PDA

View Full Version : I 16 engine cutout

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 12:59 PM
I've just been reading a very detailed history of the I-16 and there is not one mention of engine cutout problems.
I'm referring to the tendency of the I-16's engine to cutout when the stick is suddenly pushed forwards.
This seems to have been introduced in FB and wasn't in IL2 original.

Surely this a bug - is it to be fixed in a patch?

It would be nice to implement this feature on Merlin engined aircraft though, because they did cutout, which famously allowed the fuel-injected 109 to escape by outrunning otherwise-faster spitfires by diving.

McN

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 12:59 PM
I've just been reading a very detailed history of the I-16 and there is not one mention of engine cutout problems.
I'm referring to the tendency of the I-16's engine to cutout when the stick is suddenly pushed forwards.
This seems to have been introduced in FB and wasn't in IL2 original.

Surely this a bug - is it to be fixed in a patch?

It would be nice to implement this feature on Merlin engined aircraft though, because they did cutout, which famously allowed the fuel-injected 109 to escape by outrunning otherwise-faster spitfires by diving.

McN

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 01:19 PM
What kind of engine the I-16 had - a carburetor or injection engine? Carbetor engine will ever have probs during -G's loads, as it already simulated with the Hurricane Mk.I and its Merlin III. Later Hurricane Mk.II and their Merlin XX had that -G load problem solved with a implemented diaphragm.

http://www.geocities.com/kimurakai/SIG/262_01011.jpg

"Kimura, tu as une tĂÂȘte carĂ©e comme un sale boche!"

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi Kimura,

I've just checked and the I-16's engines weren't fuel injected, so as you say, they would be prone to cutouts on negative G.

It just seems to me that if the cutout problem was as severe in reality as it was in FB that it would have been mentioned in the history, especially in relation to the 109, the I16's main opponent in WWII, which was immune to the problem.

McN

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 01:53 PM
I think it's a bit overmodeled. If this was true like it is now they would change the stick so you can't move the stick forward.

Right now 1/2 second stick forward and you got a dead engine. This can't be true /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 02:29 PM
I can understand why the I-16 cut-out during negative G's but what I fail to grasp is the fact that the engine will not restart while it is still rotating.

If you stall the I-16 engine and have sufficient airspeed/altitude, the engine rotates and should re-start after establishing positive G's. This is the issue I'd like to see corrected. Make the I-16's engine behave more like the Hurri's.

Mtn.

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Yes- there are two issues.

Firstly the engine shouldn't quite as sensitive as it is to -ve g.

Secondly, it doesn't make sense that you can't restart whilst the prop is turning the engine. Perhaps that's realistic - but I doubt it.

McN

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 08:57 PM
mcnalu wrote:

- Secondly, it doesn't make sense that you can't
- restart whilst the prop is turning the engine.
- Perhaps that's realistic - but I doubt it.

That's not realistic IMO, I recently went to Midnight sun Airshow
and saw a plane with carburettor. The plane did several
neg G maneuvers but the wind kept the prop running and
and as soon as G went positive the engine got fuel and
roared to life.
The speaker also mentioned this, and though planes are
different, the laws of physics are the same for all planes.

Sorry for the lecture, hope it helped.

<center>

http://www.moomin.fi/pics/logo.gif </p>
<center>

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Death you die from, me you have to live with/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </p>

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 11:09 PM
At takeoff and with a lot of turbulence the force feedback of my joystick makes big shocks and the engine cuts out if I don't press it like Hulk. Stressing!!! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 11:15 PM
That's probably the only bad thing about the "Rata"./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif