PDA

View Full Version : Flying 109 with manual prop pitch

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 09:09 PM
This has probably been discussed but, how do you know what the best prop pitch is when flying the 109. Do you try keep the rpm at a certain reading? I'm only trying to compete with my favorite plane in the game.

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 09:09 PM
This has probably been discussed but, how do you know what the best prop pitch is when flying the 109. Do you try keep the rpm at a certain reading? I'm only trying to compete with my favorite plane in the game.

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Generally for combat speed, you want to keep RPM at 2500 and not above. The auto prop now does a better job at keeping it there, but it still isn't as efficient as manual prop.

You raise prop pitch for climbing or for accelerating from a low speed. In a dive, you must cut your prop pitch or risk fatally overreving your engine--if your RPMs go over 2500 for more than a few seconds you're doing damage. You can also cut throttle in a dive and open radiator if you want to check your acceleration.

As your speed increases in level flight, you can cut back prop pitch and increase throttle, while keeping RPMs around 2500.

In a nutshell, for maximum speed, you want as low a prop setting as you can get away with while maintaining 2500 RPM. After doing all this, if you're prop is at 35% and throttle around 103 with boost on you should be going faster than you're used to seeing a 109 in level flight with auto pitch.

(Just keep in mind that at 0 prop pitch the blade is producing minimal resistance and no propulsion.)

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Salute

With the new patch, I think you will find that the autopitch problems will be solved.

So don't know if you want to spend the time learning something you won't need.

If so, then do the following:

In IL-2 FB 'CONTROLS', under 'HOTAS', set your pitch so that it is controlled by your joystick throttle.

Set your throttle so it is controlled by the mouse wheel.

Start on a dogfight server.

Before starting your engine, reduce pitch to 5%.

Start the engine. Then set the engine to 98% using your mouse wheel. Leave it there.

Now using your joystick throttle control, bring up your pitch to add power for takeoffs etc.

Now you need to make sure you don't over rev the engine.

You will need to have your cockpit in max. wide view so you can watch your RPM's.

Max RPM for E models is 2650, keep it to 2500 most times.

Max RPM for others is 2800, keep it to 2700 most times.

I use the following approx. settings to achieve those RPM:

Normal level flight: around 65% pitch

Climbing: Between 85% and 95% (never go 100% pitch)

Diving: Between 10-30% depending on the steepness of the dive.

It requires lots of practice, but you can get much better performance out of the 109's in 1.11 this way. In fact you get absolutely spectacular performance out of the G2. (5,000 ft per minute climbs)

Cheers RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I have a couple of questions:

1) Why is 103% throttle the magic number thrown around so often?

2) Buzz: Did you get your RPM figures (combat RPM and stuff) through trial and error or from official figures from a website or german documents?

XyZspineZyX
11-04-2003, 02:04 AM
Just learning manual pitch pitch and some of this stuff is very helpfull,,, bit disapointed to hear though that all this hardwork gonna be redundant after the next patch.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:10 AM
Not redundant. Manual pitch will help you bring about a tighter turn with better accel. You can make the a/c respond faster if you know what you are doing. (or so I hear).

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:54 AM
Your kidding...its an internal combustion engine....your flying it as if it were a turbo-prop....go down to the nearest FBO and talk to a CFI about complex aircraft, CS props and manifold pressure.

Happy hunting and check six!

Tony Ascaso, RN

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 05:05 AM
Elfunko, the 103% throttle figure was derived from early versions of FB. It was the point where the 'bug' manifested, that kept the RPM level highest possible. The automatic management system in those days, when throttle was set to maximum, dumbed down the prop angle and suppressed the RPM level lower than it should be.

That was fixed after some patches later, but the habit and the rumor stayed alive.

Naturally, it means, in recent versions of FB, 110% is the setting which offers you the highest speed/acceleration, not 103%.

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 05:06 AM
There will always be a need for manual prop pitch so learn it, love it, live it and then it will always be there when you need it most.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:10 AM
I have the hat switch left and right positions as pitch up and down, its like changing gears, and I have gotten used to the sound of the motor as to when to increase or decrease the pitch. You have to plan ahead, but it becomes second nature, except the E and the F models, they are tricky with the lower allowable rpm limits. One good trick with the 109's is to do a tight barrell roll, you'll find the acceleration really jumps during the negative g's.