PDA

View Full Version : AC Rogue - feels like home again!

Sickboy7979
05-27-2016, 11:00 PM
I just started AC: Rogue this past week. Feels like home. I say this because AC 4 was my first AC game. I've since played/beaten AC1, AC3, Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC 3. I just loved everything about AC 4: BF and it feels so good to play Rogue. I'm in the middle of Seq 3 right now. Enjoying the heck out of it! Looking forward to Unity and Syndicate after I beat it.

crusader_prophet
05-28-2016, 07:02 PM
That is how human brain works, the first impression is usually the most lasting one. For you AC series started with BF, hence Rogue feels like home. For me AC series started with AC1, so AC Revelations felt like home and hopefully eventually AC in Egypt will. But I loved AC Rogue - more than a lot other entries in the series. I don't know why, may be because the game didn't fully develop the character and a lot of him is left unexplored which let my imagination run wild. He is independent and kind of a lone wolf. May be that's why.

Sickboy7979
05-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I like Shay a lot. I think he's a cool character. It was very quick how he went from Assassin to Templar. But, still cool none the less. This is a very fun game. I may have to go back into BF and complete everything I didn't do (I beat it at 80% synch). That said, I'm itching to play both Unity and Syndicate too.

Ureh
05-29-2016, 05:27 AM
I just finished Rogue and it's alright. I think the highlight is the North Atlantic itself. I thought, "No wonder people - especially sailors - love the ocean." The other zones couldn't match its beauty and it was always on my mind. When could I finally revisit that magical place? I almost mistook the icebergs as massive diamonds, and the sea as an expanse of turquoise and sapphires. In the day I could see the sun gleaming across the undulations, and the night only sought to amplify the beauty of its glaciers. If you thought texting while driving was dangerous... well, it is. But there's worse. The stars above would make way for the aurora borealis and I would have to make sure that I didn't sink the Morrigan and her crew by running into another ship or an iceberg. I was so mesmerized that even in the middle of a storm all I could do was sing. "Let it go! Let it go! The cold never bothered me anyway."

I think the whaling is improved (gotta watch out for the ice and it feels like our new prey dive more often). The music really gets my blood flowing and in the case of the poor beasts, literally. I could even choose to hunt my quarry in the middle of a blizzard.

Ice sheets are neat but also rare. Still it did feel pretty cool to carve a way through them, or come full stop anytime and jump/run on it. Once a brig was trying to cut its way through, but not fast enough as I managed to board it by sprinting on the ice sheets.

I wish the River Valley could build on AC3's Frontier but the maze-like river - I think it's the Potomac - felt weird. The fauna don't seem to possess the behaviours of their AC3 cousins (bears don't catch fish, no cubs, wolves don't hunt prey, elk to fight for mates, etc). There were 3-4 upgrades that required black wolf pelts, so 6-8 total but there was only one place to hunt them and usually only one wolf spawned for me anytime I visited. The only other, and much faster, way to obtain those pelts was to buy them from stores.

New York is about 20 years older but it felt like they were two separate entities. Taking more inspiration from the gameplay and aesthetics of Havana/Kingston, I couldn't decide if this was a predecessor of AC3's NY or something trying to imitate the cities of AC4. The Great Fire was decades away but that wasn't what gnawed at me. The flow and shape of the rooftops changed; I didn't see any moving carts/carriages; no beggars on the streets; the building facades, alleyways, and markets felt strangely bright and pristine despite the city being infested with gangs, the soldiers that patrolled the streets seemed lacking when compared to the battalions that marched in AC3's streets (It could be that there weren't as many troops stationed in the city during the Seven Years' War?). I think the best way of experiencing New York is by playing AC3 since you get to see the burnt areas, St. Paul's Chapel, larger forts, you get to see it in winter, the underground tunnels, and much more.

I think the combat is probably the weakest part, especially when boarding ships. It looks like they included 2 puckle guns on each side just so anyone can avoid combat entirely. Plenty of other things, but I'm sure they've been discussed plenty so I'll just be quiet now.

Ubi-Banshee
05-31-2016, 04:26 PM
That is a lovely sentiment! Glad you got to recapture the magic of your first AC experience - thanks for sharing :o