PDA

View Full Version : How To Introduce AC's Philosophical War

Abelzorus-Prime
05-25-2016, 01:28 AM
I have a friend who is studying philosophy at University and has never played an Assassin's Creed game, we have had a few minor discussions about the series and I have finally piqued his interest due to the philosophical elements of the game and have arranged for me to lend him one of the games to see if he gets into it. I just don't know which one.

Which game (besides AC1) do you think demonstrates the ideological and philosophical arguements of both the Assassins and Templars the best?

Sigma 1313
05-25-2016, 01:36 AM
I would say 1 is the best without a doubt. 3 and Rogue also take a look at it a lot. Revelations barely scratches the surface of the ideological differences, but does go into(very briefly) an explanation of the creed. 4 barely mentions the ideologies, but is an interesting look at human's desire for wealth and power.

BATISTABUS
05-25-2016, 02:01 AM
Definitely 1 and 3. They do the best job of highlighting the differences between Assassins and Templars while somewhat more subtly showing their similarities.

Abelzorus-Prime
05-25-2016, 06:15 PM
What about Black Flag? As Edward had the most objective POV in the begining.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Definitely 1 and 3. They do the best job of highlighting the differences between Assassins and Templars while somewhat more subtly showing their similarities.

Agreed.

Maybe even Unity to a certain extent?

Sigma 1313
05-25-2016, 11:47 PM
As I said, black flag doesn't really highlight the ideological differences as 1 and 3 do. It just is an interesting look at human greed through pirates.

Shahkulu101
05-26-2016, 04:46 AM
Yup - 1 & 3 for sure. I think 1 doesn't do it nearly as well though, it presents arguments that make you think but at the end they are all kind of undeniably, monstrously evil. A few are in AC3 too, Willian Johnson opening fire on the natives, Hickey as well, but after the speeches I sometimes came out thinking I may have killed someone who was doing what was right and ultimately for the greater good. Killing Pitcairn started the war!

4 does it very well too and is my favourite story overall because of the personal introspection into Edward's character and how I relate to him in a lot of ways, but I don't think it deals with the philosophy as directly. It's more; here's a character story where you can find philosophical elements if you observe keenly, which isn't a bad thing at all. You can't have pirates waxing lyrical about philosophy without it coming off phony, but they do talk about man's natural freedom and the liberty to do as one pleases, as you'd expect with pirates. So ideological discussion in the game kind of feels more human I think, because it's coming from the perspective of 'normal blokes'.

cawatrooper9
05-26-2016, 08:59 PM
To answer the original question, the game you're looking for is Black Flag. Other than AC1 (or, sometimes, Unity) it's generally considered to be an entrypoint into the series. ACIII is great, one of my favorites even. But it's not an entry into the series- in fact, it might be the most dense and hard to access game in the series so far.

Edward's rather objective POV of the Templar and Assassin conflict should intrigue him, and there are other philosophical elements outside of if that your friend will probably enjoy as well. The game also still holds up pretty well to modern games, and can even be played on this generation of console.

Avenger815
05-27-2016, 03:21 AM
I sort of liked how William Miles gave exposition to the war in ACIII; something like that would seem ideal for those unfamiliar with the games. Otherwise I'd say ACI & ACIII like those above; they both gripped you into understanding the ups & downs to both orders and to ultimately leave it to the player's interpretation.