PDA

View Full Version : So I just beat AC3 - of the DLC for this game worth picking up?

Sickboy7979
05-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Just finished AC 3 this afternoon. Ready for Rogue! But, I love this game! This is one of the best AC games I'be played (still have Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate to go). Is the DLC (missions - I don't care about outfits or multiplayer stuff) worth getting? That said, are any of the DLC missions worth getting for AC 2, Brotherhood, or Revelations? I've also beaten Black Flag (my first venture into AC games and LOVED it) and I hear the DLC missions are good there. Need to snag those. Love to hear your opinions.

LoyalACFan
05-22-2016, 09:27 PM
I personally didn't like AC3's DLC, but I know a lot of people did. It takes place in an alternate timeline with a totally fantasy-oriented world (Connor gets magic animal powers that let him fly, turn invisible, etc.) and for me, it came across as really goofy and self-absorbed. Not to mention that the main villain is George Washington as an evil king wielding a magic scepter. Just wasn't my cup of tea, personally, but you should get a few more opinions first. IMO a lot of the people who liked it were just diehard Connor fans who would've liked literally anything that had semi-shirtless Connor in it, but it's up to you to decide.

As for the others... ehh... AC's DLC has traditionally had a reputation for not being that great. The only ones I would recommend are Bonfire of the Vanities for AC2 (basically just a string of nine assassination missions in Florence) and Freedom Cry for AC4 (easily the best DLC in the franchise IMHO). Battle of Forli for AC2 and Da Vinci Disappearance for Brotherhood were meh, there's some decent story/lore stuff in there but nothing very exciting in the missions.

All that being said, you should definitely take a pass on Revelation's The Lost Archive and Unity's Dead Kings. Both are a waste of money and hard drive space.

phoenix-force411
05-22-2016, 09:50 PM
ACII - Yes, they're worth it, because they make the story even longer than you'd like it to be. They can be played post-game or before you finish the game. If you're in Sequence 14, there should be a special marker in either Forli or Florence, because that's where the DLCs are. I believe it's $4.99 for Battle of Forli and $6.99 for Bonfire of the Vanities. They're definitely worth it, though. Once you play through the game again with the DLCs, the game will make you run through 1-14 as if they were part of the main game(they were actually part of the main game, but cut out).

ACB - The Da Vinci Disappearance DLC is worth the buy. because it gives you an additional sequence and you get all of the Multiplayer DLCs with it(It does include Animus update 1 and 2.0 in it). This DLC also includes a dice game with it. Because this is the only major story expansion in ACB, it's worth picking up. It also hints at ACIII as well.

ACRevelations - This is entirely based on your preference. The Lost Archives is accessed from the main menu and not from the main story. If you enjoy the first person sections where you roam inside the Animus as Desmond, then you will likely enjoy The Lost Archives DLC. This DLC confirms a theory that Assassin's Creed fans had since the first game.

ACIII - Tyranny of King Washington is an awesome DLC when it comes to wanting to play an AC game with supernatural powers. If you like going for 100% sync, it may give you a hard time. This DLC is spit into 3 episodes, and so, I would recommend that you buy the Season Pass for this DLC as it would be worth the content you get from it. TKW maps are generally smaller than the main game version of the maps.

ACIV:BF - I can't really give you an opinion on Freedom Cry as I never played it, and ACIV is the only game that I never cared to buy DLCs for as I didn't really see any worth in them.

ACRogue - Best thing you can get for this game is the Templar Legacy DLC which is $6.99 and you get all pre-order content from it. Rogue has better outfits than IV, because there is variety to the outfits unlike the massive amount of recoloring that ACIV did with outfits.

ACUnity - Dead Kings is free, but it was originally mean to be like $15 - 20. Thankfully, the game suffered massive problems and then Ubi made it free after removing the Season Pass. Dead Kings is fun, in general, but its relevance is little. Until Ubi does anything with that happened in this DLC, it remains largely as a filler for post-game. Dead Kings can be accessed, I believe, in Sequence 4.

ACSyndicate - Jack the Ripper DLC takes place post-game and 20 years later. It's a fun DLC that is decently long, but with it comes with some technical issues and long loading screens. It's not as bad a The Last Maharaja DLC. That is just a buggy mess. JTR is worth it. I would recommend buying the Season Pass if you like what you see in the other DLCs as it would save you some money. I don't think the Season Pass is really worth its price, in my opinion, because I have been pretty disappointed with the DLCs when it comes to incentives.

cawatrooper9
05-23-2016, 10:37 PM
ACII- As Phoenix mentioned, these pieces are absolutely necessary. I've done several playthroughs of the series as a whole, and not until my most recent one last fall did I include Forli and BoV. Their inclusion made ACII jump from being one of my least favorite games in the series to easily into my top five.

ACB- Da Vinci disappearance is entertaining enough, and gives you more closure on Leonardo if you enjoyed him as a character. There are also some interesting missions that take place out of the standard Rome map. It's certainly not necessary to have, though.

ACR- The only main DLC that I don't have, I guess I can't really judge it too harshly. Again, as Phoenix said, it's the Desmond puzzle jumping thing. Interesting MD development, but it won't sate your 3rd person historical action adventure fix like almost all other gameplay in the series. Whether this is a good or bad thing is totally up to you.

ACIII- TOKW is pretty okay. There are some cool things, there are some chores. Personally, I think the DLC is waaay overpriced for what it is (unless it's on sale, it'll set you back almost 30 USD total). It brings some interesting gameplay into the mix, though, that may appeal to people like Mike FNY in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1449976-Hidden-Blade-Customization), who appreciate a more puzzle-centered game that focuses on using the right tool (or ability) for the job. In fact, that applies to a lot of the other DLC too, particularly Dead Kings and a little bit of JTR.

Black Flag- I have this on 360 so I missed the Aveline missions, but Freedom Cry is pretty good. Adewale is one of my favorite Assassins, though, so maybe I'm a tad bit biased.

Dead Kings- As I mentioned earlier, this is pretty puzzle-centric. It's kind of drab, not a really fun adventure, and probably my least favorite DLC. Arno has a little bit of character development here, which I feel like could have really paid off if we'd gotten him in another game, but alas... There is a lot of side content here, though, that I guess makes up for the lackluster story, including missions and new gear/weapons.

Syndicate- Haven't played Maharaja yet, but I like JTR. I know some people found it in poor taste (too soon?) but I thought that playing as Jack was brilliant- in fact, I wanted more of it! The story was decent enough, but the ending (like a lot of DLC) seemed rushed and didn't have a ton of pay off.

VestigialLlama4
05-24-2016, 07:10 AM
The DLC is the best of the AC games. The most amazing concept and the most interesting and rewarding in terms of character.

SixKeys
05-24-2016, 07:20 AM
The best DLCs are the AC2 ones - which I don't really count as DLC, considering they're simply cut content that should have been part of the main game to begin with - and AC4's Freedom Cry.

Brotherhood's is good, though nothing special. Revelations' is skippable unless you love the Desmond platforming in the main game. The first episode of AC3's DLC is fine, the other two are awful. Unity's is so-so. Syndicate's Jack the Ripper is terrible, I couldn't finish it.

Sickboy7979
05-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just started Rogue a couple days ago. Loving it so far. Then I have Unity and Syndicate to beat after that. I'll probably hold off on the DLC for a bit until I finish those first. But, this is a great guide of what is worth checking out. Thanks again.