PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Empire the End of Sages?

Sigma 1313
06-03-2016, 06:52 PM
So multiple people at Ubi have said that AC1-3 was Desmond's saga, and AC4 was the move to a new one. So will next year's game be the end of this current saga surrounding sages?
Desmond's Saga largely revolved around 12/21/12, the apple, and Desmond combating Templars.
AC1 - Desmond is forced by Templars to search for the map in the apple
AC2 - Desmond escapes from templars and trains to fight them, learns about future catastrophe
ACBro - Desmond finds apple, kills lucy, and learns location of vault and day of the end.
ACRev - Desmond pieces himself back together and learns more about why it's important he does what he does
AC3 - Desmond kills Warren, frees Juno, and stops the end.

This ends his saga with the cliffhanger of the freedom of Juno, and each game led nicely into the next.

Sage Saga
AC4 - We learn about sages and John Standish Dies
ACRog - We see Otso Berg, and see the Templars expanding, while attacking assassins
ACUni -Juno and Desmond are in the grey
ACSyn - Templars are making a new first civ body, they have the shroud, and secret support for Juno is rising.
ACemp - ?

While this current saga has done a much worse job at building up the next game, there's still the obvious connection of the sages throughout time, the box, and Juno.

So maybe, AC Empire will be the last game to have this as it's main modern day plot, and it'll bring in something completely new. The rumor for Empire is that there might be 2 sequels. I don't think that the main character having sequels would stop Empire from ending this saga. After all, the american/kenway saga is split between the two modern day sections. Do you think we'll see an end to the "Sage saga" in empire? I personally think the story has been too slow, dragged out, and 5 games is more than enough for this part.

Sorrosyss
06-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Prolly best to throw up a spoiler tag for the more recent games. ;) But my view is...

The Sages have been part of the lore for awhile. The trouble is there technically could be hundreds, or thousands throughout time to discover. In Syndicate we had two even. (One in WW1 London, and the Modern Day supposed son of Desmond).

Whilst the Juno saga rages on, I honestly can't see them going anywhere for the immediate future. Where the story may go beyond Juno is unclear, but the rumours of the planned trilogy will probably mean more of the same for at least a few more games. As they are taking longer with the next game, hopefully the story will be polished to a higher degree despite the similar themes. I'm quietly confident it will.

cawatrooper9
06-03-2016, 07:23 PM
I mean, maybe, that's certainly possible.

I think there's a different way to look at it, though.

AC1-ACIII was the Desmond saga. It's certaintly not perfect storytelling, but it had direction and purpose, and people generally regard it as the pinnacle of the series.

ACIV, ACU, ACRo, and ACS could be seen as more like a transitional saga. We have two stories through two different protagonists of the Initiate and the Floating Tablet (three, maybe, since it's been argued that BF and Ro's Tablets are different people).

The last few games have each been attempts at a soft reboot of the series (which, given the series' age, isn't a bad thing to attempt, so as to bring in new fans). ACBF, in my opinion, serves as the best introduction to the series outside of (and perhaps even including) the very first game. Then, ACU was also slated as a bit of a soft reboot, as even confirmed by Ubisoft. Luckily, nothing really happened in ACU, so ACS could also easily serve as an entryway into Assassins Creed. Outside of Rogue, which I believe was an attempt at a love letter to fans (and, yeah, a cash grab as well) The past few years have all been attempts at reinventing the franchise. I don't think that the past few games have necessarily suffered completely from this, but it's very apparent that there is a weak MD narrative arc emerging because of this.

So no, I don't think that "Empire" is going to be the final chapter in the Sage arc. On the flip side, I don't think that they're going to completely abandon that storyline either (at least I hope not). I think that the year off in 2016 is the team's attempt at really gathering everything up before moving forward so that a new arc can begin. Much like how Phase 2 of Assassins Creed (the transitional stage) didn't abandon the core ideas of the series, nor do I think that Stage 3 will abandon the Sage storyline. Hopefully, it'll just now be part of something bigger and more fleshed out.

Edit: Added spoiler tags on mine as well, good call Sorroysyss

Sigma 1313
06-03-2016, 07:41 PM
That's possible cawa. I don't think phase 3 will abandon the sage line, especially with what was revealed in ACS. However I don't think it'll be the main focus of the next phase like it has been for this one. Juno and Desmond have obviously carried over from the first saga, so I would think that if this phase doesn't wrap up Juno's timeline, it would bring her, and maybe Desmond, into the next phase too.

I personally think that Empire will see the first civ bodies begin to be created, Juno will take one of them over (maybe have an Ultron esque thing where she can switch bodies as needed), and use her sway across the planet to start a purge of humans that are rich in first civ DNA (because they can fight back) while trying to use Desmond's son to bring back her husband. Phase 3 would be the actual fighting her. Perhaps using the animus to find a new PoE that can kill her, or trap her again. Or Ubi could just completely throw something new into the mix.

SixKeys
06-04-2016, 10:32 PM
I can't wait until the entire Juno saga is done and we'll move on to something interesting, TBH. She has done jack-all since AC3, I don't particularly care if she and her husband ever get back together.

BujinTao
06-04-2016, 10:42 PM
I can't wait until the entire Juno saga is done and we'll move on to something interesting, TBH. She has done jack-all since AC3, I don't particularly care if she and her husband ever get back together.

She's planning to drag everyone on the entire planet into the grey. That's pretty something.

ze_topazio
06-04-2016, 11:04 PM
AC1, 2, Bro, Rev and 3 is the "Desmond Saga".

AC4, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate is the "We have no idea on how to continue the modern day story so here's some vague stuff about the Assassins and Templars vaguely doing something saga".

SixKeys
06-04-2016, 11:14 PM
She's planning to drag everyone on the entire planet into the grey. That's pretty something.

Yeah, but she's been planning it since 2012 and we're still no further to seeing it happen.

Megas_Doux
06-05-2016, 12:06 AM
AC1, 2, Bro, Rev and 3 is the "Desmond Saga".

AC4, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate is the "We have no idea on how to continue the modern day story so here's some vague stuff about the Assassins and Templars vaguely doing something saga".

THIS!!!!!!!

That's what pretty much happened/is happening right now.

Namikaze_17
06-05-2016, 07:30 AM
But I like the Sage concept. :(

I specifically like each iteration Aita comes in whether it be a Templar, Common Man, or something in-between - each with their own unique personality. Besides, we still don't have an Assassin one yet ( even though that Al Mualim retcon is still on the table) it would just be a waste to end it now.

Don't let it end because Juno can't get her **** right. :rolleyes:

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Next AC is the last one...

I don't think there will ever be an end to Assassin's creed. Even when Juno will be killed, there will still be the Templars and maybe even the sage, if they continu to appear after Desmond's son. Also, even if Juno is dead, if the sages continu to appear, there might still be the instrument of the first will. After all the sages are reincarnate forms of Aita. ^-^

cawatrooper9
06-07-2016, 09:17 PM
It might be kind of cool to have the main character be a sage, and go through that existential crisis of realize it kind of like how Germain described.

With the non-Animus reasons for gameplay as well, we could avoid the "why didn't he see his First Civ memories" plot hole, but with the animus we could attribute the early visions to the bleeding effect.