PDA

View Full Version : p38 question

FWdreamer
06-03-2004, 10:12 AM
S!
Do the p38s have super or turbo chargers in Fb? If so when do i engage them and how do they help the planes performance?
Thank You

FWdreamer
06-03-2004, 10:12 AM
S!
Do the p38s have super or turbo chargers in Fb? If so when do i engage them and how do they help the planes performance?
Thank You

Chuck_Older
06-03-2004, 10:19 AM
They are turbochargers, and you do not have to manually engage them.

A turbo works by using exhaust gasses to turn a turbine which in turn packs the intake manifold and then the cylinders with more air than a "naturally aspirated" (non turbo- or super-charged engine) can. (this is an exceptionally short version of how it works, by the way)

Any internal combustion engine is essentially an air pump. The more air that goes in and comes out, the better

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

FWdreamer
06-03-2004, 11:28 AM
S!
thank you sir for the help! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

LilHorse
06-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Technical nit-pick here- They (P-38s) actually have both superchargers and turbosuperchargers. Allison V-1710 engines had superchargers that were integral. Almost all a/c engines in WWII were supercharged. Some had very simple single stage, single speed with modest boost. Others had two speed, two stage, intercooled, high boost superchargers. Depending on the version of V-1710 I believe they were two speed single stage for the most part. And in the case of the P-38 they were also augmented with external (to the engine) GE turbosuperchargers.

Chuck_Older
06-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, yes you are right, I wanted to get away from what makes a turbosupercharger

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash