PDA

View Full Version : Is this really necessary?

MaceoniK
05-30-2016, 11:22 PM
http://s33.postimg.org/3vi1i42cv/ACS_unnecessary.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/aypwxq7sb/full/)

Even with all the hud options set to "hidden", the button prompts and instructions shown in this image (plus many more) still appear in game. I get that this stuff can be helpful for new players...but to not include an option that turns all this clutter off is ridiculous. I mean, how hard is it to remember a simple control scheme after you've played a game for more than a couple of hours anyway?...Imagine if in GTA V, every time you stood near a car it said "press Y to enter"... honestly, It's as if this game was made specifically for alzheimer's patients.

http://s33.postimg.org/4fpcvxein/ACS_unnecessary_2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/tlqb2rfsr/full/)

The rope launcher does require the icon to indicate when and where you can use it, but does it really need to constantly remind you what button to press?

This had to of been a massive oversight by the developers, because if it wasn't, they must honestly think everyone who plays this game is an utter moron. I should mention that there is a lot more nonsensical ___ about this game I could point out...I only mention this one because it's the most frequently annoying.

It's as if they made this stuff compulsory based on what people said after play testing the game for 30 minutes...oh wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0QPx7nSLc

We didn't need all this ___ in the previous games, and we don't need it now.

ERICATHERINE
05-30-2016, 11:51 PM
I don't understand why you say it's anoying. After I play the game for a short while, I'm so consentrate while playing that I don't see them anymore. In fact, I so much don't see, that I sometimes have to search for them, when I need to see the marcker. This happen a lot with the map personal marcker. If they are there, it's because they have to. It's not like they take half of the screen space, you know. You just miss a little dot/line of the screen space which is often on the edge of the screen (at least, in my case). So, it's not like if when they are there, you don't see something important. :-\

Sushiglutton
05-31-2016, 12:02 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to make this thread! Excellent feedback and something that has annoyed me forever! Designing good HUD options just has to be trivial in the scope of things. And yet similar things to this happens in every game. Here's another one which is pretty funny :)

http://theimagehost.net/upload/2673e344ae4c3928e3906284e6971440.jpg

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 12:13 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to make this thread! Excellent feedback and something that has annoyed me forever! Designing good HUD options just has to be trivial in the scope of things. And yet similar things to this happens in every game. Here's another one which is pretty funny :)

http://theimagehost.net/upload/2673e344ae4c3928e3906284e6971440.jpg

Oh no, I so much wanted to watch a blue sky without this little line in my sight. :rolleyes:

Assassin's creed is not just about what we see for me. Like for nearly every game that is not sport, it's about the story, more importantly. I like every ac games not because they have the absence of the hud, but because they have a good story. The hud in video games is as important to me as then a door that can't be opened or closed. ^-^'

Sushiglutton
05-31-2016, 12:38 AM
Oh no, I so much wanted to watch a blue sky without this little line in my sight. :rolleyes:

Assassin's creed is not just about what we see for me. Like for nearly every game that is not sport, it's about the story, more importantly. I like every ac games not because they have the absence of the hud, but because they have a good story. The hud in video games is as important to me as then a door that can't be opened or closed. ^-^'

To each their own. I find it annoying and like I said it must be pretty easy to have an option to disable on screen text. I mean it's not like you have to choose between having a story or having the option to turn off the mission objective.

Megas_Doux
05-31-2016, 12:44 AM
No, it is not!

However don't underestimate some user's 'lack of skills'/ common sense, so to speak......

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 12:57 AM
I mean it's not like you have to choose between having a story or having the option to turn off the mission objective.

I wasn't saying it must be either one or the other. I'm saying there is many subject way more important than the hud, like the ac movie or the lore. ^-^

No, it is not!

However don't underestimate some user's 'lack of skills'/ common sense, so to speak......

I don't understand why you talk about "lack of skill". From my point of view Assassin's creed have gameplay as simple as a 3 year old game. The new player or the one who want to finnish what they are doing as fast as they can or the ones who like great finnishing move can counter-kill. The more advanced player or the ones who don't want to see great finnishing moves can choose to pary and attack. The hud have nothing to with the lack of skill. If you want to turn the hud off, good for you, but there is many other sbject way more important, like I wrote above and if you do turn off the hud, it don't show that you have great skills. It only prove you played the game enough times to know what you will do next or where you will go next.

On a different note this make me remember this. XD

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/pokemon/Rock+tunnel/fmbbGsz/

Edit. Man why does my picture are never shown when I put them in my comment. :-\

MaceoniK
05-31-2016, 02:08 AM
I wasn't saying it must be either one or the other. I'm saying there is many subject way more important than the hud, like the ac movie or the lore. ^-^

Just because I've pointed out a small grievance you disagree with, doesn't make it completely invalid, (importance is irrelevant), I never implied that this is the games biggest problem, in fact it's far from it.
Why you wouldn't support the idea of including the simple option for people who like to play with no hud is beyond me, your reaction should be "yeah why not, doesn't bother me"

I don't understand why you talk about "lack of skill". From my point of view Assassin's creed have gameplay as simple as a 3 year old game. The new player or the one who want to finnish what they are doing as fast as they can or the ones who like great finnishing move can counter-kill. The more advanced player or the ones who don't want to see great finnishing moves can choose to pary and attack. The hud have nothing to with the lack of skill. If you want to turn the hud off, good for you, but there is many other sbject way more important, like I wrote above and if you do turn off the hud, it don't show that you have great skills. It only prove you played the game enough times to know what you will do next or where you will go next.

On a different note this make me remember this. XD

Edit. Man why does my picture are never shown when I put them in my comment. :-\

I suspect what Megas_Doux means by "lack of skill" is the inability to remember simple button commands, if you seriously need to be reminded to press LB every time you want to use the rope launcher, or press B to drive, you not only lack skill, you also lack regular brain function.

Your definitely overthinking this, the more you post the more muddled and confused you seem to be, I'm not even sure you even fully understand what the op is pointing out.

Megas_Doux
05-31-2016, 02:33 AM

I've been here for more years than my current username, in and out due to different reasons. In fact I began lurking these forums since the months before AC II's release date and I can assure you I've seen many, MANY complaints you could call unjustified in regards about the difficulty of some tasks/mission in the franchise....And not only here in the forums I might add....

Take ACU, for instance. Granted!!! Unity's release was just BAD, plain awful, but for many one the worst aspects of that game is how hard its combat is. Not just to some few users here but also in youtube, facebook, twitter, press articles and other forums. Claims like "I want a real assassins such as Ezio back, for the guards keep killing weakling Arno" or "engaging half dozen of guards is no longer entertaining because they kill me" and even "I can't call other assassins for help and I ended up dying". That point was a rather common on the majority of ACU reviews.

Let alone things I've seen through the years such as "The platforming levels are so hard and get lost that often I wanted to smash my controller to the screen". "The Kingdom doesn't have enough directions and I get lost frequently" or "I purchased AC I after AC II and ACB and I cannot pass after Robert De sable/Al mualim for I don't know what to do....Really?????

Immersion is a BIG issue for me, that's I understand the OP in terms of this oversight being somewhat of annoying. However, I do think this fanbase is a little bit "spoiled" in terms needing to have things explained to them and deveps know it.

Ureh
05-31-2016, 03:08 AM
I don't understand why you say it's anoying. After I play the game for a short while, I'm so consentrate while playing that I don't see them anymore. In fact, I so much don't see, that I sometimes have to search for them, when I need to see the marcker. This happen a lot with the map personal marcker. If they are there, it's because they have to. It's not like they take half of the screen space, you know. You just miss a little dot/line of the screen space which is often on the edge of the screen (at least, in my case). So, it's not like if when they are there, you don't see something important. :-\

Yeah I think I know what you mean. I agree that most of the hud elements should be on, by default, so that newer players, less experienced, olders gamers, anyone who needs, or isn't bothered by it can just play without having to worry about tinkering in the menu. The rest of the players who don't want it can easily turn it off in the menu. And having the hud on isn't a bad thing at all, because we get to see how much work they put into the interface. Examples: We can see how the ssi responds; the enemy dots on the mini map and if they're synchronised with their actual cone-vision - which was a pretty big problem in AC3 for me at least because some of the guards seemed like they were looking away but the mini map indicated that their line of sight was elsewhere; and of course for a different style of story/art immersion because we are in an animus after all so it makes sense that some players want that virtual/matrix display.

I don't want to guess how much time and effort it would take to implement a fully hudless experience since I'm just a casual gamer, not a developer. But on subsequent playthroughs when I've built enough confidence and experience, I do want hudless experience. Just as an example, and because ACU is the most recent current-gen AC I've played, even when the hud is completely off there's an objective marker telling me where to go. It's not really needed because the path is pretty linear and it's one of the most beautiful scenes in the game so I'd like to get some clean footage.

So yeah, having the hud on doesn't hurt the experience, but having the option to disable it completely wouldn't hurt either.

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 06:58 AM
Just because I've pointed out a small grievance you disagree with, doesn't make it completely invalid, (importance is irrelevant), I never implied that this is the games biggest problem, in fact it's far from it.

First, I never said it's completely invalid. Secondly, importance is not irrelvant (I'll explained why after the next quote). And finnaly with this quote, did I said you implied it was the games biggest problem? It think not. You should watch this video between 0:53 and 0:58. You would learn something true about life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohOMAzuWNg

It's like she said. "often when we guess out others motive we reveal only our own".

Why you wouldn't support the idea of including the simple option for people who like to play with no hud is beyond me, your reaction should be "yeah why not, doesn't bother me"

First, because they will not do it with syndicate, after so much time has passed since the release. Secondly (now read carefuly, because I'll tell you at the same time why importance isn't irrelvant), because since if ubisoft really do it it'll be in a future ac game, I would way more like that they pass that time on improving things that needs way more improvement and that are way more important, like the md or the story.

I suspect what Megas_Doux means by "lack of skill" is the inability to remember simple button commands, if you seriously need to be reminded to press LB every time you want to use the rope launcher, ..., you not only lack skill, you also lack regular brain function.

The showing of the L1 bouton (I play ac on PlayStation) is not just there to remember us how to use the ropelaucher. It's mostly there to show us when you can us it and (in lateral use) where where you will go if you use it. So, I think you missed something there and that something is memory.

Yeah I think I know what you mean. I agree that most of the hud elements should be on, by default, so that newer players, less experienced, olders gamers, anyone who needs, or isn't bothered by it can just play without having to worry about tinkering in the menu. The rest of the players who don't want it can easily turn it off in the menu. And having the hud on isn't a bad thing at all, because we get to see how much work they put into the interface. Examples: We can see how the ssi responds; the enemy dots on the mini map and if they're synchronised with their actual cone-vision - which was a pretty big problem in AC3 for me at least because some of the guards seemed like they were looking away but the mini map indicated that their line of sight was elsewhere; and of course for a different style of story/art immersion because we are in an animus after all so it makes sense that some players want that virtual/matrix display.

Exactly. This at 100%. You deserve my favorite happy smiley. ^-^

Take ACU, for instance. Granted!!! Unity's release was just BAD, plain awful, but for many one the worst aspects of that game is how hard its combat is. Not just to some few users here but also in youtube, facebook, twitter, press articles and other forums. Claims like "I want a real assassins such as Ezio back, for the guards keep killing weakling Arno" or "engaging half dozen of guards is no longer entertaining because they kill me" and even "I can't call other assassins for help and I ended up dying". That point was a rather common on the majority of ACU reviews.

And that point isn't mine. When I said Assassin's creed have gameplay as simple as a 3 year old game, I was talking about every ac games I played which are ac 1, ii, b, re, iii, l hd, ro, u and s. So, yes I think ac unity is as easy as walk in the park. You want it to be easy? It's simple, you just have to follow these steps.

1) you want to be able to resist more hit? Buy the armors pieces that give the max health you can get while buying the ones with the 5 gold studs and upgrade them all.

2) you want the ennemies to stop attacking you while you still attack them? It's easy. Just go get the the suger sword in dead kings as soon as you can and upgrade it not only to cause more damage, but also the flash to happen more often and on a longer distance.

3) while you're at it buy the best pistol you can get and upgrade it.

4) before each combat, always make sure you have full ammo. Most importantly the med kit, the ammo for the pistol, the ones for hidden blade and the smoke bomb. You know what to do with them.

5) never start a fight without having full health.

6) always make sure your pistol and your hidden blade are fully reloaded, before an important/big fight. If you have to reload, make sure to buy the ammo, before the fight.

And finnaly, 7) go get all the skill point you can, as fast as you can and equip them on what is really important first, like the lockpick skills which will let you get other skill points.

Follow these seven rules in ac unity and you will practically never be killed. ;-)

MikeFNY
05-31-2016, 07:55 AM
The showing of the L1 button (I play AC on PlayStation) is not just there to remember us how to use the rope laucher. It's mostly there to show us when you can us it and (in lateral use) where where you will go if you use it. So, I think you missed something there and that something is memory.
Not to be pedantic, but it's actually the other way round.

You can use the rope launcher before the L1 appears and no, it doesn't always show your final destination as the beginning of this video clearly shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vDTr9enGY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vDTr9enGY)

I'm also not entirely sure the reason why we get to see "L1" so many times is to remind us that this button will trigger the rope launcher, it's more like, "Hey, we added a new functionality, it's fun, use it. What? You haven't used it yet? It's there! See, L1, do it, what are you waiting for?"

I mean yes, I know you added this silly new functionality but please no need to remind me about it with every step I take.

I actually prefer the Uncharted approach where in the first few chapters you are forced to do certain actions so as to get this big message on the screen showing you what button to press.

But then you're on your own.

MaceoniK
05-31-2016, 12:08 PM
First, I never said it's completely invalid. Secondly, importance is not irrelvant (I'll explained why after the next quote). And finnaly with this quote, did I said you implied it was the games biggest problem? It think not. You should watch this video between 0:53 and 0:58. You would learn something true about life.

It's like she said. "often when we guess out others motive we reveal only our own".

I honestly don't know where to start with what's wrong with this comment, so I simply won't waist my time, as it would be completely unproductive.

First, because they will not do it with syndicate, after so much time has passed since the release. Secondly (now read carefuly, because I'll tell you at the same time why importance isn't irrelvant), because since if ubisoft really do it it'll be in a future ac game, I would way more like that they pass that time on improving things that needs way more improvement and that are way more important, like the md or the story.

I don't know what you think it would entail to implement such a small addition to the hud options, but I can assure you it's nowhere near as complicated and time consuming as you seem to think. This is purely a negligent oversight by ubi, with a very simple solution, that wouldn't adversely affect anyone

The showing of the L1 bouton (I play ac on PlayStation) is not just there to remember us how to use the ropelaucher. It's mostly there to show us when you can us it and (in lateral use) where where you will go if you use it. So, I think you missed something there and that something is memory.

In response to ^ this ^, I refer you back to what I said underneath the second image in my OP... You see...this is the type of stuff that makes me think, you either didn't read or just didn't understand the OP.

Exactly. This at 100%. You deserve my favorite happy smiley. ^-^

Maybe you should read the last sentence in Ureh's comment, instead of just the first. lol

]And that point isn't mine. When I said Assassin's creed have gameplay as simple as a 3 year old game, I was talking about every ac games I played which are ac 1, ii, b, re, iii, l hd, ro, u and s. So, yes I think ac unity is as easy as walk in the park. You want it to be easy? It's simple, you just have to follow these steps.

1) you want to be able to resist more hit? Buy the armors pieces that give the max health you can get while buying the ones with the 5 gold studs and upgrade them all.

2) you want the ennemies to stop attacking you while you still attack them? It's easy. Just go get the the suger sword in dead kings as soon as you can and upgrade it not only to cause more damage, but also the flash to happen more often and on a longer distance.

3) while you're at it buy the best pistol you can get and upgrade it.

4) before each combat, always make sure you have full ammo. Most importantly the med kit, the ammo for the pistol, the ones for hidden blade and the smoke bomb. You know what to do with them.

5) never start a fight without having full health.

6) always make sure your pistol and your hidden blade are fully reloaded, before an important/big fight. If you have to reload, make sure to buy the ammo, before the fight.

And finnaly, 7) go get all the skill point you can, as fast as you can and equip them on what is really important first, like the lockpick skills which will let you get other skill points.

Follow these seven rules in ac unity and you will practically never be killed. ;-)

You really do have a problem with taking things completely out of context...I don't like to speak for other people, but it's pretty obvious that Megas_Doux was simply defending his/her use of the phrase "lack of "skill" by using anecdotal evidence to point out why ubi decided it was necessary to include all these "hand holding" type features. So why you felt the need to reply with ^ this ^ is truly baffling.

Sorry to Megas_Doux if I've misrepresented what you said...if I have please correct me.

Sorrosyss
05-31-2016, 12:40 PM
I understand why they leave the indicators across the screen. I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally refer to them, but then I have the memory of a... where was I?

Oh yes. The easiest solution would be to have more HUD adjustment options, and for those who want it off completely to offer it. Every player is different, and the more playstyles you cater for, the better. That being said, I do think the simplified UIs of the older games were far less cluttered compared to Unity and Syndicate.

Sushiglutton
05-31-2016, 01:12 PM

Of course and they are much more complex. The movie costs like what $100MM+, involves thousands of people and require years of work. Fixing the HUD I would assume can be done by one person working for a couple of days (based on what modders are able to do). It's weird that Ubi doesn't nail this aspect. I have a couple of theories why (maybe people who works in gaming can confirm?).

1) It's done late in development. Seems reasonable that this is one of the last things you complete. Given how the games are basically ducktaped to even function at launch it makes sense why this aspect is not polished to perfection since it's not game breaking.
2) Data shows a very small percentage of players customize their HUD.
3) Playtesting shows that players who turn off the HUD get stuck and are unable to continue if the game doesn't supply info despite the player having turned it off.

Not saying eihter of those are true, but they would make some sense. I know the Witcher 3 has included updates of the presentation in every patch up til now, so I guess this is an area that more studios struggle in.

MikeFNY
05-31-2016, 01:20 PM
3) Playtesting shows that players who turn off the HUD get stuck and are unable to continue if the game doesn't supply info despite the player having turned it off.

This, for me.

Nothing(sort of) will make me change my mind about the fact that the main objective of Syndicate was to make the game as easy as possible.

Unity was frustrating and for many, frustrating = stop playing because it's too difficult.

Syndicate is the complete opposite, I already explained why and will not bore you with copy/pasting.

Had they developed Syndicate in a way to be challenging that would have meant two frustrating games in a row and that was a risk not worth taking considering the state of the series.

cawatrooper9
05-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Regarding the rope launcher- it's very similar to the grappling hook in the Arkham games. Offhand, I don't remember how exactly it worked, but if I recall correctly, the RB button wasn't constantly on the screen- just when you were trying to use that button.

Can someone verify that?

SixKeys
05-31-2016, 04:39 PM

It's annoying af when you're trying to take screenshots. Getting good, cinematic screenshots in Syndicate is almost impossible because of the damn rope launcher prompt that keeps appearing no matter which way you face. (I understand its importance to gameplay, but if the user says "turn off all HUD elements", it should turn off all HUD elements.)

Totally agreed OP and Sushiglutton. In general I hate how everything has to be overexplained. What's wrong with a simple "interact" instead of "follow", "reach", "open", "shake hands with" etc. etc.?

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 06:34 PM
no, it doesn't always show your final destination as the beginning of this video clearly shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vDTr9enGY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vDTr9enGY)

I actually watched the entire video and I saw that you're wrong. I don't know if you counted the "going up fonction, but by saying where we will go if we use it I was talking about lateral use only. Every time he used the ropelaucher's lateral fonction, I saw the marker and the rope was always launched where the marker was. Did you even wtched the video before puting it while nearly calling me a liar or you just didn't read my entire comment? :rolleyes:

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 07:00 PM
To maceonik, I think you just don't know what to say judging by what you write. I'm in my right of not wanting that to happen and you you can't seem to accept it. Like I said you want to turn it off, good for you. As for me, I don't aprove that and it's my right. To all others. Since I'm the only one on my side, I'll let you discussed this pathetic subject after I put my video. On my side, I prooved my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Ah, this video always make me smile. ^-^

MikeFNY
05-31-2016, 07:05 PM
I actually watched the entire video and I saw that you're wrong. I don't know if you counted the "going up fonction, but by saying where we will go if we use it I was talking about lateral use only. Every time he used the ropelaucher's lateral fonction, I saw the marker and the rope was always launched where the marker was. Did you even wtched the video before puting it while nearly calling me a liar or you just didn't read my entire comment? :rolleyes:

I was merely replying to your "the rope launcher is mostly there to show us where you will go if you use it" comment.

I don't know what you mean by "lateral use", I simply pointed you to a video where the first time the rope launcher is used, the player clearly has no idea where he will finish.

I didn't call you a liar, there was no need to hurt my feelings like that.

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 07:10 PM
I was merely replying to your "the rope launcher is mostly there to show us where you will go if you use it" comment.

I don't know what you mean by "lateral use", I simply pointed you to a video where the first time the rope launcher is used, the player clearly has no idea where he will finish.

I didn't call you a liar, there was no need to hurt my feelings like that.

By lateral I meant from a roof to another. And now, the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wO5TnYaJ4o

Edit, and if you think what I said hurt your feeling, you clearly don't know what it's like to go to school, year after year after year etc. While having every students of the class (when it wasn't literally all the school except two persons), with even some teachers, who intimidate you with that continuing in the school bus. When I was at the end of my last school year some teachers showed us some movie of person who the "same problem" for a couple of month. They always crying and doing stupid stuff like reading the message of the people who intimidate them at school. One time a teacher kept me after class to hear my comment, so I said what I was thinking while I watched the movie. Those persons are weakling. i never cryed for that kind of stuff, only for family death. All that time passed at school was the good part of my shool days. The worst was after the school. The worst was to live with my dad. No mater how much I got intimidated at school, my dad was always the worst.

I don't know your life man, and if I hurted your feeling, excuse me, but if THAT hurted your feeling, know that it was nothing compared to what I lived and I never cryed about it.

Sushiglutton
05-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Well that escalated a bit. I don't think either of you had any ill intent for what it's worth. Both made reasonable ponts, now it would be time for milk and cookies if we weren't a world apart :D!

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Well that escalated a bit. I don't think either of you had any ill intent for what it's worth. Both made reasonable ponts, now it's would be time for milk and cookies if we weren't a world apart :D!

Your comment makes me think of this video. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzODSegjW8

MaceoniK
05-31-2016, 09:09 PM
Edit, and if you think what I said hurt your feeling, you clearly don't know what it's like to go to school, year after year after year etc. While having every students of the class (when it wasn't literally all the school except two persons), with even some teachers, who intimidate you with that continuing in the school bus. When I was at the end of my last school year some teachers showed us some movie of person who the "same problem" for a couple of month. They always crying and doing stupid stuff like reading the message of the people who intimidate them at school. One time a teacher kept me after class to hear my comment, so I said what I was thinking while I watched the movie. Those persons are weakling. i never cryed for that kind of stuff, only for family death. All that time passed at school was the good part of my shool days. The worst was after the school. The worst was to live with my dad. No mater how much I got intimidated at school, my dad was always the worst.

I don't know your life man, and if I hurted your feeling, excuse me, but if THAT hurted your feeling, know that it was nothing compared to what I lived and I never cryed about it.

That was a harrowing insight into your psyche, and explains a lot...I am sorry for your plight.

ERICATHERINE
05-31-2016, 11:01 PM
That was a harrowing insight into your psyche, and explains a lot...I am sorry for your plight.

Thanks, but you don't have to be sorry. I'm sure you aren't one of the many people who intimidated me back in my school days and you surely aren't my father. Seriousky, man I don't have a single memory of him smiling or saying good things to me. He even "borrowed" me aroung a thousand dollard without telling me and he did it not once, but twice. I had a old money collection with the most important part of it that have vanshed after he went home. Spent years of my life collecting these cents and he just took it with my rarest, which nobody in all the banks I've went to, either knew from which country it was or how much was it worth. Before I moved to where I live now, he gave me every pieces of furniture he had in the house. The result? A couple of months later, he selled 7 of them. When I was little he traumatized me by hit my but as hard as he could to punish me for the littlest thing like the time where my fish died and me crying about it enraged him. Some days ago, I learned from my mom that he disinherited me to give everything he has to his new wife and or kids, in a way I get nothing. When he teached me how to do things, it wasn't for me able to do it if needed. It was for me to do it every single time. For me to be his slave at home all I missed was the whip lash. :-C

SixKeys
06-01-2016, 03:49 AM
I don't know how we went from "AC's HUD is too cluttered" to personal problems, but okay...

crusader_prophet
06-01-2016, 02:56 PM
I don't know how we went from "AC's HUD is too cluttered" to personal problems, but okay...

I think he/she wants us to not complain/cry about simple AC HUD problems considering the personal trauma and pains he/she has went through (which I am sorry for).

ERICATHERINE
06-01-2016, 09:08 PM
he/she has went through (which I am sorry for).

Thanks, but you don't have to. Only the ones who, intimidated me or my father should feel sorry for what they did to me.

cawatrooper9
06-01-2016, 09:26 PM
"Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish them for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree."- Altair, Assassins Creed

The cool thing about these forums is that we're all free to express our opinions. It doesn't matter if someone disagrees with us, because they're just as free to express themselves here as we are.

That being said, I can see how ERICATHERINE would not want the HUD to be fully customizable. Doing so would take away valuable time from other aspects of the game that ERI might care more about. How much time? Well, we cannot really say- it could be 10 minutes, it could be 10 weeks. I work with technology and software, and I'm well aware that with complications and testing, a task that should be simple and quick can easily turn into a much larger pain in the butt.

SixKeys
06-01-2016, 10:11 PM
"Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish them for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree."- Altair, Assassins Creed

The cool thing about these forums is that we're all free to express our opinions. It doesn't matter if someone disagrees with us, because they're just as free to express themselves here as we are.

That being said, I can see how ERICATHERINE would not want the HUD to be fully customizable. Doing so would take away valuable time from other aspects of the game that ERI might care more about. How much time? Well, we cannot really say- it could be 10 minutes, it could be 10 weeks. I work with technology and software, and I'm well aware that with complications and testing, a task that should be simple and quick can easily turn into a much larger pain in the butt.

The thing is that they've done it before. It's only since AC4, I believe, that we've been unable to turn some elements off no matter what (like in Sushi's screengrab). AC1-ACR and probably AC3 you can turn off every single HUD element and you won't have any leftover missions markers hanging on the screen. If they've done it before, why should it be a problem now?

cawatrooper9
06-01-2016, 10:19 PM
The thing is that they've done it before. It's only since AC4, I believe, that we've been unable to turn some elements off no matter what (like in Sushi's screengrab). AC1-ACR and probably AC3 you can turn off every single HUD element and you won't have any leftover missions markers hanging on the screen. If they've done it before, why should it be a problem now?

Again, I'm not really arguing against them, I'm just pointing out how someone could conceivably be opposed to it.

The thing is, ACIII is kind of an old game now, at least by industry standards. So old, in fact, that we're a few AC engines ahead of it now, not to mention an entire console generation! As I've said, this could be a ten minute fix. It could be longer. We don't know. So, all I'm saying is that it makes sense that someone who isn't really all that invested in this particular issue wouldn't want production to be bogged down by this unknown peroid of time spent fixing what, to them, isn't really an issue in the first place.

ERICATHERINE
06-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Again, I'm not really arguing against them, I'm just pointing out how someone could conceivably be opposed to it.

The thing is, ACIII is kind of an old game now, at least by industry standards. So old, in fact, that we're a few AC engines ahead of it now, not to mention an entire console generation! As I've said, this could be a ten minute fix. It could be longer. We don't know. So, all I'm saying is that it makes sense that someone who isn't really all that invested in this particular issue wouldn't want production to be bogged down by this unknown peroid of time spent fixing what, to them, isn't really an issue in the first place.

Exactly. My oncle is a computer scientist (sorry if It's not the correct word, I had to search in an english-french dictionnary) and I often was there when he repaired my grand mother's computer. He is really skilled with things like that at the point where big companies from other country engaged him a couple of times, but thing is, the computer of my grand mother sometimes took him way more time to repair some software at the point where something that would have took only a couple of minute took him the entire day to repair and sometimes even a big part of the night. And those was just simple software from what he said, so I think it would be way tougher to repair something like that. Plus, from what bungie.net wrote about their update of destiny each time they touch something like that all the other program can be affected and sometimes it can cause problem to those program that wasn't touched like bigger problem to the program touched by the update.

I don't want another version of unity's released state.

SixKeys
06-02-2016, 01:19 AM
Exactly. My oncle is a computer scientist (sorry if It's not the correct word, I had to search in an english-french dictionnary) and I often was there when he repaired my grand mother's computer. He is really skilled with things like that at the point where big companies from other country engaged him a couple of times, but thing is, the computer of my grand mother sometimes took him way more time to repair some software at the point where something that would have took only a couple of minute took him the entire day to repair and sometimes even a big part of the night. And those was just simple software from what he said, so I think it would be way tougher to repair something like that. Plus, from what bungie.net wrote about their update of destiny each time they touch something like that all the other program can be affected and sometimes it can cause problem to those program that wasn't touched like bigger problem to the program touched by the update.

I don't want another version of unity's released state.

I concede that oftentimes a coding issue that seems like it should be easy to fix can create a dozen problems elsewhere. To me, though, the HUD in general definitely needs more attention than in recent years, both in terms of its customizability and its look overall. Syndicate's HUD was an absolute mess. WAY too much information on the screen. AC games should be focused on atmosphere and nothing helps immersion better than turning off all the game-y elements and just enjoying the beautiful world as if you were watching a movie. The excess of on-screen information has led to a feeling of the games being dumbed down, as if the player couldn't figure anything out on their own unless there's a big, red, blinking arrow pointing directly at your target. I don't need to see a level number floating above the enemy's head to tell me I'm too weak to face them head on. Their body build and highly decorated uniform already tells me they're no ordinary foot soldier. The old games were always good at telegraphing you all the information you needed without having to spell it out. Hey, see that eagle circling up in the sky? There must be a viewpoint nearby. Hey, see that guard who's walking with his sword drawn out instead of it being inside its hilt? Must mean he's actively looking for you. And so on. When I say I want the devs to focus on the HUD, I'm saying I want them to respect my intelligence as a player to figure out the rules by myself, and to highlight the beauty and atmosphere of the world they've created instead of cluttering up the view with all these unnecessary elements.

Mr.Black24
06-02-2016, 03:38 AM
I concede that oftentimes a coding issue that seems like it should be easy to fix can create a dozen problems elsewhere. To me, though, the HUD in general definitely needs more attention than in recent years, both in terms of its customizability and its look overall. Syndicate's HUD was an absolute mess. WAY too much information on the screen. AC games should be focused on atmosphere and nothing helps immersion better than turning off all the game-y elements and just enjoying the beautiful world as if you were watching a movie. The excess of on-screen information has led to a feeling of the games being dumbed down, as if the player couldn't figure anything out on their own unless there's a big, red, blinking arrow pointing directly at your target. I don't need to see a level number floating above the enemy's head to tell me I'm too weak to face them head on. Their body build and highly decorated uniform already tells me they're no ordinary foot soldier. The old games were always good at telegraphing you all the information you needed without having to spell it out. Hey, see that eagle circling up in the sky? There must be a viewpoint nearby. Hey, see that guard who's walking with his sword drawn out instead of it being inside its hilt? Must mean he's actively looking for you. And so on. When I say I want the devs to focus on the HUD, I'm saying I want them to respect my intelligence as a player to figure out the rules by myself, and to highlight the beauty and atmosphere of the world they've created instead of cluttering up the view with all these unnecessary elements.
Not to mention that Ubisoft always boasts that they have teams all around the world working on a AC game, I doubt that they don't have the power to turn off the HUD options compared doing a running animation or complex A.I scripting.

Plus, removing HUD options does turn up the difficulty, making the player focus on the world around them to figure out problems, so thats a plus.

LoyalACFan
06-02-2016, 08:29 AM
TBH I'm a fan of the environmental popups that Syndicate has (e.g. "Press LB to enter windows"), I think they look a hell of a lot nicer than the big grey boxes that would pop up with control instructions in older games; so much so that I tried copying that technique myself for a tech demo in UnityEngine. That said, they don't need to pop up every damn time you do each of those activities. It would probably be an obnoxious feature to code, but perhaps they could implement a feature that determines whether or not to display a control popup based on the length of gameplay time that's passed since the last time you successfully completed that task? Like, if you haven't entered a window in >5 hours of gameplay time, it'll show the popup in case you forgot how to do it?

But generally, I'm in agreement, Syndicate's static HUD is one ugly mofo.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/11792041_682493148518264_2578346515554082603_o.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hSC9fyG8MP4/maxresdefault.jpg

Okay, so what can we lose here? The gold character icon, certainly... No actual function there. The mission objective... ugh. I hate always having that up there. Splinter Cell Blacklist did a cool thing where they wrote the mission objectives into the actual game space, and it disappeared after a short time (granted, it was an extremely linear game, but AC could do something similar at mission chokepoints). Here's a pic just to illustrate what I'm talking about.

https://samwongpic.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/splintercell_ui.jpg

The optional objective ought to be relegated to the pause menu like old times, and the Create Opportunities thing is covered in the opening cutscene. The green dot on the minimap is fine for that. Same goes for the purple one, like dude, we know we have the key, we just frickin' got it. The puppeteer control thing onscreen is a totally outdated trend, it ought to go. Having the health and minimap be one thing is nice and streamlined, though.

As for the fight club picture, well, I think AC should avoid Syndicate's combat system like the plague moving forward, including the combo counter, so that can be axed. And... do we really need to be told to defeat our opponents?

MaceoniK
06-02-2016, 09:38 AM

My sentiments exactly!

As for how hard it would be to rectify the HUD options...I found a file in the game directory called "devtest" that can be opened with notepad++, and it seems to suggest that the function already exists. I assume this file is related to some kind of cheat menu that the developers used to debug and playtest the game while working on it.

http://s33.postimg.org/u6dqgrl9r/devtest.jpg

While also being pretty insightful in lots of other ways, I suspect the part I've highlighted refers to what I pointed out in my OP (obviously just a guess).

Maybe a solution could be as easy as, adding a line to the "AC.ini" configuration file...just like we currently can to fix the "30fps cloth lock"

MaceoniK
06-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Just to clarify...my problem is not with the fact the HUD elements depicted in my OP exist (I'm sure they're helpful to a lot of people), it's the fact that you cannot turn them off. It's especially weird that you can't turn these specific elements off, when you consider that in most other games, these things are usually resigned to tutorials or the first few levels.

I should also clarify that, I'm not naive enough to think ubi will do anything to amend this, I'm pretty sure all support/updates for ACS has ceased by now.

BananaBlighter
06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
I agree that Syndicate's HUD can look really cluttered and annoying, especially when trying to take screenshots, but I think it's a bit unfair to call people who need them unintelligent. We do need the ability to turn it all off, but often it is impossible to play without certain prompts. I know you've been saying that all you really want is options, but your title implies that you think these prompts are not needed and many would interpret this as you not wanting them at all.

Often the prompts are important, if not necessary, to tell us when we can press and when we can't. For example, when shoving a kidnapped target in to a carriage, sometimes you can accidentally let them go rather than shove them in because you press the button at the wrong time. Imagine how much more difficult this would be without the prompt. Because at the end of the day, the system is really inconsistent with when you can and cannot press, so you cannot let the player judge for themselves in moments like these and you have to let them know what the system is thinking. The rope launcher is a perfect example here. Some things though, like tackling, should have been left up to the player.

Though I think that what you were getting at was that the prompts aren't necessarily bad, but they shouldn't display the button as that can look quite ugly. For example, with the rope launcher, it wasn't necessary to have the prompt showing the L1 symbol, and it could've just been a target or a cross sign. I would've been less immersion breaking if instead of showing the button and the action next to it, the object (whether that be the carriage door, the haystack or the body etc.) simply glowed or showed an outline like in previous games. Even better, for those who want these things turned completely off, we could have more contextual indicators like player putting their hand on the carriage door when the system says it's OK to open it. However these things would be harder to spot and I can see why many players wouldn't want this. Many just want to relax, and giving the exact button means they don't even have to think about what they're doing, pressing the button is almost instinctive for them.

The mission objectives I am fine with. It would be impossible to know where to go without them, though at times it can be a bit excessive like with the GPS on the carriage, and many including myself would like the ability to turn it off and let ourselves work out the route. Ideally the missions should be designed like AC1, where all the required information is given to you and so it is perfectly possible to play with zero HUD for those who want to work out things like directions for themselves. I for example never put markers for missions. When I want to play a mission, I look on the map and find the icon, remembering its position in relation to certain landmarks (which would be much harder without the 3D map). Then I make my way to some high ground so that I get get my bearings and make my way towards the mission. It feels much more authentic this way. For some though this would be annoying.

Finally I just want to point out that the 'entering blighter territory' is something that I actually use a lot and in some ways wish it was clearer. Because I don't use the minimap, often I have no idea that I've just entered a restricted area and can sometimes get in to a fight and accidentally kill the target, completing the mission which I was saving to play another time, the stealthy way. With the prompt this becomes avoidable.

Differing feelings on the matter are why we need more options. Even if the system is inconsistent and any player would find it near impossible at times to judge when to press or not, some people may be fine with that if it means a less cluttered screen. And not with just this, with everything. Difficulty too for example.

SixKeys
06-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Finally I just want to point out that the 'entering blighter territory' is something that I actually use a lot and in some ways wish it was clearer. Because I don't use the minimap, often I have no idea that I've just entered a restricted area and can sometimes get in to a fight and accidentally kill the target, completing the mission which I was saving to play another time, the stealthy way. With the prompt this becomes avoidable.

This used to be really clear from the way the music would signal the change from an open area to a restricted one. Bring back ambient music!

MikeFNY
06-02-2016, 05:19 PM
This used to be really clear from the way the music would signal the change from an open area to a restricted one. Bring back ambient music!

Valid point and I agree, for instance I like how the music completely changes in Uncharted when the danger is over.

But as someone else correctly said in another thread, deaf players would struggle in such an environment.

But really, as always it's all down to options.

On, or off.

SixKeys
06-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Valid point and I agree, for instance I like how the music completely changes in Uncharted when the danger is over.

But as someone else correctly said in another thread, deaf players would struggle in such an environment.

But really, as always it's all down to options.

On, or off.

As I recall, the Ezio games had small, unintrusive text on screen that said "entering restricted area"/"leaving restricted area". The reason why it may appear more intrusive in the newer games is that not only do you get the notification "entering Blighter area", the game also automatically assumes you entered it not because you just happened to be passing by but because you want to do the mission. So on top of the "entering restricted area" notification, the screen fills up with all this other info like "alarms disabled 0/10", "children liberated 0/6", "assassinate Michael McGuffin", "optional objective: air-assassinate the target", etc. And when you leave the area two seconds later, you get "mission failed: target out of range, come back later". I don't care, I was just passing through! I don't need all this s*** popping up every time I accidentally venture three steps inside a restricted area.

BananaBlighter
06-02-2016, 06:12 PM

That's very true I forgot about that. I think there is a weird sound effect that plays as you enter but it is hardly noticeable most of the time. A change in music would be much better.

Syndicate didn't really have ambient music, which was disappointing, though when the rare track did start playing during rooftop free-running, they were mostly rather nice. I especially like the ones that play at the top of viewpoints.

As I recall, the Ezio games had small, unintrusive text on screen that said "entering restricted area"/"leaving restricted area". The reason why it may appear more intrusive in the newer games is that not only do you get the notification "entering Blighter area", the game also automatically assumes you entered it not because you just happened to be passing by but because you want to do the mission. So on top of the "entering restricted area" notification, the screen fills up with all this other info like "alarms disabled 0/10", "children liberated 0/6", "assassinate Michael McGuffin", "optional objective: air-assassinate the target", etc. And when you leave the area two seconds later, you get "mission failed: target out of range, come back later". I don't care, I was just passing through! I don't need all this s*** popping up every time I accidentally venture three steps inside a restricted area.

I actually liked that for the conquest missions you didn't have to actually go and start the mission, you could just be passing by and suddenly get distracted by a mission like that. But yeah when you really don't want to start the mission it can be a bit annoying.

I think it should alert us in some unintrusive way that we are in enemy territory, and then if the player wants to initiate the mission and for all the other stuff to pop up, they have to use eagle vision to find the target first. Because when you first enter it always says 'find the target', but I don't think that's necessary. Just alert us that we've entered a restricted area and we decide whether we want to initiate the mission or not.

Speaking about letting the player use eagle vision to find things for themselves, I don't think that the game should mark crowd events for us. In fact, when they happen the player shouldn't be alerted in any way. However the player has to find them themselves, either by chance, or by actively searching for them with eagle vision. They should also therefore happen much more often as otherwise the player would hardly ever come across any.

MikeFNY
06-02-2016, 06:17 PM
The screen fills up with all this other info like "alarms disabled 0/10", "children liberated 0/6", "assassinate Michael McGuffin", "optional objective: air-assassinate the target", etc. And when you leave the area two seconds later, you get "mission failed: target out of range, come back later". I don't care, I was just passing through! I don't need all this s*** popping up every time I accidentally venture three steps inside a restricted area.
Ah yes, on this I agree 100%, in fact I had to be careful in the early days, fearing that if I pass and ignore all that text popping up, the mission wouldn't reappear and I wouldn't be able to achieve 100% sync :)

Sushiglutton
06-02-2016, 06:48 PM
I really liked the Dead Space solution where you clicked when lost and a path lighted up. Then you could go through a couple of different categories, like Store, Objective etc. Actively saying: "I want some help" is so much better than getting info shoved in your face all the time. Wish AC would try something in this direction.

http://portforward.com/games/walkthroughs/Dead-Space-2/Dead-Space-2-large-151.jpg

SixKeys
06-02-2016, 07:23 PM
I think it should alert us in some unintrusive way that we are in enemy territory, and then if the player wants to initiate the mission and for all the other stuff to pop up, they have to use eagle vision to find the target first. Because when you first enter it always says 'find the target', but I don't think that's necessary. Just alert us that we've entered a restricted area and we decide whether we want to initiate the mission or not.

This is a good idea. In general I wish they'd just get rid of all the external crap like optional objectives appearing on screen. Just scatter some alarm bells in the area and if the player disables one, THEN you can briefly flash a text that says "1/10 alarms disabled", so the player can decide for themselves if they want to do the other 9. But we don't need that information floating on screen throughout the entire mission.

cawatrooper9
06-02-2016, 10:58 PM
I really liked the Dead Space solution where you clicked when lost and a path lighted up. Then you could go through a couple of different categories, like Store, Objective etc. Actively saying: "I want some help" is so much better than getting info shoved in your face all the time. Wish AC would try something in this direction.

Dead Space was genius about their HUD!

Ubi-Banshee
06-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback on the HUD guys, this is a really helpful discussion. I'm passing this on to the team - keep the good ideas coming!

crusader_prophet
06-04-2016, 05:22 AM
Thanks for all the feedback on the HUD guys, this is a really helpful discussion. I'm passing this on to the team - keep the good ideas coming!

What about these two threads banshee? I think everyone will really appreciate if some of the thoughts discussed in these two reaches the dev team. Oh and we really appreciate the word forward on this thread :)
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1448498-Using-the-movie-Animus-for-the-games-MD

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1388165-Lets-re-examine-the-AC-Franchise-and-help-out-the-devs!

BujinTao
06-04-2016, 10:37 PM
I find it annoying to have one button mapped to 20 different actions. Then you die because it's trying to do something that you were not planning on doing.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Then you die because it's trying to do something that you were not planning on doing.

If the game do that you should not accuse it. In the first place, you were the one who pushed the wrong button.

After all, I don't think the ac games ai are intelligent enough to cause a malfuntion in the game that makes you die. They should still have to learn how to be more effective in battle. :rolleyes:

SixKeys
06-05-2016, 02:57 AM
If the game do that you should not accuse it. In the first place, you were the one who pushed the wrong button.

After all, I don't think the ac games ai are intelligent enough to cause a malfuntion in the game that makes you die. They should still have to learn how to be more effective in battle. :rolleyes:

Not necessarily true. The parkour system, for example, is very much based on the game anticipating what the player wants to do. If you jump forward and there's a chimney close by, the game can't always tell if you meant to jump onto the chimney or next to it. So it makes that call for you, leading to a lot of frustration. The old puppeteering system had particular safeguards against this kind of erroneous calculating. You couldn't climb a wall unless you press the "feet" button, for example. So you could easily stay in high profile mode without having to worry about accidentally climbing something. Since they streamlined the controls in AC3, though, it is now a lot easier to do stuff you didn't mean to because the game is misinterpreting your actions.

And yes, it really gets worse the more actions you map to the same button. In Syndicate, "E" (on PC) is used to 1) Talk, 2) Carry bodies, 3) Hijack drivers, 4) Open carriage doors, 5) Steal, 6) Shove people into a carriage, 7) Hanging from a ledge, and possibly more. If there's a mission that requires you to talk to Darwin, for example, and they place him too close to a shopkeeper, it's easy to accidentally open the shop menu when you meant to talk to Darwin. If you're on a smugglers' boat and you mean to pick up a crate of dynamite and there happens to be a dead body next to the crate, you will end up picking up the dead body, potentially attracting unwanted attention. This happens allll the time, and it's not always the player's fault.

ze_topazio
06-05-2016, 03:07 AM
Bring back the old puppeteer system, UBI BE CHANGE.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 03:13 AM
Not necessarily true. The parkour system, for example, is very much based on the game anticipating what the player wants to do. If you jump forward and there's a chimney close by, the game can't always tell if you meant to jump onto the chimney or next to it. So it makes that call for you, leading to a lot of frustration. The old puppeteering system had particular safeguards against this kind of erroneous calculating. You couldn't climb a wall unless you press the "feet" button, for example. So you could easily stay in high profile mode without having to worry about accidentally climbing something. Since they streamlined the controls in AC3, though, it is now a lot easier to do stuff you didn't mean to because the game is misinterpreting your actions.

And yes, it really gets worse the more actions you map to the same button. In Syndicate, "E" (on PC) is used to 1) Talk, 2) Carry bodies, 3) Hijack drivers, 4) Open carriage doors, 5) Steal, 6) Shove people into a carriage, 7) Hanging from a ledge, and possibly more. If there's a mission that requires you to talk to Darwin, for example, and they place him too close to a shopkeeper, it's easy to accidentally open the shop menu when you meant to talk to Darwin. If you're on a smugglers' boat and you mean to pick up a crate of dynamite and there happens to be a dead body next to the crate, you will end up picking up the dead body, potentially attracting unwanted attention. This happens allll the time, and it's not always the player's fault.

I don't remember it happening to me. Mostly, because I always read what the buton is supposed to do, on the mark. So, I always position the character on the one I want to use than the other. So, it's basically one of the good side of the hud being there completely. It's also a proof it's the player fault, because they don't read the hud. Of course, I can't argue about parkour. What you said about it is true. ^-^

LieutenantRex
06-05-2016, 03:58 AM
I don't remember it happening to me. Mostly, because I always read what the buton is supposed to do, on the mark. So, I always position the character on the one I want to use than the other. So, it's basically one of the good side of the hud being there completely. It's also a proof it's the player fault, because they don't read the hud. Of course, I can't argue about parkour. What you said about it is true. ^-^

Oui oui, my French ami. Completely the player's fault. When one of the best Assassin's Creed players (SixKeys), presses a button that happens to trigger a prompt that she didn't mean to trigger since there was another prompt that the button could also trigger, it is completely her fault, and not some easily rectifiable flaw of the game, because Ubisoft is a Fwench companawh, and oui Fwenchmwon must stick together, non?

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Oui oui, my French ami. Completely the player's fault. When one of the best Assassin's Creed players (SixKeys), presses a button that happens to trigger a prompt that she didn't mean to trigger since there was another prompt that the button could also trigger, it is completely her fault, and not some easily rectifiable flaw of the game, because Ubisoft is a Fwench companawh, and oui Fwenchmwon must stick together, non?

Speak in english and without sarcasm if you want me to answer. :rolleyes:

Edit. And I'm not a french. I'm from Quebec, Canada. Not France. :p

BananaBlighter
06-05-2016, 11:23 AM

Yes, obviously if the HUD in no way indicated what you are about to interact with, it would be a lot harder, something which I mentioned earlier in this thread. However I don't have time to keep fiddling about to get the game to highlight the right thing.

If there is a body next to a crate, I often spend an unnecessary amount of time trying to get the 'O - open crate' to come up, and sometimes it is just quicker to pick up the body and move it to the side which takes irritatingly long due to slow animations (not criticising the animations here, I think they are fine) and can draw attention as you stand up.

If I'm trying to quickly get a kidnapped target in to a carriage, I can sometimes let them go because the game refuses to recognise the door that I'm trying to shove them in to.

Obviously the biggest problem is the game being inconsistent in knowing what you want to do, but the easier solution, while it won't fix the fiddling, would prevent mistakes if the buttons were mapped differently.

I'll even take this to the parkour system. In Syndicate, everything except climbing straight up and down a wall is done by running forward. This wasn't such a big deal for me in AC3/4/Ro, but now that the architecture is more complex it is. It means that as you run and you get to the edge of a building, you may accidentally continue forward, and especially in a restricted area, if you accidentally jump down, it will get you detected. I think that to jump you should have to press 'parkour up' like in the older games (when I say 'parkour up' I mean the equivalent button) every time. This allows you to fiddle about and get yourself in position to jump to where you want to go without the risk of accidentally jumping beforehand.

Again, obviously if the system were more accurate it wouldn't be such a big deal, but to avoid accidents while you're trying to get in position for you jump, we simply need more control through button mapping. And for those who want to simply have to run forward, is it really that hard to hold parkour up as you freerun?

NeckPUNCHattack
06-05-2016, 07:41 PM
To maceonik, I think you just don't know what to say judging by what you write. I'm in my right of not wanting that to happen and you you can't seem to accept it. Like I said you want to turn it off, good for you. As for me, I don't aprove that and it's my right. To all others. Since I'm the only one on my side, I'll let you discussed this pathetic subject after I put my video. On my side, I prooved my point.

Ah, this video always make me smile. ^-^

I had to log in and respond after reading this last comment of yours.

Every post you've made has confused me more and more with all of your convoluted, silly, over the top dramatic whining and attacking, and I need you to know, not only do you sound like an angry child (who can't spell basic words), but you bring more and more unnecessary info into the mix with each irrelevant response that just muddles and distorts simple ideas everyone else has tried to convey.

You said yourself (from the one thing you seemed to grasp from all the different dramatic ideas you threw around) that you are probably the only one who doesn't want a completely removed HUD. Don't you think.... maybe... that if you're the only one so against the idea (and why, I have no idea - because people like to take screen shots of scenery and many other things without words and prompts getting in the way), maybe YOU are wrong in your way of thinking? Is it that hard to accept and allow? How does it even affect you (in a good or bad way) if it's an optional thing to turn on or off? You aren't forced to turn the HUD off, so what does it really matter if the option is there for the people who'd like it?

You are truly in a class of your own, pal. Try thinking of others for a change instead of being so small and self-centered.

Oh and FYI - your post about all those dumb steps to make UNITY easier.... that's based on the idea of actually getting far enough into the game that allows you to play the dead Kings dlc. Not to mention that... common sense here... the rest of the stuff you said (level up items, etc) naturally happens when people get far enough into a game. It's a given. The fact that the combat was overly punishing for a lot of people, drove them away well before they had the opportunity to level up and buy the higher tier armor and gear. For someone who thinks they have all this vast knowledge and insight, you sure can't see or understand simple concepts.

You need to lighten up and not be against the world on things YOU dislike. If most people say the difficulty curve in unity was on a whole different level, maybe it was for them. You don't need to try to be witty and have a 7 point response to "help" them, because 1.) you just sound like a condescending a**hole, and 2.) they probably got rid of unity long ago. And if people (myself included) want to see an option to remove ALL words/prompts from the HUD/screen so we can take great screen shots or short clips or whatever, what harm does it do to add such a thing? Sorry, but I'm not sorry. You sound like a whiny child who needs everyone to see it your way, and no other way. The world doesn't work like that. Maybe when you grow up, you'll understand that. And if you're an adult, I'm sure you don't have a fun existence because no one in their right mind would intentionally deal with someone like you.

Let people have options (and opinions) and stop being so difficult.

Edit: you aren't the only person to have ever been abused. Stop acting so entitled and stop attacking people over simple things. I've seen you attack for less than nothing, then can't take it when someone gets sarcastic or jokes or has their own opinion. This isn't your world, you share it. Tone it down... everyone might have backed off because you spilled your life story and want everyone's sympathy, but I'm tired of reading your rude comments while expecting everyone's sympathy, so I'll he the one to tell you like it is. And coming from someone else who knows pain and suffering (and I bet I'm quite a bit older than you are), I don't need the world to pity me and accept my opinion regardless of their stance. Stop being so rude to people while expecting them to listen to you and maybe you'll find more agreeable opinions out there.

I came here to see AC related stuff. Do everyone a favor and keep your personal stuff out of it all. Ubisoft isn't going to put your name in the game and recognize you as someone who had it tough in school and got spanked by his dad. I had family issues a lot worse than that. I moved on. I have problems, and playing games is one of my coping mechanisms. Being forced to read your life story and convoluting the simple topics here only pushes people away. I didn't come here for this. I came here for AC related topics.

Now please, stop attacking anyone with a difference in opinion and stick to AC.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 08:07 PM
I had to log in and respond after reading this last comment of yours.

Every post you've made has confused me more and more with all of your convoluted, silly, over the top dramatic whining and attacking, and I need you to know, not only do you sound like an angry child (who can't spell basic words), but you bring more and more unnecessary info into the mix with each irrelevant response that just muddles and distorts simple ideas everyone else has tried to convey.

You said yourself (from the one thing you seemed to grasp from all the different dramatic ideas you threw around) that you are probably the only one who doesn't want a completely removed HUD. Don't you think.... maybe... that if you're the only one so against the idea (and why, I have no idea - because people like to take screen shots of scenery and many other things without words and prompts getting in the way), maybe YOU are wrong in your way of thinking? Is it that hard to accept and allow? How does it even affect you (in a good or bad way) if it's an optional thing to turn on or off? You aren't forced to turn the HUD off, so what does it really matter if the option is there for the people who'd like it?

You are truly in a class of your own, pal. Try thinking of others for a change instead of being so small and self-centered.

Oh and FYI - your post about all those dumb steps to make UNITY easier.... that's based on the idea of actually getting far enough into the game that allows you to play the dead Kings dlc. Not to mention that... common sense here... the rest of the stuff you said (level up items, etc) naturally happens when people get far enough into a game. It's a given. The fact that the combat was overly punishing for a lot of people, drove them away well before they had the opportunity to level up and buy the higher tier armor and gear. For someone who thinks they have all this vast knowledge and insight, you sure can't see or understand simple concepts.

You need to lighten up and not be against the world on things YOU dislike. If most people say the difficulty curve in unity was on a whole different level, maybe it was for them. You don't need to try to be witty and have a 7 point response to "help" them, because 1.) you just sound like a condescending a**hole, and 2.) they probably got rid of unity long ago. And if people (myself included) want to see an option to remove ALL words/prompts from the HUD/screen so we can take great screen shots or short clips or whatever, what harm does it do to add such a thing? Sorry, but I'm not sorry. You sound like a whiny child who needs everyone to see it your way, and no other way. The world doesn't work like that. Maybe when you grow up, you'll understand that. And if you're an adult, I'm sure you don't have a fun existence because no one in their right mind would intentionally deal with someone like you.

Let people have options (and opinions) and stop being so difficult.

I won't take too much time to respond to your comment, because you either aren't old enough to understand what I wrote or took the time to read my comment enough to understand my point. Also, I suggest you to read other peoples comment, because many of them came to understand some of points. Like I wrote in another manner in at least one of my comment I agreed to disagree and if you are sooo, mature you should too, because from my point view of you are the one who is too selfish to accept someone else don't want what you want. Right now you just sound to me like someone who barge into a conversation and criticize someone without even knowing what have already been said in the conversation.

NeckPUNCHattack
06-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Dude... you say everyone else has a different opinion than yours, then you call it pathetic. Sounds to me like some simple, self-centered thinking to me.

NeckPUNCHattack
06-05-2016, 08:20 PM
And yea, I read everyone's posts. They either stopped responding after your whiny life story, or felt sorry for you and agreed out of pity. Stick to AC related stuff and people like me won't post.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Dude... you say everyone else has a different opinion than yours, then you call it pathetic. Sounds to me like some simple, self-centered thinking to me.

I didn't said they were pathetic. I said the subject of the thread is pathetic. You should learn how to read between the lines. :rolleyes:

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 08:45 PM
And yea, I read everyone's posts. They either stopped responding after your whiny life story, or felt sorry for you and agreed out of pity. Stick to AC related stuff and people like me won't post.

So, you're saying you're not mature enough to agree to disagree. Good for you, but I don't speak to immature people. As for me I already said my point. Also, it's not just after I wrote what I lived that some people were accepting some of my points. You should read more comment than that. :rolleyes:

NeckPUNCHattack
06-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Now I'm supposed to interpret something that you supposedly meant instead of what you wrote? Taking what people say based on what they write in a forum is EXACTLY what's meant to be done, not "reading between the lines". How about this... you got called out on something you said since you contradicted yourself and now you don't know how else to defend it.

If you keep personal info out of a game's topic, you won't have people say things like this in response. Plain and simple. Don't attack people if you're not willing to get it back in return.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Now I'm supposed to interpret something that you supposedly meant instead of what you wrote? Taking what people say based on what they write in a forum is EXACTLY what's meant to be done, not "reading between the lines". How about this... you got called out on something you said since you contradicted yourself and now you don't know how else to defend it.

If you keep personal info out of a game's topic, you won't have people say things like this in response. Plain and simple. Don't attack people if you're not willing to get it back in return.

So, you're saying you're not mature enough to agree to disagree. Good for you, but I don't speak to immature people.

:rolleyes:

NeckPUNCHattack
06-05-2016, 08:49 PM
So, you're saying you're not mature enough to agree to disagree. Good for you, but I don't speak to immature people. As for me I already said my point. Also, it's not just after I wrote what I lived that some people were accepting some of my points. You should read more comment than that. :rolleyes:

Keep telling yourself how right you are.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Keep telling yourself how right you are.

So, you're saying you're not mature enough to agree to disagree. Good for you, but I don't speak to immature people.

:rolleyes:

NeckPUNCHattack
06-05-2016, 08:56 PM

More like you don't respond when you know you're completely wrong with no way out. Stop now please. You clearly need the last word in everything and all it does is show your age and level of intelligence.

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
More like you don't respond when you know you're completely wrong with no way out. Stop now please. You clearly need the last word in everything and all it does is show your age and level of intelligence.

And all you're doing is making yourself a bad reputation. All I'm saying is that I don't speak with immature people and you continu to write immature things. :rolleyes:

Locopells
06-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Ahem, guys? Let's not go round this loop again...

ERICATHERINE
06-05-2016, 09:21 PM

It's fine with me. ^-^

ze_topazio
06-05-2016, 10:07 PM
I don't even understand what you people are discussing anymore.

Megas_Doux
06-05-2016, 10:28 PM
I don't even understand what you people are discussing anymore.

Like for the last 4 pages, actually.....

ze_topazio
06-05-2016, 10:34 PM
So Mega, what are Spain's chances in the Euro?

Megas_Doux
06-05-2016, 10:58 PM
So Mega, what are Spain's chances in the Euro?

Narrow!!!!! It has written Brazil 2014 all over again, at least De Gea is looking like he is going to start. God Forbid if Del Bosque chooses Casillas instead...

Jexx21
06-07-2016, 02:19 AM

choo choo

Fatal-Feit
06-07-2016, 02:28 AM

The thing is, UI/HUD is handled by a different department. The people designing the UI does not write the story or choreograph the animations. Ubisoft is massive and there is a team for everything. It's also not uncommon (especially with the massive amount of resource at Ubisoft's disposal) for there to be people who don't have anything to do sometimes. That's why cosmetic DLCs are sometimes made. With the snap of a finger, they can grab a team of people and develop a whole new game if they have the permission. Funny thing is, they've done that multiple times already. *cough*ACC/Identity)*cough* Anyway, I'm a light modder and 10 weeks is absolutely absurd for something like this. I've tinkered with UIs and created custom content in a game before (Mabinogi/DmC/Skyrim) and something as simple as making those button prompts transparent and adding a new box to tick in the menu would take the time of a person's lunch break. The only complication here would be getting our feedback across to the developers.

As a side note, I've been involved with a small indie game in development and I've sent feedback regarding the UI (yeah, I generally give UIs far too much attention lol) and the only hassle it took for that dev to address the issue was finding out how to make it look prettier. Remember, this isn't a matter of requiring graphics designer to make new assets, it's literally just turning off existing cosmetic prompts. :p

Ureh
06-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Maybe it's not part of the hud, but maybe they can also let us turn off the auto-save icon. Gosh that thing kept popping up at the wrong times when I was recording some stuff.

ERICATHERINE
06-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Maybe it's not part of the hud, but maybe they can also let us turn off the auto-save icon. Gosh that thing kept popping up at the wrong times when I was recording some stuff.

Well there is a way to turn THAT icon off, but it's not for every game and it prevent the game from saving. You just have to activate a cheat. Hope it help. ^-^

LoyalACFan
06-09-2016, 10:33 AM
choo choo

Jexxy! How the hell are ya? Been quite a while since I've seen you around.

Ureh
06-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Well there is a way to turn THAT icon off, but it's not for every game and it prevent the game from saving. You just have to activate a cheat. Hope it help. ^-^

Oh my bad, I was talking about ACU. I don't remember seeing any cheats in the menu, so I'll have to double check.

Farlander1991
06-09-2016, 03:32 PM
The thing is, UI/HUD is handled by a different department. The people designing the UI does not write the story or choreograph the animations. Ubisoft is massive and there is a team for everything. It's also not uncommon (especially with the massive amount of resource at Ubisoft's disposal) for there to be people who don't have anything to do sometimes. That's why cosmetic DLCs are sometimes made. With the snap of a finger, they can grab a team of people and develop a whole new game if they have the permission. Funny thing is, they've done that multiple times already. *cough*ACC/Identity)*cough* Anyway, I'm a light modder and 10 weeks is absolutely absurd for something like this. I've tinkered with UIs and created custom content in a game before (Mabinogi/DmC/Skyrim) and something as simple as making those button prompts transparent and adding a new box to tick in the menu would take the time of a person's lunch break. The only complication here would be getting our feedback across to the developers.

As a side note, I've been involved with a small indie game in development and I've sent feedback regarding the UI (yeah, I generally give UIs far too much attention lol) and the only hassle it took for that dev to address the issue was finding out how to make it look prettier. Remember, this isn't a matter of requiring graphics designer to make new assets, it's literally just turning off existing cosmetic prompts. :p

As far as I've noticed, Unity and Syndicate have 3D UI though with actual coordinates and physical presence in the world, it's not 2D and even not a 2D element with coordinates projected into the world. Well, maybe Syndicate's UI is different, I don't know (they might have changed it), but in Unity when it lags while there's some UI element open you can see how it's a plane in the world and you can look at it from different 'sides' of it. I remember one time my map and health bar deattached from being pivoted strictly to camera for a couple seconds. There might be more problems with that kind of thing than with traditional UI (though even traditional 2D UI CAN be problematic, including the fact of simply hiding it. Not saying that it's the case. But there is a chance. Lots of unexpected hurdles there are).