, i will probably enjoy this game, but its not the Trials announcement that i expected, and its certainly not the Trials announcement that i wanted. To me, this is just another indie game that i will play for the 1000 Gamerscore and then never touch again.

Its hard to fathom what you guys were thinking with this game, after the commotion of Fusions launch 2 years ago. Your fans had such high expectations after the mess that was fusions launch, and a new trials game had an unbelievable amount of potential. Instead however, you stripped out every single element of the game that gave it replay value and then released it as a game. I can only hope that this was not the only thing you guys have to show for Trials releases in the near future, because if it is, i fear you may have just lost the confidence of a large majority of your most loyal fan base (myself included).

Edit: as someone who has played a LOT of very high quality platformers, the platforming controls on this game are some of the worst i have ever used. Guess i may have been wrong about enjoying this game after all...+

Edit 2: the platforming controls aren't that bad actually. really enjoying the game.

Papasmur
06-13-2016, 11:44 PM
How is this called trials lmfao

HeyImTawl
06-13-2016, 11:50 PM
before it got announced i whas hyped for trials, after i saw this i actually falled straight back to fusion because that looks way better

ImDempsey
06-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Yea... its bad sorry redlynx you ****ed up

En0-
06-14-2016, 01:15 AM
I'm not going to come out and instantly start hating this game. I funny intend to play this game, and i can almost guarantee that i will enjoy the experience. That being said, the announcement still hurt a lot. After hearing the rumours of a new trials announcement, my imagination filled with all of the crazy new improvements and features that a new trials game could bring to the floor.... oh boy how wrong i was. Like i said, i will probably enjoy this game, but its not the Trials announcement that i expected, and its certainly not the Trials announcement that i wanted. To me, this is just another indie game that i will play for the 1000 Gamerscore and then never touch again.

Its hard to fathom what you guys were thinking with this game, after the commotion of Fusions launch 2 years ago. Your fans had such high expectations after the mess that was fusions launch, and a new trials game had an unbelievable amount of potential. Instead however, you stripped out every single element of the game that gave it replay value and then released it as a game. I can only hope that this was not the only thing you guys have to show for Trials releases in the near future, because if it is, i fear you may have just lost the confidence of a large majority of your most loyal fan base (myself included).

Edit: as someone who has played a LOT of very high quality platformers, the platforming controls on this game are some of the worst i have ever used. Guess i may have been wrong about enjoying this game after all...

Hello Hairy Cabbage,

Thanks for your post.

Here is the message from the team:

Hello, Riders,

We are super excited this week to be releasing our latest game Trials of the Blood Dragon. Our team has put a lot of passion, blood, sweat, tears and a touch of freedom into the game and we can’t wait for players to experience this insane entry in the Trials & Blood Dragon series. Creating this game has been a refreshing and exciting journey and this week, announcing and releasing our game on one of the biggest stages in the world of gaming, is possibly the best part.

As excited as we are, we also recognize that the absence of editor or multiplayer game mode may be unsettling for some of our longtime Trials fans. Trials of the Blood Dragon is aiming at bringing more diversity of gameplay and environments to support an absolutely crazy story. Like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Trials of the Blood Dragon is a stand-alone spin-off from Trials Fusion, mixing elements from the Trials brand with something totally new.

We here at Redlynx have been making Trials games for a long time and we don’t intend to stop anytime soon. We also have a strong desire to grow and improve so it’s important for us to try new things. We loved making Trials Fusion but it was a long process and when it came time to discuss what was next there was a strong desire among the team to try something new. Trials of the Blood Dragon was a perfect opportunity to do just that. It’s been a wild and exciting ride and it has helped us improve as a team & as a studio which will improve the games we make in the future no matter what type of games they may be.

As ANBA would say, “people were worried” but I’m here to say “don’t be.” If the core Trials experience is more of your thing hold tight. Right now we are very focused on the release of Trials of the Blood Dragon but we are a bigger studio than we used to be. Wheels are already turning on future projects. We also aim to involve our community in the development of our games much more than we have in the past. This means we’ll be talking about future projects much earlier in the development process so you’ll likely start hearing about these sooner than you think.

For now we hope you’ll have as much fun with Trials of the Blood Dragon as we had making it and as always, we’ll see you on the leaderboards.

We can answer more questions, but as usual, please remain constructive and polite. Anything outside of the usual forum rules will have the usual consequences.

Cheers,

Papasmur
06-14-2016, 01:19 AM
Lets be honest here, there is very little actual riding in this game (from what I have seen so far from blazes stream), so there is no reason for a game to be called trials whatever. Why is it called trials?
The huge outrage was basically just because people were expecting a new trials game and we got this.

When can we expect an actual new trials game? This year? In 3 years? Never?
Just please don't your answer be ''Soon'' or ''we are working on it, because we are not as small as we used to be, so we can work on more projects at the same time''

Pat1986.
06-14-2016, 02:03 AM
As a huge fan of FC3: Blood Dragon i'm really enjoying the game so far. Especially the soundtrack is superb! Sure, its not another Blood Dragon, as most fans expected it, but for the small price its a really enjoyable game. Unfortunately most Trials fans don't seem to understand, what this is.

Jtrunn84
06-14-2016, 03:53 AM
So it sounds like neither trials fans nor Blood Dragon fans are particularly happy with this release (58% negative reviews on Steam as of this writing). I guess they've been waiting a long time for a true successor to the original Farcry: Blood Dragon, and we've been waiting since the release of Fusion (2+ years) to see another proper trials game.

So this game really didn't satisfy either dedicated group of fans, and frankly I don't know why it was created other than as a quick cash in at E3-- or to buy more development time for an actual trials game. There is pretty much no replay value in this title, and the entire story mode clocks in around 2 hours. Even at $15 that's not what I would call a value, considering how clunky and loose some of the game mechanics look.

Basically it's just a horribly disappointing release all around that more or less makes a mockery of a franchise that used to be synonymous with quality.

Here's hoping for better things in the future with EXTREMELY low expectations.

JKT

Hairy Cabbage
06-14-2016, 04:26 AM
Just posting to say how unbelievably bad the mine cart bike is. How did this pass testing?

YeahimAwesome
06-14-2016, 05:46 AM
I see why they withheld all info/previews about this game until it was available for purchase, I think they knew it would get this reaction.

VEGASTRASH
06-14-2016, 06:11 AM
I didn't think the unicorn could be topped....I was clearly wrong.
Sure, this is a different type of game...but why add Trials to a platform game.
What's developed is done though.

Browse through some YouTube comments. It seems both fans are let down here. Blood Dragon and Trials. It's like blending football and COD.

Ever since Ubisoft got involved, it's been one let down after the next. From low dlc number of tracks, late Mp release on Fusion, unicorn, this. Take a step back and really think about what made your company succeed and stand out in the industry. It wasn't gimmicks. Ubisoft provides more funding...but for what, this?

I prefer RL when they were a smaller company solely focused on creating core greatness in games. It seems with every release there's an obvious unease with where Trials has gone. This being the pinnacle.

YeahimAwesome
06-14-2016, 06:43 AM
This game is gonna make for some entertaining forum reading though.

BeardinUSA
06-14-2016, 07:19 AM
My opinion is this is a super sleazy move. I saw the announcement and went on the xbox live website, was about to click buy. Because "hey, its trials, even when they are bad they are still pretty good."

Luckily, I hesitated and decided to look into the game more. I would have been livid had I unwittingly bought this thing thinking it was a trials game. This seems like a fairly sleazy move trying to cash in on brand recognition. I dont know what this thing is, but it sure as heck isnt trials.

fleskeknoke
06-14-2016, 08:15 AM
When can we expect an actual new trials game? This year? In 3 years? Never?

This must be answered.

Jongie
06-14-2016, 08:48 AM
I bought it yesterday, still downloading.

For myself... i like crazy stuff and i like Trials. So i clicked the download button immediately. For 15 € its absolutely worth a try.

But i have to say... this feels like 'Nah, better than nothing...' and not like 'WOAH!! TRIALS!!'

Hopefully its like they have written in the message and something big is growing on the horizon. Untill then... full support. :)

Will post something more after playing it later today.

En0-
06-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to try to answer most of it.

Also, Vantier pointed out some relevant points already:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1461282-In-defense-of-Blood-Dragon-(While-I-wait-for-the-download)?p=11771403#post11771403

Several questions turn around "what did they expect?" / "what were they thinking?".
To be honest, there is absolutely no surprise on the reactions. We clearly knew it was not a game for the core community and we didn't present it as such. Some players of the core community will enjoy a little shot of Trials craziness but the majority of the few hundreds players composing the core community is not going to be pleased. Outside of the fact it is not what these players expected (a new traditional Trials game), we also knew from the start that we were building the game to be something different and fresh, which would probably have as a consequence the fact that some die hard Trials players wouldn't be on board with this game. This is not a problem as it is not the new direction for Trials, it is only a "spin off". So yep, we knew the game would polarize the opinion and it is what we are observing. Some people love it (for what it is), some people hate it (for what it isn't), and it totally matches our anticipation. We did this game as fans of the Blood Dragon IP and brought our own twist to it and it makes sense as the craziness of Blood Dragon matches well with the craziness of the team (you all know Anba, right?). It was a thrill to collaborate with the original Blood Dragon artists (Dean Evans, James White, Power Glove...) and create a game with such a distinct setting and style. The team was highly motivated for it and had a blast doing it. We're very proud of the result and we enjoy seeing new players on Twitch having so much fun.

Why didn't they announce it before?
It's part of the usual Blood Dragon announcement strategy. It doesn't need to have an early announcement. There is a bigger impact when it is announced and launched at the same time on a big stage like E3. Smaller projects can't use the same strategy as bigger games.

When is the next traditional Trials game coming?
As said in my earlier post, we will talk about it soon (after the summer) but we don't have release date for it yet and it is not officially announced yet. We should be able to talk about it soon (after the summer maybe?).

If I missed a question, please let me know.

Eno

CagBall
06-14-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm quite puzzled by the whole approach of the game - it could work, but I'll have to reserve comment until I've actually played it. Although it doesn't seem to be a trials game - why is it called Trials?

Some people love it (for what it is), some people hate it (for what it isn't),
Eno

I like this.

JoeRegular
06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Oh I'm pretty sure there are some people who hate it ( for what it is ).

I like to try and support RL as much as I can and 12 quid's not a lot of cash, I may pick it up at some point even though the game has almost no appeal to me.

I've pretty much given up hope on the soul ever returning to this series now though :(

Rudemod 69
06-14-2016, 10:54 AM
I want my money back.

Oh wait, I haven't bought the piece of ****, and have no intention of doing.

booped
06-14-2016, 11:50 AM
I was disappointed last night as many players were, as long as there is a top notch full trials with the core trials experience at its heart in the not to distant future I am fairly chilled about RL doing a spin off game to give the development teams some variety :D

braveulysees
06-14-2016, 06:21 PM
First off let me say I was really, really excited for this. I posted as much on the RL forum. After checking out some gameplay on YT, I confess to that excitement diminishing considerably.

However, the points made by vantier and booped are correct. No one is forcing us to buy it. I think most of the hard core trials will check out the gameplay and make an informed choice about whether or not to buy.

So. Chin up fellow trials riders! We've still got fusion, evo(see you on Friday night to the OTHG), HD. It looks like a new traditional trials game is on the horizon.

Its all good. :D

HeavenlyGuy
06-14-2016, 07:50 PM
First off let me say I was really, really excited for this. I posted as much on the RL forum. After checking out some gameplay on YT, I confess to that excitement diminishing considerably.

However, the points made by vantier and booped are correct. No one is forcing us to buy it. I think most of the hard core trials will check out the gameplay and make an informed choice about whether or not to buy.

So. Chin up fellow trials riders! We've still got fusion, evo(see you on Friday night to the OTHG), HD. It looks like a new traditional trials game is on the horizon.

Its all good. :D

I hope so, Im just scared the core gameplay of Trials legacy will be forgotten in future Trials games. And that all Trials games will be like this game.

En0-
06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Hello,

I hope so, Im just scared the core gameplay of Trials legacy will be forgotten in future Trials games. And that all Trials games will be like this game.

I can ensure there is no such plan.

Cheers,

Crimson__Arrow
06-14-2016, 08:30 PM
This is good to hear :). And if Microsoft got around to a backwards compatible release of EVO, that would tide many of us over (on xbox at least), until the new Trials is released. I know it gets thrown around a lot (and I really like fusion), but for tone, content, and quality of gameplay, Trials Evo was fantastic, and still holds up really well.

NSP_I_VeNoMz
06-14-2016, 09:12 PM
This game is seriously growing on me... Was sceptical at first but I'm even enjoying the run and gun parts of the tracks which I thought I wouldn't.

However the minecart seems to be very dodgy; there doesn't seem to be a safe way to land and I've had countless times where I've just flipped over, luckily it's only in about 2 tracks so it won't cause too many problems for people competing on it and going for all A+ times.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for this but, good job to Redlynx, even though it's only a spin-off/side-project it's still fun!

LIONDEN1
06-14-2016, 09:40 PM
wow, I think a lot of these people need to change their diapers. The game isnt supposed to be the Next Trials game. Its a fun little game to hold everyone over till the new one is ready. Just get back into your parents basement, eat your cheetos and get fatter. If ya dont like it, dont play it.

Agoat
06-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Blood Dragon is cool and good. It's not your usual Trials game, but then again Blood Dragon wasn't your usual Far Cry game. I'm so impressed by the vibe and the level design. The dialog between characters is also really fun! I'd have liked to have some technical tracks and the Evo, but that's just not what this game is.

Hairy Cabbage
06-14-2016, 10:45 PM
After playing through the entire game now, i can say I'm actually really happy with it. It has its flaws of coarse (the minecart being the main one + level 17), but as a stand alone game its extremely fun and well worth the price tag. Sure it wont be for everyone, but as someone who plays basically every indie game released and enjoys shooting for challenging achievements, this game is up there for me.

Now, on to some speculation. I may be wrong in thinking this, but perhaps its a good thing they there was no core trials game yet. Think about it... MS just announced its new console coming next year, and I'm sure Sony will be announcing something about Neo soon also. With that in mind, Developers will have known about this for some time. It could be possible that RL and Ubi are planning to release the next big trials game on those new consoles to take advantage of the increased performance etc.

Imagine the improvements these new consoles could allow trials to achieve and what it could do for custom tracks etc.

But yeah, like i said, this is only wishful speculation. I could be completely wrong. xD

Devils_Demon
06-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Personally, as a hardcore Trials rider, I gotta say, I'm loving it. Yes, that will make me a little unpopular around here but I honestly have no problems with it. (I don't mean that the game has no problems, it does, I just mean that I'm fine with the direction they took with it). Of course I would've preferred a new regular Trials but as a side project Red Dragon is better than I expected.
I think what most hardcore riders have a problem with is that since the Unicorn DLC Trials seems to be getting more 'wacky' and we're all just worried that the core gameplay will be lost in future Trials games.
So yeah, I'm loving the game. It's fun, great soundtrack and the track design is top notch.

The way i see it, Eno pretty much confirmed a new Trials will be announced in the next few months and he also assured us that it will retain its core gameplay so in the meantime let them have a couple wacky side projects. Let them let their hair down and branch off from Trials once in a while.

Jeruhnq
06-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Hello, Riders,

We are super excited this week to be releasing our latest game Trials of the Blood Dragon. Our team has put a lot of passion, blood, sweat, tears and a touch of freedom into the game and we can’t wait for players to experience this insane entry in the Trials & Blood Dragon series. Creating this game has been a refreshing and exciting journey and this week, announcing and releasing our game on one of the biggest stages in the world of gaming, is possibly the best part.

As excited as we are, we also recognize that the absence of editor or multiplayer game mode may be unsettling for some of our longtime Trials fans. Trials of the Blood Dragon is aiming at bringing more diversity of gameplay and environments to support an absolutely crazy story. Like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Trials of the Blood Dragon is a stand-alone spin-off from Trials Fusion, mixing elements from the Trials brand with something totally new.

We here at Redlynx have been making Trials games for a long time and we don’t intend to stop anytime soon. We also have a strong desire to grow and improve so it’s important for us to try new things. We loved making Trials Fusion but it was a long process and when it came time to discuss what was next there was a strong desire among the team to try something new. Trials of the Blood Dragon was a perfect opportunity to do just that. It’s been a wild and exciting ride and it has helped us improve as a team & as a studio which will improve the games we make in the future no matter what type of games they may be.

As ANBA would say, “people were worried” but I’m here to say “don’t be.” If the core Trials experience is more of your thing hold tight. Right now we are very focused on the release of Trials of the Blood Dragon but we are a bigger studio than we used to be. Wheels are already turning on future projects. We also aim to involve our community in the development of our games much more than we have in the past. This means we’ll be talking about future projects much earlier in the development process so you’ll likely start hearing about these sooner than you think.

For now we hope you’ll have as much fun with Trials of the Blood Dragon as we had making it and as always, we’ll see you on the leaderboards.

I'm glad your studio make new things, don't really know what new games you can make when your are "the ambassador" of Trials games. All the people want is just another Trials game, it's like saying to a boulanger why he is stoping to make baguettes (Kappa). I'm not surprise by this game and i would completly undertand if RedLynx make a new game who is not 100% Trials. Trials franchise almost reach the top (with Evolution and Fusion), in the futur years we will get 2 options : One BIG epic last Trials or many Trials games with some improvements and regressions for futur years ... I would be surprise if it's the 1st one.

Anyway I didn't play this game yet cause i don't want to put the "maximum price" in a digital game (any informations about a retail version?), if it's stay digital i'll certainly buy it at -50%. I watched some streams and it looks a nice and fun game to play and it has at least leaderboards (the wtf side of the game reminds me that was made by a crazy studio, didn't forget some videos with a tank or someone burning for example). Also it's cool you put a platinum trophy for the game (which is a bit funny now cause Fusion don't have one).

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to try to answer most of it.

Also, Vantier pointed out some relevant points already:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1461282-In-defense-of-Blood-Dragon-(While-I-wait-for-the-download)?p=11771403#post11771403

Several questions turn around "what did they expect?" / "what were they thinking?".
To be honest, there is absolutely no surprise on the reactions. We clearly knew it was not a game for the core community and we didn't present it as such. Some players of the core community will enjoy a little shot of Trials craziness but the majority of the few hundreds players composing the core community is not going to be pleased. Outside of the fact it is not what these players expected (a new traditional Trials game), we also knew from the start that we were building the game to be something different and fresh, which would probably have as a consequence the fact that some die hard Trials players wouldn't be on board with this game. This is not a problem as it is not the new direction for Trials, it is only a "spin off". So yep, we knew the game would polarize the opinion and it is what we are observing. Some people love it (for what it is), some people hate it (for what it isn't), and it totally matches our anticipation. We did this game as fans of the Blood Dragon IP and brought our own twist to it and it makes sense as the craziness of Blood Dragon matches well with the craziness of the team (you all know Anba, right?). It was a thrill to collaborate with the original Blood Dragon artists (Dean Evans, James White, Power Glove...) and create a game with such a distinct setting and style. The team was highly motivated for it and had a blast doing it. We're very proud of the result and we enjoy seeing new players on Twitch having so much fun.

Why didn't they announce it before?
It's part of the usual Blood Dragon announcement strategy. It doesn't need to have an early announcement. There is a bigger impact when it is announced and launched at the same time on a big stage like E3. Smaller projects can't use the same strategy as bigger games.

When is the next traditional Trials game coming?
As said in my earlier post, we will talk about it soon (after the summer) but we don't have release date for it yet and it is not officially announced yet. We should be able to talk about it soon (after the summer maybe?).

If I missed a question, please let me know.

Eno

1. Just by looking to the name of this game you can understand this game will not be a "serious" Trials and more a spin off than the next Trials game we want.

2.Glad this time you did a normal announcement and not give the game to a random guy who make some videos and don't know the franchise (Kappa). Just hope the next "traditional" Trials will have a good announcement too.

3. It looks close to TOTBD but why not :) A new "True" Trials game for the next year ? march, april or may 2017 ?

Devils_Demon
06-15-2016, 12:18 AM
To be honest I was very surprised to see all the negativity from the community. I mean it's clear to see that Blood Dragon was never meant to be a proper Trials sequel. It's very obviously a spin-off. Why it's getting such a massive backlash is beyond me. i have noticed though that it seems to be mostly Trials veterans who are upset. The general gaming public seem to be quite happy with it. I was on Youtube earlier and came across a video from a ninja rider blatantly telling people not to buy it. Even the commenters were agreeing with him. I honestly just don't get it.
The game itself is technically sound, it's fun and imo well worth the small price tag. Granted the on-foot controls are a bit floaty but it's still a fun little PSN game in its own right.

scottmmmmm
06-15-2016, 03:23 AM
Really enjoying it as well. Seems like it will be a good challenge for A+ n high scores, though it was sad to see there was no real difficulty increase as you progressed.

eflixxx
06-15-2016, 07:07 AM
"Blood Dragon was never meant to be a proper Trials sequel." why the hell is it called TRIALS then? Under Ubisoft Redlynx has become one of the scammiest companies in the industry, not an easy task.. "Cheers!" ...

the game is a joke, and they know it. that why they kept the info tight until release, so people would insta-buy it because of the title. its just another scam, like frontier.

En0-
06-15-2016, 08:10 AM
This game is seriously growing on me... Was sceptical at first but I'm even enjoying the run and gun parts of the tracks which I thought I wouldn't.

However the minecart seems to be very dodgy; there doesn't seem to be a safe way to land and I've had countless times where I've just flipped over, luckily it's only in about 2 tracks so it won't cause too many problems for people competing on it and going for all A+ times.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate for this but, good job to Redlynx, even though it's only a spin-off/side-project it's still fun!

Happy to hear you're enjoying!

The minecart is tricky but it's by purpose: it's a vehicle without suspension and with steel wheels.
Making it challenging allows the players to have a wide range of performance (meaning: the one player who will it the perfect driving line and perfect landing will go upwards on the leaderboard). If it would be made easy, everyone would get times close of each other.

However, it may be too tricky and feel unfair but the playtests we did were very positive about it.

My point is: It behaves consistantly but depending on the driving line you choose and how you manage your jumps/landing, you can put yourself in difficult situation.

The minecart is just a variation (no spring, full throttle) of the traditional trials gameplay in a few levels. So persevering will make you progress on it. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Cheers,

En0-
06-15-2016, 08:13 AM
After playing through the entire game now, i can say I'm actually really happy with it. It has its flaws of coarse (the minecart being the main one + level 17), but as a stand alone game its extremely fun and well worth the price tag. Sure it wont be for everyone, but as someone who plays basically every indie game released and enjoys shooting for challenging achievements, this game is up there for me.

Now, on to some speculation. I may be wrong in thinking this, but perhaps its a good thing they there was no core trials game yet. Think about it... MS just announced its new console coming next year, and I'm sure Sony will be announcing something about Neo soon also. With that in mind, Developers will have known about this for some time. It could be possible that RL and Ubi are planning to release the next big trials game on those new consoles to take advantage of the increased performance etc.

Imagine the improvements these new consoles could allow trials to achieve and what it could do for custom tracks etc.

But yeah, like i said, this is only wishful speculation. I could be completely wrong. xD

Happy to hear you are actually really happy.

About new hardware from Sony and Microsoft, we're looking at it carefully. However, they are not "new consoles", as all games for this new hardware MUST work with the original Xbox One and PS4. Which is a little bit a nightmare for a UGC based game. But we're excited to see how we can take advantage of the new hardware. :)

Cheers,

En0-
06-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Hello Jeruhnq,

Anyway I didn't play this game yet cause i don't want to put the "maximum price" in a digital game (any informations about a retail version?), if it's stay digital i'll certainly buy it at -50%. I watched some streams and it looks a nice and fun game to play and it has at least leaderboards (the wtf side of the game reminds me that was made by a crazy studio, didn't forget some videos with a tank or someone burning for example). Also it's cool you put a platinum trophy for the game (which is a bit funny now cause Fusion don't have one).

A 15 euros games can't get a retail version on its own (because the box already cost half of this price about). So, it will be digital only for this one. I am not sure to understand the "I don't want to put maximum price" in a digital game." (It's a 15 euros game).

3. It looks close to TOTBD but why not :) A new "True" Trials game for the next year ? march, april or may 2017 ?

I want to be sure what I said as been understood correctly: we want to TALK about it after the summer.

To clarify the intention:
- Usually, we can't talk about a game with the community before the usual massive announcement. This makes sense in most of the times.
- For the next Trials game, we would like to be able to talk about "some points" with the community very early.
- This requires us to validate that with a lot of people inside Ubisoft and it makes it tricky, but I am confident we will manage.
- The game won't be released before quite a while. It's a very important project and we'll take the time to do what is needed and not rush the release.

Our focus, right now, is to make sure people can experience Trials of the Blood Dragon in the best condition and have a memorable experience. (then, the next focus is to take holidays)

Cheers,

En0-
06-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Really enjoying it as well. Seems like it will be a good challenge for A+ n high scores, though it was sad to see there was no real difficulty increase as you progressed.

Hey Scottie,

Nice to hear you're enjoying too!

There is actually a difficulty increase but for veteran Trials players, it is not obvious (but we couldn't make something that gets too hard as the game was also designed for non Trials players). However, I believe that getting A+ everywhere will be challenging even for veteran Trials players. Also, I think some levels like "Clubbed to death" or are not easy to speedrun consistently.

Oh, by the way, did you unlock the extreme tracks?

Cheers,

NSP_I_VeNoMz
06-15-2016, 12:51 PM
A few questions:

1. Do you get score on the leaderboards for playing the extreme tracks
2. Are there already 'DLC' tracks you can buy?
3. If #2 is true, do these affect the global leaderboards as well

Thanks,

UbiSkyBear
06-15-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm happy to see those of you enjoying the game. It's a spin-off from the Trials series, and a narrative sequel to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, taking place 12 years after its events.

Previous experience with neither is at all needed. It is a self-contained story, with a host of new characters. With that said, it was a natural and fun fit for both brands. We're also happy to see those looking forward to the next Trials game. Let's keep the following in mind!

Please post any questions for the developers here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1461744-Questions-For-Our-Developers?p=11774700#post11774700). Thanks!

StegoIII
06-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I have only played the first couple levels so I will reserve judgement.

That being said I am not really shocked by the backlash from lots of the long time forumers.

We just need to take this game for what it is and know that the next Trials will be the second full game on this generation, so we should be seeing some really awesome stuff at that point.

En0-
06-16-2016, 05:57 AM
Just want to reply to eno (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1461110-TOTBD-My-Reaction/page4) here cause the other thread is close (always cool to see a thread looked when you click on reply).

@En0- I just don't like to buy digital games so i prefere to wait for sales.
I thought you would reveal a new Trials after the summer (which is weird cause you just release TOTBD). Good to know you want to talk with the community for the new Trials game, also just in case you still have a good thread here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1031167-What-would-YOU-like-to-see-in-the-next-Trials-!-Suggestions-Feedback-Compilation) with nice suggestions and ideas (mines are in page #4).

Hello Jeruhnq,

We reopened the thread, so I will answer here.

I understand what you mean for digital games (even if I personally disagree, but I respect your opinion :) )

For the thread of ideas, I can confirm we're aware of this one and some others. I hope that when we'll be able to talk about the game with the community, we will be able to talk about what we are improving, what we are not improving and why.

Thanks,

Eno

En0-
06-16-2016, 05:58 AM
A few questions:

Thanks,

Hi Venomz,

To be honest,I don't know for 1 and 3, I remember talking about it with the team months ago, but I don't remember the final decision. I will check and let you know. (can take a few days as I am out of office).

About the 2, there is no DLC planned. The only extra tracks you can get are the 2 turboflips tracks you get from the Ubisoft Club points.

Cheers,

FlevoHD
06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
After reading through the entire thread, I thought I might drop my thoughts as well.
I was really excited when this game was announced during the Ubisoft press conference at E3. I was hoping there was a new Trials game coming,and there it was. The trailer shown looked sick as well, so I decided to get it frm the XBL Store asap (without checking any more info about the game, I should add)

After an hour of playing the game, I was quite disappointed. I had hoped for a new pure Trials game, and TOTBD is not that. Now before someone replies saying ''it's your own fault, you should've done some extra research'' - I know.
So here's most of my thoughts while playing through the game: I felt the actual Trials gameplay was mediocre at best and the platforming was okay-ish. I must say I hated the mine-cart, jetpack and grappling hook sections of the game at first, and despised the boss-fights (underground vs the spider-like creature and and the end of Hell-evator vs the shooting eye). Upon completion of the game, I didn't have that much positive to say about the game.

At this point however, I've realized why I hated the game so much; I considered it a Trials game. I went into it expecting to beat it easily with very high scores because of my Trials skills, but that's not enough. This is not a Trials game, it's a spinoff that takes the core element of Trials (riding a bike across a track filled with obstacles), and combines it with platforming and shooting elements. Once I stopped looking at TOTBD as a Trials game, I realized my initial hate for the game wasn't really justified. I now find the game a bit more enjoyable, and once I actually get good at the platforming and shooting I might like it even more. At this point, I feel like this game doesn't deserve all the hate it gets at the moment, since most people seem to view it as a Trials game, which it simply isn't. It's a fun game that combines Trials-style riding with platforming and shooting, wrapped in a nicely designed story with some great humour.

To end off my thoughts, I want to give RedLynx some praise for trying out something new. No matter how you look at it, TOTBD is a unique game, and I feel the devs should be appreciated for trying something new. I myself will keep playing TOTBD every now and then, trying to get good enough so I can enjoy it as much as I enjoy Trials.
And in the meantime, I'm also really hoping there's a new actual Trials game coming sooner or later.

Jtrunn84
06-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Just get back into your parents basement, eat your cheetos and get fatter.

What a childish comment. Please try to think of a logical argument instead of resorting to ad hominem and baseless attacks. You're just showing the weakness of your position.

There is an absurd amount of rehashed and recycled content in Trials of the Blood Dragon, and the platforming sections have been pretty widely criticized as the worst part of the game. I haven't played it (certainly won't pay for it), but from what I've seen it looks unbelievably basic for this day and age, especially when revolutionary platformers have been released at the same price point. Revolutionary trials games have as well. This game offers incredibly little in replayability and is WAY below the usual standard for RedLynx.

I don't hate this game for what it is, I hate that it came from a studio that developed my favorite franchise in video game history.

Peace

Farlander1991
06-16-2016, 06:50 PM
A few questions:

Thanks,

Hi.

I'm one of the game designers on the project, so can answer these questions :)

1. Yes, extreme tracks affect global leaderboards.
2. No DLC, but there are two bonus tracks unlockable via Ubisoft Club.
3. The Club bonus tracks affect global leaderboards.

The only track in the game that doesn't affect leaderboards is the introductory 'Enter the Blood Dragon' track, everything else is taken into account for scoring.

Cheers!

En0-
06-16-2016, 09:43 PM
After reading through the entire thread, I thought I might drop my thoughts as well.
I was really excited when this game was announced during the Ubisoft press conference at E3. I was hoping there was a new Trials game coming,and there it was. The trailer shown looked sick as well, so I decided to get it frm the XBL Store asap (without checking any more info about the game, I should add)

After an hour of playing the game, I was quite disappointed. I had hoped for a new pure Trials game, and TOTBD is not that. Now before someone replies saying ''it's your own fault, you should've done some extra research'' - I know.
So here's most of my thoughts while playing through the game: I felt the actual Trials gameplay was mediocre at best and the platforming was okay-ish. I must say I hated the mine-cart, jetpack and grappling hook sections of the game at first, and despised the boss-fights (underground vs the spider-like creature and and the end of Hell-evator vs the shooting eye). Upon completion of the game, I didn't have that much positive to say about the game.

At this point however, I've realized why I hated the game so much; I considered it a Trials game. I went into it expecting to beat it easily with very high scores because of my Trials skills, but that's not enough. This is not a Trials game, it's a spinoff that takes the core element of Trials (riding a bike across a track filled with obstacles), and combines it with platforming and shooting elements. Once I stopped looking at TOTBD as a Trials game, I realized my initial hate for the game wasn't really justified. I now find the game a bit more enjoyable, and once I actually get good at the platforming and shooting I might like it even more. At this point, I feel like this game doesn't deserve all the hate it gets at the moment, since most people seem to view it as a Trials game, which it simply isn't. It's a fun game that combines Trials-style riding with platforming and shooting, wrapped in a nicely designed story with some great humour.

To end off my thoughts, I want to give RedLynx some praise for trying out something new. No matter how you look at it, TOTBD is a unique game, and I feel the devs should be appreciated for trying something new. I myself will keep playing TOTBD every now and then, trying to get good enough so I can enjoy it as much as I enjoy Trials.
And in the meantime, I'm also really hoping there's a new actual Trials game coming sooner or later.

Hey Toamss!

Very interesting to read. I really appreciate your feedback.

About your last point, I said it in a previous thread (if you have the courage you can check my post history (some people call that spam!) to find them. For sure, as a studio, we have no plan to abandon the "traditional Trials" game.

Cheers,

effector10
06-17-2016, 04:45 AM
I gotta say, I like this game A LOT. Trials is my favorite game ever. Blood Dragon was hilarious and was a great throwback to 80's/90's action flicks and wayyy over the top. In fact, both games are over the top.
TOTBD looks great visually, the music is fantastic, and its pure fun. It has humor, alien boss battles, secrets, grappling hooks, etc. Lots of action and cool platforming. I like speed running platformer games ala Super Meat Boy. I will say that the jumping took me a bit to get used to, but once you get it, youre fine.
If you take the Trials name off of it (or even blood dragon) its great for an indie type game. There should be more games like this that try new things. Some of my favorite games were off the wall, imaginative, and generally trippy games. This succeeds very well in that aspect. Also the price isnt bad. I've paid a lot more for games that are barely playable, very short, and lacked overall imagination. I can see me wanting to get great times on some of these levels. I think its that Trials people really love Trials (some only play trials..only game they own hahah) and felt like this was supposed to be a new Trials.. welp it is..its just a spin-off. Blood Dragon was a spin-off between Farcry 3 and 4 and I think it was pretty well received (at least with the people Ive talked to that played it). I dont know... maybe go into it with a more open mind. I love older platformers and this reminds me of some of the classics... just over the top (like the Stallone flick) lol.

edit: Can someone tell me who did the music for this??? I'd like to hear more of their stuff..

End_Of_Assembly
07-13-2016, 08:11 PM
trials of the blood dragon is an amazing game, but to say it's the next real trials game in the franchise is outrageous. it's obviously nothing more than an interesting side project until the real trials comes out.