PDA

View Full Version : Help in building a PC for AC

WantToHaveFun
05-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Hi, I am struggling in building a proper budget PC for AC Unity. I know that G-Sync / Freesync are important and wanted to go that way. However G-Sync hardware and decent monitor are very expensive and are out of my budget. Freesync however requires to go the Radeon path, which is inferior to NVidia for this game (at least from what I've learned from Google).
My question is - what will be better - Freesync with Radeon or NVidia without G-Sync? I am opting for Full HD but trying to push over my limits towards 4K, which I learned will be almost impossible to achieve in ACU.
Of course i7 + 8GB RAM + 4GB 970 or 4GB 290 are being considered.

Thanks in advance

Black_Widow9
05-23-2016, 08:43 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums,

Some of our members will have great suggestions for you. You may want to also check these threads by our Uplay ComDevs for help:
Building a gaming PC – Part 1: Getting Started (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1444233)
Building a Gaming PC - Part 2: Building Your PC (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1447290)

Thanks

WantToHaveFun
05-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Thank you for those links. They are helpful, but not what I was looking for. I am somewhat knowledgable in how to build a PC (former PC technician, however from a dino Win95 era...) but lack knowledge in G-Sync / Freesync and how much they add. My friend has NVidia 960 G1 and ACU runs smooth at full HD without G-Sync. I want to know if running Freesync will be any better considering AMD's poorer GPU processor.

Fatal-Feit
05-25-2016, 07:07 AM
I can't help with the first question, but a GTX 970 is definitely not enough for 4K with Unity. When my card was still working, I was able to get a smooth 30-40fps at 4K, but only with every setting at their bare minimum. It's doable with a 980 at medium settings, but I still highly recommend a 980 Ti at the very least. That card can run the game at high/ultra settings at 4K. Unity at medium settings doesn't do it justice.

Jessigirl2013
05-25-2016, 06:17 PM
OP 4k is over-rated IMO..

Can you post your current hardware so that we can ensure it will be a worthwhile upgrade.:rolleyes:

1080p isn't exactly bad, but I wouldn't go higher than 1440p unless you have money to burn.

YazX_
05-25-2016, 08:46 PM
4k is not achievable on any single card @60 FPS on ultra settings as of yet, even the new GTX 1080 will not be capable to pull 4k on ultra settings @ 60 fps, its close but there will be dips to 40s-50s here and there, so 4k = SLI/Crossfire or lowering graphics options, in my opinion 1440p is the best choice for now since it gives a great graphics fidelity and doesnt require too many AA samples, and the most important part is several single video cards can pull latest AAA games on ultra settings @2560x1440, ofcourse the best choice based on what i have learnt from your budget. one important thing to note is screen size and resolution, if you are getting a 22"-23" screen with 1440p/4k resolution then this is very wrong and waste of money, 4k is best suited for 30" or bigger monitors, while 1080 for 22"-24" and 1440p for 26"-29".

so 27" monitor @2560x1440p is better choice than getting a 4k monitor, now regarding G-Sync and Freesync, Freesync is open source tech unlike Nvidia's locked down code with G-Sync, several people pointed out that G-Sync module is just a DRM and running over Display Port Adaptive V-Sync and someone modded the drivers to enable G-Sync over Display port without having a G-Sync capable monitor. so IMO, both are waste of money, get a monitor that supports Display Port and use that as display input then enable adaptive V-Sync and should run fine. i run mine on Dual link DVI cable since my monitor has only one DVI input and have adaptive V-Sync enabled in Nvidia's Control Panel, it works well, yah there is tearing here and there but it is not frequent nor annoying.

Now 900 series will be dead soon, better to wait for 1070 (will be released on 10th June) as it will approx match the 970 price now and can get you TitanX performance on stock speeds, ofcourse you can still push it alot more with overclocking, and also if you would like to wait alittle bit, AMD is planning to release a polaris card that matches 980 Ti performance with approx 300$.

now regarding AMD/Nvidia debate, well AMD had poor drivers support but they stepped up their game now, they release drivers frequently same as Nvidia with their new Crimson ones and beating Nvidia in DX12 games, AMD also supports Async Compute for DX12 and Vulkan on hardware level which is missing from Nvidia cards and no information if it is supported on hardware level with Pascal cards, so i believe it is not otherwise they would make a big fuss about it.

WantToHaveFun
05-26-2016, 09:34 PM
@Jessi - this is a fresh build from ground up. No current setup, no upgrade.
@YazX - thanks a ton. A tremendous help and a sea of usefull info to process. Thank you for your time and efforts. Didnt take into consideration size of the screen vs resolutio n. I just dont have enough money to buy something cheap, so wanted something time proof, but I do realize it will become a trash anyway in 2 years time or less.
My kids BD is coming up so cant wait for too long, plus I am not from states, so until all the new goodies arrive here you will be probably already trashing GTX 3000 or something... But the info about the new stuff just around the corner is great and very informative. 300 bucks for 980Ti replacement sounds very good.
Abiut G-Sync I read that the processor inside the screen really takes the load off the GPU, thus the heftier price on the screen. I also read that it is way better than Vsync, but you sound very knowledgable, so I am slightly at loss here. Wasnt sure if I should invest in G-Sync/Freesync monitor or just go with best value for money. Not keen investing big bucks in a non 4k monitor or setup.

YazX_
05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
@YazX - thanks a ton. A tremendous help and a sea of usefull info to process. Thank you for your time and efforts. Didnt take into consideration size of the screen vs resolutio n. I just dont have enough money to buy something cheap, so wanted something time proof, but I do realize it will become a trash anyway in 2 years time or less.
My kids BD is coming up so cant wait for too long, plus I am not from states, so until all the new goodies arrive here you will be probably already trashing GTX 3000 or something... But the info about the new stuff just around the corner is great and very informative. 300 bucks for 980Ti replacement sounds very good.
Abiut G-Sync I read that the processor inside the screen really takes the load off the GPU, thus the heftier price on the screen. I also read that it is way better than Vsync, but you sound very knowledgable, so I am slightly at loss here. Wasnt sure if I should invest in G-Sync/Freesync monitor or just go with best value for money. Not keen investing big bucks in a non 4k monitor or setup.

one important note that i forgot to mention, new Nvidia GPUs 1000 series have new V-Sync feature built-in in hardware, which means the game will keep processing frames but the GPU will only send frames per your monitor refresh rate, this solves input lag and tearing according to Nvidia, is it a G-Sync replacement? Nvidia says no and it will work just great with G-Sync, if you ask me, yes it is a replacement and G-Sync is no longer needed, unfortunately only time will tell for sure once the new hardware gets tested thoroughly.

Please do note, any hardware release plans set in future are only reports and speculations by hardware news and not confirmed from AMD as of yet, You are very welcome, let me know if you need further help :)